Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1039401 - 01/07/07 10:09 PM How long does it take to master the piano?
Donatus Offline

Loc: Shawnee, KS
I know this question might have already been answered but im new to the forum and i didn't wanna go through 50,000 pages trying to find the answer but i really wanna know

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1039402 - 01/07/07 10:21 PM Re: How long does it take to master the piano?
Mountain Ash Offline

Loc: Canberra, Australia
That depends on how much you practice. ;\)

#1039403 - 01/07/07 10:21 PM Re: How long does it take to master the piano?
Grane Offline

Loc: Greater Miami
First, what's the definition of Master? Is it playing all the notes? Is it making music? Is it playing level 10 pieces (the professional repertoire)? Is is playing by ear?

Second, assuming you are striving for playing the difficult pieces, it depends on your age, how musical you are, how hard you work, how well you are taught/having a good teacher, how you use your brain and not just rote practice...

Third, assuming you do all of the above and start under age 12, you can be pretty good in a few years. If you start seriously after 18 or so, it will take longer (for most). Very, very few professionals made it starting in their late teens.

So, how old are you? How many hours a day will you work? How musical are you?

Grane

#1039404 - 01/07/07 10:24 PM Re: How long does it take to master the piano?
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
it's going to take a long time if you start from ground 0. it also depends on individual, since some have more talent than others or some work harder than others and etc.... basically, there's no definite answer on this.

#1039405 - 01/07/07 10:26 PM Re: How long does it take to master the piano?
BB Player Offline

Loc: Not in Texas
 Quote:
Originally posted by Donatus:
I know this question might have already been answered but im new to the forum and i didn't wanna go through 50,000 pages trying to find the answer but i really wanna know [/b]
Two weeks.

#1039406 - 01/07/07 10:33 PM Re: How long does it take to master the piano?
Copper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia
 Quote:
Originally posted by C7 Player:
Two weeks. [/b]
Three or four for some people, if you have other commitments it can slow things down.

#1039407 - 01/07/07 10:34 PM Re: How long does it take to master the piano?
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
never....
which is why it's so addictive.

Sophia

#1039408 - 01/07/07 10:39 PM Re: How long does it take to master the piano?
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
\:D \:D \:D

Man, I am seriously[/b] behind schedule!

Welcome to the forum, Donatus, and please excuse our wise-cracking.

People who have studied expertise find, as a general rule, it takes about 8-10 years to become an expert in anything.

Of course, that's just a general rule and there are a gazillion exceptions, and your rate of progress will depend on how much time and effort you're willing to expend on piano.

Note that's the amount of time required to become "expert" at something. If you practice regularly and efficiently, you can be sounding very good in much less time...

Your question was phrased, though, with respect to how long it would take you to "master" the piano. I don't know the answer to that because I don't know what you mean by "mastering" the piano. On another thread in the pianist corner Sam posted a link to a video of Cziffra playing "Flight of the Bumblebee." I would say HE has mastered the piano, and I would also say that the odds of either you or I playing like that are nonexistent. The term "mastered" also connotes some sort of finality, i.e., that you've learned it all, and I guess I feel that very few people ever get to the stage where they can be considered as having learned it all.

All in all, it might be best if you reframe your question as "how long does it take to sound pretty good?", and the answer is reassuringly "not very long at all." \:\)

#1039409 - 01/08/07 03:27 PM Re: How long does it take to master the piano?
mdsdurango Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Durango Colorado
"All in all, it might be best if you reframe your question as "how long does it take to sound pretty good?", and the answer is reassuringly "not very long at all."

At least to others listening. My friends all tell me I am very good. To me - I am really not very good at all.

Have you ever seen that chart of the history of the worlds population? It's a long horizontal line inching slowly upwards then curving dramatically up at the end. So too is it with mastery. Very few ever find their way to the top of the vertical line yet there are many of varying accomplishment along the horizontal line.
There is probably a name for such a chart but I sure do not know it. I am a master at nothing.
No, I take that back - I am a master procrastinator. Still, I do practice every day. It's the one thing I do not put off.

Mike

#1039410 - 01/08/07 03:39 PM Re: How long does it take to master the piano?
Kawaigirl1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
I'd say...a Life Time.....

flickr

#1039411 - 01/08/07 04:21 PM Re: How long does it take to master the piano?
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
 Quote:
Originally posted by mdsdurango:
Have you ever seen that chart of the history of the worlds population? It's a long horizontal line inching slowly upwards then curving dramatically up at the end. So too is it with mastery. Very few ever find their way to the top of the vertical line yet there are many of varying accomplishment along the horizontal line.
There is probably a name for such a chart but I sure do not know it. [/b]
It's your classic exponential function, Mike. \:\)

#1039412 - 01/08/07 05:56 PM Re: How long does it take to master the piano?
mdsdurango Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Durango Colorado
Thank you Monica,
Some how I just knew you would know.
Does it work for "mastery"? It makes sense to me but I must admit to knowing near nothing about graphs.

Mike

#1039413 - 01/08/07 06:00 PM Re: How long does it take to master the piano?
briiian13 Offline

Loc: Orange County
although it is desirable to get to a certain skilled level or mastery,
for me it is not the end i am concerned with more so I am with the process itself.
i enjoy playing and practicing piano period.

#1039414 - 01/08/07 06:21 PM Re: How long does it take to master the piano?
BB Player Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Monica Kern:
It's your classic exponential function, Mike. \:\)
Hold on just a goldurned minute, I'm the mathematician round these here parts.

It's your classic exponential function, Mike.

Glad we got that settled \:D

#1039415 - 01/08/07 06:33 PM Re: How long does it take to master the piano?
Van Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: S. California
Bad analogy actually, the real population graphs has a plateau and die-off phase at the end.

Better graph would be the bell shaped distribution with standard deviations.

#1039416 - 01/08/07 06:43 PM Re: How long does it take to master the piano?
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by C7 Player:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Donatus:
I know this question might have already been answered but im new to the forum and i didn't wanna go through 50,000 pages trying to find the answer but i really wanna know [/b]
Two weeks. [/b]
yeah, 2 weeks for old people ;\) for me,....ehh give me 5 days \:D

#1039417 - 01/08/07 06:51 PM Re: How long does it take to master the piano?
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: not in Japan anymore
Monica, I'd never heard that it takes 8-10 years to become an expert, that's really interesting. On the one hand, it sounds about right, but on the other hand I'm thinking it's dangerous to put things in terms of years, because it makes such a difference how one spends one time. Oh, and I'd like to know how those researchers defined expertise too. \:\)

In any case, it's especially interesting to think about it from my own experiences with piano (7plus years) and Japanese as a second language (about 13 years now.)

I remember one point a few years ago where I was feeling especially discouraged in my piano progress. Maybe I had been playing for just about 3 years, and I thought I should be much better than I was. I was comparing my piano progress to my Japanese progress and thinking that I was so much further along in Japanese at the 3-year point. But then I remembered that with regard to foreign languages, people often talk about hours of study (rather than years or just time from beginning study.) When I first studied Japanese, I did two summer intensives and 4 regular college semesters, so I was able to work through 4 years of courses in 2 years. So I realized that the first two years of my piano study could in no way compare to the first two years of my Japanese study, because of how many actual hours were spent for each.

At the same time, I've read that people say that there's only so much you can progress at the piano (and probably at other things.) If one person practices only 1 hour a day, and another practices 2 hours a day, (all other things being equal, which we know they usually aren't!) then the 2-hour person will progress faster. But after a certain point (4 hours? I can't remember) then there's not much difference in progress (so you could practice 4 hours or 8) and you still need to spend the time day-to-day, over time. I think this is because somethings need to sort of settle in, and we need time to process what we're learning. So obviously, you can accelerate your progress, up to a point, but ultimately there are no short cuts.

Sorry for the rambling! Getting back to Donatus's original question, as everyone has said, you need to define what you mean by master. I personally would say, based on my own definition of mastery, that we can never master the piano. But I think we can always get progressively better (thank goodness!)

If you practice consistently, and use effective practive methods (and those are very big IFs) then in a year you should be playing pieces that are recongizable and musically enjoyable. In two years, you might be able to play music you think is worth sharing. In three years, you may find yourself playing something you've always wanted to play. In four years, you'll realize you can't play at all and will be disgusted at your lack of progress. In five years, you'll think you're pretty good, and wonder why people aren't moved to tears when you play for them. In six years, you realize how far you've come, and how far you have yet to go. In seven years, you'll realize that you're not that bad, and not that good either, but you won't care because you'll be playing music that you love and it will fill your days with joy.

Oh, wait. That's me I'm talking about! :p

#1039418 - 01/08/07 07:08 PM Re: How long does it take to master the piano?
Reaper978 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'd expect that if you worked very hard and have the right motivation, you could master the instrument in 15-30 years. An important point has been brought up, "what is a master?" To me, a master is someone who can play any of the classical repertoire, has an enormous repertoire, has an unstoppable technique, can sight-read magnificently, and can do just about everything conceivable on the instrument with little to no difficulty, improvise, compose, play by ear, play by sight-reading, etc. This is mastery. And it is possible. But this is merely a boy of 17 speaking, with about two years of piano experience. Still, I have progressed magnificently in such a short amount of time, if I do say so myself. I've had plenty of days where I've spent over 4 or 5 hours on the keyboard.

That's why there are so few masters. And that is why I will become one, whether it takes me 10 years or 50.

#1039419 - 01/08/07 07:09 PM Re: How long does it take to master the piano?
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

To the original question I'll ask this simple question that depends on many variables and is as unanswerable:

How long is a rope?

#1039420 - 01/08/07 07:14 PM Re: How long does it take to master the piano?
BB Player Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Lisztener:
To the original question I'll ask this simple question that depends on many variables and is as unanswerable:

How long is a rope? [/b]
How high is up?

#1039421 - 01/08/07 07:19 PM Re: How long does it take to master the piano?
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

Exactly! \:D

#1039422 - 01/08/07 07:28 PM Re: How long does it take to master the piano?
playliszt Offline

Loc: Oh/Fla
Metric or English Units?

#1039423 - 01/08/07 07:40 PM Re: How long does it take to master the piano?
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
A rope comes in three lenghths: 12 feet, 24 feet and also 36 feet.

How high is up?.... more than 8 feet or taller than your reach standing.

Piano playing time frames (in general).

0-6 mos = Novice.
6 mos- 1 year = Beginer
1 year- 1 1/2 years = Advanced Beginer
1 1/2 years - 2 years = begining intermediate.
2 years - 2 1/2 years = intermediate
2 1/2 years - 3 years = still an intermediate!
3 years - 4 years = advanced intermediate.

There are so many different levels of "accomplished" piano players that I won't even begin to guess what that takes. Besides, I don't know if someone can ever truly "master" anything at all as that may imply no further learning or improvement is possible.

NOTE: These are all facts, not just some arbitrary crap I made up! :p

#1039424 - 01/08/07 07:45 PM Re: How long does it take to master the piano?
fingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Westchester, NY
How long?

As long as it takes to master oneself.

Regards,
fingers

#1039425 - 01/08/07 08:19 PM Re: How long does it take to master the piano?
Haizel Offline

Loc: NewYork
I have 3 years of lessons experience and I find it hard to pick any of those easy classical pieces without my teacher’s instruction combined with lots of hours of practice which progressing is very slow so I notice the more I practice and play the more I hear how many mistakes I have to be corrected so that means to start all over. Its like a catch 22, so because of my true love for the piano I don’t give up my hope, It helps me a lot when I read other Ab post in this forum. I believe maybe one day I will be able to play well. My teacher thinks I’m hard on myself. I know I’m not hard on myself but I’m realistic and feel I’m inadequate mostly.

#1039426 - 01/08/07 08:33 PM Re: How long does it take to master the piano?
Donatus Offline

Loc: Shawnee, KS
 Quote:
Originally posted by Grane:
First, what's the definition of Master? Is it playing all the notes? Is it making music? Is it playing level 10 pieces (the professional repertoire)? Is is playing by ear?

Second, assuming you are striving for playing the difficult pieces, it depends on your age, how musical you are, how hard you work, how well you are taught/having a good teacher, how you use your brain and not just rote practice...

Third, assuming you do all of the above and start under age 12, you can be pretty good in a few years. If you start seriously after 18 or so, it will take longer (for most). Very, very few professionals made it starting in their late teens.

So, how old are you? How many hours a day will you work? How musical are you?

Grane [/b]
im 19 so far i practice 4 like 2 hours a day or more i do it 4 only 2 hours on my work days and more than 2 on my days off. How musical am i? idk i listen to music alot and i been trying to make beats since 04

My definition of master basically means to play anything i hear in my head instantly. I wanna be able to play with expression. I believe achieving this will greatly improve the way i make beats and cut time down to like 30 mins at most instead of taking like 4 hours for a crappy song.

Examples: Scott Storch, JR Rotem

#1039427 - 01/08/07 10:26 PM Re: How long does it take to master the piano?
Copper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia
 Quote:
Originally posted by mr_super-hunky:
A rope comes in three lenghths: 12 feet, 24 feet and also 36 feet.[/b]
Why does this guy make me laugh out loud? It's not that funny.

I never heard an answer to that question before.

#1039428 - 01/08/07 10:30 PM Re: How long does it take to master the piano?
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
he probably meant that different people have different ability/talent level (i.e. different in 'length') and therefore, it would take longer for someone to learn piano than others, depending on the 'length'... funny enough now?

#1039429 - 01/08/07 10:49 PM Re: How long does it take to master the piano?
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

ahh! Rope lengthes, practice times, catch 22???!!!?? What kind of forum is this? a piano forum? I think not \:D

Matt

#1039430 - 01/09/07 12:07 AM Re: How long does it take to master the piano?
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
Signa,

You are a very observant person. ;\)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
112 registered (Atrys, a_dee, AZ_Astro, accordeur, antony, AZNpiano, 25 invisible), 1329 Guests and 51 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153514 Topics
2249606 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Morning Mist: a ballade for piano
by JoelW
38 minutes 23 seconds ago
Insanity
by Polyphonist
Yesterday at 11:55 PM
Yamaha P140 sluggish keys : how to fix?
by Bambell
Yesterday at 11:52 PM
Cristina Perri - HUMAN piano cover
by SAO
Yesterday at 11:12 PM
Valentina Lisitsa plays Michael Nyman!!
by ShiroKuro
Yesterday at 10:17 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission