Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
(ad)
Pianoteq
Grotrian Concert
Royal
for Pianoteq out now
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyers Guide
Who's Online
94 registered (Beakybird, Arty Movie, AZ_Astro, aomf, agraffe, 21 invisible), 1845 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 303 of 303 < 1 2 301 302 303
Topic Options
#2601574 - 01/06/17 09:13 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Silver Keys Offline

Loc: Upstate N.Y.
I played at an Open Mic for the first time last night!

OMG, was I ever nervous! My hands were absolutely trembling! I opened with "To a Wild Rose, by Edward McDowell (which I consider easy), and I got stuck about 12 bars in--something I never done before. I tried again, and again I got stuck. By then, the fight or flight instinct was screaming at me! Walk away; crash and burn, or do something... I jumped ahead, re-entered the song past the sticking point and finished it without any more errors. I started to settle down a bit in my second piece--an arrangement of Bruce Springsteen's "Tougher Than The Rest", which I was able to bludgeon my way trough, mistakes and all. Finally, I concluded on a high note with "Somewhere My Love" and Lara's Theme, (both from Dr. Zhivago, with minimal mistakes that I was able to cover.

I was really surprised at the resounding applause that I received. I confess that I did announce beforehand that this was my first open mic and that I only took up piano a little over three years ago, but still the sincere applause and complements I received afterwards was very gratifying. Maybe I am cut out for this after all!

Clay
Yamaha P155

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2601588 - 01/06/17 10:23 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
dogperson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
@silver keys
Clay, congratulations!!!!! I am so impressed that you defeated the 'flight' to turn this into a success. Really awesome job-- and just as reassurance, it does get easier each time you do it.

Keep up the great job thumb

#2601594 - 01/06/17 10:48 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: dogperson]
SwissMS Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Costa del Sol
Silver Keys - That is a fantastic achievement! It is great that you persevered through a memory block. From the response of the audience, it sounds like you did great. You are a true performer now!

My YouTube Channel

#2602096 - 01/08/17 02:13 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Palmpirate Offline

Loc: B.C.Canada
What a great way to start the year Farm Girl. How did Santa manage to get that down the chimney!
As for Ralphiano and Isabelle1949 I wonder if your world is rose coloured now! I remember having the greatest suprise when I first went back to piano as an 'older' adult was that I had to be wearing glasses. It took some getting used to and I have my special 'piano glasses' now that make a huge difference. The optician was offering a second pair for free so I went ahead and got them.

My achievement for this first week of the year has been to really work with the metronome.
I played my Chopin Nocturne op27#2 all the way through last lesson and that was his recommendation for me to become more fluid and confident of all the 'frill's. I can play them all but slow right down to be sure of some of them. I found an app on my iphone that I can sit right on the score with flashing lights and sounds so I have to pay attention to it! I know Chopin is not played to strict tempo but this really showed me where to spend time putting things together seamlessly.
I'm so sold on it's use as a practice tool I used it with some of the Bach Inventions - quite a challenge yet again! I was suprised how much I varied tempo around to get the ornaments in - good thing I'm playing solo!

#2602130 - 01/08/17 09:41 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Inkwolf Offline

Congrats on the improvement, PalmPirate! I'm curious, how are your piano glasses different from regular ones? I ask because I wear bifocals and find reading some scores difficult.

Clay, woot! Congrats on your performance and kudos for your courage!

I don't really have an accomplishment, other than slightly improving my sight reading, and managing to acquire a copy of Rankin/Bass's 1977 Hobbit piano solo book on Ebay. Nostalgia heaven. (Waiting eagerly for delivery!)

Edited by Inkwolf (01/08/17 09:43 AM)

#2602133 - 01/08/17 09:54 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Exalted Wombat Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London UK
A lot of musicians find bifocals and varifocals difficult to work with. A simple pair of 'reading glasses' of suitable strength work much better. I've never found any need to go beyond the cheapest - one strength is waiting for me next to the computer monitor, another by my tv chair, another lives round my neck for reading. I own one pair of prescription glasses, kept in the car for driving. Then, should there be an incident, I can't be accused of failing the eyesight requirements.

#2602137 - 01/08/17 10:11 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Exalted Wombat]
SwissMS Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I purchased "fixed distance" glasses for playing piano after finding that I was tilting my head up to read music through the lower part of my progessive lenses. The fixed distance glasses are often referred to as "computer glasses" and allow your head to be level when looking at the music. I need correction for both distance and reading, and these glasses optimize the view at 60cm from my face, which works perfectly for piano. Before that I literally wore reading glasses over my progressives to play piano!

On a interesting note, I asked for "vision impaired" on my first ABRSM exam before I purchased my fixed distance glasses. The examiner presented my with a sight reading test that was HUGE ~60CMX60CM. The notes were 3cm tall! It was so large I could not comprehend it. So, I asked for the regular test! The examiner said they have people that are very impaired but still do the sight reading exam.

My YouTube Channel

#2602138 - 01/08/17 10:13 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
malkin Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
For piano, my bifocals are wrong in every way. The distance correction isn't right to see the music and the close correction at the bottom of the lens is wrong for a glance to the keyboard.

My favorite glasses for piano are readers that I have "outgrown" for actual close work.

#2602142 - 01/08/17 10:28 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Pianoperformance Offline

I just been to the optician, and asked for prescription for 'intermidiate' (aka computer, piano) as my current lenses for short sight is hopeless...from the test lenses, I bought my music score..OMG... what a difference, I just can't wait for my new glasses to come in.

Edited by Pianoperformance (01/08/17 04:14 PM)

#2602150 - 01/08/17 11:30 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Palmpirate Offline

Well Inkwolf, I think you have your answer about the 'piano' glasses. Yes, mine are what the optician officially calls 'Computer' glasses. Before I had them it was a problem tilting head up to focus through progressives and my neck complained after a long practice session. I keep them on the piano and rarely bother with them for the computer though it is much better if I do. Maybe a second pair next time I change prescription. Regular 'readers' from the pharmacy don't do it for me - slightly 'cross-eyed'. Had to laugh at SwissMS exam experience with the huge scores!

#2602305 - 01/08/17 08:39 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Stubbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Midwest USA
Cheapo reading glasses don't work at all for me. My eyesight is not identical in both eyes. The "piano glasses" I got about a year ago are just the cat's meow. Wish I'd gotten them earlier.

#2602307 - 01/08/17 08:49 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Exalted Wombat Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London UK
Interesting point. My eyes aren't identical either. I used to buy two pairs of cheap readers - different strengths but same design - and swop lenses. Then I realised the utility of having different optimum focus distances for each eye. Sort of poor man's bifocals, but with a full field of view for each strength. It suits me.

#2602318 - 01/08/17 09:34 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Bring your scores with you to make sure it works. That's what I did when I got mine. Now I need one for fiddle. It's slightly different distance.

#2602319 - 01/08/17 09:41 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Exalted Wombat]
Palmpirate Offline

Originally Posted By Exalted Wombat
Interesting point. My eyes aren't identical either. I used to buy two pairs of cheap readers - different strengths but same design - and swop lenses. Then I realised the utility of having different optimum focus distances for each eye. Sort of poor man's bifocals, but with a full field of view for each strength. It suits me.

We piano players are nothing if not inventive - from fingering to bi-focals - no accounting for individual idiosyncrasies, you go with what works lol !

#2602337 - 01/08/17 11:13 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Medved1 Offline

Loc: New York
Learned a big (for me) Schumann piece (#10 from Davidsbundlertanze) in about a month, using my teacher's new mantra of "figure it out" rather than "practice it" My tempo is a lot slooower than what you will hear on professional recordings, but I can get it moving, and my hands aren't getting tense, and I can really feel a flow. Now working on not letting the interior voices/triplets overwhelm the melody. In other words, trying to make it into real music.

#2602440 - 01/09/17 10:49 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Medved1]
Stubbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Midwest USA
Originally Posted By Medved1
Learned a big (for me) Schumann piece (#10 from Davidsbundlertanze) in about a month, using my teacher's new mantra of "figure it out" rather than "practice it" My tempo is a lot slooower than what you will hear on professional recordings, but I can get it moving, and my hands aren't getting tense, and I can really feel a flow. Now working on not letting the interior voices/triplets overwhelm the melody. In other words, trying to make it into real music.
Curious about what "figure it out" entails. I can guess, but I'd like to hear you expand on it.

(P.S. If you want to answer on the FOYD thread, that would be cool.)

#2602445 - 01/09/17 11:12 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Medved1]
Palmpirate Offline

Learned a big (for me) Schumann piece (#10 from Davidsbundlertanze)

WOW1 Fantastic! I haven't come across this collection before.

I only recently have tried Schumann as an adult
op15 no 7 ( of course ) and no 17 ( so sweet - I learned it for my little grand-daughter and she remembers me playing it for her when she was tiny and always asks for me to play it), Opus 82 no 4(this I did for Halloween!) They are a delight and I do want to try more. I took about a month over each of them and they have their different challenges. Your pick is a bit more challenging but I might get the score and see what happens!

I love that Piano world introduces me to so much more piano pieces than I would find by myself.

#2602699 - 01/09/17 11:37 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Stubbie]
Medved1 Offline

Originally Posted By Stubbie
Curious about what "figure it out" entails. I can guess, but I'd like to hear you expand on it.

(P.S. If you want to answer on the FOYD thread, that would be cool.)

done! if I have done this right, here's the link to the answer on FOYD :-)

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2602696.html#Post2602696

#2602702 - 01/09/17 11:42 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Palmpirate]
Medved1 Offline

Originally Posted By Palmpirate
Learned a big (for me) Schumann piece (#10 from Davidsbundlertanze)

WOW1 Fantastic! I haven't come across this collection before.

I only recently have tried Schumann as an adult
op15 no 7 ( of course ) and no 17 ( so sweet - I learned it for my little grand-daughter and she remembers me playing it for her when she was tiny and always asks for me to play it), Opus 82 no 4(this I did for Halloween!) They are a delight and I do want to try more. I took about a month over each of them and they have their different challenges. Your pick is a bit more challenging but I might get the score and see what happens!

I love that Piano world introduces me to so much more piano pieces than I would find by myself.

I too have gotten some great ideas from reading what other people are working on - another great thing about this board! I'm not familiar with opus 82, so I'm going to go take a look - thanks! The #10 was a huge jump for me - and in fact my teacher suggested that I try some of the Opus 68 pieces give myself a break and some breathing room while I was working on the big one, which was a good idea.

Edited by Medved1 (01/09/17 11:44 PM)

#2602967 - 01/10/17 05:59 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
I have piano/computer glasses too. I can't get the "off the shelf" drugstore types as I am astigmatic in both eyes. I have "precocious" cataracts too, which are causing me grief at the moment. I have an appointment this week and hope to either get a new prescription (though six months ago the dr didn't think I should bother as he felt I'd have surgery before needed new glasses). We shall see.

I too have learned about so much music from other people here in PW - especially through the recitals. I'm going to be using the AFB Recital Index shortly to look up Debussy pieces that I have enjoyed listening to, and which may be suitable for a new piece, starting in a month or so.

I had my first lesson of the year today - after a 3 week break. It went really well.
I had practiced Traumerei a lot, and very efficiently - and it showed! I was pleased.
My teacher said that for next week I should think about starting a new piece " just for fun, - without any specific learning objectives". I think I'm going to take a piece from my new Dennis Alexander book "Especially in Jazzy Style" book 2.

#2602991 - 01/10/17 06:57 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Inkwolf Offline

Thanks so much for the glasses answers, everyone! Next time I get new glasses I will have to see what it costs to add a fixed-distance pair.

#2603178 - 01/11/17 08:37 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
barbaram Offline

500 Post Club Member

My AOTW I think is a *proper* practice session yesterday after a couple of weeks where energy, motivation and time were all a little lacking and I allowed myself to mostly do what I felt like at the bench. Actually, "what I felt like" was mostly still quite good practice, but I was cherry picking rather than having discipline and structure.
Yesterday I was able to get enthusiastic about doing what should be done :-)

#2603705 - 01/12/17 02:57 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: barbaram]
SwissMS Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I had my second lesson with my new teacher, and I am very glad I have found her. She seems just what I need, and I have already received practice advice that has paid off. So, this week we made a big decision - I am going to sit the ABRSM grade 7 exam in the May/June period instead of waiting until this fall. All three pieces are in the polishing stage, and she is excited about helping with all of the components of the test: pieces, sight reading, scales and arpeggios, and aural. I sight read a couple grade 7 tests, and she critiqued them, so we know what needs to be done to improve that. She has already done a lot to improve my technical work and pieces. Just committing myself to go forward with this is my AOTW. There is a lot of work ahead, but I am excited!

My YouTube Channel

#2605260 - 01/17/17 08:43 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: barbaram]
barbaram Offline

500 Post Club Member

So last week's AOTW for me was this:

Originally Posted By barbaram
My AOTW I think is a *proper* practice session yesterday after a couple of weeks where energy, motivation and time were all a little lacking and I allowed myself to mostly do what I felt like at the bench.

And I stayed pretty successfully in that zone all week.
This week's AOTW, not coincidentally, is a *really* good lesson, with solid progress on pretty much everything I had earmarked to work on during the week.

SwissMs, great news about your exam decision. Given that you have your pieces at the polishing stage then I think you are absolutely right to go for the May/June session. You still have a lot of time to get the other components up to where you want them.
You know we will all be rooting for you here on ABF!

#2605398 - 01/17/17 03:43 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
RaggedKeyPresser Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Orig. land of Svear&Götar
My AOTW is was taking place today at the end of my practice session.
Got my paint-brush-like one note sequences of 4-3-2-1-end on staccato on 3 up the next chord tone....in the RH fluently and moving the pattern up on chord tones 3 times, and ending on the octave....against a staccato chord pattern in the LH at a decent and vital tempo. Keeping a steady no-coin-dropping-attitude in the RH.

Just the 1st 8 bars so far, and memorized on the 3rd day without even trying. Surprising myself again.

1st day's experience was reading a couple of notes at a time and at a snails pace, and I couldn't synchronize L and R hands. Hands separate was no problem.

Can learn hands separate and later join them together, without the perceived impression of learning the same piece twice. Those days are gone.

Only 24 bars left to do on this piece now smile

Edited by RaggedKeyPresser (01/17/17 03:48 PM)
Hoping to graduate well within two years of study. Now at #68 of Opus 599 and behind schedule.

Page 303 of 303 < 1 2 301 302 303

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

(ad)
Piano Summit 2017!
Piano Summit 2017!
Check out the itineraries!
Click for Details
Piano Summit 2017
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Need NY teflon whippens
by Ed McMorrow, RPT
01/19/17 11:30 PM
Pianoteq - an audiophile experience
by Anwar
01/19/17 10:30 PM
drug paraphernalia hidden in piano
by Sam S
01/19/17 08:55 PM
Fair and unfair criticism
by BachMach2
01/19/17 08:54 PM
New Nord Piano Sample!
by fizikisto
01/19/17 08:52 PM
(ad)
Sheet Music Plus
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Forum Stats
86,311 Registered Members
44 Forums
177,880 Topics
2,590,206 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission