Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
102 registered (Amosdoll, accordeur, AndrewJCW, Alux, alwatson, 36251, 25 invisible), 1363 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 296 of 296 < 1 2 294 295 296
Topic Options
#2547148 - 06/07/16 06:20 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: sinophilia]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By sinophilia
Traumerai looks very challenging. It's so beautiful that it may be worth the effort, but it's good that your teacher understands how you feel. Have you already played other pieces from Kinderszenen? The first one and the last one are much more feasible, and there are others easier than Traumerai in that collection.

No, I haven't played any of those. I have played some from OP 68, but not this group. Thanks for the information - I will look at the others and see about trying them!

XVIII-XLII
Follow your teacher's instructions and practice wisely/much, and you'll soon wonder how you ever found it hard. BobPickle
Performance anxiety: make it part of your daily routine and deal with it...Cope! zrtf90

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2547161 - 06/07/16 07:53 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
f3r Online   content

Träumerei was listed as grade 7 ABRSM. It is more difficult than what it sounds like. All the Schumann's pieces (from Op.68, I never took Op.15) I worked on have been like this.

Träumerei is a piece I'm very interested in but after spending so much time on another grade 7 piece (actually not sure about this), Bach Invention 12, I decided I'm not ready for it. That Invention is still bad, it is too much of a stretch.

Edited by f3r (06/07/16 08:00 AM)

Kawai CA97 | YouTube Channel

Working on:
Bach Invention 12 & 13
Field Nocturne No.1 in Eb Major

#2547725 - 06/08/16 05:38 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Grade 7 eh Mark? Well, that sounds way too advanced for me smile

My teacher was super understanding and we will work on it, just not over the summer when I'm doing it on my own.

We picked out some other pieces and he's going to bring me some pieces to look at next week (some Mozart I think).

I played my whole sonatina for him at the lesson and while I flubbed a bit, it wasn't too shabby. It was definitely a "performance" not a simple presentation of weekly work. He said my 3rd movement was " a different planet from what it had been the week before". That was really gratifying.

I was telling my husband about some of my progress and the comments I was getting and he asked if my teacher gave out gold stars. I said , well some teachers do , but mine doesn't. And my sweetie said he would get me some gold star stickers smile

XVIII-XLII
Follow your teacher's instructions and practice wisely/much, and you'll soon wonder how you ever found it hard. BobPickle
Performance anxiety: make it part of your daily routine and deal with it...Cope! zrtf90

#2547836 - 06/09/16 05:41 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
barbaram Online   content

500 Post Club Member

Casinitaly, often the same piece can be set at different grades but the performance expectations will vary.
Seems like Traumerei might be a case in point?
This ABRSM discussion thread suggests more like Grade 5 in terms of difficulty playing the piece:
http://www.abrsm.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=43936

#2547840 - 06/09/16 06:07 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: barbaram]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By barbaram
Casinitaly, often the same piece can be set at different grades but the performance expectations will vary.
Seems like Traumerei might be a case in point?
This ABRSM discussion thread suggests more like Grade 5 in terms of difficulty playing the piece:
http://www.abrsm.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=43936

I liked the comment that "trying to learn it at grade 5 level is nothing short of torture"...... that hit a little too close to home for comfort! lol.

XVIII-XLII

#2547862 - 06/09/16 07:10 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]

500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By casinitaly

I liked the comment that "trying to learn it at grade 5 level is nothing short of torture"...... that hit a little too close to home for comfort! lol.

LOL, good point smile

#2547877 - 06/09/16 08:03 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Originally Posted By casinitaly
He said my 3rd movement was " a different planet from what it had been the week before". That was really gratifying.

Oh yeah, that is definitely a gold star comment. It is so great to
see your hard work paying off.... Congrats!

My Foolish Heart-Young

Estonia L190 #7284

#2549834 - 06/16/16 06:24 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]

500 Post Club Member

Well my AOTW is music related if not piano related - I've signed up for a singing course over the summer. My piano teacher isn't teaching over the summer, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to try something different!

#2549855 - 06/16/16 09:12 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: malkin]
DrJeff Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Hi,

When I see these posts where we are our own worst critic, I keep thinking of the article I saw at the music humor site "Submediant" -

"Pianist Misses Notes in Recital, Says Pianist"

http://www.submediant.com/2016/05/02/pianist-misses-notes-recital-says-pianist/

Jeff

#2549953 - 06/16/16 06:49 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: DrJeff]
JimF Offline
2000 Post Club Member

grin Thanks, Jeff. Got a good chuckle out of that article.... fun site bookmarked. grin
My Foolish Heart-Young

Estonia L190 #7284

#2550181 - 06/17/16 06:19 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Just read the article Jeff - good one!

I had a most satisfying lesson today. (Yes, second lesson this week as it was a make-up for one my teacher had to miss in April... he was conducting in Vienna smile )

So my objective from my previous lesson was to make my third movement "humorous" and have it "dance"...right. In the first movement I had to fix a wobbly ornament, and straighten up some dynamics that I'd missed , and in the second movement I had to maintain my tempo for the last 8 bars, working with metronome to keep me on track.

Given that I only had 2 days I was feeling pretty good about the tweaking I'd done - and YIPPEE - so was my teacher. I've had three consecutive weeks of "very good" "that's better".

I also played my pieces at the venue where we're having the European Piano Party in a couple of weeks. It is in a lounge in a hotel and there were all sorts of people wandering about so it was good for playing in public, with a "public" that wasn't really paying much attention to me.

All in all, a very satisfactory piano day.

XVIII-XLII

#2550191 - 06/17/16 07:26 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
hinderbinder Offline

Loc: WI
Oh my goodness, that article was beyond 'good' for me.... what a brilliant mind! How refreshing to read something online that was so absolutely personally meaningful to me, an aspiring pianist, a struggling pianist, who knows more than she can play. (at the moment)
"I like nonsense. Wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities." -- Dr. Seuss

#2550271 - 06/18/16 08:05 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
cathryn999 Offline

Loc: Australia
I had a day off! And I played piano all day! And I discovered a whole bunch of new pieces I want to learn, including Schubert Musical Moments, and Beethoven Opus 79, been bashing it out a bit for the past couple of hours.

Love the article of the pianist being critical of the pianist: we are our own worst critics.

I hope you're all having a great day!
:-)

#2550448 - 06/19/16 06:15 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: barbaram]
Albunea Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Spain
Originally Posted By barbaram
Well my AOTW is music related if not piano related - I've signed up for a singing course over the summer. My piano teacher isn't teaching over the summer, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to try something different!

There is nothing like that in my city. I'd join one if there were. You'll have to tell us what you've learnt when you are back! laugh smile Have fun. smile

My personal AOTW like two weeks ago was when my parents and niece came to spend one day home with me. Last Christmas I bought my 11-year-old niece a keyboard, mostly as a toy since I am not paying classes for her or buying books. So, with some sorrow, I gave her my first part of Thompson's Grade 1. She played some piece a bit and then I did.

My mother then said "Why does it sound better when you play it?"

LOL it was clear my mother expected my niece to play better just because she is a child and the comment showed how little faith she had in my learning at my age. laugh Anyhow, that's the only time anybody has been here with me at the piano and has certified me a Grade "above clueless"...not yet Grade 1. laugh

Edited by Albunea (06/19/16 06:18 AM)

#2550455 - 06/19/16 06:56 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
SadieLady Offline

Loc: South Carolina
I had my first piano lesson in twenty years! My teacher has been playing since she was 4 and teaches at two local colleges. She's very enthusiastic about music and piano. We have a lot of common interests and I'm going to enjoy working with her.

She had me play several songs that I've worked on during the last three months from the method books. I only have two songs left in the Bastien beginner adult book, so she had me start on one of them, Brahm's Hungarian Dance No 5 and an easy throw away piece from another book I had. I'm not sure we're going to continue with the last few pieces I have in the Alfred book. Instead she added Bach's Minuet in G and gave me her copy of Snell's Level 5 Repertoire book. She told me to pick something I liked from it. I'm going to work on Streabbog's The Orphan.

It's been a challenging week, since all the music was new to me. I think I've accomplished quite a bit. I never would have picked the Bach piece if I was working on my own. I would have thought I wasn't ready for it. I've been pleasantly surprised as I've practiced this week. I guess one of the many benefits of having a teacher is their experience in having a better idea about what you can handle than what you think yourself.

#2550458 - 06/19/16 07:01 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Barbaram - I'd love to be doing voice lessons! That's so neat! Good for you

Albunea - nice to get some recognition finally!

SadieLady -welcome ! Which Minuet in G are you doing? The one that starts with arpeggios in the right hand or the one that starts with the block chords in the left?

(I've been working on both recently and they're so much fun to play!)

My ATOW was to have had a series of "very good" "good improvement" comments from my teacher. I had been working at improving the dynamics in my pieces and I knew they were better, but it is so lovely to hear him say it! He's very cautious with giving praise, so when I get it, I know its worth!

Edited by casinitaly (06/19/16 07:03 AM)
Edit Reason: forgot to add my own ATOW

XVIII-XLII

#2550898 - 06/20/16 08:59 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
SadieLady Offline

Loc: South Carolina
casinitaly, It's In G major, only two chords one at the beginning and one at the end. I had my second lesson today. She said I was coming along fine with it and the others, but gave me some tips for improvement.

#2550963 - 06/21/16 03:28 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: SadieLady]
SwissMS Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
I have been away from the forum for a few weeks. We drove from Switzerland to southern Spain the last week of May, and have decided to relocate here. So I am now "SwissMS in Spain"! We are taking Spanish lessons four hours a day, but a week ago I managed to rent a digital and get back to playing. It felt so good to get my hands on the keys again! Sadly I missed the deadline for submitting to the pop recital. The good news is the three week break seemed to refresh my pieces, and I feel like they are pretty solid for the EPP. I guess I will find out in about two weeks!

#2550973 - 06/21/16 05:13 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]

500 Post Club Member

Estupendo, SwissMs! Que tengas mucha suerte con el traslado!

Well done on your Bach (and general) progress SadieLady

I went piano shopping on Friday and have more or less made my decision. It's going to be a CA67 or, just possibly, a CS8 (which is a CA67 in a nicer cabinet). I haven't actually made a purchase yet, that'll be an AOT Year when I do smile
But it was great to try out all the competing digitals in my price bracket (and a bit above and below), I'm really sure now that this is the right choice for me.

#2551020 - 06/21/16 10:02 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Albunea- maybe the youngsters learn it faster and easier, but YOU have learned to play more beautifully. And THAT is awesome! thumb

SadieLady- welcome to AOTW. Sounds like your teacher sees plenty of skills retained, if somewhat hidden, from 20 years ago. It will be fun to watch you reawakening and extending those as an adult.

Cheryl - You must be very busy with final preps for EPP... One of these years I will make it. And you played in a public hotel lobby?... now tell me you'd have done that a few years ago... Vai ragazza!

SwissMSinSpain - Lol, Good to see you back. How long before your regular piano migrates to espana?

Barbaram - wow, voice lessons and a new digital...summertime fun! Lookout cocktail circuit, Barbaram is on the way grin

We held an adult students piano soiree on Sunday. Only four of us played plus our teacher. It was held in one students' home, and the piano was the smallest grand I've ever seen.... very hard to control and almost no sustain. I revived Keith Jarrett's transcription of All in the Game, and also played an on the fly arrangement of the 60's pop song Hey There Lonely Girl straight from a fakebook.

This is the first time I've revived a former recital piece (the Jarrett from 2 years ago). It took about a month, but I felt able to work on it at a much deeper level which I found very satisfying. I'm going to do more revivals.

Lonely Girl was another self-revelation, as something seems to have "clicked" for me with leadsheets lately. Although there were some things I'd worked out in advance in the week before the event, I really did make up parts of it on the fly.

Then I shocked myself by launching into the Lizst Consolation, which I had never even been able to hack my way through at weekly lessons. She had asked me to bring the music and maybe we would each show what we're working on, but I don't think she really expected me to do it. It wasn't pretty, but I managed to get all the way through. She told me later with a big smile that the Liszt is like a shiny penny that is slowly getting revealed each week. I liked that smile
My Foolish Heart-Young

Estonia L190 #7284

#2551075 - 06/21/16 01:29 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Giacomo - congratulations on your recital! Liszt's Consolation is a really gorgeous piece! And not simple by any stretch of the imagination. Good for you!

Yes, I played in the hotel lobby... and didnt get too fussed. I was more fussed playing for my teacher today in our last lesson of the year.

We had the lesson at my house -(first time we've done that ) - and it was fun, but also odd. I got some good feedback from him and some pointers on what to expect while performing at the EPP. We also had a chat at the end, with my husband present (first time they'd met too) - and we talked about how long I'd been with him, and how long with the previous teacher.
He said that with six years experience I was at a very good level.

I felt really pleased.

XVIII-XLII

#2552004 - 06/25/16 01:33 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Ralphiano Offline

Yesterday, I had a VERY nice day.

I'm one year into self-taught piano, and, have recently undertaken the RCM Piano Odyssey series, mainly for the purpose of getting a measure of how far I have progressed. If I can play the Level 1 Repertoire and Etudes, I will content myself that I have achieved approximately Level 1 proficiency.

I am now at Study Unit 2 of Level 1, and it offers a piece called Bourree in D Minor, by Graupner. I fell in love with it the first time I heard it. So, I focused on it and have been working on it for about a week.

I've been unsatisfied with my progress, though. For several days, I have had the tempo, timing, and note correctness down, but, mine did not sound anywhere near as nice as the recorded version. They were miles apart.

I was able to identify the source of the differences. The piece makes heavy use of slurs, and, in the professionally recorded version, the slurs are clearly one of the piece's unique and attractive sounding features. In my version, the slurs were bland, and frankly, sucked big time. confused

Over the course of a couple of days, I messed around with the slurs, listening intently, and trying to analyze what the recorded artist was doing that made his/her slurs so beautiful. To my dismay, I was not finding the answer.

Then, yesterday I stumbled onto a post by NorwichTim that referenced this thread: http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1603614/After%20Alfred's%20Level%201%20-%20Am%20I%20.html
I read that thread and came to the realization that some of the technic books that are part of the many method book series might be of help to me. One of the credible posters in that thread spoke highly of the Schaum Fingerpower and Catherine Rollin, Pathways to Artistry technic books.

So, I went to a couple of my local music stores to take a look, and to see what these "technic" books are all about. I took along an unhealthy dose of pessimism, as, I had rejected technic books when I first started playing a year ago due to what I perceived to be their low level information, or, fluff.

I found the Fingerpower books first, and was not impressed, as they did not offer verbal explanation of what I considered to the be actual technique involved in executing any piano play. It contained scores that were well thought out, and clearly designed to practice and develop specific skills, such as forearm rotation, etc. But without the explanations of how to execute, the book would not be helpful to me since I don't have a teacher to provide that missing information.

At another store I found the Pathways to Artistry books. And, what a relief. Not only did it contain scores with which to practice the skills, but it also presented well written explanations of how to execute those skills in the first place. Among the skills explained in the Level 1 book was the slurs that I had been failing at for the past several days.

So, I bought the book. And, within minutes at the piano, my slurs were very noticeably closing the gap on those of the professional pianist featured on my RCM recording. By the end of the evening, my version was capturing the qualities that I had been missing, and which are the lynchpin to this lovely Bourree.

My Bouree is now sounding quite nice, yet still has room for considerable improvement. I'm excited about the prospects.

Yesterday was a very good day! smile

Edited by Ralphiano (06/25/16 01:41 PM)

Casio Privia PX-760
Pianoteq Stage
Pianist since April, 2015

#2552076 - 06/25/16 09:41 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Silver Keys Offline

Loc: Upstate N.Y.
Yesterday, I had one of the most moving piano lessons in my 3 years of piano lessons. It was my second lesson after a two-month hiatus while my teacher recovered from an illness. I played "Come Sail Away" by Styx; then "Somewhere My Love" and "Lara's Theme", both from Dr. Zhivago. The Dr. Zhivago pieces are very dear to me because they remind me of my own tragic love story, which is a lot like that of Zhinu and Niulang (Weaver-Girl and the Cowherd), from Chinese mythology.

Well, I found myself choking back tears as I struggled to get through Lara's Theme. When I finished, my teacher was simply blown away! She complemented me on the expressiveness of my playing. She went on to tell me that I have grown into a true musician, when I can make a piece my own by conveying such emotion!!
Yamaha P155

#2552300 - 06/27/16 01:11 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Isabelle1949 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New Orleans, LA
This week started off a little rocky. I wanted too get back the Chopin Etude Op. 25 No. 1. My hands were tight, middle notes were not sounding. I blocked it in chords, and played with different rhythms to try and relax when stopping. Each day I did a little, mostly focusing on a light gliding touch. Well tonight it is finally starting to work (I also think raising my seat helped a lot). I remember playing this almost 16 years ago, with fairly relaxed hands that my palms felt the white keys as I played, hands and fingers very very close to the keys. I'm really looking forward to working this in the coming weeks. Trying to get back music that I lost. Thanks for listening.

Page 296 of 296 < 1 2 294 295 296

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour - July 14, 2016!
Be sure to sign up now!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
(ad)
Pianist Magazine
Pianist Magazine - Helping you become a better player
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ads)
PD - WNG - MH
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tours
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sight reading advice
by Beans47
06/30/16 08:42 AM
Slightly OT
by PhilipInChina
06/30/16 07:51 AM
eCommerce
by daniokeeper
06/30/16 04:06 AM
Fingering for To a Wild Rose
by AprilE
06/29/16 11:20 PM
Pulling the action on a 1905 Chickering Model 116
by Jake Jackson
06/29/16 07:48 PM
Forum Stats
84,158 Registered Members
44 Forums
173,655 Topics
2,537,449 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2016 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission