Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#684664 - 01/20/09 11:59 AM Yamaha CLP-265GP vs Roland RG-1
jameskey Offline

Loc: United States
I like the sound of both Roland and the Yamaha pianos, so I have narrowed down my search to the RG-1 and the CLP-265GP. The models above(CLP-295GP and the RG-3) seem wonderful, but are out of my price range. And comments on these pianos would be great. Thanks

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#684665 - 01/20/09 12:24 PM Re: Yamaha CLP-265GP vs Roland RG-1
Horwinkle Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The CLP-265GP is mostly equivalent to the CLP-230, but with a more powerful amplifier (and the "GP" cabinet, of course).

That puts it near the bottom of the Clavinova line (and the bottom of the **previous** generation at that).

Are you sure you want the GP look? The CLP-240/270/280, or the newer CLP-330/340/370/380 are better pianos.

There's some information here:
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/6/4908.html
Note that the thread is a year old, so the price information found there is out of date ... I think $4000 is way too high for the CLP265GP.

#684666 - 01/20/09 02:21 PM Re: Yamaha CLP-265GP vs Roland RG-1
bobbo Offline

RG1 is HP207 in a baby grand cabinet. Sounds very nice and good keyboard.

But...

I find the 265GP looks far nicer and more like a real piano than the RG1 finish. RG1 looks like it comes from IKEA.

#684667 - 01/20/09 02:25 PM Re: Yamaha CLP-265GP vs Roland RG-1
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
i don't think CLP265GP worth trouble, since its specs are toward the low end side. if you like GP look, consider either CLP295GP or the new CVP409GP.

#684668 - 01/20/09 03:53 PM Re: Yamaha CLP-265GP vs Roland RG-1
stringless Offline

Loc: Idiocracy, USA
I like the RG1, as I really do like the traditional piano -- horizontal, not upright.

I played it a few months ago, right after it got to my dealer.

But, comparing function to function and keeping it in the family, the HP207 would be the winner. The RG1 would be a luxury.

As for the finish, I'm not sure comparing it to flatpack (ikea) furniture is quite correct.. but it is most definitely not the finish you'd find on a real grand piano, or even on the truly hi-end Roland grands.

The finish on the RG-1 I saw is satin black, and it was very elegant. Overall it is something I would have for a piano... if I had that kind of cash to burn. I'm sure a lot of you are wanting glossy black, but I'm not sure that'd look good on a piano so unconventional as the RG1. I really do think satin's the way to go on digitals.

The action is PHAII with fake ivory keytops, the speakers are on the "soundboard" facing up into the lid, which can be opened and adjusted, and would serve the same purpose as on a real piano -- to change how the sound is projected towards the audience.

Put another way, if I had this kind of cash to burn with no regrets, and I had to choose between the 207 and the RG1, I'd go RG1. But if $ is a factor, the 207 is a runaway value leader.

Now i'll just mosey over to my very entry level 201 and try to forget how nice that 207/RG1 ivory keyboard feels \:D

A hammered piano, minus the strings. Brilliant!

#684669 - 01/24/09 05:50 AM Re: Yamaha CLP-265GP vs Roland RG-1
bobbo Offline

If you are going for performance and sound quality. RG1 wins hands down, the specs on the 265 are not as good and the RG has a superior keyboard.

If you are going for looks, 265 wins by a mile, I don't like the look of the RG1 that much (I've seen it displayed right next to the considerably more expensive RG3 and RG7). RG1 has this matt, rough satin finish that feels like a kitchen worktop and the build quality doesn't feel piano like. Overall it looks like a "barebones and down to basics" designed grand.

To correct stringless, the main speakers are actually facing downwards towards the floor and the tweeters face up from the soundboard.

Otherwise I agree with stringless, despite my complaints of the RG1 cosmetics, RG1 is still nicer looking than the HP207. Both are better than the 265 for performance, sound and keyboard feel.

#684670 - 01/25/09 01:44 PM Re: Yamaha CLP-265GP vs Roland RG-1
stringless Offline

Loc: Idiocracy, USA
It\'s more than just tweeters on the soundboard.

Another look at the larger speaker on top.

It also has speakers facing down, as you say.

But look just left of the music rest, through the gap the lid forms against the rest of the piano -- you can see a large speaker there. My memory says about 6 inches, the spec sheet says 20cm (almost 8 inches.)

So really, it has speakers everywhere. The spec sheet says 20cm X 2, and 5cm x 2. As the photos above show, a 20 cm (not quite 8 inches) and a 5cm sit on top.

(well, you can't see the 5cm in the pix above, but you can in just about every single roland promo shot.. way to *not* highlight the features of your products, Roland.. The little speaker is next to the prop rod hinge.)

I don't mean to argue, it's simply that I've spent some time ogling in the metal, and playing it. I want it but finances and level of playing skill says "not yet."

And besides, in these pics you get to see more of it, pictures really don't do this thing justice.

(Pix linked from a 3-rd party, obviously a dealership of some kind, but I can't read a word of it.)

A hammered piano, minus the strings. Brilliant!

#684671 - 01/28/09 05:28 PM Re: Yamaha CLP-265GP vs Roland RG-1
Marty Flinn Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Specs never tell the tale entirely. Some systems opperate more effeciently. You've got to listen carefully to the tone and feel the touch yourself. Both are good instruments and have dedicated followings.

#684672 - 01/28/09 05:33 PM Re: Yamaha CLP-265GP vs Roland RG-1
cthauber Offline

Loc: SK, Canada
I have no experience with the Roland, but we got our CLP-265GP in mid December. Granted, it is considered 'entry level', as it is basically the CLP-230 in diguise.
Yes, a CLP-295GP would have been nice, but for an additional $3K...the 265 is more than enough for our needs for several years to come.

Courtesy, much like sense, is becomming less 'common' by the day...

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
> Robin Spielberg Playing in Maine! <
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
156 registered (Aibohphobia, 36251, acortot, 45 invisible), 1905 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75479 Members
42 Forums
156064 Topics
2291679 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Please Help!!
by OliviaWalter
07/22/14 01:39 PM
Performing Chopin's preludes
by JoelW
07/22/14 01:31 PM
Stephen Hough - Advice for talented piano students
by fnork
07/22/14 12:58 PM
Getting started with MIDI: One question.
by 90SITA
07/22/14 12:46 PM
Remembering what to play
by kipale
07/22/14 11:33 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission