Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#985298 - 03/01/08 04:51 AM An invitation to celebrate Chopin's birthday (Mazurka recital)
Mary-Rose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Essex, England
This is a delicious little e-cital - quality not quantity!

It would also be good if you could come for a chat in the 'Devoted to Chopin' thread - where you can ask questions of the participants.

I would like to know:
-why did you choose your particular Mazurka?
-how do you feel about the Mazurkas in general?

In collecting them for the website, I thoroughly enjoyed listening to each one and they are all beautifully performed. I have fallen in love with Chopin's Mazurkas all over again!

Chopin\'s anniversary recitals

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#985299 - 03/01/08 05:04 PM Re: An invitation to celebrate Chopin's birthday (Mazurka recital)
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Just listened to all of them. Wow... I'm amazed at the talent!

#985300 - 03/01/08 07:09 PM Re: An invitation to celebrate Chopin's birthday (Mazurka recital)
rustyfingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
I really enjoyed listening. Well done everybody! I'm going to listen again this evening. Thanks so much Frycek and Mary Rose for all your hard work keeping us organized and putting the beautiful site and invitation together.

#985301 - 03/01/08 07:49 PM Re: An invitation to celebrate Chopin's birthday (Mazurka recital)
Schubertian Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX, US
Yes - I was really impressed too - how diverse the mazurkas all are - and how musical all the interpretations

I thought theowne did a really exemplary job - his melodies were so gracious and smooth - excellent -

#985302 - 03/01/08 09:50 PM Re: An invitation to celebrate Chopin's birthday (Mazurka recital)
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Wow! What an impressive effort. The website itself was gorgeous and very well done. Congratulations, all!

#985303 - 03/02/08 01:47 AM Re: An invitation to celebrate Chopin's birthday (Mazurka recital)
Ferdinand Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California
It was a pleasure to listen to the recital. Thanks to all who performed.

#985304 - 03/02/08 09:55 AM Re: An invitation to celebrate Chopin's birthday (Mazurka recital)
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
Top marks Mary-Rose ... can you just imagine how the ghost of Chopin must now be sipping a tall glass of champagne in his favourite Paris Cafe with buddies Delacroix and Co. and saying to himself ... they've remembered my birthday from 197 years ago ... and have made an album of my 24 Preludes.

Nice to be remembered ... how I wish I could repay such devotion by sending each of them a CD of my latest 10 Nocturnes.

We can dream!!

#985305 - 03/05/08 09:39 AM Re: An invitation to celebrate Chopin's birthday (Mazurka recital)
loveschopintoomuch Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
It's wonderful to hear from you, once again, btb. And yes, it is always a delight to be able to dream.

My best to you (sincerely),
Kathleen

#985306 - 03/06/08 02:22 PM Re: An invitation to celebrate Chopin's birthday (Mazurka recital)
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I've had a moment to listen again... They are all so good I hate to just comment on a few but hopefully I'll have time to add more later.

Cornflake, your 67/4 is wonderful. Not only a great interpretation and superb playing but a real nice recording quality as well.

Shubertian, your 30/1 is another real stand out! You really have a great feel for it.

Theowne... wow! I think probably yours and Cornflakes are my favorite interpretations. You play it with such command! I don't know if it's just my imagination but doesn't the beginning theme sound a little like Schubert? I love it.

#985307 - 03/08/08 02:51 AM Re: An invitation to celebrate Chopin's birthday (Mazurka recital)
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
Hi Peyton,
Don’t downplay your own rendition of the Chopin Mazurka 17-4 ... your fine precedent had me rattling through the gem non-stop for a couple of days ... sheer ecstasy ... and to think that the envious John Field referred to young Chopin as merely a writer of Mazurkas.

Kind regards.

#985308 - 03/08/08 08:56 AM Re: An invitation to celebrate Chopin's birthday (Mazurka recital)
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Thank you btb... I'll be working years on that gem to get it "right". When I first heard it years ago it reminded me of Eric Satie. I still get that feel sometimes and wonder if Satie was perhaps a little influenced? (then again, what piano composer could not have helped but be influenced by Chopin...).

#985309 - 03/09/08 01:26 AM Re: An invitation to celebrate Chopin's birthday (Mazurka recital)
pianoluvr Offline

I loved listening to this guys! Thank you for making my day and being so inspiring. I only hope my own playing could achieve that kind of success one day. Now I can't wait for the next one! \:\)

CURRENT PIECES
Beethoven Sonata Op.49 No.2
Fur Elise
Chopin Waltz Op.69 No.2
Chopin Nocturne Op.9 No.2
Schumann Op.15 No.1 (About Strange Lands and People)
Schumann Op.15 No.7 (Traumerei)

#985310 - 03/20/08 07:07 PM Re: An invitation to celebrate Chopin's birthday (Mazurka recital)
LaValse Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mumbles, Wales
I've been working silly hours in between some seriously boozy weekends (the rubgy - Wales won!!! - well - that the most recent excuse anyway) so have only now listend to the recital; which I think was amazing - I loved it - and look forward to hearing the rest.

The Mazurkas to date have not my favourite Chopin pieces but the individuality with which these are presented really brings them alive...

Bravo!

\:\)

#985311 - 03/25/08 12:32 AM Re: An invitation to celebrate Chopin's birthday (Mazurka recital)
gabytu Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portland, Or.
Golly, you all did beautifully. Such wonderful sensitive playing. Sorry, I was unable to participate, but bad back problems have kept me from practicing as much as I need.
What I particularly loved were all the different interpretations of the Mazurkas. You each brought your own individual insights to the compositions and they were a delight to listen to.Gaby Tu

#985312 - 03/28/08 06:01 PM Re: An invitation to celebrate Chopin's birthday (Mazurka recital)
Mary-Rose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Essex, England
Sorry to hear about your back, Gaby Tu.

Thank you to everyone who listened and gave positive feedback. I agree, our Mazurkathon team did an exceptional job. Thank you so much, dear Mazurka players. I loved each and every performance, and am looking forward to next time! (17th October 2008)

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
112 registered (aesop, AmateurBob, Acevle, 36251, alans, accordeur, 40 invisible), 1313 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75609 Members
42 Forums
156346 Topics
2296291 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Ivory v. Plastic Questions
by Retsacnal
Yesterday at 11:50 PM
The worst student in your studio
by Cardinal201
Yesterday at 11:43 PM
Piano Movers
by DancerJ
Yesterday at 11:16 PM
Yamaha P-85 closer to a Grand Piano action than any Upright!
by Paul678
Yesterday at 07:22 PM
Do someone have a Sciortino Insta-COILER
by Olek
Yesterday at 06:55 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission