Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
94 registered (AndrewJCW, anotherscott, augustm, Augustina, Al LaPorte, 23 invisible), 1232 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Page 276 of 276 < 1 2 274 275 276
Topic Options
#2444837 - 07/27/15 11:31 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Stubbie Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Midwest USA
I had a lesson yesterday (my lessons have been pretty widely spaced over the summer) and my teacher assigned me a piece from Mendelssohn's Songs Without Words and several more of them to read through. So I ordered the book and should have it in a few days. I just love getting new material--so much possibility! 3hearts

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2444845 - 07/27/15 12:03 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Palmpirate Offline

Loc: B.C.Canada
It's Beethoven's 15th sonata, opus 28, beautiful and elegant, and at first sight , not to much of a challenge.

I know I can only do very little practice in the summer - the odd 20 mins - grabbed from the day - and essential to my sanity. I didn't want to start anything too difficult that would take months of work........

I've really only look at the exposition, first 160 bars.
Lesssons , beacuse I am so limited in the work I have put into it, have been, nevertheless .extremely enlightening. My teacher really understand how to get the most out of the time even if I barely move along the pages.
Such simple things make such a difference. and only a teacher could point them out, a teacher who really knows the piece is even.
Just why in bar 7 is the fingering 12,15,32 for those those thirds (!) etc for that phrase - well if you really listen to fuddles made with other fingerlings - then Beethoven's way lets you float off the top, with that staccato lifting off the keyboard so delicately ....

As for the finger gymnastics in the section from bar 48, they don't feel natural at first but how sweet it is when it just flows!

What about bar 69 - who puts 215 on that chord....? and once I learned to really hear the difference in the sound that was produced when its done a different way - Beethoven knew what he was doing....
In that extended section 77 though 104 - come on - it looks so simple..... with the pinkie trying to hold on to the legato on top, it's a stretch and struggle, and exhausting for the hand..... lift it, let the pedal take the sound where it needs to go, and it becomes easy and more flowing, and what it is meant to be - beauttiful.....
but it took my teacher to show me the difference and for me to really listen to the way the sounds were produced.

I think Beethoven really love the keyboard and caressed those keys in a way that brought out a magical sound from the strings, the wood and the ivory.

#2445067 - 07/28/15 03:52 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Again my AOTW is to not have lost MOYD.
It has been unbearably hot for weeks, which sucks the energy right out of me.

I have been going through all my scales and arpeggios, and not much else , this past week.
I have added some new scales and am working at trying to remember hand positions for the chords so I can be fasterat finding them on lead sheets..... Something iI have recently started looking at.

#2445100 - 07/28/15 08:06 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
BrianDX Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: First Town, First State
Kind of a ^AOTW.

No practice for two weeks, no lesson for four weeks. Just when I was getting some momentum..

The real AOTW will be when I get back from vacation to see how long it takes to gets things going again.
Current: Whispers of the Wind (Faber); A Spanish Waltz (BrianDX) (OC)

#2445126 - 07/28/15 10:14 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Plowboy Offline

2000 Post Club Member

Loc: SoCal
Brian, you'll be surprised. For me, a break can be very refreshing. After a three week trip on the John Muir Trail, I was right back where I left off.

#2445135 - 07/28/15 10:37 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Plowboy]
BrianDX Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: First Town, First State
Gary, that is what I am hoping for.

Thanks smile
Current: Whispers of the Wind (Faber); A Spanish Waltz (BrianDX) (OC)

#2445159 - 07/28/15 12:03 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Palmpirate]
Ataru074 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Houston, TX
Originally Posted By Palmpirate
It's Beethoven's 15th sonata, opus 28, beautiful and elegant, and at first sight , not to much of a challenge.

I know I can only do very little practice in the summer - the odd 20 mins - grabbed from the day - and essential to my sanity. I didn't want to start anything too difficult that would take months of work........

I've really only look at the exposition, first 160 bars.
Lesssons , beacuse I am so limited in the work I have put into it, have been, nevertheless .extremely enlightening. My teacher really understand how to get the most out of the time even if I barely move along the pages.
Such simple things make such a difference. and only a teacher could point them out, a teacher who really knows the piece is even.
Just why in bar 7 is the fingering 12,15,32 for those those thirds (!) etc for that phrase - well if you really listen to fuddles made with other fingerlings - then Beethoven's way lets you float off the top, with that staccato lifting off the keyboard so delicately ....

As for the finger gymnastics in the section from bar 48, they don't feel natural at first but how sweet it is when it just flows!

What about bar 69 - who puts 215 on that chord....? and once I learned to really hear the difference in the sound that was produced when its done a different way - Beethoven knew what he was doing....
In that extended section 77 though 104 - come on - it looks so simple..... with the pinkie trying to hold on to the legato on top, it's a stretch and struggle, and exhausting for the hand..... lift it, let the pedal take the sound where it needs to go, and it becomes easy and more flowing, and what it is meant to be - beauttiful.....
but it took my teacher to show me the difference and for me to really listen to the way the sounds were produced.

I think Beethoven really love the keyboard and caressed those keys in a way that brought out a magical sound from the strings, the wood and the ivory.

That has been my "first" Beethoven sonata to complete and It's almost time for me to give it a re-lecture.
If you allow me, I have few suggestions about it.
First the pedal, never all the way down, keep it shallow and think about the orchestration to bring out the voices, think the repeated D at the beginning as a double bass short bow strokes... they are not legato, in the same way the theme has specific breaths.
the quick figurations, careful, legato going up, slightly detached going down (bar 25)... I head a lot of interpretations that do use too much pedal and too much legato in this sonata where is not indicated, especially in the development passagework between the left and right hand... where a highly mozartean detached touch is sublime, but also hard as heck.
Have fun, this sonata is a blast. as well the last few bars of the last movement... start getting these into the fingers now, by the time you'll get there you'll thank me. Seriously that finale fireworks section takes quite a bit to get comfortable under the fingers and is a good idea to start reading it slow from the beginning because overall, this sonata can be learned pretty quickly.
Beethoven: Op 2#1
Bach: English Suite G minor.
Debussy: Pour le piano

#2445163 - 07/28/15 12:10 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
debussychopin Offline

Originally Posted By casinitaly
Again my AOTW is to not have lost MOYD.

I have been going through all my scales and arpeggios, and not much else , this past week.
I have added some new scales and am working at trying to remember hand positions for the chords so I can be fasterat finding them on lead sheets..... Something iI have recently started looking at.

I should have entered MOYd as well. I have not missed piano no more than 2 or 3 days this whole year. and that was due to physical condition/sickness or just being out of town and could not be near a piano.

I have had days where I could just do scales for a 15 mins and quit for the nite. I found that doing the scales daily at least fwiw allows me to keep my dexterity and fluidity in my pieces continuously even if I dont play them daily. But on the other hand, I recall, if I work on pieces only wihtout scales or some czernny technical work, the pieces I neglect for a few days I lose my fluidity/dexterity on those. Maybe due to scales, maybe due to my maturity in piano practice. who knows. fwiw.

#2445164 - 07/28/15 12:19 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
outo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Finland
Maybe not yet much of an achievement... but I decided to take on a fugue (never learned any before neither studied the theory). And after some heavy studying I actually think I got the basic idea of it smile

I've never had such patience before, but I wrote the voices separately and have studied them before even touching the piano. There are a few tricky spots to solve still (I'll need my teacher to help), but most of the ground work is done.

Now I only have to learn to play the thing...might take me a year, but I will!

#2445179 - 07/28/15 01:16 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Palmpirate]
Exalted Wombat Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London UK
Which edition of Beethoven op 28 are you using?

#2445414 - 07/29/15 07:08 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Ataru074]
Palmpirate Offline

That has been my "first" Beethoven sonata to complete and It's almost time for me to give it a re-lecture.
If you allow me, I have few suggestions about it.

.......Oh , please do. I look forward to reading them......

First the pedal, never all the way down, keep it shallow

.... this is so important, and once I have it on my piano I really have a hard time on my teachers whose pedals are really 'loose' and it takes me a while to adjust in lessons........

and think about the orchestration to bring out the voices, think the repeated D at the beginning as a double bass short bow strokes... they are not legato,

....yes! It really makes you think about the touch, keeping it consistent was a challenge at first......

in the same way the theme has specific breaths.
the quick figurations, careful, legato going up, slightly detached going down (bar 25)...

....almost ike a sigh after such an achievement - playing the previous phrase - and heading back to play it again., because the first time just wasn't enough and to play it again is to try and recapture that beauty.....

I head a lot of interpretations that do use too much pedal and too much legato in this sonata where is not indicated, especially in the development passagework between the left and right hand... where a highly mozartean detached touch is sublime, but also hard as heck.

.......So right - it looks so simple at first glance , but it takes careful handling and interpretation.
I currently like Barenboim. He plays it quite romantically, perhaps with a bit more pedal and legato that you mention as possibly overdone. Gould is interesting and for me almost too rigorous but I do like his clarity,.....

Have fun, this sonata is a blast. as well the last few bars of the last movement... start getting these into the fingers now, by the time you'll get there you'll thank me.
Seriously that finale fireworks section takes quite a bit to get comfortable under the fingers and is a good idea to start reading it slow from the beginning

...............Thanks for the 'heads up'. I'll read ahead and certainly take my time. As a returning adult, with hindsight, I know I've butchered many a piece as a headstrong teenager. It's hard work to re-visit some of those! Too many in-grown errors to think about!......

because overall, this sonata can be learned pretty quickly.

....Ah well, it will take me a while with what time I can glean out of life, but the process is a joy and it wouldn't be the same without a few challenges...... [/quote]

......Thanks for all your input, and enjoy your Op2 No1......!

#2445418 - 07/29/15 07:20 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Exalted Wombat]
Palmpirate Offline

Originally Posted By Exalted Wombat
Which edition of Beethoven op 28 are you using?

It's the Urtext Henle Band 1,with Conrad Hansen fingering. Supposed to be authentic. I bought it in 1974 in London for 7.78 pounds sterling, to replace an edition in two volumes that was in really small print. Back then it was a lot of money and I only bought the first volume. Today I searched for a copy and it's over $100..... I wish I had bought it way back then. The first copy had been a gift to me as a 12 yr old and I should have kept it, but such is life. I found a soft back Konemann vol 3 for $15. Between the two I am only missing a few. I did get a 'student' edition on the internet of the complete works but it is too small to really read easily up on the piano music stand. I have them so I can read along which I do enjoy. As for playing - well I've got more than enough to keep me going for a few lifetimes!

#2445451 - 07/29/15 09:48 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Palmpirate]
SwissMS Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
I am progressing along with my pieces, but I have been a bit down of late because it seems that what I see the most is regression, not progress. My scales and arpeggios have been getting sloppier, and last week my teacher had me go back to a controlled slow speed to work them back up, one tick of the metronome per session. I have so many scales and arpeggios for the ABRSM Grade 6 exam (all major, minor harmonic, minor melodic, plus 6 contras, staccato scales, chroms, etc) that I am getting things confused and changing fingering without realising it. In my last lesson, my F series fell apart! So I took the scales all the way back to 50 bpm per quarter, (played in 16ths), and it seems to be working. I just have not been able to "automate" the scales well enough. I have learned that if I play only a couple of sets at a time, such as the F series and the F# series, and then come back later in the day and play another two series, it works better than doing a bunch of scales at the same time. I am less likely to confuse things that way. So my AOTW is learning to not try to do too many scales at the the same time. Once I lose focus, things get sloppy. I cannot afford to ingrain errors on these.

The other AOTW, I have been focussing this week on more efficient use of my practice time. I fall in the "playing through" trap sometimes and do not really advance a piece in a practice session. I end up wasting a lot of time. I am currently working on eight pieces simultaneously, and so I have started a spreadsheet listing the goal of each practice session for each piece for the day. I am trying to look at my practice sessions as problem solving. By having a small goal each time I work on a piece, I can end the session feeling like I accomplished something. It seems to be helping. I cleaned up a difficulty in one piece that has dogged me for weeks simply by focusing a practice session on two measures. So the achievement from this approach is I am finally able to play my Beethoven Minuet and Trio from the Sonata in Bb (one of my exam pieces) smoothly at a preliminary tempo. I am feeling like I am moving forward again!

#2445457 - 07/29/15 10:15 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: SwissMS]
Sand Tiger Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
Happy birthday CasinItaly!

I'm sure it is a festive week for you, heat or no heat.

#2445459 - 07/29/15 10:26 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Sand Tiger]
SwissMS Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Happy Birthday, CasinItaly! I hope you and Mr. CasinItaly have a fun festive day planned. Many happy returns! Enjoy your day, and know that we all appreciate all that you do for the forum!

#2445759 - 07/30/15 05:21 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Thanks for the birthday wishes, I had a fabulous day!

#2445763 - 07/30/15 05:57 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
Good job taking on a Beethoven sonata, Palmpirate. There are so many beautiful ones and all a challenge worthy of time of effort. I've gone back to #14 to see if I can master it...maybe the third or fourth try will pull it together.

My achievement however may be that I listened to one of my own playing videos from the EPP (finally). Very difficult to listen to my own recordings. There was certainly music there but also many imperfections. I didn't realize how many "stops" I really have (although my teacher has critiqued that) so it was a good experience to point my practice towards removing that.

It's been hot here but somehow Colorado hot never bothers me as much as hot with humidity. There is some advantage to living in the high desert plain. I do love summer!

Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo

#2445783 - 07/30/15 07:53 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Albunea Offline

Loc: Spain
Originally Posted By casinitaly

I am sweating while practising now. laugh

And Happy Birthday, casinitaly. smile

I am good despite the heat, because I can now play for longer. I have more little pieces that are already relatively easy for me and the challenge each new piece (in my method books) is providing seems something I can deal with.

I don't think I am improving much in scales though. It will probably take a long time to just play them fast and perfect (only do like a couple of them each day).

#2445784 - 07/30/15 07:59 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Oops, scusate ho perso la giornata Cheryl. Spero che la torta ha un sapore ancora buono!

Estonia L190 #7284

#2445817 - 07/30/15 09:35 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Happy (belated) birthday, casinitaly!

Practice like you are the worst; play like you are the best - anonymous

#2445843 - 07/30/15 11:03 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
lautreamont Offline

An encouraging week. Finally I can control my arpeggios at any speed of which I am capable when, before, the faster I went the louder my arpeggios got. I'm also making progress in double notes like in Chopin Op. 10 no 2 and Op. 25 no. 6, and Liszt Transcendental Etudes 1 (the RH counterpoint ascending after the cascading arpeggios) and 2 (for the opening trill-like double notes I would previously use both hands). For the first time, I actually feel like I'm on my way to being able to perform my dream repertoire.

Pretty much everything I've learned is by Chopin and Mozart. The problem is that my hands are not very independent--I can play arpeggios and chords with my left hand, but coordinating them together for more complex figurations is more difficult. I've been practicing a lot of Bach to rectify that. Once I learn the pieces I can easily get them up to speed, but actually learning them is the hard part, because it feels like each measure, due to the interaction of voices, is a figuration that, as a two hand unit, I've never come across before. I think I'm starting to make headway, though, because I'm beginning to see patterns more quickly when sight-reading.

#2446147 - Yesterday at 04:21 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Caro Giacomo, la torts era buonissimo, deliziosa!
Ti ringrazio per gli auguri!

Thanks Cathy!

#2446166 - Yesterday at 06:28 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
barbaram Offline

Belated happy birthday Cheryl!
Struggling to identify an AOTW, but I guess there is always something when you think about it. I'm working on my first ever piece in 5/4 time (a Brubeck nocturne). That time sig is so non-intuitive and so I really don't "feel" it the way I would with more familiar ones. Everything else about the piece is very simple, and so I was frustrated it wasn't coming together more quickly (it's a "40 piece challenge" piece and my expectation is to only spend a week or so on it).
But it is coming together now, and it's beautiful despite its simplicity, and 5/4 time, yay :-)

Page 276 of 276 < 1 2 274 275 276

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ad) Teaching Music To Children
Teaching Music to Children
(ad) Yamaha Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP4 & CP40 Stage Pianos
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
PianoDisc
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
quality digital piano
by dbelmont2
08/01/15 12:02 AM
Note with multiple beams in sheet music
by rnd34
07/31/15 11:46 PM
New midi keys for Sibelius
by Woodtrpt
07/31/15 11:38 PM
How to deal with parent during my "break"
by chasingrainbows
07/31/15 09:38 PM
How Effective is the Practice Pedal?
by Dwscamel
07/31/15 09:08 PM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
80,214 Registered Members
44 Forums
165,899 Topics
2,431,749 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission