Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#665056 - 11/03/06 08:39 PM DGX 620
kellyboy Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Hi folks. I'm new to the forums, but I have noted that this instrument, also known I believe as YPG 625, has been mentioned on here a couple of times. I also know that at least one member (Sid) has purchased one. I would be very interested in hearing from Sid, and anyone else with experience of this great looking keyboard/stagepiano (I'm not quite sure what category it falls into), about how it performs. I am trying to decide on my Christmas present from my wife and this is one of the models I keep getting drawn to. It has the kind of neat look I want, it's within my price range, includes stand and bench, has a bunch of nice extra features to go with Yamaha's reliable piano sound. the only negatives I see are 1) 32 note maximum polyphony, and 2) GHS weighted keys rather than the more substantial HE (hammer effect) found in the more expensive models. Since I'm a beginner, the polyphony won't be an issue for quite a while,(if ever :rolleyes: ) I assume, but I had been advised to try and get at least 64. The GHS v HE issue is one I'm not too well up on. Would there be a noticeable difference in the action? Or is it simply a case where the HE is designed to last longer? I think I read a comment from someone who had ordered a DP thinking the Yamaha hammer action was the same on all machines, but was disappointed that it felt a lot lighter than some other keyboards he had played in the store. I have not yet seen a store model I can try out but I have played the DGX 525 which is the same instrument but withouth the weighted keys, and I am happy with the sound.
Looking forward to hearing from anyone, especially Sid, who can help me make a decision.

Tom

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#665057 - 11/05/06 10:20 PM Re: DGX 620
Van Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: S. California
Hi Tom,

Just saw your entry and email.

Personally, I have no regrets, partially because the cost was so low, relatively speaking (US$750 no tax and free shipping; including stand, adjustable bench, a $50 yamaha headphone set and a f4 pedal in place of the offered survival package).

It'll be close to 2 months now, and I still love it...

I've not done any layering (there are 6 tracks available on the recorder but I've only used one to date), and only using the stereo voices (which drops the polyphony down to 16 by the way), I've not noticed any note stealing. I like both main piano voices, and the cool galaxy e.piano, harpsicord, theater organ, all the sweet voices, and the chorus voice are all very well done and pretty neat to play with to add variety. So the main voices are in my opinion more than sufficient.

I've used the onboard recording extensively (there are only 5 available slots, you can export to midi or playback to record to your computer via software such as audacity and then save as mp3 or whatever); I've also used the usb stick and usb cable hookup and they all work fine as advertised; for recording I've used the headphone output directly into my laptop's mic input, the cable costs $10 and if you turn the keyboard's volume way down to balance the impedance differences, it works perfectly for recording purposes. Another reason I bought this was for the display and teaching tools. The display is useful for navigating around, but I think the teaching tool/note display is probably more geared to traditional classical music reading, and as I've gone off into chord based playing, it's not really been useful (there is also a chord dictionary which might come in handy, but again I've not used that much as there's a handy formula in music theory for finding any and all chords). I've not used any of the accompaniment features at all, or the pitch bend for that matter, transpose might be handy if I decide to be lazy and not learn my keys (lots of adjustable options).

The GHS action may be lighter than a grand piano, but more than adequate when compared to an old upright I've played for comparison. I think the weight (whether or not ideal) gives you more than sufficient control. I've switched back and forth to the fore-mentioned acoustic console and it takes no time at all to readjust, although you do come to appreciate the full sized 88 keys and sensitive touch (also larger dynamic range) on the 625 (the upright's probably in need of regulation (that it will never get being too expensive) as you can't even play pp on it, not to mention being out of tune etc); if you or your wife already play and have a touch preference then this might be an issue, but perhaps I just don't know any better as it feels fine to me; and possibly it may have allowed me to stay longer on the piano without overfatiguing my fingers...just speculation here. To sum up my impression of the action, it's a pleasure to play on, the feel is very smooth, good attention to detail, good construction no complaints.

Given that I'd have to pay double for the GH and 64 polyphony, I'm not certain it's a cost effective trade off; at least for a beginner. Part of my calculation is that the tech is still improving, so as with computers I undoubtedly will be able to get a much better instrument at a lower price in future, when I can really appreciate and use those features.

In this price range you should also look at the casio privias, the p70 and perhaps the lower cost ydp's (the ydp has 64 polyphony for around $900). The p70's speaker was too small and the interface was not intuitive in my opinion, and I liked the voice/speakers and construction on the yamahas better than casio, the lower end casio privias also suffered from small speakers (but I've read many pros find the heavier action on the casio more realistic so take that into account...also the fact that you can install 3 fixed pedals on the casios; you might want to look at the privia 575r that came out after I purchased the ypg, I believe this has better speakers than the lower end privias).

If I had to do it over again, and knowing how much I love piano, I very likely would have bought the cp300 or pf500 or similar instrument in the $2k range just to get the better multi-sampled sound and better action etc, but this is just greed talking, as in fact I'm still very happy with this one and really haven't met any limitations as of yet.

You'll have to understand that I bought this unit not knowing if I'd take to piano at all and didn't want to invest too much in case I decided to drop it later but not wanting to get a toy either (i.e., an un-weighted non-full size 88 key keyboard)...I think I made the right choice. Definitely do not get an unweighted board as the weight do give you additional control you'll need. I think this board will likely keep me busy for the next 5 years or more, and the money saved (and interest accumulated) can then go to the purchase of a better instrument then, when hopefully my skills will warrant such a thing.

I've come to love piano, and I think I owe a lot of it to the ypg, just because it is so friendly and approachable (not at all intimidating) but still serious enough when I need it to be...the keyboard itself is solidly constructed and pretty heavy (my first impression of it was that it was big, nice to look at with the wood veneer, more expensive looking than its cost, and built like a tank)...I took a saw to the stand to lower it a couple of inches to fit me better, the stand is particle board with veneer and is very stable, even more so now that I've lowered it; if it was more expensive, I'm not sure I would have felt free to do this.

Definitely try out the instrument before buying if possible as comfort/affection for the instrument will affect how much and how often you'll play the instrument in future. Try out some of the more expensive boards to see if the extra voice/action is worth the added expense to you...it all comes down to personal preference in the end.

Also, if you do get an instrument, think about keeping it where you spend the bulk of your time (I have mine in the bedroom so it's the first thing I see waking up and the last thing I see before going to sleep...I find the proximity provides a great incentive/tempation to play.)

On the negative side, the polyphony issue is a concern, but more a theoretical what if than in practice (so far). This is a stage piano, so the pedal tends to get shoved around keep that in mind unless secured somehow. A lot of the general mono voices are just average (the fx stuff are rather pointless, and probably won't ever be used (drums however seem pretty well done and should be usable); I'd have been happy to exchange all the silly fx for a few additional main stereo piano voices - you can look thru the manual to see what I mean). The plastic music bench functions well and is well constructed but looks kind of cheap (ok looking but not as nice as the rest of the keyboard), but once you have music on it you can't see it anyway so it's not an issue, ditto for the grey plastic feet on the stand (funtional, not that great looking, but not bad looking or blatantly objectionable)...these are the only negatives that come to mind (and I'm nitpicking here just to balance out the review), fairly minor stuff.

FYI, here are two recordings using the two primary stereo piano voices:

piano1 (with sustain pedaling):

http://www.box.net/public/exgc1hs3g0

piano2 (without sustain pedaling):

http://www.box.net/public/kxctv08g72

(the last piece is still a work in progress so I'm just providing to give you an idea of the sound, not my playing ability \:\)

I hope this info has helped? I'm not really plugging the ypg, at this price level the feature sets are all comparable, it's just a matter of preference...just saying no buyer's remorse and still happy with mine after all this time.

#665058 - 11/06/06 10:42 AM Re: DGX 620
kellyboy Offline

Sid, thank you so much for taking the time to write that very comprehensive and useful appraisal, and for the sound bites. The two pianos sound great, as does your playing considering you are a beginner! I'm pleased that you are happy with the purchase, and it makes me feel confident that I would not make a mistake doing the same.

I still have a few weeks to decide (it's my gift from Santa ) Like you, I'm a beginner and not too worried about the polyphony, especially when you consider its not that long ago some of the most expensive boards only had 16. Here's my dilemma: I have a 61 key keyboard with 400 voices and 150 rhythm styles, karaoke display etc. etc. (PSR K1)which has been a lot of fun and which has been the spark that ignited my desire to learn to play the piano proper. I could just concentrate on buying a DP with good piano sounds and action, and a minimum of features, for my piano practice and hang on to the PSR and its bells and whistles for messing around and taking to family parties (only when asked :rolleyes: ) The other alternative is to buy something like the 620 which tries to be all of these things in one, and trade in the PSR for what I can get for it. Part of me says I've now outgrown the bells and whistles and don't really need them at all. Its just that I've had so much fun with the PSR, I'm a wee bit reluctant to lose these features, in case the piano lessons don't pan out.

If I decide to go with option #1 I was looking at the Korg SP-250, which comes with custom metal stand an anchored pedal, and 60 note polyphony (not 64 for some reason) and is priced about the same as the DGX620. Just a few voices and features, like layering, splitting, reverv. options and half pedalling. It seems to be more bang for the buck than the P-70. I've also been looking at the casio privias, but it's really hard around here (I'm in Ontario) to find a dealer who has models I can try. The ones I have seen have been trade-ins and they sound and feel as good to me as higher priced Yamahas and Rolands. I sense a degree of snobbishness when the Casio name is mentioned in this business. Salemen tend to look down their nose little and say "We don't normally carry Casio. I could try to order you one, but have you seen this Yamaha over here..." Must be a really low mark-up on the Casios. I'd love to see the results of a blind test, i.e. blindfold a number of top pianists and get them to play a variety of makes and models at different price ranges and chart their opinions on feel, sound etc. It would be interesting to see how the Casios came out on such a test. Anyway I've been told that a Sam's Club near here has a number of Privias, so I'll be off to try them today.

Once again, thanks for your input Sid. It really has been very helpful.

TOM

#665059 - 11/06/06 01:03 PM Re: DGX 620
calvero Offline

Loc: Mt. Morris, MI
Many thanks to you Sid for taking the time to write the very comprehensive review. Although I am not in the market for a keyboard yet, your writing has provided valuable insights.
As for Casio products I think they are every bit as good but very many like to label them as "toys." Probably with the lower prices the sales person would have a smaller commission so of course they would want to sell a more expensive brand.

#665060 - 11/06/06 03:42 PM Re: DGX 620
simple Offline

Mine is coming today. I'm very excited.

#665061 - 11/06/06 07:04 PM Re: DGX 620
Van Offline
1000 Post Club Member

simple,

Congratulations, post pictures, and let us know how you like it and how the sound and action compares with other keyboards/acoustics you've experienced...another perspective should be invaluable for those still looking.

calvero,

My pleasure, and I certainly agree with your comment...not much difference price or feature wise at this price point though, so I hope other people with first hand experience of these various keyboards will chime in and give us their impressions...should be useful for the potential consumer.

Tom,

Glad I could help. I'm not that familiar with the psr, so you'll need to decide if the comparable features on the ypg (aside from the weighted action) are significantly better or not to warrant the upgrade.

If not, I'd say keep the psr and go with the Korg or some other dedicated digital piano if space isn't an issue and you can get a good price on the Korg (as it competes with the p140 that costs almost double the ypg and should have better technology and sound/action).

If you want it all on one keyboard at this price point, then yeah go ahead with the ypg, I wouldn't hesitate at all recommending this.

Let us know what you decide and how the various keyboards compare.

#665062 - 11/07/06 01:20 AM Re: DGX 620
simple Offline

Ok, it's been a few hours and I am posting merely a first impression review of my brand new ypg-625. First I would like to point out that the only reason I got this piano was because americna musical had an open box special, they assured me it was brand new and would come with everythin a new one would come with, but it was a little over a hundred cheaper. SO I jumped on that trash. It is indeed new, the only issue I had was it was missing one screw for the support beam, but 5/6 is still sufficient enough for me not to complain. Other than that, it was very nicely packaged... and came inside vast amounts of cardboard.

Ok, when I first saw it, it was almost...orgasmic one can say. I tried it at guitar center...but it is much different in the comfort of your own home. It is a Sid said, much more expensive looking than 640. The stand does look very nice and modern, and I was worried about the wood and silver finish, but I like it!

As far as feel...and sound? I have experience with 3 keyboards which I own, and 2 uprights at school which I play.
1.)YPG-625
2.)YPG-225
3.)Casio WK-1630
4.)Mason Hamlin upright (older than the buttcrack of the earth)
5)a Yamaha upright.

I definitely wanted a keyboard that was weighted, because my 225 felt too much like a toy after playing on the uprights. The MH and Yamaha's both have very different feels, but I do prefer the Yamaha. The feel is similar to the Yamaha upright, but the 625 feels kind of heavier...imo. I like it though, it gives a very rich feeling to the sound being played. The 225 beat the Casio only in that the keys were real piano size...but other than that, they both felt like cheap toys. The 625 however has some weight to it, which I like. I was honestly disappointed when I first received the 225, because it was much too light, and the volume didn't deliver like my previous casio which was very loud. The 625 has GREAT speakers in my opinion. They just give....I dunno...a RICH sound. It goes much louder than 225, the casio is still louder imo BUT, the 625 trumps it in sound quality. I'm definitely a fan of my new 625. I was thinking about getting the p-70...but it just wasn't loud enough for me. I've heard people say they love the live grand 1 or 2...but to be honest, I can't tell the difference between live 1, 2, or the regular grand sounds. But I am a fan of the sound...it doesn't sound all 'electricy' like my 225 or Casio; it does a much better job of replicating the piano sound I think.

I will try to get pics up soon, and maybe a more in depth review? But I will definitly answer questions as they come up. I still have to learn and play around with all the little functions.

I only really have 2 regrets. 1st, that I bought the ypg-225. I truly wasn't happy with it when I recieved it...but kept it just because. DOn't get me wrong, it's a nice little piano, but now that I have this...it just seems like I wasted 320 bucks.

number 2...that the 625 doesn't come in a 76 key version. I'm doing the whole college roommate thing...and there isn't a lot of space in my room, so I got it all to fit, barely, but I almost had to choose between my desk or bed. So space was an issue for me.

#665063 - 11/07/06 03:10 AM Re: DGX 620
Van Offline
1000 Post Club Member

simple,

Excellent! I'm so glad that we're of like mind on this...and yeah, I totally agree with you about the speakers, the sound and the action (glad to find I wasn't imagining it all; btw, you'll find that default main volume is set at 114 but you can actually dial that baby up to 127 if you need to \:\) ) You'll find the 2 main voices differ significantly the more you play (piano 1 is more mellow/muffled and piano 2 is definitely brighter/clearer, I didn't notice the difference initially either, but it's very obvious now as my ear gets more educated).

I'm very glad to hear your confirmation that the action's weight compares well versus other acoustic uprights.

Don't worry, you'll be glad to have the full 88 keys sooner or later; and hopefully the keyboard will still be with you long after your roomate's become a faded memory.

You can probably find a replacement screw at the local hardware store (very nice price btw on your purchase)...did you get a nice set of headphones as well? An adjustable bench? (very important to get proper height to facilitate playing and avoid injury)

...yeah, when you have the time, a more in depth review would be cool (just for the record...speaking of which come join us in the adult beginner's forum and post some recordings when you get the chance, it'll be fun to hear another ypg put thru its paces)

Your enthusiasm is infectious and really reminds me of my own when I first got it...welcome to the ypg625 fan club \:D

#665064 - 11/07/06 12:07 PM Re: DGX 620
kellyboy Offline

Congratulations, Simple. Enjoy your new instrument.

Tom

#665065 - 11/27/06 01:36 PM Re: DGX 620
Sporty1973 Offline

Hello,

I'm completely new to this site but I've been looking into a new keyboard myself to start learning to play. I've read your comments Sid and I'm in the same boat. Even though I'm a total beginner, I don't want a toy, I want something that will last me a while and have quality to it. I've been reading about the Yamaha YPG625 and I just have a quick question. I'm in Ontario Canada and I've called some dealers but they don't carry the YPG625 as its an American Model. There is a DGX625 model here which is said to be the same, even though on the Yamaha site they are listed separately. It may be a stupid question, but I just figured I'd ask considering I don't have any experience with them. Is the DGX625/DGX620 and YGP625 the same model pretty much? Or is there some difference?

Alex,

#665066 - 11/27/06 01:41 PM Re: DGX 620
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
don't know DGX625 but guess it's the same as DGX620 which mostly equals to YGP625. so, they're the same, but be sure to try it out before buying it.

#665067 - 12/15/06 10:47 AM Re: DGX 620
Romtin Offline

Loc: Aurora, Ontario, Canada
Hello Sid,

If I may ask, I was wondering where you purchased your DGX620 from. The price that you mentioned is very reasonable comparing to what I find here in Canada (Toronto).

I thought it might be worth if I got it shipped to me from the US or I can even drive to Buffalo and pick up one there. Well, I need to consider the gas price and vehicle amortization as well \:\)

Thank you,

Afshin

#665068 - 12/15/06 01:18 PM Re: DGX 620
Van Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hey Afshin,

Got it at contoismusic.com (their physical store is in Vermont I think). The price there now is US$800 but that's with the expensive (and nonadjustable) bench. Internet prices are all around 750 base. The owner was nice to deal with by phone (I don't have any problem recommending them), you can negotiate your specific package of accessories if the ones offered doesn't suit your needs...I asked to drop the useless survival package and get a decent set of headphones instead, total price came to 760 with keyboard, stand, basic adjustable bench, headset and extra fc4 pedal.

BTW, not sure if it's available or not in Canada, but check out Costco, I understand they're being sold there for US$690, seems to be the lowest base price (still would have been more expensive for me as I'd have to pay local taxes) but this might be an option for you.

Make sure the shipping and taxes (border fees) are still free for you otherwise this deal won't make sense.

It is a great keyboard for the price, getting on to 3+ months of almost continuous use and I'm still loving it.

#665069 - 12/21/06 05:00 PM Re: DGX 620
Romtin Offline

Loc: Aurora, Ontario, Canada
Hi Sid et al,

I was wondering what is the difference between a YAMAHA DGX 620 and a YAMAHA YPG 625. They look just the same to me. Of course I'm sure there are some technical differences but can someone please let a not very tech savvy person know the difference \:\)

#665070 - 12/22/06 02:00 PM Re: DGX 620
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
DGX 620 and YPG 625 are basically the same with ignorable technical differences.

#665071 - 12/22/06 04:39 PM Re: DGX 620
Van Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I don't think there are any differences aside from the names. When I was shopping, I did a side by side comparison of the specs (you can look them up on the yamaha website) and they seemed identical to me. I think it may just be different labeling for different markets. They use the same manual.

#665072 - 12/29/06 05:10 AM Re: DGX 620
zhenz Offline

hi, i need some help here. ive checked out some digital pianos already and am quite decided on getting the dgx 620.

however the space where im thinking of putting is quite limited and the dimensions specified on the net is of the keyboard including stand, but i just need the width of the stand itself so i can know if the stand will fit into the space. keyboard width is fine.

so can anyone with the original wooden stand help me measure the width of the stand itself? thank you very much!

#665073 - 12/30/06 05:56 PM Re: DGX 620
Van Offline
1000 Post Club Member

zhenz, ok I measured it, the front foot is flush with the keyboard's front, the back foot is 1" longer than the keyboard's rear.

#665074 - 12/31/06 05:22 AM Re: DGX 620
zhenz Offline

hi Sid, thank you very much!

front and back foot is referring to the depth right? apologies if i wasnt clear by the meaning of the width! its the dimension from left to right.. called length perhaps? info on the net referred to it as width, so i just followed it.

would need to trouble u to measure again. sorry and thanks!

#665075 - 12/31/06 05:28 AM Re: DGX 620
Van Offline
1000 Post Club Member

hey zhenz,

ok, length wise, the stand is the same length as the keyboard.

#665076 - 01/01/07 12:33 AM Re: DGX 620
zhenz Offline

oh dear.. means the legs will not be able to fit in the fiexed space.. argh!

thanks so much sid!

#665077 - 03/17/07 02:35 PM Re: DGX 620
Multi Offline

Loc: London
Sid et al, thanks for all your reviews and comments on the DGX620/YPG625.

Based upon your comments my local music store will have my money tomorrow. Just a couple of follow-up questions/queries though before I commit:

- Sid, you mentioned that you got a better pedal. Is there anything wrong with the one that comes as part of the package?
- I'm more a keyboard player and want to learn how to play the piano properly so pedals is a totally new concept to me. Pianos normally have three, so what purpose do they serve, and why has the DGX620 only got one?
- Has anyone got any comments on the colour scheme on the DGX620? I doubt if it will age very well!
- For some strange reason I can't get onto the Yamaha site to have a more detailed look at the YDP series. Can anyone advise on what essentially is the difference between these and the DGX620 as they seem to be alot cheaper.

Thanks

#665078 - 03/17/07 03:55 PM Re: DGX 620
Van Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hey Multi,

You only really need one for proper piano playing (the sustain pedal, the other two, una corda and sostenuto, is to reduce the volume and to sustain specific keys, nice to have but not really important).

The one that comes with the keyboard is workable but is more like a foot switch, I just wanted something with a lever that more closely resembled a real pedal.

I actually like the color, it's very tastefully done and doesn't get worse with time.

BTW, don't just go on my comments for your purchase, shop around and try out various keyboards first (see if you like the touch/sound) yourself. Casio has some new privias out with much better polyphony almost in the same price range.

Actually, the P70 and YPG are the cheapest weighted keyboards in Yamaha's lineup, the YDP range from the YPG's price up to $1500. The YDPs basically has the cabinet form, complete with integrated pedals, less bells and whistles (which I find I don't really use at all).

If you're just starting out and not sure if you're going to stick with it, and can't afford anything more expensive, then the YPG and Casio privias are still a good rec, just keep in mind that the YPG is a low end board, so if you can afford more, you might want to consider something better right off, like a higher end YDP or discontinued PF500 or a P140 or CP33 (or even CP300) for yamaha and certainly some of the newer offerings from roland and kawai slightly above this price range...Also keep in mind that you can often get some nice high end keyboards from the previous generation in the used market.

Mind you, I'm still happy with it (especially now that I've got it hooked up to my PC running a bunch of sampled pianos), but as I've progressed, I now wish I'd spent double the price to get something better (GH instead of GHS, more piano voices (less bells and whistles) and dynamic sampling and better speakers, etc etc etc \:D ), on the other hand I did save $700 and still really haven't reached the limits of the YPG, yet \:\)

Rereading your comment, seeing as how you're coming from keyboard, the YPG actually may be ideal for you...the weighted piano is pretty decent, and it does have all the bells and whistles you're used to and can use...my niece loves to play with the pitch bend when I'm playing piano (unfortunately, that's the only time that and many other features on my keyboard gets used).

Sorry for confusing you further \:\) Just remember to go out and try it out first, good luck and keep me posted on what you come up with...

One final thought, regarding training for playing on an acoustic, I recently had a chance to play on an older acoustic upright console, and it didn't take me very long at all to get used to the feel. One criticism I've read (and that has some merit) is that the GHS weighted keys are on the light side compared to a real grand piano, so keep that in mind. Additional criticisms, if you turn the volume all the way up and play very loudly, occasionally, you do get some slight distortions, but if you just turn the volume down a little bit from the maximum, then no problem, finally no dynamic sampling and no audio line out.

FYI, here's a piece I'm currently working on, the recording was headphones to mic (that's why the hiss) using piano 2, will give you a good idea of the sound (there's 2 main stereo piano voices...piano 1 is more muffled/mellow, piano 2 clearer brighter)...

http://www.box.net/public/j7ibns31jb

#665079 - 03/17/07 05:20 PM Re: DGX 620
Multi Offline

Loc: London
Thanks for your response, Sid, and bloody excellent playing! Now that's what I want to be able to do (one day!)!

I'll definitely be sticking with it and I'm currently reviewing my finances to see how far I can really stretch, whilst still keeping me in food for the rest of the month! To be honest, a decent digital piano is what I'm after, and bells and whistles are secondary.

Your (again) comprehensive response made me realise (even more!) that there are still a few things that I need to fully research and understand before I part with my hard-earned cash.

Thanks again, Sid.

#665080 - 03/17/07 08:57 PM Re: DGX 620
Hags500 Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY
To everyone above-- thank you, thank you, thank you! I have been researching the YPG-625 (Sam Ash for $779) and DGX620 (Costco for $699) comparing them to others. My kids, beginners, will be the ultimate arbiters of what I offer them, but you have succinctly put it very much in perspective and saved me a heck of a lot of time and wrenching.
Again, thanks!
gh

#665081 - 03/17/07 10:17 PM Re: DGX 620
Van Offline
1000 Post Club Member

gh,

Welcome! I hope you use the opportunity to sit in on a couple of your kids' lessons then grab a self-teaching book and learn to play yourself, seriously, why let the kids have all the fun!

Multi,

Glad I could help, and thank you for the nice compliment! Still haven't done it justice but I hope something of my love for the music and for piano came through. If that's determination I read in your post, then I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how quickly it will come to you, just play music that you love and let that guide you. Come join us over in the adult beginner's forum once you've found your board, good luck!

#665082 - 03/18/07 01:13 AM Re: DGX 620
Honnli Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Hey sid,

Nice playing. I enjoyed reading your review.
I have a question about the key action of the DGX620.

I bought the DGX620 about 4 months ago and I really enjoyed playing on it. But recently I noticed that the keys that I use the most have become a bit loose and quite noisy. When I play passages that require repeated hitting of those keys or when playing staccato, those keys make plastic clicking noises, not like the ES4's clicking black keys, but the sound of the plastic keys making contact with the weight. It feels like there is a slight gap between the keys and the weight beneath them. When hitting those keys, I can feel some vibration from the keys touching the weights. It's like when you hit those keys, the keys travel a slight distance, make contact with the weights, and then push the weights down. I don't quite know how the hammer mechanism works, so what I'm saying might not make sense. But thats how it felt when playing those keys. Have you experienced something like this on your DGX620/YPG625, since you have owned it for longer that I have. I do play on it quite extensively. Should I be worrying about this or does this happen on all digital pianos some point in time? Don't get me wrong, I love my DGX620.

Oh, and which EQ setting did you put your DGX620 on when you did the recording? It sounded really nice.

I might post some recordings later when I have time.

Thanks

#665083 - 03/18/07 02:24 AM Re: DGX 620
Van Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi Honnli,

I haven't owned it much longer than you, only since September. I haven't noticed that the action or the noise has changed since I got it. I do agree with you, it has always been noisy on the fast passages.

I just tested it with the sound off. The downward attack seems pretty consistent (no gaps), resistance all the way down until it thumps against whatever stops the key from further travel, then if released entirely, it will bounce back to rest and then bounce slightly a second time against whatever finally stops it (is it this second bounce and clacking that you're refering to?). Most of the clacking noise seems to be from this second stop and slight secondary bounce as the key comes back to rest position rather than the thump at the bottom, also the clacking seems more noticeable on the lighter treble keys at the far right end.

Usually I have the sound almost at max and don't really notice the noise, it's only when I have my headphones on that it's noticable (particularly to other people). Now you have me worried \:\) Not sure if this is what you're refering to...my guess is it's probably this secondary bounce at the top as the key comes back to rest that you're feeling when playing fast? (but this should be consistent across all keys and not just the ones played most often...)

You could try it out on a new machine at the store to see if it's the GHS action or whether something is wrong with your keyboard.

I always leave the EQ on 2, I never bother changing it to headphones when I record this way (perhaps I should since I use the headphone out)...but it's a moot point now, recently got several sampled vst pianos for the PC (two steinways, a bosendorfer, a bechstein and a steingraeber!) so I'll be doing all my recordings via midi going forward \:D

BTW, write a review if you have time, warts and all, should be useful for other people. Looking forward to your recordings!

#665084 - 03/18/07 03:02 AM Re: DGX 620
namekuseijin Offline

Loc: Brazil
 Quote:
Originally posted by kellyboy:

also known I believe as YPG 625
[/b]
that's correct.

Quote:

anyone else with experience of this great looking keyboard/stagepiano (I'm not quite sure what category it falls into), about how it performs.
[/b]
I bought it 2 months ago and don't regret. The touch feels great with very realistic pianissimos and fortissimos and everything in between, the speakers are impressive, 500 builtin voices -- including Grand Piano Live, Grand Piano Warm Live (more lively equalized sound), several other choices of acoustic and electric pianos as well as harpsichords for accurate Bach playing -- the MIDI saving to USB thumbdrives is lovely.

Living in a small apartment, I had no choice but to go digital. It's actually a blessing: I can put on the earphones and have some arpeggio sessions without bothering the neighbours... \:\)

Quote:

the only negatives I see are 1) 32 note maximum polyphony, and 2) GHS weighted keys rather than the more substantial HE (hammer effect) found in the more expensive models... The GHS v HE issue is one I'm not too well up on. Would there be a noticeable difference in the action? Or is it simply a case where the HE is designed to last longer?
[/b]
Now that you talk about it, the box says: weighted graded hammer action. I don't now if that's the same as HE, whatever that is, but the keys certainly display a very authentic feel of a real acoustic piano, by that I mean the bass keys are more "heavy", resistant to touch than the treble keys, which are "lighter".

Overall, I feel the keyboard is very piano-like, but more on the soft side than the heavy side. But then again: the acoustic piano I had at home in my youth had a lighter touch in comparison to my teacher's piano, so that's just a matter of taste of the manufacturer, I guess.

It certainly doesn't get in the way nor feels fake, that's for sure.

The 32 polyphony limit may be an issue once I get to Liszt pieces, but by then I'll probably have a DGX2480 at home. ;\)

A very good piano in my opinion.

#665085 - 03/18/07 04:32 AM Re: DGX 620
namekuseijin Offline

Loc: Brazil
 Quote:
Originally posted by sid:

I do agree with you, it has always been noisy on the fast passages.
You could try it out on a new machine at the store to see if it's the GHS action or whether something is wrong with your keyboard.

[/b]
I noticed these clanks too. Seems nothing to worry about, as long as volume is right and it doesn't break. \:\)

Also, such mechanical noises don't appear in recordings. \:\)

BTW, after reading this thread I decided to play around with some menu settings and discovered the almighty Reverb Volume Settings. Put it above 40 and you're in for a thrill! Also choose the appropriate ambience setting in another option (Room, Hall etc) \:\)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
103 registered (ando, AndrewJCW, Abby Pianoman, accordeur, 36 invisible), 1659 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75588 Members
42 Forums
156295 Topics
2295386 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How old is a Ahlborn-Galanti Digital Pipe Organ Chronicler
by Chopinlover49
54 minutes 17 seconds ago
1906 Steinway K52 purchase for recording studio?
by nlive
Today at 10:44 PM
Marc-André Hamelin discusses Rachmaninoff
by vers la flan
Today at 09:59 PM
Baldwin E250 1998
by sort
Today at 08:11 PM
Shostakovich and Prokofiev
by Verbum mirabilis
Today at 06:01 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission