Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#684062 - 08/26/07 05:38 PM best earphones/headphones ??
Thaum Offline

Loc: Uniked Kingdom
Hi Folks,

I'm in the market for a new pair of head/ear phones. Having looked around this forum and elsewhere on the net, I now have more questions than answers, so I hope others here will have considered this issue before me....

I currently have a pair of Panasonic headphones (I paid about £60 about five years ago for them), which on my hi-fi sound splendid, but on my Yamaha 301 leave a lot to be desired. So here's what I'm looking for:

1. Something that will sound superb across the whole sound range, ie not inferior to what I hear from the piano's speakers (and better if this is possible).

2. I do not need to cancel out other environmental sounds.

3. Sound 'leaking' from the ear/head phones is not an issue for me.

4. I'm not keen on my ears being completely closed in by the headphones. Perhaps there exists a more comfortable design that also offers great sound?

4. I've never tried these new-fangled inner ear phones (seem to be popular with ipods etc). I have a converter for the smaller jack, if this is the way to go. Apparently they only need to be run on very low volumes for obvious reasons. Are they inappropriate for a digital piano's power?

5. Whatever I get, I would be wearing for long periods. At the moment, my current headphones are something of a disincentive for playing for extended periods because I'm dissatisfied with their sound performance and comfort.

I'd appreciate any advice. I wouldn't mind paying £100-£200 if that is what it takes, but I'm always keen on a bargain!

Thaum

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#684063 - 08/26/07 07:36 PM Re: best earphones/headphones ??
99gnome Offline

Loc: Germany, Cologne
Hi Thaum,

I recently was on for the same quest as you are, looking for a pair of decent headphones for me hopefully-this-week-to-come Kawai MP-5. From forum searches across the world I narrowed it down to the AKG 530 (in nice white color), Sennheiser HD 555 and Sennheiser HD 595.
I tried all three of them and finally decided on the 555: the AKG looks awefully nice, but has kind of leather pads at the end that make my ear sweat after 3 seconds. Sounded nice, though.
The two Sennheiser both sound very very nice, the 595 a bit stronger (meaning better) in the midths, but around 50 Euro more expensive. Both have very large ear pads that cover the ear completely, but are made of "airy tissue", leaving air for your ears (especially my sweating ears), making it comfortable. At the same time they cover the ears completely so you get real decent bass tones. And still are not completely shut from your surroundings.

So - if you like the AKG, try them - they seem to be the hot tip around. If you can afford the extra money, go for the 595 which are a tad better than the 555. Otherwise, the latter are for you.

Hope that helped a bit \:\)

#684064 - 08/26/07 09:20 PM Re: best earphones/headphones ??
Thaum Offline

Thanks 99Gnome,

Yes, I've read some reviews of the 595s and 555s and was already leaning in that direction, they were all written in the context of connection to hi-fi rather than an digi piano, so I wasn't sure.

I've just ordered some 595s from Amazon, so I shall see (hear) for myself!

Thaum.

#684065 - 08/27/07 02:40 AM Re: best earphones/headphones ??
MarkL Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago Suburban
Consumer Reports did a headphone review last December. They compared a large number of brands and recommended one I'd never heard of. I purchased the SR-80 and am very happy with them.

Best for music, especially at home:
Grado SR-60 $70 CR Best Buy
Grado SR-80 $95

#684066 - 08/27/07 03:12 AM Re: best earphones/headphones ??
Jamble Offline

Loc: Boston, Mass., USA
Sony MDR-7506. I find them great for monitoring generally, and I use them with my Kawai MP5. Rugged, comfortable, and good when you want pure, flat, accurate, sound reproduction.

They're designed for monitoring applications, and are standard issue in many recording studios and in the broadcasting industry.

Reasonably priced, too. Should be 70-80 quid for you in the UK.

Many good brands out there. However, as I rule I would avoid consumer headphones, regardless of price, as they're designed to colour sound. You need monitoring headphones.

#684067 - 08/27/07 06:53 PM Re: best earphones/headphones ??
Eternal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Posts: 80,372
I second the Sony MDR-7506 recommendation, for those who haven't made their decision yet. They're about $90 on Amazon.

#684068 - 08/27/07 07:07 PM Re: best earphones/headphones ??
paul milando Offline

Loc: westfield Indiana
I trust the sound of my Sony MDR-7506 earphones.

#684069 - 08/27/07 10:06 PM Re: best earphones/headphones ??
Eternal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Posts: 80,372

#684070 - 08/28/07 01:29 AM Re: best earphones/headphones ??
terminaldegree Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: western Wisconsin
I own the Sony 7506, Grado SR60, and Shure E3c, and use them fairly often.

My preference is:

#1 Grado - SO very pleasant sounding. comfortable enough, but open design "leaks" sound into the room.
#2 Sony - very accurate, sounds like you're listening to music under a microscope [not always in a good way]. comfortable, closed design, somewhat noise isolating
#3 Shure - very flat response but lacking in bass region, completely noise isolating, in-ear design is uncomfortable for longer periods of listening, but fine for half hour exercise sessions.

Like with pianos, it can be difficult to try what you're interested in back-to-back in one store to make a fair comparison. Sorry I have no experience with the current Senns or AKG for comparison's sake. Of the three I own, based on sound quality alone, I would choose the Grados over the rest for general purpose use (easily). Don't get me wrong, the Sonys are nice-- just different sounding... and easier to find.
Casio px-200, Bechstein A190 #192939 @ home
Steinway A #585209, B #416809 @ work
Schimmel 130T #339100, on loan

#684071 - 08/28/07 03:46 AM Re: best earphones/headphones ??
krypt0 Offline

For an excellent, full sized, circumaural set of cans, I recommend the Sennheiser HD580. The HD580 isn't made anymore, but you can still find them new and used on eBay. The HD580 is a legendary headphone among audiophiles and for very good reasons - they sound great, they're comfortable, and they're relatively easy to drive (i.e. you won't need a headphone amp in most cases - although they'll sound even better when driven by a good headamp). The newer HD600 would also be a good choice, but the HD580 is significantly cheaper (assuming you can find a pair) and it will sound almost as good because the HD580 and HD600 use the same drivers.

Edit: And just in case you haven't found them yet, I recommend the forums over at Head-fi.org for a wealth of information on everything and anything related to headphones --> http://www.head-fi.org

#684072 - 08/28/07 06:48 AM Re: best earphones/headphones ??
Thaum Offline

Thanks everyone,

I never realised there was so much to know about headphones!

I've opted for an open backed set (so far, I have found circumaural a little uncomfortable).

I'll see/hear what the Sennheiser HD 595 from Amazon sound like. If they are not up to the job, I can send them back and try something else.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

#684073 - 11/14/07 07:56 AM Re: best earphones/headphones ??
Amant Offline

Loc: Southwest
Love my QuietComfort 3 Acoustic Noise Cancelling headphones . Very robust and multifunctional, (especially for travel). Pricey but in the long run well worth it.

#684074 - 11/14/07 08:45 AM Re: best earphones/headphones ??
Kazukisan Offline

Loc: USA - Ohio
I have a pair of S-Logics hfi-700. These headphones instaid of pouring the sound directly into your ear, the speakers bounce the sound of your outer ear so you get the effect of hearing as if you were listening from a speaker in the room without the headphones. (Nature Surround Sound) is what they call it. This also allows them to turn the power down on these things so they don't blow your ear drums out, but you still get a good clear loud sound, so the claim it reduces radiation too, with safer hearing. Frequency range is 10 - 25.000 Hz, Sound pressure level is 96 db, Impendance is 75 ohm, Cord length is about 3 m, I paid 160 for mine brand new at a local store, but I think they go for about 240$ online. They sound really nice, and they cover the full ear and you don't get headphone ear. I'd probably check others out too before you go for this one, Im really not sure if they are worth the price because i never tried any of the other ones.

#684075 - 11/14/07 09:29 AM Re: best earphones/headphones ??
Amant Offline

Loc: Southwest
 Quote:
Originally posted by Kazukisan:
I have a pair of S-Logics hfi-700.... [/b]
The Ultrasone HFI-700 are great! Went with the Bose due to compactness but the HFI-700 has a better sound and may be a better choice if travel is not an issue. Bose are noise cancelling, HFI 700 aren't.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
65 registered (ando, AndrewJCW, BarryDMD, Atrys, AndyG123, 15 invisible), 1230 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75522 Members
42 Forums
156178 Topics
2293516 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Which Would you Choose?
by Semolina Pilchard
Today at 04:32 AM
Advice for learning composition and arrangement
by ttttcrngyblflpp
Today at 03:18 AM
Broadway medley
by cheni
Today at 02:10 AM
I'm Back!!
by warlock214
Today at 12:52 AM
Ex-Veteran wants to return, is it possible ?
by Spektre
Today at 12:45 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission