Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#673283 - 11/10/08 12:19 PM Help! Old Technics Digital Piano won't turn on
mclemens68 Offline

Hi folks,

Hoping there's someone out there who can help me. I've got a 14 year old Technics digital piano that I bought back in 1994 for around $2500. The model number is SX-PX106, which is very similar to the PX103 and PX107 models.

Has worked great up until a few nights ago when pushing the power button wouldn't turn the piano on. There's a small red power LED on the face of the piano that does light up, but all the led indicators, metronome, etc on the top of the piano don't light, and no sound out of the speakers when pressing the keys.

Tried feeding audio into the line in jack on the piano to see if I could get sounds out of the speakers, but no dice. I can very faintly hear the external audio through headphones if plugged into either the line out or headphone jacks.

Definitely seems like something inside the piano has blown, but I'm hoping is something simple like a power supply that I can replace myself if I can isolate the problem (I work in the electronics industry so have some debug & electronic repair skill).

The key question is where to start to isolate the problem. Don't want to just start taking the piano apart without some guidance.

I know Technics (owned by Panasonic) got out of the DP market a few years back, and calls to Panasonic service & parts centers for some leads have been a dead end.

A google search has turned up a couple potential leads, the first is a potential source for the service manual . Have a question in to him to ask how big the manual is and if has detailed troubleshooting and schematics, but has anyone ever seen a service manual for Technics pianos that can comment?

The second lead is a guy in the UK that fixes old digital pianos. Only problem is he's in the UK and I'm north of Chicago, so not sure if would work to actually send him a problem board, but maybe I can ring him up to get some help if no other options.

Appreciate any[/b] other leads if anyone out there knows these pianos or knows a good source for parts, service manuals, or someone in the states who actually still services these.

Thanks,

Matt

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#673284 - 11/10/08 05:03 PM Re: Help! Old Technics Digital Piano won't turn on
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
any technician who are familiar with circuit boards and has a voltage meter at hand would be able to help you to trace where the electronic current stops on your DP, such as some radio/TV or even PC repair guys. it sounds like some electronic component just stoped working. if such a component is replaced, then things will start working. if you say power signal light is still on, then something must be wrong from there on its wire path.

i'm just guessing, and know nothing about Technics.

#673285 - 12/09/08 02:42 PM Re: Help! Old Technics Digital Piano won't turn on
mclemens68 Offline

Just an update on this,

I was able to locate the service manual, which has the schematics. I did find one problem in that off of the main power rectifier there are 2 voltage regulators, a +15v and a -15v. On my piano the +15v supply was not working, where the -15v supply was. The -15v supply goes to the LED on the front, which is why that still lights up. I was able to track down the +15v issue to a bad resistor at the input of the 15v regulator. Replaced this and now the 15v supply works, but still nothing from the rest of the piano (no lights, sound, etc...). Have verified that the 5v supply that powers all the digital logic on the Main and Control panel boards is there. Hoping these didn't get fried beyond repair when whatever took out the +15v supply occurred. Haven't gone further in the debug as had to move onto other things, but will probably get back to it in a couple weeks.

#673286 - 12/13/08 03:58 PM Re: Help! Old Technics Digital Piano won't turn on
Marty Flinn Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Call a couple of the larger sellers of new digital pianos in your area and ask for a technician reference.

#2141597 - 08/30/13 11:18 PM Re: Help! Old Technics Digital Piano won't turn on [Re: mclemens68]
childressKlein Offline

Five years on, could you please report what - if anything - you did to have the 106 work again? I am having the exact same problem (also purchased it in '94). Funny, I always thought the first problem would be a mechanical issue... Thank you.

#2141639 - 08/31/13 01:51 AM Re: Help! Old Technics Digital Piano won't turn on [Re: mclemens68]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
You'll not get an answer. The OP posted twice in this thread. Soon after he posted one final time in the prices-paid thread, saying he'd bought a new P155 piano. He never posted again. His broken Technics piano is probably landfill.

#2141645 - 08/31/13 02:21 AM Re: Help! Old Technics Digital Piano won't turn on [Re: mclemens68]
LesCharles73 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Denton Texas
Realistically, it's probably the power switch or power supply unit. The best way to find out is to take a multimeter and find out where the power stops. If the unit has a fuse, that would be something to check as well.

#2141766 - 08/31/13 11:14 AM Re: Help! Old Technics Digital Piano won't turn on [Re: LesCharles73]
childressKlein Offline

Thanks macmacmac and LesCharles73 for your timely replies; sorry to hear the OP has left the forum. I used a DMM to check the fuse, which registers zero ohms (meaning OK, I understand). The red LED power and "touch sensitivity" normal and "Piano Grand" LEDs do light up. On occasion, the metronome number display also lights as either 40 or just dashes. It follows no pattern - sometimes they come on, sometimes they do no. The constant is that there is never any sound, except for one brief middle A that sounded just once. A visual inspection shows nothing discolored, mishapen, etc. (of course that doesn't necessarily mean everything is OK; obviously something's not). Would the above description still be consistent with a bad power unit? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

#2141883 - 08/31/13 04:20 PM Re: Help! Old Technics Digital Piano won't turn on [Re: mclemens68]
LesCharles73 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Denton Texas
It could still be a bad PSU. Under or partial voltage can cause all kinds of weird things to happen. It would be nice to have some schematics or a service manual so you can confirm the voltage output of each transformer tap, but I don't know where in the world you could find one.

Another potential cause given your instrument's age would be leaky capacitors. They go bad with age and while they usually begin bulging and/or leaking, this isn't always apparent through visual inspection. Again, they can cause funky issues that may cause the gear to be "mostly dead" while still showing some signs of life. Caps are very cheap, but you'd need to be comfortable with soldering or know someone who is. To save money, you could just take the PCBs to an electronics repair facility. That way they don't charge as much in labor for taking the whole keyboard apart themselves.

I would have suspected the amp module/tone generator as well, but it sounds like the issue is somewhere else since you mentioned that the lights/indicators don't always behave correctly. It could be a processor issue in which case the keyboard is pretty much a goner, but my money is on the PSU or capacitors.

Edited by LesCharles73 (09/01/13 12:18 AM)

#2141998 - 08/31/13 10:19 PM Re: Help! Old Technics Digital Piano won't turn on [Re: LesCharles73]
childressKlein Offline

Thanks for this info. I trolled the web and found this http://music-electronics-forum.com/t31591/ where a poster back in 12/2012 describes pretty much the same problem I'm having. The initial transformer appears to be putting out about 20V, which according to the discussion in the other forum is normal. I am in Atlanta and found a shop that does electronic instrument repairs, so I will call them after Labor day and probably bite the bullet, at $80/hr... one last thing I may do is check those capacitors, which may require removing the amp board, since the Caps are mounted flush against the board, so I have no direct access to their terminals.
One last thing: on the main (green) board, there's an inductor (labeled 101) that has what looks like white candle wax next to it. A web search suggests this might be rosin from the original soldering. Doesn't look pretty, and it may have absolutely nothing to do with my problem, since I understand it's an insulator, but wanted to mention it anyway. Thanks.

#2142979 - 09/02/13 05:41 PM Re: Help! Old Technics Digital Piano won't turn on [Re: mclemens68]
childressKlein Offline

Regarding my last comment on the white wax-like substance around a small inductor, a neighbor thinks it's insulation that's supposed to be there (makes sense due to the proximity to bare leads), so I will have to seek professional help. If it's $200-300 for a guaranteed job, I will accept, but anything more will probably put me in the market for something new... Thanks all.

#2161928 - 10/04/13 11:07 PM Re: Help! Old Technics Digital Piano won't turn on [Re: childressKlein]
childressKlein Offline

Update:
Decided against spending $259 on a 19 y.o. piano and after seeing the improvements made since 1994, I purchased a Kawai CN34 today. I look forward to familiarizing myself with it over the next week or so, but already, I'm thinking that having my old Technics die is turning out to be a blessing in disguise, since the Kawai sounds and feels really good.

#2161965 - 10/05/13 01:57 AM Re: Help! Old Technics Digital Piano won't turn on [Re: childressKlein]
iceporky Offline

Loc: Singapore
Congrats on your CN34 purchase! I think you're in for a treat. :-)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
164 registered (accordeur, Almaviva, Abby Pianoman, 36251, 45 invisible), 1893 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75896 Members
42 Forums
156839 Topics
2304534 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Speaker/monitor quieries
by Enthusiast
08/21/14 04:06 PM
Rubinstein or horowitz couldn't play op 10 no 1?
by rov
08/21/14 04:05 PM
For Sale: PE-2 PIANO PEDAL EXTENDER
by TakomaRose
08/21/14 02:04 PM
How is this possible?
by kaanguner
08/21/14 02:03 PM
Questions About Piano Magic for Sheet Music Readers
by newbert
08/21/14 01:51 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission