Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#657933 - 09/22/06 10:35 PM yamaha cp300=overpriced
trogdor Offline

Loc: New York, NY
As far as I can tell, all you get for your extra $1000 over the cp33 is string resonance and some crummy speakers. You could do alot with the extra cash, ie:

cp33, free shipping $1215 (bhphotovideo)
akoustik/ivory $280
laptop for akoustik $400 @best buy or cc sale
behringer studiomonitors$280 @zzounds
behringer usb audio out $60
ram for laptop $60

Total $2295

This rig is 4% more than the cp300 alone, and sounds way more like a piano than the cp300. Plus you get some good speakers and a laptop which can record and playback your music. Granted, I would rather lug around a cp300 than a cp33 and all that stuff, but for many users it's not much of an issue if the piano doesnt move too frequently.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#657934 - 09/23/06 07:13 AM Re: yamaha cp300=overpriced
NobodyImportant Offline

That's interesting.

Is it true that the CP33 has the same keys as the CP300?

Suppose I'm interested in pursuing this strategy and using the piano as a MIDI controller only, with sounds and processing on a computer. Would it be possible to go even cheaper on the keyboard and still get one that's darn close to a real piano? (Even the $400 controllers claim to have excellent piano-like touch. I don't believe them).

#657935 - 09/27/06 03:12 AM Re: yamaha cp300=overpriced
BonsoWonderDog Offline

As far as I can tell, all you get for your extra $1000 over the cp33 is string resonance and some crummy speakers.

BWD: The speakers are apparently quite good, and are meant to provide a more "real" experienced because of the vibration provided. Also on the CP300 is 128 polyphony compared to the CP33's 64, 50 voices + 480 XG voices + 12 drumkits compared to only 14 voices; A full 16 track sequencer compared to none, and oh yes, an extra 16kg in weight ;-)

You could do alot with the extra cash, ie:

cp33, free shipping $1215 (bhphotovideo)
akoustik/ivory $280

BWD : Can't be bothered at this point in time having to hook up a PC etc....and if Ivory is so good then I can hook it up to the CP300 later anyway......

laptop for akoustik $400 @best buy or cc sale
behringer studiomonitors$280 @zzounds

BWD: Don't need separate monitors on the CP300 - that's one of the benefits for me....

behringer usb audio out $60
ram for laptop $60

Total $2295

This rig is 4% more than the cp300 alone, and sounds way more like a piano than the cp300.

BWD : That's a very subjective thing I'm sure...

Plus you get some good speakers and a laptop which can record and playback your music. Granted, I would rather lug around a cp300 than a cp33 and all that stuff, but for many users it's not much of an issue if the piano doesnt move too frequently.

BWD : I get your point though, and it's valid. My point is that having an all-in-one solution without all the cables, computers and software bugs is appealing to some people (me).

I'm also trying to justify my purchase of a CP300 yesterday (hasn't been delivered yet)

:-)

BonsoWonderDog

#657936 - 09/27/06 06:41 AM Re: yamaha cp300=overpriced
Laurens Offline

Loc: The Netherland
Would the CP33 be the best solution if you would go the Laptop/Ivory route ?

#657937 - 09/27/06 08:05 AM Re: yamaha cp300=overpriced
BonsoWonderDog Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Laurens:
Would the CP33 be the best solution if you would go the Laptop/Ivory route ? [/b]
Speaking from ignorance, I assume that it doesn't matter a rat's arse what you get if you're going to use Ivory et al, as long as it has:

(a) action you like
(b) midi in/out etc

If I was going down that route then I think the CP33 would be too expensive also....why pay for piano samples that you already have?

I'd find the cheapest nastiest 88 key with an action that I liked and midi. I'm sure that would be very cheap.

Damian (BWD)

#657938 - 09/27/06 08:52 PM Re: yamaha cp300=overpriced
puff Offline

Loc: oxford UK
It seems that the best 88 note(or now available 76 note version)controller for piano feel could be the Studiologic VMK 188 plus. This had a good review in Keyboard mag coupled with Ivory (it even comes withan Ivory template) It has a new graded action withsome kind of escapement feel.

BTW If youre thinking of getting one make sure it comes with the new black end cheeks.Its been re-designed to be more rugged.

#657939 - 09/28/06 09:28 AM Re: yamaha cp300=overpriced
cb750k7 Offline

Another issue with Ivory, or any software synth, is latency. The best I can get with my computer setup is 6ms, which is fairly good. But I can still notice the lag and it just doesn't feel right. Unless you can get close to zero latency, I don't see the practicality of software synths for serious piano practice/playing.

I went with the CP300 because I wanted the all-in-one solution. And more importantly, my wife wouldn't let me keep all that extra stuff hooked up to a CP33 in our living room.

The fact that I payed $1799 for a 2 week old floor model at Guitar Center made the decision a little easier. 8-)

#657940 - 09/28/06 10:26 AM Re: yamaha cp300=overpriced
RandomThoughts Offline

Loc: Canada
Heh, I'm reasonably sure that a $400 laptop won't run Akoustik Piano very well.

And even though I've got a computer set up with AP and The Grand on my P250 - well, 9.9/10 times, I just turn on the piano to play.

There's something to be said about not waiting for a computer to boot and samples to load.

#657941 - 09/28/06 02:30 PM Re: yamaha cp300=overpriced
yiss Offline

Loc: jerusalem
Speaking about overprice, the CP300 is coming soon to Israel. The price of the P140 here is over $2000! So the CP300 will be something like $4000!!!
It's more economical to order it from the states and pay expensive shipping (about $500) and heavy taxes! That will only end up at about $2800.
I asked the dealer to let me know what am I actually paying for, and why in the world should I buy it from them if it costs less to import it myself. His reply was “statistically it is possible that some models are defected. We give warranty and repair service. You will be stuck if you order from overseas”. I think it’s insane. The Kawai and Roland prices are much more reasonable. A different company imports them.

#657942 - 09/28/06 07:44 PM Re: yamaha cp300=overpriced
FogVilleLad Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
yiss, [/b]Welcome to Supply and Demand, as that concept actually operates in the marketplace;-) On the bright side, knowing that retail prices are similar in other markets tells you that wholesale prices probably are, too. That means that there could be room for negotiating.

#657943 - 09/28/06 07:51 PM Re: yamaha cp300=overpriced
BonsoWonderDog Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cb750k7:
And more importantly, my wife wouldn't let me keep all that extra stuff hooked up to a CP33 in our living room. [/b]
Hahaha....me too !!

Damian

#657944 - 09/28/06 07:57 PM Re: yamaha cp300=overpriced
BonsoWonderDog Offline

I paid the equivalent of about USD$2200, which I guess is worse than USA but better than Israel.

Damian

#657945 - 09/28/06 08:19 PM Re: yamaha cp300=overpriced
johnny boy Offline

Loc: seattle
$400 laptop will NOT run Akoustik Piano. You will need more like a $1000 laptop (most of those $500 laptop comes with 256/512 MB of memory and 4200 RPM drives. You will need 1 GB of memory (if dedicated to run only the piano. More like 2 GB, if it is your dual purpose computer) and 7200 RPM (5400 might work) HD to run Akoustik piano without any pop or crackles. For Ivory, for sure you would need 7200 RPM and 2 GB of memory).

As mentioned, you could just get a MIDI controller with no sound. A nice MIDI controller with good hammer action (VMK188 Plus that has been mentioned here) cost about $900.

I get 2 ms latency on my laptop and my desktop playing Synthogy Ivory and Art Vista Virtual Grand Piano. It feels just like I am playing hardware digital piano. The key is that you will need a good pro level sound card with great driver support. I am running Echo Indigo on my laptop and M-Audio 2496 on my desktop. I get 2 ms on both machines.

So....

Hammer action keyboard - $900
Laptop - $1000
Soundcard - $150 (you need ASIO support to play in real time. I don't think the behringer usb audio out has ASIO support)
Akoustik/Ivory Piano - $280.
Studio monitors - $200

Total $2530

#657946 - 09/28/06 08:40 PM Re: yamaha cp300=overpriced
setchman Offline

Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster.

This topic hits very close to home for me since I recently purchased a CP33 after selling an S90ES. Yes, you read that correctly. Although I personally think the S90ES has the best sounding piano of ANY digital keyboard available right now, there were just enough little issues I had with it that caused me to want to make a switch.

In spite of the price difference between the CP33 and CP300, I don't believe the CP300 is overpriced. If you compare the specs you'll see that the CP300 still has a lot of additional features that the CP33 doesn't have. Whether or not it's worth the additional cost is strictly a matter of opinion and entirely dependant on what features you are looking for in a stage piano.

I took the money I had left over after selling the S90ES and purchasing the CP33 and purchased some additional music-related software and hardware and, most importantly, upgraded my computer to fully exploit the potential that Ivory has. I've owned it for a while now, and although it's mostly worked fine, I could tell that it was still taxing my system.

I can honestly say that I am far happier with my setup now than I was with just the S90ES as my only "real" piano sound, in spite of how much I loved its sound. Because my keyboard is in my office next to my computer, aestehics are not really an issue. Having built my own computer specifically to run music hardware/software has now made me slightly favor the software-based piano setup. Of course I reserve the right to change my mind when the next round of digital pianos hit the market ;\) .

I can tell you from experience that RandomThoughts was right. A $400 laptop will never run Akoustik/Ivory well. Still, the gist of the original topic is not at all unrealistic. With the right computer and a decent digital piano/MIDI controller you can certainly put together a software-based piano that is every bit as good in terms of sound, as any traditional digital piano. And in my case, at least for now, I am happier with my computer-based setup than with any digital piano that I could play and reasonably afford.

Eric

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Casinitaly... No use...
by alfredo capurso
10/24/14 05:49 PM
What Piece Is This?
by Works1
10/24/14 03:43 PM
Suites Georg Bhm
by Johan B
10/24/14 03:40 PM
Which brand has the best key action under 1,000 USD?
by login
10/24/14 03:18 PM
Recording the results of Pianoteq
by Roger Ransom
10/24/14 01:35 PM
Who's Online
120 registered (anotherscott, accordeur, 36251, alfredo capurso, 32 invisible), 1266 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76643 Members
42 Forums
158475 Topics
2327349 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission