Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1528759 - 10/05/10 03:55 PM Questions about playing for weddings
Redhead1 Offline

[I'm never sure if "weddings" goes best here or in the non-classical forum, but I'll try here ...]

I am involved in a rather heated discussion on another piano list, and I was curious to get some additional opinions.

1) When you play for a ceremony and/or reception, do you typically MEET with the bride one-on-one somewhere weeks before to discuss the music?
Should a wedding musician be EXPECTED to do that? Are they providing poor customer service and/or being rude if they only discuss the music over phone and e-mail?

2) When you play for a ceremony, do you always attend the rehearsal? Never attend it? Only attend if they really want you to, but then charge extra?

3) When asked to play for a wedding (ceremony and/or reception), how much new music do you consider reasonable to learn?
The person in question was given a list of 40 song requests, most of which she did not know. What should be the expectation here? Should the pianist learn 30 new songs for this one event? Five new songs? Charge an extra fee for any number over ten?? Something else?

Thank you!
Redhead

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1528824 - 10/05/10 05:19 PM Re: Questions about playing for weddings [Re: Redhead1]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
i will meet with a bride for the ceremony selection. I prefer email and phone, but brides are generally high maintenance. When they ask me my fee i tell them blah blah blah for the ceremony, blah blah for rehearsal time (including the rehearsal the nite before) and blah blah blah for high maintenance. I generally don't attend the rehearsal but I play at a church where everything is pretty much the same all the time. I explain they are paying for my time... and I let them know how they can be economical. I say this nicely and they know they are expected to pay before the service.

If someone calls me constantly and changes music and I add another 50 or 100 on. (only have done that twice).

It would be difficult to learn 30 songs for a reception.. unless you can just sight read.

It's very normal to invest a lot of time in the 'beginning of one's career' and not realize much profit for time spent.

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#1528857 - 10/05/10 05:52 PM Re: Questions about playing for weddings [Re: Redhead1]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
If you hire me for your wedding, then, by all means, I will be present at the rehearsal. I can't imagine NOT being there and then having a curve thrown my way come "show time." I charge one flat fee for both. If you want me for the reception, then that's another fee altogether. If I have to buy the music for those 30 to 40 pieces, then there will DEFINITELY be extra money involved. I can't imagine having much trouble learning them, but there's my time tracking the music down and the cost for the sheet music not to mention the time away from lessons and my own practice to become familiar with the pieces. As for a physical meeting with the bride (or whomever) to go over music...that's really not necessary. The phone or email works fine (and honestly I prefer email).

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1528878 - 10/05/10 06:23 PM Re: Questions about playing for weddings [Re: Redhead1]
Jonathan Baker Offline

Loc: New York City!
I seldom play weddings now - maybe once or twice a year during the summer at the United Nations Chapel. I have played around 200 weddings over the years I suppose. Full-time organists have played far more than that, of course.

Whether to attend a rehearsal, for me, is entirely dependent on the order of the service. If it is a straight down the aisle and back again service, with maybe a solo singer somewhere during the service, that does not require a special rehearsal. In that case I will rehearse with the singer 45-minutes before the service is to begin to go over their piece. That always seems sufficient.

The few times in the past years that I have played rehearsals I require at least 50% the cost of the wedding added to the total fee.

Speaking of the U.N. Chapel again - I am very glad I attended a rehearsal for a certain wedding because neither the guest minister or the engaged couple or their families had the faintest clue how to proceed! I constructed the ceremony from start to finish on the spot, and given their flamboyant temperaments (not bad tempered, just extravagantly emotional) that was quite a vigorous workout!

I should have doubled my fee since I made that huge wedding function. They were a really amazing group of people, so I suppose I was paid back with the Fellini-like theatricality of it all!

#1535417 - 10/14/10 02:04 PM Re: Questions : I know NYC is expensive, but. . . [Re: Jonathan Baker]
elecmuse3 Offline

Loc: Cincinnati
I couldn't resist adapting this:

I require at least 50% the cost of the wedding added

So for a wedding that is costing the participants $40,000 you add $20,000?

#1535426 - 10/14/10 02:27 PM Re: Questions : I know NYC is expensive, but. . . [Re: elecmuse3]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: elecmuse3
I couldn't resist adapting this:

I require at least 50% the cost of the wedding added

So for a wedding that is costing the participants $40,000 you add $20,000?

Haha, I read it that way too, at first! smile

Quote:
1) When you play for a ceremony and/or reception, do you typically MEET with the bride one-on-one somewhere weeks before to discuss the music?
Should a wedding musician be EXPECTED to do that? Are they providing poor customer service and/or being rude if they only discuss the music over phone and e-mail?

I do not usually meet. We talk over the phone or via email. Brides are busy too, and they usually appreciate not having to meet with yet another person for the wedding. If that is the expectation and they can come to my home or studio, then that is fine - I'd keep the meeting as short as possible.

Quote:
2) When you play for a ceremony, do you always attend the rehearsal? Never attend it? Only attend if they really want you to, but then charge extra?

For me, I will charge a flat fee for the wedding, plus additional money for each rehearsal I have to do with other musicians hired by the bride. Any special instructions I should know about I ask the bride to have the pastor call me.

Quote:
3) When asked to play for a wedding (ceremony and/or reception), how much new music do you consider reasonable to learn?
The person in question was given a list of 40 song requests, most of which she did not know. What should be the expectation here? Should the pianist learn 30 new songs for this one event? Five new songs? Charge an extra fee for any number over ten?? Something else?

Usually the bride has like one or two pieces they want me to play, and they have no idea about the rest. Most of them don't even have any requests. If I encountered a bride who gave me 30 pieces to play, I would have to see if they are sight-readable. Still, 30 new pieces is a lot. I don't think I've ever played 30 pieces for a wedding. Is this for a reception? I guess if I were the performer I'd charge an extra amount - whatever price I felt justified learning 30 new pieces. It doesn't come up very often, so no need to have a set "policy" about it. Determine your time spent on it vs. the time you'd take to polish up pieces you already knew.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1536129 - 10/15/10 04:21 PM Re: Questions about playing for weddings [Re: Redhead1]
riley80 Offline

Loc: Florida
My, but weddings are so complicated now. My organist came to the rehearsal, I KNEW I wanted to come in to the Voluntary and out to the Mendelssohn. And that was it. I paid her 25 bucks and that was that.

I WOULD advise that you get the agreement, price, expected music etc in writing. No nasty surprises.

A friend got married and his pianist played from a fake book for two hours. I wondered what he'd have charged a regular customer. (He was the groom's best man, godfather and ALSO stood up for the groom's parents 50 years prior.) I plunked out a 'duet' with him, just repeating the melody two octaves up and got a round of applause. Sheesh, I guess they thought this was a real feat - ha. So few people play today, maybe it was.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
85 registered (accordeur, AndrewJCW, barbaram, 36251, Allard, 27 invisible), 1364 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75553 Members
42 Forums
156220 Topics
2294282 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Best Digital Piano for Touch
by JoeCPiano
07/28/14 04:50 AM
Happy Birthday Cinnamonbear!
by Kuanpiano
07/27/14 11:17 PM
Finger "Tapes": Purpose?
by CleverName
07/27/14 10:56 PM
Accessories needed for grand pianos.
by Stevio55
07/27/14 08:31 PM
Schulze Pollmann 113e Moderno detail information?
by pdxfz1
07/27/14 07:12 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission