Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1009603 - 10/17/07 01:53 PM Presenting Frederic Chopin's Preludes: A Recital
gerg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Houston, TX

Don't click here!

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1009604 - 10/17/07 03:00 PM Re: Presenting Frederic Chopin's Preludes: A Recital
gmm1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Spokane WA
Sticky, please... then delete this post. Thanks

#1009605 - 10/17/07 03:05 PM Re: Presenting Frederic Chopin's Preludes: A Recital
gerg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Sticky has been requested. However, one mod is in Japan, and the other is (hopefully!) recovering from a life-threatening injury, so I don't know how long it will take the request to go through...

Don't click here!

#1009606 - 10/17/07 03:24 PM Re: Presenting Frederic Chopin's Preludes: A Recital
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay area
Great website, very impressive, Gerg!

The line for Hershey88's prelude is not a hyperlink for me. It just shows up as plain text - don't know if others have that same problem?

btw, should praises and comments be posted in this thread, or the other "countdown" thread?

#1009607 - 10/17/07 03:28 PM Re: Presenting Frederic Chopin's Preludes: A Recital
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
What a tremendous accomplishment! You all should be very proud. \:\)

#1009608 - 10/17/07 03:30 PM Re: Presenting Frederic Chopin's Preludes: A Recital
Theowne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Canada
I only listened to the No.11 so far, but Ragnhild, that was really, really good.

#1009609 - 10/17/07 03:33 PM Re: Presenting Frederic Chopin's Preludes: A Recital
gerg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

It is the wonderful folks in ABF that deserve the credit, not me. Most of all, it is the composer himself, whose music has moved and inspired so many,

Kathleen is the one who really drives the passion for Chopin's music. Her enthusiasm is infectious.

I see no reason, if you want to comment, that we cannot do it here, since the recital is hosted elsewhere and comments won't clutter it.

I'll be starting another discussion thread because I am very, very interested to hear about everyone else's experience learning these pieces. Will wait a bit though, to give everyone a chance to listen to the whole thing.

Don't click here!

#1009610 - 10/17/07 03:41 PM Re: Presenting Frederic Chopin's Preludes: A Recital
Theowne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Canada
I think you should also post in the Pianist Corner. This is too big of an accomplishment to keep within one forum.

#1009611 - 10/17/07 03:42 PM Re: Presenting Frederic Chopin's Preludes: A Recital
LaValse Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mumbles, Wales
I've just listened to them all; wow, what a great achievement and what a fantastic tribute to Chopin.

Bravo \:\)

#1009612 - 10/17/07 03:51 PM Re: Presenting Frederic Chopin's Preludes: A Recital
kathyk Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Bravo! Brava! Bravi! This is really incredible. Good work all of you!

#1009613 - 10/17/07 03:55 PM Re: Presenting Frederic Chopin's Preludes: A Recital
gerg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Theowne:
I think you should also post in the Pianist Corner. This is too big of an accomplishment to keep within one forum. [/b]
Go for it! Personally, I would like critical input for my own pieces from them, but for now we're all just going to rest in the joy of this achievement. Analyis can come later...

Don't click here!

#1009614 - 10/17/07 04:06 PM Re: Presenting Frederic Chopin's Preludes: A Recital
gerg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

There is someone who deserves special mention and a great big "thank you" in inspiring this recital:

C C Chang (CCC on PianoWorld). He's very busy finalizing publication of his book, "Fundamentals of Piano Practice." He will be announcing its publication here on PianoWorld very soon.

He breaks down the seemingly impossible (i.e. Adult "beginners" playing Chopin) into the possible and accessible. Without his book, I do not believe I would have had the confidence to suggest we could pull this off.

BookSurge is the publisher. I would highly recommend a copy of the book once it is published.

Don't click here!

#1009615 - 10/17/07 04:15 PM Re: Presenting Frederic Chopin's Preludes: A Recital
LisztAddict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
Beginners? Come on now, quit pulling my legs. \:D

#1009616 - 10/17/07 04:20 PM Re: Presenting Frederic Chopin's Preludes: A Recital
BB Player Online   content

Loc: Not in Texas
 Quote:
Originally posted by gerg:
Sticky has been requested. However, one mod is in Japan, and the other is (hopefully!) recovering from a life-threatening injury, so I don't know how long it will take the request to go through... [/b]
Done. Note that I didn't get a request to make it sticky so if one was sent to both ShiroKuro and myself, at least I didn't get it.

Now, on to listening to the recital!

#1009617 - 10/17/07 04:24 PM Re: Presenting Frederic Chopin's Preludes: A Recital
gerg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Greg, thank you so much!!!!

I did not send you one because I did not know how available you were given that you need your rest.

Enjoy the recital!

Don't click here!

#1009618 - 10/17/07 04:40 PM Re: Presenting Frederic Chopin's Preludes: A Recital
BB Player Online   content

Loc: Not in Texas
 Quote:
Originally posted by gerg:
Greg, thank you so much!!!!

I did not send you one because I did not know how available you were given that you need your rest.[/b]
Well, in between sleeping 18 hours/day, various treatments, visits to the doctor, consuming enough narcotics to make "Valley of the Dolls" look like a kids party and a very little bit of playing the piano, I've nothing but time on my hands \:D

#1009619 - 10/17/07 04:44 PM Re: Presenting Frederic Chopin's Preludes: A Recital
TThomas Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, VA
I just listened to all of these (except hershey88, as there was no link??). I know you all must be so proud. Your work (I can't begin to imagine how much you all put in!) is most impressive! And what a pretty website, by the way! Congrats, all! \:\)

Tina

#1009620 - 10/17/07 04:50 PM Re: Presenting Frederic Chopin's Preludes: A Recital
gerg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Greg, that's harsh! At least you are getting the rest. I can only imagine the discomfort of the injury itself, of staying in bed so long. The human body is a miraculous contraption though - you'll be out before you know it.

Tina, I am hoping you will participate one of these days! Don't ever say "I'm not good enough"! Have you seen the Mazurka Marathon thread?

Don't click here!

#1009621 - 10/17/07 05:16 PM Re: Presenting Frederic Chopin's Preludes: A Recital
LaValse Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mumbles, Wales
There you all sit, peers of artists like Koji, Julius Katchen and Ashkenazy \:\)

http://www.sailwave.com/music/abf.jpg

And Brahms too!

Bravo \:\)

#1009622 - 10/17/07 05:23 PM Re: Presenting Frederic Chopin's Preludes: A Recital
playadom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
Nice!

If Brahms is playing the piano with his 1800's recording techniques, I know my recording HAS to sound good \:D \:D \:D

#1009623 - 10/17/07 05:36 PM Re: Presenting Frederic Chopin's Preludes: A Recital
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Nice going Greg. I had no idea we were getting our own web site!

#1009624 - 10/17/07 05:37 PM Re: Presenting Frederic Chopin's Preludes: A Recital
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Just listened to all, except Hershey88's, which has no link, and Nancy's Op28-15, which got me an Internet Explorer error - didn't open. It's a wma file.

Kudos to all the wonderful pianists. I think we are stretching to call this an adult "beginners" forum.

I haven't heard most of these pieces before so it's a great musical education as well as great enjoyment to listen to. I really love no. 24. (I don't mean to belittle anyone's accomplishment. I mean the composition just stands out for me.)

Thank you very much again gerg and Kathleen.

C7, Glad to see that you seem to be in good spirits - I am sure that itself will speed up the healing. Sending good vibes your way, one more time. You've got lots of good vibes from the preludes!

#1009625 - 10/17/07 05:43 PM Re: Presenting Frederic Chopin's Preludes: A Recital
gerg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Please keep checking back for Hershey's recording. He is a very, very special individual, and it will be worth your while...

I agree with you about the firey passion #24. LisztAddict did it justice, and it shares with #15 the distinction of Chopin's best-known prelude, though #4, #6, and #7 are also well-known.

Don't click here!

#1009626 - 10/17/07 05:47 PM Re: Presenting Frederic Chopin's Preludes: A Recital
gerg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LaValse:
There you all sit, peers of artists like Koji, Julius Katchen and Ashkenazy \:\)

http://www.sailwave.com/music/abf.jpg

And Brahms too!

Bravo \:\) [/b]
Glad to see someone taking advantage of the labeling effort. It was a lot of work!

Don't click here!

#1009627 - 10/17/07 06:03 PM Re: Presenting Frederic Chopin's Preludes: A Recital
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

btw gerg, I did notice the files are all systematically labelled, and the site is very well laid out, the graphics, the colors - the way the link color matches the border colors. Yes I noticed those details! Very good looking page indeed. The great music derserves a great presentation site and you provided that.

Edit: AND the invitation "flyer" at the top of this thread matches the site too. This is like a whole wedding package, all coordinated and pretty. (It takes a woman to see it this way \:\) )

#1009628 - 10/17/07 06:04 PM Re: Presenting Frederic Chopin's Preludes: A Recital
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Well, that kept me at work until the end today! What a great recital. I didn't know any of the pieces, but it was a delight to listen to them all, and to all the different styles in pianos, much less playing.

And the invitation and the web site made me feel like I was in a grand concert hall with ornate railings and patterned carpets, and ladies with long gloves and fans \:\)

Congratulations to all - what a triumph.

Cathy

#1009629 - 10/17/07 06:07 PM Re: Presenting Frederic Chopin's Preludes: A Recital
gerg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Ramona gets credit for the site design! She did a marvelous job, and she did it all in ONE DAY, can you believe it?

Ramona did the initial layout of the invite, and Peyton, who is a professional artist, improved it.

Don't click here!

#1009630 - 10/17/07 06:21 PM Re: Presenting Frederic Chopin's Preludes: A Recital
TThomas Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, VA
 Quote:
Originally posted by gerg:Tina, I am hoping you will participate one of these days! Don't ever say "I'm not good enough"! Have you seen the Mazurka Marathon thread?
Yes, I hope so too and thanks very much for your encouraging spirit \:\) Yes, I have indeed seen the Mazurka thread. Read every page the other day and daydreamed just a bit! I don't think even the simplest Chopin work is within my ability yet (but I don't KNOW that because I don't know what piece that would be!) but I will get there!

Tina

#1009631 - 10/17/07 07:25 PM Re: Presenting Frederic Chopin's Preludes: A Recital
SAnnM AB-2001 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
This was an amazing accomplishment. I've listened to them all and know now why I didn't join in! Beginners? Ha! These are all wonderful and most sound like they are played by advanced players! Awesome! I've played a couple of these before(not as well however). Kathleen your playing certainly shows your passion for Chopin! You sound very professional! And the site is Great! Kudos to Gerg and Ramona!

#1009632 - 10/17/07 11:19 PM Re: Presenting Frederic Chopin's Preludes: A Recital
Kawaigirl1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
Bravo to everyone!

These are marvelous recordings and Gerg you did a marvelous job in putting this recital together \:\)

flickr

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
177 registered (ajames, accordeur, 36251, Allard, 52 invisible), 1837 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157246 Topics
2309558 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New Kawai DP & RH3 action (CN35 & CN25)
by Northerner
42 minutes 9 seconds ago
Kawai MP11 firmware v1.07
by DilEcosse
Today at 04:24 PM
all BBCode tags are broken
by beet31425
Today at 03:13 PM
Write melody contrapuntally
by kobethuy
Today at 03:03 PM
Yamaha N2 or CLP545
by Butteman
Today at 02:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission