Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
94 registered (ando, anotherscott, Anticlock, angga888, 32 invisible), 1353 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#977362 - 06/09/07 09:54 AM NEW - Study Group for Chopin's Waltz, Op 34 #2
loveschopintoomuch Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
How I love this waltz, and, suprisingly, it is rated as a 6! I think many of us can handle it.

AND...it was Chopin's favorite waltz.

Here's just a sample, in case you've forgotten what it sounds like.

Chopin\'s Waltz, Op. 34#2

So, if you're interested...hop on board.

Thanks,
Kathleen

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#977363 - 06/09/07 10:41 AM Re: NEW - Study Group for Chopin's Waltz, Op 34 #2
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Ah! Kathleen, that is so beautiful! I wish I could join you but the teacher I'm working with this summer gave me 2 concertos and Wedding Day at Troldhaugen

It's going to be a long, but hopefully rewarding summer.

Matt

#977364 - 06/09/07 10:52 AM Re: NEW - Study Group for Chopin's Waltz, Op 34 #2
4000 Post Club Member

Good luck, Matt....doesn't sound like much of a relaxing summer, but know it will be exciting.

Kathleen

#977365 - 06/09/07 11:16 AM Re: NEW - Study Group for Chopin's Waltz, Op 34 #2
NancyM333 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Roswell, Georgia
I'm in for this one, Kathleen! I just started reading it a few weeks ago, and I could definitely use some input from this forum on the ornaments. Thanks for starting it.

My childhood teacher took a lesson on various Chopin pieces from some master teacher, and I have her comments about each Waltz. According to her notes, this is the easiest of the Chopin Waltzes (probably the reason I decided to play it!)

Nancy

Estonia 168, Yamaha UX3

#977366 - 06/09/07 11:30 AM Re: NEW - Study Group for Chopin's Waltz, Op 34 #2
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by loveschopintoomuch:

Maybe next time...when we attempt a Scherzo!

Kathleen [/b]
That would be so cool! Mabey in the Fall or Winter?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=tpPLllcoPDE

Matt

#977367 - 06/09/07 03:41 PM Re: NEW - Study Group for Chopin's Waltz, Op 34 #2
joemoshi Offline

Loc: Canada
Count me in. I have already played (not so well) the first part sometime ago. It is a good time to revisit this waltz.

#977368 - 06/09/07 06:02 PM Re: NEW - Study Group for Chopin's Waltz, Op 34 #2
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
I may give it a try. I've got a bunch of other things I'm working on as well so we will see. It's one of my favorite waltzes too. Especially the initial theme on the first page.

#977369 - 06/09/07 08:26 PM Re: NEW - Study Group for Chopin's Waltz, Op 34 #2
4000 Post Club Member

Welcome..Nancy, joemoshi and Peyton: \:\)

No rush here at all. The reason I started this is because I actually was able to sit down and sight-read the whole thing through, which amazed me. Not totally great, but not bad.

So, along with a few other things, I'm starting on it seriously.

For any specific questions...I do have the Eleanor Bailie Book: "A Practical Guide to Chopin." She gives some very helpful information regarding trills, dynamics, technique, tempo suggestions, etc. So please let me know, and I'll see if the book contains something that specifically addresses your concerns.

Regarding your editions: I don't think there are many, if any, different versions, but I certainly could be wrong. I guess we'll find out as we proceed.

The first thing I had to do was change the fingering (I'm using a Schirmer's Library of Musical Classics - Chopin.) For the trills in the LH in m. 5 and again in 13, I'm using a 2/1 so I can use the 3rd finger on the D#. My 4th is too weak. I had to do a little creative fingering, but it works for me...at least so far.

Otherwise, it looks fairly straight forward.

Good luck and let's keep in touch...

Kathleen

#977370 - 06/10/07 12:29 PM Re: NEW - Study Group for Chopin's Waltz, Op 34 #2
Mike White Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: 90 miles West of New Orleans
Well, I guess if I can read through it, I should be able to play it eventually. I'm using Schirmer's also.

Yamaha G3 & P-80 Digital

#977371 - 06/10/07 01:11 PM Re: NEW - Study Group for Chopin's Waltz, Op 34 #2
4000 Post Club Member

Hi Yamaha...happy to have you. Have you noticed the dates on Schirmer's?? Like over 100 years ago on the earilest.

Kathleen

#977372 - 06/11/07 11:05 AM Re: NEW - Study Group for Chopin's Waltz, Op 34 #2
Mike White Offline
500 Post Club Member

Am I going to regret later on if I don't follow the fingering exactly on this piece? I'm more comfortable on the very beginning using 12 15.
Mike

Yamaha G3 & P-80 Digital

#977373 - 06/11/07 12:49 PM Re: NEW - Study Group for Chopin's Waltz, Op 34 #2
4000 Post Club Member

I have completely changed the finger in the first five bars...as far as I've gotten. I think you're fingering is the same as mine. For the life of me can't figure out how weird some of it is. But ever since I learned that is was OK to do so, I have absolutely no regrets about it. And...I actually use my thumb on the black keys when necessary.

So...scratch out and mark in your own. Whatever is the most comfortable. Although I did get myself in rather a "pickle" when I had to use the 2 finger on a note in the last measure and then quickly use it again on the first note in the next measure. But it didn't take long to get used to it.

#977374 - 06/12/07 02:10 PM Re: NEW - Study Group for Chopin's Waltz, Op 34 #2
NancyM333 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Grrrrr....this piece is not that hard, but the same thing gets me in every Chopin piece. It's the 7 against 3, 7 against 2, etc. that he throws in there. I am trying to really nail down the fingering on these sections so I don't have to think about that while I'm thinking about how to fit 3 notes into seven. I have some very good fingerings, I think, written in by the editor. Mine is the white (Palmer, I think) book of Chopin Waltzes.

If you all have any ideas to help me on my constant problem of 2 against 3 and its variations, I'd love to hear them. It bogs me down every time, no matter the difficulty level of the piece.

Nancy

Estonia 168, Yamaha UX3

#977375 - 06/12/07 02:31 PM Re: NEW - Study Group for Chopin's Waltz, Op 34 #2
joemoshi Offline

Draw on a piece of paper two lines of equal length (3 inches each) side by side. Then superimpose three lines of equal lengths (2inches each) on top of the two lines. If you set your metronome at, say 60 per minute, then hit the keys at the end of each line (three keys with one hand and two keys with the other).

Once you get used to the timing it will come naturally. Good luck.

Joe

#977376 - 06/13/07 09:35 AM Re: NEW - Study Group for Chopin's Waltz, Op 34 #2
4000 Post Club Member

What?????

Kathleen

#977377 - 06/13/07 01:04 PM Re: NEW - Study Group for Chopin's Waltz, Op 34 #2
joemoshi Offline

O.K. Let's try it a different way.
Assume that you have three notes for the right hand and two notes for the left hand. Start your metronome with a slow beat.

beat 0: Play the first note of the right and left hands

beat 1:

beat 2: play the second note of the right hand.

beat 3: play the second note of the left hand.

beat 4: play the third note of the right hand.

beat 5:

beat 6: start again at beat 0.

I would gladly make the sketch but I do not know how to attach it to the post.

Joe

#977378 - 06/13/07 01:37 PM Re: NEW - Study Group for Chopin's Waltz, Op 34 #2
4000 Post Club Member

OK..thanks, Joemoshi

I think this might help, and I'll give it a try.

Kathleen

#977379 - 06/13/07 10:20 PM Re: NEW - Study Group for Chopin's Waltz, Op 34 #2
Starting Over Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
I'm going to try this one. I passed on the Nocturne 48 because it's just too hard but I think I might be able to manage this one. I printed off the version from Sheet Music Archive. Is that the one you are using Kathleen? It doesn't have any publishers markings on it at all for some reason.

Who is playing in the clip in your opening post? If that's you sightreading Kathleen, then you don't need to be in the study group. You're there already!

#977380 - 06/14/07 07:44 AM Re: NEW - Study Group for Chopin's Waltz, Op 34 #2
NancyM333 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks for your description, Joemoshi. I think my problem is not playing it, but hearing it. I can either listen for the 2 or the 3, but not both. So when I get to those passages, one hand or the other is not correct. I sound like I'm limping. This is bad because I just started Liszt's Consolation, and it's a lot of 2 vs. 3. Maybe that's the way to learn it.

This waltz has some 7 vs. 3 and 7 vs. 2 in it. At least those measures are alone and I don't have to keep repeating it. Maybe I can just memorize how it's supposed to sound and recreate it, rather than try to count it out each time. I don't know. It's been a long-standing piano problem for me.

Nancy

Estonia 168, Yamaha UX3

#977381 - 06/14/07 09:38 AM Re: NEW - Study Group for Chopin's Waltz, Op 34 #2
4000 Post Club Member

Starting Over:

How I wish that was me playing. \:\) Ha...but thank you for the wonderful compliment. No it was Vladimir Ashkenazy, but don't tell anyone. I'm using the version in the "Schirmer's Library of Musical Classics, vol 39...Chopin Albumn for the Piano", copyrite, 1915. It has many fingering suggestions, most of which I have had to cross out. Too strange for me. :rolleyes:

And as far as the 48.1, I'm still hanging on, like two measures at a time. But I know this will probably be a life-long goal. Trouble is I have about 30 pieces I have been trying to juggle, some brand-new, some to be polished, a bunch to be maintained. My head is swimming to the point of being overwhelmed. My living room, near the piano, looks like a tornado went through it. Music all over the place...yikes. \:\(

Nancy: I also have an easier time just hearing it. I play the piece (recording) over and over until the "sound" is so implanted, that my fingers sort of act on their own. I don't know how this happens, but I'm not complaining.

Wow, Liszt's Consolation. That is one of my very favorites of all time. Is it (or do you think) it would require the same type of technique as Chopin's Etude, Op 25, #1. Mr. Cooke (in his book) said that once you "got down" the first measure, it was basically the same, after that. Hard to believe, but I'd like to give it a try...someday. I wonder how many "somedays" I have left.

Hang in there...

Kathleen

#977382 - 06/14/07 10:11 AM Re: NEW - Study Group for Chopin's Waltz, Op 34 #2
Starting Over Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
I'm alread encountering some strange fingering in my version but I can't come up with anything better so far...

As for the recording excerpt, it did sound very polished for the ABF ;\) but the background noise made me wonder if it was you. I guess you just made a recording directly from your stereo with the same set up you use for your piano?

Anyway, I'm going to start this now. The ornaments and the 7 on 2s and 3's are going to be HAAAARRRRD

#977383 - 06/14/07 12:15 PM Re: NEW - Study Group for Chopin's Waltz, Op 34 #2
Mike White Offline
500 Post Club Member

I have hit a brick wall with the "dolce" part. I know it's do-able, but will just take lots of concentration and time. Is anyone else having trouble with this part? I'm not used to playing a melody in my left hand.
Mike White

Yamaha G3 & P-80 Digital

#977384 - 06/14/07 01:00 PM Re: NEW - Study Group for Chopin's Waltz, Op 34 #2
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Mike,.

What is the dolce part? I'm using the Schirmer edition and don't see it in mine.

#977385 - 06/14/07 02:09 PM Re: NEW - Study Group for Chopin's Waltz, Op 34 #2
4000 Post Club Member

Yes, StartingOver, I do use just a cheap mic and then Audacity. Never know how it's going to turn out, depending on where I place my mic. I can, however, recording with a direct cable in using my Clavinova, but I prefer the touch of my grand, even though it does have a cracked sound board and such. Next I am going to try to record onto a cassette recording, then play it back using Audacity.

To everyone: I purchased a great book (for technique) by Eleanor Bailie called "The Pianist's Repertoire CHOPIN, a graded practical guide.

She speaks in quite a flowery manner but I believe what she's written on this particular waltz (about 2.5 pages) might prove helpful to you. I am going to scan it after my practice session and post it up so you can download it. She's English, which is important to remember, especially when she refers to specific notes....take this down if you intend to make any sense of her advice

semibreve whole-note
minim half -note
crochet quarter-note
quaver eighth-note
semiquaver sixteenth note
demisemiquaver thirty-second note
hemidemisemiquaver sixty-fourth notes

Wow, those last two....rather nice to say, however..have a certain "ring" to them.

Anyhow I hope this will help. My fingering is completely off the wall...using, as Chopin often did, the same finger on one note and then slip it over to the next note. Once you get used to it, it isn't that difficult. Thumb on black note (as I mentioned) whatever works. It takes more time to put in the fingering than (almost) it does to learn the piece.

Kathleen

#977386 - 06/14/07 02:32 PM Re: NEW - Study Group for Chopin's Waltz, Op 34 #2
Mike White Offline
500 Post Club Member

Peyton, fifth measure on the top of page 5, (or page 25 in my book). I'm getting it, but it's not nearly as easy to play as the rest of the piece.
Mike White

Yamaha G3 & P-80 Digital

#977387 - 06/14/07 04:09 PM Re: NEW - Study Group for Chopin's Waltz, Op 34 #2
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

ah yes...I deem that the "last section". I have not started on that yet. that will take some time. At least they are standard 8th notes and not some 7 against 3 thing... \:D generally for parts like that I'll just do the left hand over and over and over until I just about have it memorized. Do you have the other sections down already? I'm trying to memorize the second section and just starting to play the sostenuto (3rd) section. It will be a little while. :rolleyes:

#977388 - 06/14/07 04:43 PM Re: NEW - Study Group for Chopin's Waltz, Op 34 #2
4000 Post Club Member

Mike:

Peyton and I are using the same book. I found the section to which you are referring...rather hard to see. But that left hand is going to be something.

Kathleen

#977389 - 06/14/07 04:52 PM Re: NEW - Study Group for Chopin's Waltz, Op 34 #2
joemoshi Offline

Yamaha G3 - For some reason I also find the dolce more difficult to play.

#977390 - 06/14/07 05:39 PM Re: NEW - Study Group for Chopin's Waltz, Op 34 #2
4000 Post Club Member

Here's four pages from that book on the waltz. Hope it helps a little.

#977391 - 06/14/07 06:38 PM Re: NEW - Study Group for Chopin's Waltz, Op 34 #2
NancyM333 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks so much for posting that, Kathleen. I think it will be very helpful.

Nancy

Estonia 168, Yamaha UX3

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A new clip of Don Pullen in action
by rintincop
12/17/14 11:03 PM
Learn a Song in 7 minutes: Carol of the Bells
by Hugh Sung
12/17/14 10:11 PM
December 2014 Holiday Piano Bar
by piano_primo_1
12/17/14 06:14 PM
The Language of Taste - Pianos, Wine ... and Birds
by PNO40
12/17/14 05:16 PM
Good Practice Amp for Roland FP7F?
by TheloniousPunk
12/17/14 04:24 PM
Forum Stats
77333 Members
42 Forums
159946 Topics
2348932 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission