Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#1005642 - 11/14/08 09:10 PM Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
Monica K. Online   blank

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Welcome to the General Discussion Room for the AB Forum Recital 12!!![/b]

Please utilize this room for any discussion of the pieces in Recital 12 that is taking place in the main Recital 12 thread.

Discussions and replies can be posted at-will. Feel free to comment on any or all individual pieces. Some members offer comments on each submission individually; others offer general congratulations. Either approach is fine.

Critical discussion should take place in the Recital 12 Critical Discussion Room.

For those who wish to comment on all pieces, a copy and paste template for offering feedback can be found here:

Recital 12 Response Template

Please use this thread only to discuss recital performances. If you have any comments or suggestions about ways to make the recital process better, please start a separate thread.[/b]

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1005643 - 11/14/08 09:50 PM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
AdagioM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
Well, the bios aren't all up in the main thread yet, but the player works, and I'm listening! To Lisztener. Lovely...

http://pdxknitterati.com

#1005644 - 11/14/08 10:10 PM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
Kawai, HI Offline

Loc: Hawaii
I just started too. Lisztener, yours is just beautiful! Can't wait to hear the rest of the recital.

#1005645 - 11/14/08 10:26 PM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
Mike White Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: 90 miles West of New Orleans
I really like the steaming player.

Yamaha G3 & P-80 Digital

#1005646 - 11/14/08 10:42 PM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
01 Lisztener - Gone, Jim Chappell[/b]
I am not familiar with Chappell's work, but this piece is wonderful. Of course, you play it beautifully, Lisztener, and your piano sounds terrific as always. Wonderful job. I don't heear any of those mistakes you mentioned. This one is a keeper.

02 dannylux - Nocturne in E Flat, Mikail Glinka[/b]
Once again, Mel, you bring us a lesser known but very beautiful piece. I really like this piece and the way you played it. I have at least heard of Glinka (unlike most of the composers you choose), but I am not terribly familiar with his work. This is another keeper.

03 AnthonyB - Stella Del Mattino, Ludovico Einaudi[/b]
We have heard this piece in several recitals now. It sounds like a rather difficult piece for some one who has only played for 10 months. I know I have said this before, but you are making amazing progress. Well done indeed.

04 Ode2Joy - Prelude in F minor BWV 881, J. S. Bach[/b]
No need to be nervous about a submission here. You are among like minded people whose experience varies from very little to several decades. There is certainly no nervousness showing in your performance. A very nice job with only a couple of VERY minor hesitations. Well done.

05 Mr. Super-Hunky - Magicland, Mr. Super-Hunky[/b]
Interesting composition, Mr. S-H. It sounds more classical than "New Age." I hate that name for the genre. It makes me think of the folks who believe in crystals, ghosts, reincarnation, and other occult "stuff". I remember one woman of my acquaintance who sold crystals at "psychic fairs." She once told me stories about having conversations with dead people and with ghosts. The lady once told me "I've talked with Jesus Christ three times, and I don't even believe in him." I thought that was amusing, so I had to ask, "If you don't believe in him, how did you know he was Jesus Christ?" Her reply? "He told me." Of course. But, anyway, back to the music. Nice composition. It is, as you say, haunting. Great job.

06 jazzyprof - Etude op.25 #1 (Aeolian Harp), Fredryk Chopin[/b]
Since I haven't listened to your other recording, I don't know if you are getting "better or worse", but this one iw quite nice. This isn't an easy piece. Great job.

07 Mateusz 'Mati' Papiernik - Polskie drogi (Polish roads), Andrzej Kurylewicz[/b]
Mati, I can see why you feel so strongly about this piece. It is quite beautiful. Thanks for sharing it with us. You played it tremendously well. Beautiful job.

08 Peyton - The Last Man Alive, Peyton Higgison[/b]
Nice piano work in the style we have come to expect from you. Interesting piece, as well. The lyrics are emotional and somewhat depressing. A very moving piece.

I guess that's it for tonight. Monica hasn't posted any of the others yet. I have truly enjoyed every piece thus far whether light and airy or dark and jarring.

flickr

#1005647 - 11/14/08 11:09 PM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Well, I guess I can use the streaming player, can't I? \:D

09 Monica K - Fairest Lord Jesus, arr. David Nevue[/b]
Monica, I have always thought this one of the most beautiful of hymns. This arrangement, which I have not heard before, adds to the ethereal beauty of the hymn itself. Simply amazing! Great job, professor!

10 Knotty - Just Friends, Jim Snidero[/b]
Impressive job! I love a jazz trio. I seriously considered paying $300 for 2 tickets to a fundraiser concert for Midland Opera Theatre (the local opera group) featuring a jazz piano trio tomorrow night, but I don't own a tux, and it is black tie, so I decided not to go. Well, okay, that and the 300 bucks. ;\)

11 Benny - Comptine d'un autre ete: l'apres, Yann Tiersen [/b]
Very nice job on this now quite familiar piece. I always enjoy this piece, and you played it well.

12 Ohitpro - Morning Snowfall, Carol Matz[/b]
Very nice piece and very nicely played. I enjoyed listening. Great job.

13 b528nf7 - Bill - Ol' Man River, J. Kern, O. Hammerstein II[/b]
Bill, I like this song, and your performance is enjoyable as always. Nice job.

14 Riddler (Ed) - Rhapsody in Blue, Gershwin[/b]
Another wonderful piece from the Great American Songbook. I have always had difficulty maintaining the proper tempo on this one. I keep wanting to speed up as I go along. You do not appear to be suffering from that same difficulty. Great job!

15 Kawaigirl1 - Winter Walk, David Nevue[/b]
A very beautiful "new age" piece. Did I mention that I hate the name "new age?" \:D As always, madam, your playing is flawless to my ears. Truly an excellent performance.

Okay, that really is all for tonight. Wonderful playing one and all. I shall listen to the others as time permits. I do so look forward to listening to everyone's performances in every recital.

flickr

#1005648 - 11/15/08 02:30 AM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
This place is so addictive.

Lisztener - I can't believe how professional this is. Whooo (letting out a breath after holding it in amazement at this and the slide show). What a great start to the recital. Thanks

AnthonyB - so well done. You don't have to do something other than Einaudi, your pieces are great submissions to the recitals. You interpret his pieces admirably. I like the way you can distinguish between the two hands, a very nice mix. It does amaze me that you can play polishedly (?) after only 10 months, tho.

Monica K. - this is an old favorite of mine, too, and I liked this arrangement very much. You have a great touch and interpretation in your playing. If I could play in the style in which you play, I'd play like you - that makes sense to me! It's just that the style in which you play is just not within my capacity or personality, but I like it very much.

Knotty - I love it. Really well done.

Benny - yes, this is becoming familiar to me. I like your take on it, and particularly like the tempo at which you played it. I think it will never grow old.

b528nf7 - vintage Bill \:\) I'm so glad you found this forum, because I always like having another piece from you. This is a great song, and it suits you.

Riddler (Ed) - well, substitute "Ed" for "Bill" above and it would be equally true. I love your style of piano playing, and you did a great job with this. It's on my list for some day.

Orez Eno - wonderful. Wow! being able to play it with an audience! That's wonderful! I only do those kinds of things in the context of a band, where my part kind of hides. A piece of this complexity would be beyond me solo. Thirty-two bars is my limit. And I liked your rendition a lot. And did you say that you're an amazing student ;\) ? At any rate, congratulations on a fine performance.

John Frank - I had to laugh through this one - we play it as part of a medley of old-time tunes for contra dances \:D I love your repertoire, and this was played with danceable enthusiasm, as it should be. Nice going.

Diane Cornellier - another one of my very favorite pieces, and I never tire of it. You made it quite charming. I'm glad you played it for this recital.

Seaside Lee - a bookend to Lisztener. How beautiful, and what a lovely interpretation. Thank you again for your playing for us. Oh - where's the tip jar? \:\) I'd leave folding money in it for this.

Gary001 - how fun to have another version of this submitted! You play with great confidence, and I *really* admire the ornaments. I haven't ever gotten that far with this piece, and they were really nice.

WJ3 - Walt - a third one! I'm in heaven! I *loved* it. It had a wistful and contemplative sense to it that really fit it well, as if you had sat down at the piano, in a kind of quiet solitude, and this just came out as what you were feeling at the time. Well done.

Deep Elem - ah, a recital is not a recital without your great stylings. I just have no idea how people play with this kind of ease and flowing. I dunno - it's like, watching Casablanca or something. Whooo yet again.

mlr1899 - I love it! I am such a rag fan. The speed is perfect - just the right jauntiness - you know, the guys with the cigars out of the corner of their mouth, smirking at the bar girls - tho I think Joplin wanted other venues for his rags, too. Maybe the old - was it Shakey's? - pizza parlors. Or Main St at Disneyland. This was great.

rustyfingers - oh wow. What a smokey piece. I love that lazy left hand, what a great accompaniment. And the 8va near the end was the perfect touch. This was great.

Hisalone - yeah! that did really liven things up. I really like all your recital pieces.

Another great recital -

Cathy

#1005649 - 11/15/08 05:39 AM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
pixy Offline

Loc: Rochester, UK
When I grow up I want to play like you!

I felt proud until I heard you, people.
Now I know where I can get if I keep adding baby steps everyday (rushing to practice right now)

Thanks to all of you that make this recital possible (great players included)

(EDIT typo)

#1005650 - 11/15/08 06:21 AM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by jotur:

John Frank - I had to laugh through this one - we play it as part of a medley of old-time tunes for contra dances \:D I love your repertoire, and this was played with danceable enthusiasm, as it should be. Nice going.

Another great recital -

Cathy [/b]
Thanks Cathy - for a great idea of the exciting kind of very stylized show dancing that can be choreographed to "Hava Nagila" played prestissimo by full orchestra and chorus see:

Hava Nagila Dance

Regards (and L'Chayim), JF

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#1005651 - 11/15/08 07:07 AM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
 Quote:
Originally posted by pixi:
I felt proud until I heard you, people.
Now I now where I can get if I keep adding baby steps everyday (rushing to practice right now)[/b]
Exactly! Remember that many of the people who sound great have been participating in these recitals over the past three, and when many of us sent in our first contribution we sounded a lot worse than we do now. \:D

P.S. 77 participants, w00t! \:\)

#1005652 - 11/15/08 07:15 AM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
Mati Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lodz, Poland
I've just began listening to this extraordinary recital. 77 pieces! Whoa! As for now I can say the level is tremendously high - detailed comments will follow \:\)

Thanks for the pleasure of being able to play among you all.

M.
Kawai CN21 (digital), Henryk Yamayuri Kawai NX-40 (grand)

#1005653 - 11/15/08 07:20 AM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
babama Offline
500 Post Club Member

dannylux
Wow, congratulations on this excellent performance! Never heard of the composer, but it's beautiful music.

Mr. super-hunky
Great job. I'm jealous at your ability to compose a piece like this, I couldn't have told it was self-composed.

Theowne
Amazing. Sounds very difficult, but I'd say you own this piece. Gorgeous!

Will randomly comment on more pieces in the next days/weeks.

#1005654 - 11/15/08 07:54 AM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
Blackbird Offline

Loc: Cornwall UK
I'd just like to take this opportunity to say 'thank you' to you all for the tremendous inspiration that you have given me.

And also the great listening I'm enjoying now.

Cheers all
\:\)

#1005655 - 11/15/08 08:55 AM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
It always takes me forever to get through all the pieces so this time I thought I'd do it a little differently. I wrote down the names of all the folks that took the time to review the last recital and I thought i would start with them.

#9. Monica- You just get better and better! I love the piece but I really love the feel you have for it. It just seems to flow from your fingers. Before i read what you had to say about it I was really thinking it sounded like a hymn! Especially the beginning and end.

#70 Hisalone. Booggy baby! great rendition of that tough piece. It sounds like something you can just keep speeding up and improving. Very cool.

#22. John Frank- I never realized what a neat piece that is. Nicely done.

#25 epf. - Hey, really nicely done. The turns are really fun. Great job. 123...123....123 \:\)

#73. Sandy - Sandy, I kept looking up at my computer to watch the movie... \:\) It would be a great soundtrack for an old silent film. That was great. Surprise ending.

#46. Mandrew- Lovely. what a great job filling in from bare bones. I especially like the little blues turns you throw in every now and then.

#13. B528 Phew, I'm glad I'm not the only one trying to sing on the recital. Very enjoyable. I really like the way you work the singing with the playing... Very smooth. OK... what's with the synth at the end? \:D Great touch. It got me smiling.

#27. Serge88- After the last tune I kept waiting for you to sing... \:\) Nice. sounds like you lucked out too getting it on the first take. You can hear that you were really into it.

#38. Jotur- Yeehaa. rousing!

#56. Rustyfingers- great playing. Good feel for that bluesy thang.

#32. joangolfing- what a lovely work. You really played it well.

#05.-Superhunky- You have definitely found your forte. Really interesting piece. some of the melody is haunting but in a nice mysterious swirly kind of way. Hey, I hope you share that cd when it's done?

66. DDH- ahh, I just love Schumann. You played it like a pro. Sweet rubato.

#28- Seaside Lee i kept waiting for Louis to start singing. \:\) that is a fantastic job!!! Mix the drinks and stand me by the piano cus I can listen to that all day!!

#14 riddler- why would anyone look down on that work? It's got so much to it. I love it. good job.

#43 Mahizeit- what a great feel. What clunkers? what a wonderful moody improvisation. Nicely recorded too. I'm going to come back and listen to this again. It's fitting my mood this rainy foggy morning.

#65. Piano dad- I love this waltz. I was holding my breath to see how you would handle the fast parts. Excellent. nice rubato too.

#7 Mati- first I just have to comment on the sound of your recording. really nice! I don't know what you did but it has a very sweet mellow sound. as for the work... wonderful! beautiful melody and fantastic playing. I'm coming back to hear this again.

#50. Greg- It would have been funny had i come to this last as I am beginning to fall into a stupor. You played around with this right? I love the upper part you finish with.

#29. Copper- OK, nice final piece for me this morning. great job copper!

This was a very enjoyable way to start my day. As always I'm overwhelmed by how well people play on this forum. I'm jealous but in a good way. It just makes me want to work harder and also helps me to not feel quite so alone here with my piano knowing that there are so many great folks out there doing the same thing and doing it so well. Thanks for sharing everyone.

#1005656 - 11/15/08 09:46 AM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
Kawaigirl1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
Wow, what a great way to start my morning by listening to everyone's fantastic performances. Thanks Monica and Mahlzheit for putting this recital together The streaming player is great!

Here's some comments of what I have listened so far:

Lisztener: That was a beautiful performance. You play with such feelings and emotions.

Dannylux: You always find these old but beautiful masterpieces. Your playing standards are high and I really admire your playing. Bravo!

AnthonyB: Einaudi, one of my favorite composer. This is a great piece and you played it very well \:\)

Ode2joy: That was a delightful piece. Bach's pieces are difficult to play and you brought out the various voices well.

S-H: I always enjoy listening to your compositions. This piece had that "hauntingly" beautiful melody. You always add the S-H style and flair to your music which makes your playing unique.

Jazzprof: Absolutely beautiful playing. Chopin's work aren't easy to play and you've done a great job.

Mati: The tune to this piece is so familiar. You played it very beautifully.

Peyton: Your piano playing was fantastic and to incorporate singing is not easy. In my opinion you've captured the feeling of the piece well.

Monica: I so look forward to hearing you play and you haven't disappoint. You had played with such grace and expression. Bravo!

Knotty: What a great improv job you did! It sounded like you had fun playing the piece as well.

more to follow....

flickr

#1005657 - 11/15/08 10:41 AM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jacksonville, Florida
Fantastic playing everyone, I'm too much of a newb to feel like I can critque but everyone just impresses the heck out of me.

Mel, as usual blows me away with his grace and exquisite playing. Such a natural.

AnthonyB extremely impressed, you are so talented. Keep it up you blew me away too for 10 months of playing all I can say is "you got it"

Listzner, I felt like I was in a concert hall. Such beautiful playing

Mr Shuper-chunky very beautiful as usual. wowsers

Monica you did that hymn great justice. The phrasing throughout the whole piece was incredible. You built it up so well and then it soared like an eagle and it made my heart soar as well. Superb!!!

I wish I could comment on each and every one but I'm just not a very sit still kind of person so I want to say "Great Job everyone"

#1005658 - 11/15/08 11:00 AM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Edinburgh
I'm swimming in a lake of recital-ness...

#1005659 - 11/15/08 11:51 AM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
Once again you have all outdone yourselves. Bravo! I've been listening to the streaming player this morning with great enjoyment. You give me something to aspire to.

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#1005660 - 11/15/08 12:06 PM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

Isn't this super? What a beautiful and diverse collection of "ear candy". I'm proud to be in such lofty company with all of you. Now, back to more of this enthralling concert.

#1005661 - 11/15/08 12:10 PM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
babama Offline
500 Post Club Member

LaValse
What a beautiful little piece, well done! Does Scriabin have more gentle pieces like this?

Ozor Mox
Very nice. I much prefer this to Celine Dion's singing. \:\)

Etorrales
Subtle and beautiful. Very good dynamics and control.

#1005662 - 11/15/08 12:52 PM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
Kawai, HI Offline

Okay, first a huge mahalo (thanks) to all who put this together. I really don't know how you guys do this but then my VCR still blinks 12:00.

Second, I don't feel right reviewing most of the music here 'cause most of you are above my ability. So I'll make some brief comments.

Lastly, I work from the back to give some love to the "11th hour people" (like me).

70. Hisalone (Joel) - Bumble Boogie[/b] Holy Cats! Your timing and rhythm is great. How'd you do that? Please don't ever follow me again.

71. Mark... - Spooky Story & American Hymn[/b]Well done. Nice feeling

72. Mar_red - Moon River[/b]Very pretty, clearly beyond the 1.5 years you've been playing.

73. IPIBAHN - Sandy - Tarantella - Prokofiev[/b]Well played. Nice tempo.

74. bruceee - Prelude Op 28, No 20[/b]I love Chopin. Nice touch.

75. etorrales - Nocturn in Eb Major[/b]Oh my, I do love Chopin. Beautifully played.

76. Extraghost - River Flows In You[/b]I'm not familiar with this piece but I liked it. Nice light touch.

77. Theowne - Prelude to the "Tombeau de Couperin" Suite[/b] Beautiful.

#1005663 - 11/15/08 01:08 PM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

16 flyingfroggy - Prelude in C# minor Op. 3 No. 2, Sergei Rachmaninoff[/b]
Admirable job. Anything by Rachmaninoff has always been difficult for me. You seem to have captured the drama of the piece quite well even through the rather poor quality of the recording itself. The clipping is probably due to the limitations of the microphone in capturing the large dynamic range of your playing. Great job.

17 Orez Eno - Comptine d'un autre ete: l'apres, Yann Tierson[/b]
A second interpretation of this beautiful piece for the same recital. Very nice job. Yours is a bit more introspective in character than Benny's version. I think I like yours best, but they are both well done.

18 glitzer - Petite valse from Kinderalbum, M. E. Bossi[/b]
I agree with your assessment of the piece. It brings one back to a simpler time. It is, after all, a piece meant to be enjoyed by children, and you played it very nicely. I disagree with your assessment of the recording as not fit for public display, though.

19 Eternal - Right Here Waiting, Richard Marx (not Karl \:D )[/b]
This is a very beautiful song, and your version captures the feeling in the original. Excellently played, but with perhaps just a touch too much pedal, IMHO. I found myself singing along as I listened. Very enjoyable.

20 TrueBeginner - Les Reves Du Matin ( The Morning Dreams ), Paul De Senneville[/b]
Doesn't sound like a nightmare to me. I enjoyed listening. I still think pieces with varying and more or less constant arpeggios in the left hand are difficult, and they take quite a bit of time to master. I know I couldn't have played this after nine months of playing, so I think you have done extremely well with this beautiful piece. We've heard a good deal of De Senneville the past few recitals, and he never disappoints.

21 Laura D - Sonata K. 95, L. 358, Domenico Scarlatti[/b]
Yes, this is a fun piece, and a difficult one to master (for me, at least). You played it very nicely with feeling and facility. Great job!

22 John Frank - Hava Nagila, trad.[/b]
I remember playing this piece as a teenager. I loved it. I would compete with myself to see how fast I could play it and still be reasonably accurate. I would start off slow and gradually increase the tempo until I was practically tying my fingers into knots. I played it almost every day, and had many hours of fun with it, and my Mom (God rest her soul) endured the agony without complaint. You have inspired me to try it again, I think, since I haven't played it in many years. Very nicely played, John Frank. I love this piece.

23 Honnli / Steven - Suteki Da Ne, Nobuo Uematsu & Kazushige Nojima[/b]
Excellent! You captured the emotion of this piece well with your dynamics. As a non-gamer, I have found myself constantly surprised by the beauty of much of the music from games. My idea of game music was the old Super Mario Bros. theme. \:D Things have definitely changed for the better.

24 Casyopea - Radio Ballet, Eluvium (Matthew Cooper)[/b]
Nice job! I am not familiar with the piece, but it does sound vaguely familiar as though I have heard it somewhere without really knowing what it was. It sounds rather difficult, and you played it very well.

25 epf - La Styrienne (Op 100, No. 14), J. Friedrich Burgmüller[/b]
A difficult piece well played. Nice job, epf. Any mistakes were, indeed, quite small. They were not noticeable at all (if they exist.)

26 Diane Cornellier - Minuet in G, J. S. Bach[/b]
Wonderful job, Diane. You have only six months of playing under your belt? I am truly impressed.

27 Serge88 - Imagine, John Lennon[/b]
Fabulous job! I know you are getting better. Maybe you are lucky, too. Who knows? ;\) In either case, I enjoyed listening.

28 Seaside_Lee - What A Wonderful World, Bob Thiele[/b]
I knew I was going to enjoy this one before I even started listening. What a great old song. Who could ever forget Louis Armstrong's version of this one. Another surprisingly emotional version is the recent one by country singer Ray Price. Yours is truly enjoyable as well, with the emotional impact of the original along with the inimitable Seaside touch. You really have to learn to cook some different recipes, Lee. One of my favorite easy recipes is cooked all in one dish. I place green beans at one end, chicken breast in the center, and cubed potato at the other, half-fill the dish with water and dollop a bit of butter on top. Then I sprinkle it with dry Italian dressing mix (Good Seasons brand), and bake it for a couple of hours at 375 F. Delicious and easy. But back to the music, Great job!

29 Copper - Here There and Everywhere, Lennon & McCartney[/b]
Another wonderful Beatles tune. I see you played this from a fake book with simple chords in the left hand. It works for this piece. Some songs work best with simple accompaniment. I enjoyed listening to it.

30 Mike White Yamaha G3 & P80 - Granada, Isaac Albeniz[/b]
Those arpeggios are difficult for everyone, not just for you. And that isn't the only difficult part of this piece, there is some trickiness in the right hand as well. Excellent job!

Everything is terrific so far. I am looking forward to the rest as I have time to listen and enjoy.

flickr

#1005664 - 11/15/08 01:26 PM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
Always Wanted to Play Piano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
Ohitpro, what soundfont did you use to render Morning Snowfall?

Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/

#1005665 - 11/15/08 02:16 PM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
Kawai, HI Offline

Next 10...

60. Babs - Prelude in B Minor (op28,no.6)[/b]
You balance the left hand melody well. Good job.

61. Oxfords Gal - Clowns OP 39 No. 20[/b] Short, sweet and bright.

62. bluekeys - Sonata in C (K545)[/b]The more I play the more I realize that Mozart is not easy. Nicely done.

63. Euan Morrison - Vesper (from Casino Royale)[/b] I have not seen the movie but I liked this piece. There is a sadness in it. You play well.

64. AdagioM/Michele - Vals No. 1 from Valses Poeticos[/b]Very pretty. Your experience shows.

65. Piano*Dad - Waltz in C-sharp minor Op. 64 no. 2[/b]I love Chopin. Well played, I didn't even hear the edit.

66. ddh - Daniel - Wiegenliedchen 124.6 (Little lullaby)[/b]Very pretty. Not bumpy at all. You should play more classical.

67. cscl - Sonatina in C (Op. 36, No. 3, I-II)[/b]I liked both movements. I'm glad to hear others have to squeeze recordings in between the activities of life. Anyway, good job.

68. polostrings - Imagine[/b]Hey Cutie, what are you doing after the recital? Seriously, you have made such great progress, I know, I've watched you. Your ability to deliver under pressure is something I really admire about you. That and the sweetness and devotion that you apply to the things you love.

69. Kawai, Hi - Dragon Fly[/b] Should be Dragging Fly. Riddled with mistakes and uneven. Let's hope you teacher never hears it!

#1005666 - 11/15/08 03:22 PM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
Mar_red Offline

Loc: Poland
 Quote:
Originally posted by Kawai, HI:

72. Mar_red - Moon River[/b]Very pretty, clearly beyond the 1.5 years you've been playing.

75. etorrales - Nocturn in Eb Major[/b]Oh my, I do love Chopin. [/b]
Kawai , HI , thank you for your nice words. Have a look at Seaside Lee’s level of playing after nearly 2 years of learning

http://www.pianomagic.com/VirtualVacation/3PMMOLondonSeasideLee.wmv

In my opinion Seaside Lee back then was already a master of piano!

In my case my childhood lessons on accordion help a great deal especially as far as my RH is concerned. It’s amazing to what extent one’s childhood command of an instrument is engraved in one’s muscles, brain.
Having returned to music in 2006 I returned to the accordion and then in 2007 switched to the piano.

It’s very nice you like my countryman’s - Chopin’s music. As a child I happened to strike a few times on the keys of HIS piano. It was a very old ruined piano. It was placed in a very old dilapidated house. Some years later it was bought and restored by very rich man. But now I can say I “played” on HIS instrument \:\) .

#1005667 - 11/15/08 03:23 PM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
AdagioM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Wonderful recital! Here's what I've listened to so far:

01. Lisztener - "Gone”: This is really gorgeous. Your playing is very expressive. One for the iPod!

02. dannylux / Mel - Glinka Nocturne in E flat: Love those 2 against 3’s; you do them very well. I don’t! Interesting that nocturnes were happening all over, suddenly. Was it Field’s fault?

03. AnthonyB - Stella Del Mattino: Star of the Morning? This really sparkles! You’ve come a long way in 10 months; did you have prior experience? Really nice playing.

04. Ode2Joy - Prelude in F minor BWV 881: Very nice Bach. Bach scares me; I salute you!

05. Mr. super-hunky - *Magicland*: This is beautiful, haunting, and will make a great cheap Christmas gift indeed! I do miss your acoustic piano, though. Will you re-post when you re-record?

06. jazzyprof - Etude op.25 #1 (Aeolian Harp): It does sound like a harp! Nice work, and a great way to keep it in your fingers, too. Where do you put your Zoom when you record? I’m still experimenting with mine (H2).

07. Mateusz 'Mati' Papiernik - Polskie drogi (Polish roads: Melancholy and sentimental, in a good way. Beautiful.

08. Peyton - The Last Man Alive: Moving and haunting. I admire how you can sing and play at the same time; I can’t even talk while I’m playing. Too uncoordinated!

09. Monica K. - Fairest Lord Jesus: This was one of my favorite hymns when I was growing up. You play it beautifully, and I like the interludes between the iterations of the melody of the hymn.

10. Knotty - Just Friends - Improvisation Etude: That was really cool! I felt like I was at a jazz club, just chillin’.

11. Benny - Comptine d'un autre été: l'après-midi: Beautiful!

12. ohitpro - Morning Snowfall: Congratulations on your first recital entry! It is beautiful; I can see the snow falling gently…

13. b528nf7 - Bill - Ol' Man River: Nice job with an old standard, and I like how you added chorus in the latter part.

14. Riddler (Ed) - Rhapsody In Blue: Makes me want to fly United! I love this piece. Nicely done.

15. Kawaigirl1 - Winter Walk: As always, you play so beautifully. I’m on a peaceful winter walk with you, sounds like evening.

#1005668 - 11/15/08 03:36 PM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
Kawai, HI Offline

Quote:
It’s very nice you like my countryman’s - Chopin’s music. As a child I happened to strike a few times on the keys of HIS piano. It was a very old ruined piano. It was placed in a very old dilapidated house. Some years later it was bought and restored by very rich man. But now I can say I “played” on HIS instrument .
Wow, what a great experience. I have always been drawn to his music. I think I really wanted to play piano so that one day I could play his music.

#1005669 - 11/15/08 03:52 PM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
ohitpro Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio, USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Always Wanted to Play Piano:
Ohitpro, what soundfont did you use to render Morning Snowfall? [/b]
Hi AWTPP,

I used a Steinway soundfont - the link was from one of mahlzeit's tutorials on MIDI conversion ( here ). It's a bright sample and I didn't spend any time tweaking the settings - maybe I'll do that for the next recital!

Let me know if you have other questions.

Regards,
ohitpro (Tom)

#1005670 - 11/15/08 03:54 PM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
AdagioM Offline
500 Post Club Member

A few more:

16. flyingfroggy - Prelude in C# minor Op. 3 No. 2: Wow. Powerful and moving. Great job, transcends the old mic and laptop.

17. Orez Eno - Comptine d'un autre ete: l'apres-midi: Congratulations on overcoming your fear! And thank you for submitting this entry; you’ve done well.

18. glitzer - Petite valse from Kinderalbum: This is absolutely charming! I love music that is ostensibly for children; it’s accessible and you can do a lot with it.

19. Eternal - Right Here Waiting: Yes, everyone knows it, and you play it well. Thank you for sharing!

20. TrueBeginner - Les Reves Du Matin ( The Morning Dreams ): Sounds dreamy! Nice playing.

21. Laura D - Sonata K. 95, L. 358: What, no Partita in B flat?! This is really nice, clean playing, and the ornaments are great!

22. John Frank - Hava Nagila: Have two nagilas, indeed! Full of chutzpah, vim and verve!

23. Honnli / Steven - Suteki Da Ne / Isn't It Beautiful (Piano Collections): I love how beautiful music comes out of video games! Or at least some video games. Nicely played.

24. Casyopea - Radio Ballet: I can see why you are in love with this piece; it’s beautiful. You did a great job with it.

25. epf - La Styrienne (Op 100, No. 14): Playful! I like Burgmuller’s dances based on folk dance forms. This one is fun.

26. Diane Cornellier - Minuet in G: Very nice work at 6 months! I remember loving this piece when I started, too. Real music.

27. Serge88 – Imagine: Sensitively played, with feeling.

28. Seaside_Lee - What A Wonderful World: Beautiful rendition of a beautiful song. Pianomagic is magic!

29. Copper - Here There and Everywhere: I love this song; it makes me feel reminisce-y. Your playing of it has a wistful quality. Nice.

30. Mike White Yamaha G3 & P-80 – Granada: The left hand at the beginning sounds difficult! Reminiscent of a guitar strumming as accompaniment to the RH melody. You do it well.

Must go rake leaves for a while; more later.

#1005671 - 11/15/08 04:00 PM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland
01. Lisztener - "Gone"[/b] Your beautiful playing is a perfect compliment to the beautiful pictures. Thanks!

04. Ode2Joy - Prelude in F minor BWV 881[/b] I am so glad you overcame your nerves and submitted this piece to the recital. You have a wonderful touch – It is a real joy to hear.

06. jazzyprof - Etude op.25 #1 (Aeolian Harp)[/b] Nicely played. Your piano sounds amazing.

08. Peyton - The Last Man Alive[/b] Nice job both playing and singing. The quality of the recording was also very good – clear and with excellent balance between your singing and playing.

09. Monica K. - Fairest Lord Jesus[/b] What a delightful piece and great performance – I love the way it starts slow and sweet and picks up in speed and passion.

10. Knotty - Just Friends - Improvisation Etude[/b] Really Nice!! I like watching you play this “live” on Youtube. You have a great style.

11. Benny - Comptine d'un autre été: l'après-midi[/b] Well played – you did an excellent job of maintaining tempo throughout the piece.

12. ohitpro - Morning Snowfall[/b] Great first entry!! I hope it is not your last. Wonderfully evocative piece that captures the feel of the first snowfall of the season. Left me wanting more.

14. Riddler (Ed) - Rhapsody In Blue[/b] Ed – I was looking forward to hear your rendition of one of my favorite pieces and was not disappointed. Well done – you got not only the notes right but also the emotion.

16. flyingfroggy - Prelude in C# minor Op. 3 No. 2[/b] You are right – the quality of the recording is a little off but not the quality of the performance. You can really play!!

38. jotur - Cathy Turner - Stone's Rag[/b] Cathy – loved this rag. I also watched your videos on YouTube. You and your band looked like you were having a great time as did the dancers. I can picture them “clogging” to your great playing on this tune. Cool Ending!

64. AdagioM/Michele - Vals No. 1 from Valses Poeticos[/b] Very Impressive for “hardly playing the piano this year”. You obviously have great talent to turn in such a nice performance after such a layoff.
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
> Robin Spielberg Playing in Maine! <
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
136 registered (Atrys, Alex1, AmateurBob, accordeur, AndrewJCW, 32 invisible), 1959 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75483 Members
42 Forums
156069 Topics
2291809 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kristian Bezuidenhout on Mozart and his piano music
by bennevis
28 minutes 58 seconds ago
Hard Starting Intermediate
by frankeric
45 minutes 37 seconds ago
And what about this one?
by leel
Today at 04:23 PM
No music rest for Roland stage pianos?
by Delphian2001
Today at 04:20 PM
Where is the new blood?
by Markarian
Today at 03:53 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission