Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
81 registered (anotherscott, anamnesis, 28 invisible), 1189 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1013272 - 03/19/07 05:25 PM Help me put together a how-to for the Zoom H4
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: not in Japan anymore
This is a step-by-step How-to for the Zoom H4[/b]
I will be adding to it as I do more recording myself, so for now consider it a work in progress. Please post any additions or suggestions.

Getting ready to record[/b]
1) You need either 2 AA batteries or the adapter.

2) You might want to use a camera tripod, in which case you need to use the holder that comes with the Zoom.

3) You have to put the SD card into the Zoom. But be aware that the 128mb SD card will only give you about 12 minutes of recording time for a WAV file, so a 1G or 2G card is recommended.

4) You don't need to install Cubase (which comes with the Zoom) on your computer, your computer should recognize the Zoom (connected with the USB cable) even without the drivers that Cubase provides.

5) However you will likely want some program to allow you to convert from WAV to MP3 and do simple editing (even if it's only cutting the dead space off at the beginning and end.) Cubase will let you do this, but some people feel it's difficult to use. Many PW posters use Audacity, which is available for free download and fairly easy to use.

Recording Format[/b]
1) You can choose to record either in WAV or MP3. An MP3 is a much smaller format, but a WAV file _____ what? fill in the blank here please! "sounds better? has less loss?"[/b] This is why most people recommend recording as a WAV file, and only converting to MP3 (after all editing has been finished) if you need a smaller file for emailing and internet. There several different programs (some available for free) which allow you to make this conversion, including Cubase, Audacity any other programs I should list here? it doesn't have to be an all-encompassing list, but more than two would probably be good![/b]

2) You can select three different frequencies levels: 44.1kHz, 48kHz or 96kHz. what information can I put here to help people understand the differences in these frequencies and which one they want for their purposes?[/b]

Recording[/b]
1) The Zoom has three recording settings: L, M and H (low, medium and high.) For piano, most people recommend either L or M, since recording on H often results in clipping (i.e the piano's volume is too loud for the Zoom's capacity.)

2) In addition to the L, M, H mic settings, there are also gain settings. You should use these in order to prevent distortion while still having sufficient volume. Gain is discussed on page 32 of the manual. See step 8 for a brief look at auto-gain.

3) You can use auto-gain when recording by going to the INPUT MENU and moving the jog dial to "auto-gain" and selecting "on." When you record, press the red dot once and it will start to flash. Play the loudest part of your piece for a few seconds. Press the red dot again to start recording. Auto-gain is discussed on page 33 of the manual.

4) You will have to experiement with where to place the Zoom when recording. People have recorded with the Zoom sitting directly on the piano, under for a grand, behind the pianist, to one side of the piano etc. Each placement results in a different sound, so there's no one recommended placement.

After you've finished recording[/b]
1) You can use headphones to listen to your recording while it's still in the Zoom.

2) Don't rename or delete your files (recordings) using the controls on the Zoom, do that after you've hooked the Zoom up to your computer.

3) You can remove the SD card and insert it into you computer to transfer files. Or go to step 11 to connect with USB.

4) To connect the Zoom to the computer, use the USB. Verify that the recorder is stopped. Press the center of the menu key. Move the jog down up or down to USB then press to select. Next choose "connect to PC." When the message "now connecting to PC" appears, your computer recognizes the Zoom as an external harddrive and you can copy, delete or rename files this way.

5) To terminate the connection between the Zoom and computer, cancel the online condition selecting the "safely remove hardware" option on your computer.

Editing your recording[/b]
1) One way to edit your recording is to use Audacity. Opening the WAV file into Audacity will allow you to cut the dead space at beginning and end of your recording, and also allow you to convert from WAV to MP3 easily.

2) Editing the volume. You record on the Zoom's L setting and then normalize with Audacity. Import your WAV file into audacity, and then "edit-select all" and then "effect -- normalize". That will boost the volume.

3) If you want to send your recordings in email or upload them for internet use, you probably want to convert them to MP3 files. But if you are making an audio file, consider leaving them as WAV files and putting those directly onto the CD. The sound quality should be better.

Extra Information[/b]
CubaseLE editiing instructions
Using Audacity video tutorial
Zoom Mega-Thread in the Piano Forum
Where to place mic for grand or upright recording, w/ illustrations
Samson company website
Zoom company website
Zoom H4 manual online

This How-to has been edited 11 times.[/b]

The information in this How-to comes from a combination of my own reading/experience, Ragtime and Monica's posts in the Zoom thread, and comments from other posters in this thread.

---------------------------------------
Here's the background for this thread:

I got my Zoom almost a month ago, but I wasn't ready to record, so I never even took it out of the box.

Now I am finally ready to record, and was looking through that 15 page Zoom monster-thread, trying to keep my head above water! So I'm thinking we really need a one-page how-to. Who would like to help me make one? (Monica, that means you! \:D )

What I'd like to do is slowly put together a step-by-step, and then eventually I'll put that at the top of this thread and change the title. I am re-reading that monster-thread and will add from it as I go.

I'm starting assuming that someone has just opened their Zoom box (um, that would be me.)

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1013273 - 03/19/07 09:01 PM Re: Help me put together a how-to for the Zoom H4
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
ShiroKuro, strictly speaking you don't need a program like Audacity or Cubase, especially if you are good at setting the gain levels initially as you're recording. But in practice most users probably WOULD use such a program, both to normalize the recordings and convert a .wav file to .mp3 and to delete dead space at the begining and end of each track. There is also an audible "click" as you press the red dot on and off, which I like to delete. I've never tried Cubase, but what I gleaned from the Zoom mega-thread is that while Cubase is ultimately more powerful and allows you to do more complex editing, it's a lot harder to figure out. I stuck with Audacity as it's quite easy to use, even for a non-computer person like me.

I also recommend using the power adaptor unless you're taking the Zoom on a road trip and don't have an outlet handy. The batteries only last about two hours, so you'd go through them pretty quickly if that's what you relied on. And there's no handy "low battery" warning; you merely discover that the perfect take you just played with no mistakes whatsoever and great expression didn't get recorded because the batteries ran out.

My main make-your-life-easier suggestion is that you DON'T rename or delete files through the Zoom, which is a laborious pain in the butt process, but rather do all that after you've hooked the Zoom up to the computer.

#1013274 - 03/19/07 10:13 PM Re: Help me put together a how-to for the Zoom H4
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

SK,

The factory presets the Zoom for recording Wav (.wav) format at 44.1 khz. (green light No. 3 on the face of the Zoom) I recommend you leave this setting where it is. Wav files contain as much data as native CD files, however, Wav files eat a lot of memory. The 128 megabyte SD card included with the Zoom will give you app. 12 minutes of recording time. I suggest you get at least a 1 Gigabyte SD card. 12 minutes passes very quickly when starting, stopping and restarting the record button. Another reason for working with the presets is that some folks have not been able to get Audacity to recognize files in other formats than wav at different khz levels.

Monica is correct about the difficulty using Cubase. I use Audacity, which is freeware and does a good job of converting from the large wav files to mp3 files. For most of us it is wise to normalize the file to get the volume at a good level. Be sure to get the "Lame" files recommended when you begin installation of Audacity.

The Zoom is also a dedicated SD card reader. This means that you don't need to turn the Zoom on to transfer files to your computer. When ready to transfer, use the supplied USB cable plugged into both your Zoom and your computer. You'll see in the display window, "USB MODE SELECT." The little arrow defaults to "AUDIO I/O." You DON'T want this setting. Use your jog button to scroll down to "CONNECT TO PC" push in on the jog button and your computer will supply the power to the Zoom and create a temporary drive that contains your recorded Zoom .ste files. From here you can transfer the files to any other folder on your computer. Once transferred, you can delete the .ste files from the temporary drive using your computer. This will clear the files from the Zoom's SD card and you'll be ready to record again.

Transferring and deleting in this way makes it possible to never have to remove your SD card from the Zoom just to make the transfer. Excellent feature!

Good luck!

#1013275 - 03/19/07 10:56 PM Re: Help me put together a how-to for the Zoom H4
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
Unlike Monica, I always operate my Zoom on batteries. The adaptor has never been taken out of the package. I've yet to have a recording fail because the batteries ran out of "juice" during it. Now, this may happen the next time I use it, but so far, so good. I have noticed several times upon ending a recording that the Zoom's little LCD screen says "Low Battery." When I see this I replace the batteries in the unit. The main reason I bought the thing was to eliminate fooling with cables and such. Doggoned if I'm going to start stringing wires for the Zoom thingie. \:D I also do not connect the Zoom to my computer for playback. I remove the SD card and insert that into my computer's card reader. Of course, not all computers have those, though.

I, too, have stuck with Audacity. Cubase has a very steep learning curve, and I am unwilling to invest the time to learn how to use it properly. Audacity is simple and easy to use. Well, at least it seems that way now. At first I found it somewhat challenging to record with, but after a few tries, it is now second nature. By the way, Audacity is always coming out with newer versions. You may want to check frequently for newer versions, or you may want to follow the old adage "if it ain't broke don't fix it." I am one who always has to try the newest version, and I am currently using a beta version of Audacity which I really like.

Good luck with your recording. You will probably want to set the mic level to either M or L and normalize the recording with Audacity. Setting the mic level to H will result in clipping. Sometimes M will also result in clipping depending on microphone placement and how loudly you play. I have recorded with the Zoom sitting on the plate, on the music desk, on a shelf over my left shoulder as I play, on the back of the sofa, and across the room on the island / breakfast counter. Each produces a somewhat different sound. The plate gives a very clear bright sound but with some distortion that is probably caused by the sound reflecting off the lid and back again or something like that. The shelf over my left shoulder seems to give me the sound that I prefer most, but it does tend to pick up extraneous noises more. Across the room gives a very "airy" recording with lots of room acoustic. The sofa back proved to be unacceptable to my ears. I think the cushions probably absorb too much of the sound before it reaches the mics. I'm not an expert. These are simply my observations thus far.

flickr

#1013276 - 03/19/07 11:01 PM Re: Help me put together a how-to for the Zoom H4
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
I failed to mention my experience with placing the Zoom on the music desk. If I place it on the left I find the bass unacceptably "boomy," and if I place it on the right I feel that it makes the piano sound overly "bright."

flickr

#1013277 - 03/20/07 02:58 AM Re: Help me put together a how-to for the Zoom H4
stephenc Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
does the zoom double as a standalone mic? That is, could one record directly onto the computer through the zoom's mikes?

#1013278 - 03/20/07 08:15 AM Re: Help me put together a how-to for the Zoom H4
Monica K. Offline

I don't think so, stephenc.

TX-Dennis: so there IS a low battery warning! Guess I should look at that screen every once in a while, huh? \:D (In my defense, that screen is awfully itty-bitty and hard to read.)

#1013279 - 03/20/07 09:23 AM Re: Help me put together a how-to for the Zoom H4
Ozor Mox Offline

Loc: Hampshire, England
 Quote:
I don't think so, stephenc.
Can it not be plugged in using the sockets on the bottom of the unit or is that just for plugging it in to a MIDI source like a digital piano?

Also, from what was said above, does that mean if I plug my Zoom into my computer with the USB cable (I haven't done this yet!) it appears as a removable disk drive? This would mean I can use it on Linux as well.

#1013280 - 03/20/07 09:32 AM Re: Help me put together a how-to for the Zoom H4
Monica K. Offline

The sockets on the bottom are the external mic inputs (but you can also plug in your digital piano outputs). But in each case the recording gets done on the Zoom itself. I don't see how you can get just the mic output to your computer. But I will admit to being just about the least computer/AV equipment savvy person on this forum. [Edit: See Ragtime88's post on later on in this thread. I was wrong about this, and you CAN use the Zoom's mics as stand-alones and record directly onto the computer.]

But I AM glad that I know the answer to your second question: Yes, once you use the USB cable to hook the Zoom up to your computer, your computer treats it as a removable external hard drive.

#1013281 - 03/20/07 09:37 AM Re: Help me put together a how-to for the Zoom H4
Ozor Mox Offline

Ah ok yes if those sockets are used for plugging in external mics, presumably if you want a higher quality than the built in ones, then they will not do what stephenc and I were suggesting.

Still the second point is good news indeed and means it doesn't matter anyway!

#1013282 - 03/20/07 06:15 PM Re: Help me put together a how-to for the Zoom H4
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Ok, I made some additions and changes, I would appreciate it if someone could check those, and please make any more suggestions that you might think of. But remember that my purpose here is to make this as concise and simple as possible, and to have it be a sort of step-by-step that a person could use for the first time. After a few times recording, I'm assuming that people will be able to experiement more on their own.

Thanks again!

#1013283 - 03/20/07 06:16 PM Re: Help me put together a how-to for the Zoom H4
Bob Griffin Offline

Loc: Sacramento, California
I kind of hate to let the cat out of the bag, but using audacity, you can edit out mistakes and avoid having to start over and over while recording. There is nothing worse than jumping up and down and restarting all the time, only to mess up again.

http://www.rbvt.com/usingaudacity/usingaudacity.html

This tutorial will teach you how to simply cut out the errors. So, if you mess up, pause a moment, then restart at the last point and play on. You can do this over and over(take if from this choke artist) and simply cut out the errors later. I want to let you all know that my recordings I have posted were not edited, but that won't stop me from exercising this "right" later.

After transferring the wave file, normalize it by highlighting the entire file and using effects drop down menu, choose normalize. This will increase the volume and quality. Then, you listen to it and you can cut out pauses, brain lapses, whatever. I record using low or medium gain, and usually on a shelf above the piano.

After you have the file all cleaned up and are satisfied, export it as a MP3 file to your music or documents and then you can post it on Box net or send it via emails.

After downloading Audacity, you need to also download another file called Lame.dll from another site in order to do the conversion to MP3. I can check back on this thread and post a link to that if anyone is having trouble.

#1013284 - 03/20/07 06:23 PM Re: Help me put together a how-to for the Zoom H4
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Bob, thanks for posting that. I hate to sound thick, but I'm not going to add that to my Zoom How-to, since it's about Audacity. However, would you like to start an Audacity How-to thread?

Ultimately, I plan to separate my steps into categories, so that a first-time using can easily scan just one post (or print it out if he or she desires) instead of having to read through multi-page posts to get the necessary info. If you'd like to do something similar for Audacity, I am sure it would become a useful resource.

#1013285 - 03/20/07 06:36 PM Re: Help me put together a how-to for the Zoom H4
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Bob, I lied! \:D I put your link in my list. Thanks!

#1013286 - 03/20/07 06:55 PM Re: Help me put together a how-to for the Zoom H4
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Ok, please clear this up for me. Do you have to load Cubase first or not? Or, if you don't have to[/b] load it, is it still better to do that anyway?

In the Zoom thread, Ragtime said:
 Quote:
Load Cubase on your PC before connecting USB cable to h4. All the "drivers" are there and then the PC will recognize the h4 automatically.
But others say you don't have to do this.

#1013287 - 03/20/07 06:59 PM Re: Help me put together a how-to for the Zoom H4
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

So for the streaming-posting, but getting through that 15 page thread is a real... challenge.

Monica, what was the conclusion on using Auto-gain? To use or not to use, that is the question. :p Or rather, do you use it now that you've been Zooming for awhile? Do you start by trying to get a loudness setting using the loudest part of the piece? What is the difference between gain (or auto-gain) and those L, M, H settings?

#1013288 - 03/20/07 07:34 PM Re: Help me put together a how-to for the Zoom H4
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Did anyone do the Zoom software update that is available here:

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/download/software/h4.php

Is it necessary?

#1013289 - 03/20/07 08:08 PM Re: Help me put together a how-to for the Zoom H4
Ozor Mox Offline

ShiroKuro, I'm positive that installing Cubase is not necessary to use the Zoom with your computer. Since Cubase is a full-featured program, it just allows you to import your recordings and edit them in a similar way to what you can do with Audacity. But since the Zoom appears as a removable disk drive when connected with USB, you'd be able to use anything you like with your recorded sound files.

#1013290 - 03/20/07 08:14 PM Re: Help me put together a how-to for the Zoom H4
Monica K. Offline

My understanding is that the software update was necessary only for people using Macs, so I didn't bother. I'd have to wade through that 15 page mega-thread to double-check for sure, though, which I don't want to do any more than you do. \:D

I have more definite answers to your other questions:

1.) No, you don't have to load Cubase. In fact, my impression is that most of us Zoomies are using Audacity.

2.) Some people argue that you get better results setting the gain levels manually. (You can fine tune them more closely than just the default L, M, and H settings; see instructions on p. 32.) While I suspect they're right, I haven't tried the manual gain settings myself, because it requires fussing around with the jog dial while you're playing the loudest part of your piece, and I don't have three hands. \:D I rely instead on auto-gain, as it is easier to do. You just have to set it up once and then it is the default for whenever you use your Zoom. The instructions for doing so are on p. 33, but basically you just press the bottom of the round menu key to get to the INPUT MENU, then move the jog dial (weird switch on right of the Zoom) until it shows "auto gain" and then press the jog dial in until it says "on." It will always stay on after that unless you change it. Then when you're recording, press the red dot once, and it will start to flash. Play the loudest part of your piece at that point for a few seconds. Then press the red dot again and it will record in earnest.

3.) The auto-gain and manual gain adjustments are different than simply setting it on L, M, H, and you should use one of them in addition to the mic gain setting. Just setting it on one of the 3 settings will lead either to recordings that are too soft or have distortion. The manual or auto-gain adjustment allows you to get (ideally) a recording that is sufficiently loud, but without distortion.

#1013291 - 03/20/07 08:36 PM Re: Help me put together a how-to for the Zoom H4
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Monica and Ozor, thanks. I may some more additions and changes to reflect your answers.

Now if someone can answer my question in number 14 of the list, that would be very helpful.

Monica, I did indeed re-read the entire 15 page thread! (someone gimme a cookie for that! \:D ) So I think I got all the relevent info from there. Oh, and I don't think anyone needs the software patch unless they are a Mac user.

Thanks again everyone. Now I am actually going to go and .... record!

#1013292 - 03/20/07 08:58 PM Re: Help me put together a how-to for the Zoom H4
Bob Griffin Offline

Loc: Sacramento, California
You can simply disconnect the zoom from the computer. The files will remain on the zoom. The file you are working on will remain in Audacity until to export(send) it somewhere or close audacity. I recommend the link I provided for Audacity. There is a voice that speaks to you and shows you what to do and what the capabilities are.

After disconnecting the zoom, hit the round button a couple times to return to the record mode. Use the file menu and the little toggle button on the right side to delete the files or delete them from windows player if you are listening to them and don't want to keep them.

#1013293 - 03/20/07 09:38 PM Re: Help me put together a how-to for the Zoom H4
Monica K. Offline

I wasn't quite sure what procedure was being referenced in your question 14.

All I do to terminate the Zoom-computer connection is to pull the plug, er, cable. \:D

#1013294 - 03/21/07 12:40 AM Re: Help me put together a how-to for the Zoom H4
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

SK,

Simply unplug the Zoom from the computer and the temporary drive will disappear as mentioned by Monica. If you have saved the files to another folder on your computer, they are safe. I've heard mention of deleting the Zoom .ste files one at a time using the Zoom to delete after disconnect from the computer. This is a waste of time when they can be deleted all at once while plugged into the USB port. Just go to the temporary drive, highlight the files and press delete. (Sorry, Bob, no offense intended)

Cubase is not necessary at all when using Audacity.

The HTML file linking to Audacity help cannot be downloaded to your computer. You must use it while connected to the provided link.

Good luck,

#1013295 - 03/21/07 11:24 AM Re: Help me put together a how-to for the Zoom H4
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
Monica, you mentioned not that long ago that there was soon to be another ZOOM coming out. ONe less expensive then the current one that most of you have, AND which would not accept outside mics.

I have been watching for this, since I doubt if I'll ever spend the monies on better external mics.

Do you or anyone else out there know when it is available?

I think this could be relevant to this thread.

Thank you, LL

#1013296 - 03/21/07 11:30 AM Re: Help me put together a how-to for the Zoom H4
Monica K. Offline

I just googled "Zoom H2," Lilylady, and found this review that says the H2 will be available this "spring or summer."

In looking over the Zoom H2 review , it says that the H2 does not have the XLR inputs the way the H4 does, but that it has 1/8" input and mic connections. So now I'm not so sure whether it will take external mics or not or what the difference is.

Looking at the photo of it, the H2 doesn't appear to have the stereo mics. So maybe I got it all backwards (wouldn't be the first time) and that the new Zoom ONLY takes external mics and doesn't have the internal mics.

Could somebody who actually knows something about recording (= not me) read this review and report back to clarify the differences between the H4 and H2?

#1013297 - 03/21/07 12:49 PM Re: Help me put together a how-to for the Zoom H4
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
not needed

#1013298 - 03/21/07 05:30 PM Re: Help me put together a how-to for the Zoom H4
Ragtime88 Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
 Quote:
Originally posted by stephenc:
does the zoom double as a standalone mic? That is, could one record directly onto the computer through the zoom's mikes? [/b]
Actually you *can* do this. See page 80 of the manual: "Using the H4 as an audio interface for a computer."

Thanks to ShiroKuro for rescuing this thread. \:\)

Cheers.

#1013299 - 03/21/07 06:43 PM Re: Help me put together a how-to for the Zoom H4
Ragtime88 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Ok, please clear this up for me. Do you have to load Cubase first or not? Or, if you don't have to[/b] load it, is it still better to do that anyway?

In the Zoom thread, Ragtime said:
 Quote:
Load Cubase on your PC before connecting USB cable to h4. All the "drivers" are there and then the PC will recognize the h4 automatically.
But others say you don't have to do this. [/b]
I've reread the installation instructions and looked at the Cubase cd. I think it is possible that a computer will recognize the memory chip in the H4 without having to load any additional drivers -- that is, without having to load the Cubase software.

The Cubase CD does contain, however, the drivers that you need if you want to use the H4 as a digital interface for direct recording to your computer. This subject has come up several times already in this thread. You can fire up Cubase and do a live recording on your computer using mics in the H4, or external sound sources. Essentially, the H4 becomes a substitute for a stereo recording sound card.

#1013300 - 03/21/07 09:12 PM Re: Help me put together a how-to for the Zoom H4
Ragtime88 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:

14) To terminate the connection between the Zoom and computer, cancel the online condition at the computer. what does that mean?! how do you do that? please answer and I will edit this[/b]
Can someone please answer my question in number 14?[/b]
[/b]
While the H4 is connected to the computer's USB port and active, you can find a "Safely Remove Hardware" icon on the lower right hand side of your screen. It's down where the time is on my machine (XP). You may have to click the "Show Hidden Icons" arrow to find it. When you hover your cursor over this icon, it will say "Safely Remove Hardware".

Left click on the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon. It will say something like "Safely Remove USB Mass Storage Device - Drive(E:)". Put the cursor over that message and click again. You will (eventually?) get a little message balloon that says "The USB Mass Storage Device can now be safely removed from the system."

Unplug 'er.

I'll bet all of you were just unplugging it anyway. That's actually ok, as long as the two machines aren't in heated discussion with each other.

Cheers! --G

#1013301 - 03/21/07 10:06 PM Re: Help me put together a how-to for the Zoom H4
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

Ragtime,

There are probably many more Zoom users now than last October who will benefit from your experience using it in many different situations and configurations.

Lisztener

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Never thought it would end up at that instrument ...
by fatast
12/21/14 05:45 AM
Is Yelp reliable for evaluating piano stores?
by Le Chiffre
12/21/14 02:08 AM
Guide to Teaching
by Arghhh
12/21/14 12:39 AM
Making a New York Steinway sound like a Hamburg Steinway
by nphase
12/20/14 10:24 PM
Merry Christmas from Brazil! Feliz Natal!!
by Piano_Brazil
12/20/14 09:19 PM
Forum Stats
77375 Members
42 Forums
160032 Topics
2350091 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission