Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#684922 - 12/10/06 09:29 PM How to set a USB Midi connection?
Bernardo Offline

Loc: Nantes, France // Rio de Janei...
Hello Guys,
I just bought a Kawai MP8, and with it, a USB cable. I managed to connect the keyboard to the pc, and it was recognized by windows XP, and a driver was installed automatically. I tried to open Anvil Studio but it says aparently I don't have a MIDI in device.
Should I get finale? I don't know what to do.
Could someone tell me a basic test to input music or play a midi file in the mp8(wich I have lots but they sound so horribly in my pc)
Thanks everybody!

Bernardo

-----------------------------
Kawai MP8
Dell Inspiron E1705 with standard sound card, Sound blaster something...

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#684923 - 12/10/06 10:06 PM Re: How to set a USB Midi connection?
bachmaniac Offline

Loc: Montreal, CAN
Hi Bernardo, congrats for your purchase of an MP8, IMO one of the very best offerings on the market. I own a CA-X in addition to my Kawai KG-2D grand and love both, each for its own reason. The CA-X and the MP8 both connect through USB for both MIDI IN and OUT. You don't have a recorder built into your MP8, but here is a fabulously simple one which will enable you to record the midi data of anything you play and play it right back on your MP8 itself. Go to www.playzeit.com and download Red Dot from there. Install this and as you run it, make sure both midi devices (IN and OUT) point to your MP8 piano. Red Dot can't be used to open a saved file, though; it plays back only what you've just recorded. You can play your saved files with Media Player or Real Player or whatever you like afterwards, and edit them with Anvil Studio. Enjoy!
Claude (bachmaniac)

#684924 - 12/10/06 10:37 PM Re: How to set a USB Midi connection?
Bernardo Offline

Thanks for the advice!
I just moved to France to study for a couple of years, and I had to buy something to subst. my acoustic piano in this small room inside a student's residence... That was the closest thing I could find, and also "portable", so I can take it back with me if I fall in love with it. Otherwise, he's going to meet e-bay. hehehe

So, I think i'm coming thru the same problem:
I connect the usb cable, I hear the little windows noise telling me something was connected, eventually I see the "installing driver... MIDI/USB hardware... inst. successful

Then I run red Dot, and I see that in MIDI in I have "No midi input devices available"

In midi out I see "Creative Sound font synthesizer"

I'll restart the computer to see if it works... =(

Using the USB cable is exactly the same thing as using a midi interface? Maybe these programs don't recognize usb yet?

#684925 - 12/10/06 10:47 PM Re: How to set a USB Midi connection?
Bernardo Offline

It didn't work =(

I see that plugging the usb cable in my computer, trigs in Control Panel - Sounds and Audio devices -> 'Hardware' tab, a 'USB Audio device
Manufactor: generic USB Audio;

Should I look for some special driver from Kawai?
In the manual they say that's no needed if I have Win XP...

Anyone?

#684926 - 12/10/06 11:04 PM Re: How to set a USB Midi connection?
bachmaniac Offline

Loc: Montreal, CAN
Well, Bernardo, first of all, your MP8 should be plugged into the computer's USB port and turned on before you run Red Dot. You did say Windows acknowledged the presence of your MP8, right? Okay then. In the Red Dot window, you have two white zones, MIDI in and MIDI out. Click the little pointer to the right, and both in and out should now give you a double choice: that of the wave table on your sound card, or that of your newly-connected peripheral. Choose that in both cases. You absolutely dont' need ANY driver or software from Kawai for this to work. If it works with my CA-X, it MUST work with your MP8, unless your Inspiron or your version of XP is not recent enough (do you have USB 1.0 or USB 2.0 on that Dell?
To make sure, I just turned on my CA-X (which was already plugged into the computer. Windows gave me the «acknowledgement sound», and now MIDI in says «Périphérique audio USB» while out offers me a choice between that peripheral CA-X or my sound card. PLUS the Record button on Red dot now lights up with.... a red dot on it, ready to record...
Claude

#684927 - 12/11/06 08:45 AM Re: How to set a USB Midi connection?
Maxximum Offline

Loc: Istanbul
Sometimes this kind of problems happens with XP. I'm nearly sure that your connections are correct but XP itself is the problem. My RD-300SX connects to my notebook without any problem i can use it as a midi controller but on my desktop i can't. I am using same drivers and both systems are XP but i'm having same problem on desktop

#684928 - 12/11/06 02:42 PM Re: How to set a USB Midi connection?
Bernardo Offline

Hum, I just did the same thing yesterday... I turn on my MP8, I hear the connecting sound just as when you plug a USB flash memory, but in red dot (and every other place else), I don't even have the possibility to 'click' in the Midi in field. It's in grey, showing me that I have no options. How weird!

My notebook, a DELL Inspiron E1705, is brand new, I bought it in USA 4 months ago. My XP version in fact is a Win. Media center Edition. To check if this was the problem, I looked for the kawai driver in the japanese website, and installed the version for XP, althought it says everywhere I don't need.

Could anyone that read this post tell your experience about the first time you connected a keyboard in your pc?

I'll be trying with different notebooks, a Vaio from a friend.
Oh, and I'm not sure my input is a USB 2.0 (As I don't read this nowhere), but I'm pretty there's a long time they don't fabricate usb 1.1.

Thanks for your help!

#684929 - 12/11/06 03:29 PM Re: How to set a USB Midi connection?
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
For my Yamaha CP33's USB connection, I had to install a special driver. Without it, the keyboard would not be recognized as a MIDI Input or Output.

Red Dot Forever simply asks Windows what MIDI In devices are available, so if Red Dot Forever doesn't show any MIDI In devices, that means Windows doesn't recognize any.

Maybe you could try plugging it into another USB port... Other than that, I wouldn't know.

#684930 - 12/11/06 08:14 PM Re: How to set a USB Midi connection?
Bernardo Offline

I think I narrowed the problem.
I just got another notebook (fiend's Sony Vaio with XP home) and the keyboard worked beautifully with red dot forever and anvil. I could taste for 10 min, while my friend stared to me, what is to listen a midi with decent samples instead of pc's ones. Wow!

This is the answer of the Kawai Tech:

"It appears that your computer is automatically installing the generic USB driver for this MIDI device. I have spoken to a few customers that have a similar situation where the device is shown in Control Panel but not in the application.
but I have heard from others that Windows acts differently for them.
It might have more to do with the particular updates to the XP OS and all the service packs, etc. If the boys at Microsoft have any good ideas, please pass them on so I can let others know!

So I found also some insteresting link with various reports of midi incompatiblity with Media Center Edition and some vendors like Pro Tools, Steinberg, Cakewalk, M-Audio, Edirol, Alesis, E-MU, Native Instruments, Mackie, Tracktion, Novation, and even TASCAM:
http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ts/detail.php?Index=30163&keyword=30163
This website points that Win.MC video in features interfere with Midi.

Even M-Audio officially states that Win.MC is not compatible with some products like this keyboard:
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Oxygen49-focus.html

some other stuff I googled:

Think twice about buying Win.MC
http://line6.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=25&t=001854

http://www.music-tech.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1165012747/3
This guy just bought a brand new laptop and it's midi playback is "erratic" with Midi softwares, just like me (apart of the non recognition problem), and they point out as Media Center.

#684931 - 12/12/06 04:19 PM Re: How to set a USB Midi connection?
Eternal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Posts: 80,372
Here's a few things to try for you.

Go to the Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager

Idea 1:
Find your keyboard in there (I think it will be under Universal Serial Bus controllers) Right click on it and pick Update Driver...
Then click on "No, not this time", then Next, then "Instal from a list or specific location" and point to the CD that came with your MIDI interface (or keyboard).

Idea 2:
Unplug your keyboard, and disconnect internet connection. Then remove the driver (you right click on the device in the Device Manager and pick Uninstall) Then plug the keyboard in, and follow instructions (you will most likely have to point to the driver on your CD).

Idea 3:
Try all USB ports on your computer. I've seen cases where things would work on the slower USB ports (10Mbs), and not the faster ones (400Mbs).

#684932 - 12/15/06 11:34 PM Re: How to set a USB Midi connection?
Bernardo Offline

That didn't work as well. Kawai Mp8 doesn't came with a cd, because windows auto install the driver.

It looks like it's this windows media center edition incompatibility with many hardware and software related to midi. I got in touch with Kawai tech, Dell's tech, and tryed Microsoft, but each one says the fault is other's. It seems I'll not be connecting unless I try to install a new windows. =(

Thanks for everybody here though

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Olga Vinokur, Piano Concert Nov. 9, Lowell, MA
by Piano World
4 minutes 39 seconds ago
Yamaha P155 synth/midi question
by sdrep
49 minutes 43 seconds ago
Pianist, Dutch magazine - nr 2 release 31 oct
by Johan B
Today at 06:30 PM
Dutch magazine: Pianist - second magazine appeared 31 oct.
by Johan B
Today at 06:25 PM
Piano Courses
by blugee
Today at 06:15 PM
Who's Online
136 registered (albumblatter, 0987654321, Amo la musica, 46 invisible), 1629 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76721 Members
42 Forums
158656 Topics
2329976 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission