Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
125 registered (255, accordeur, 36251, Alexander Borro, ajames, Al LaPorte, 35 invisible), 1428 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 294 of 294 < 1 2 292 293 294
Topic Options
#2537766 - 05/08/16 11:15 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: SwissMS]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Doris, I hope for swift and complete recovery for youe husband. I don't come here often enough to catch up with everyone's progress but I'm glad to see familiar names. I wish for the best for everyone. For piano and life.
Solo - Beethoven Op 14 #2 3rd mvmnt, Chopin Ballade #3, Baroque piece to be decided soon

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2537773 - 05/08/16 11:29 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: FarmGirl]
SwissMS Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
FarmGirl! It is good to hear from you! We miss you here.

Thanks for the good wishes for G Major's continued recovery. He is on the mend.

#2538437 - 05/10/16 02:05 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: SwissMS]
JimF Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Hey there, Farmgirl, nice to see you here. It has been a while.

Oh, and SwissMS, glad to hear your hubby remains on the mend.

My AOTW is sort of a breakthrough in scales and arps for speed. This was a result of many weeks of focused work to really relax everything and be absolutely certain of every weight transfer. Haven't put it to a metronome yet, but it is so much faster and in better control than before that I don't really need to measure it. (and don't want to for fear of screwing it up). My teacher (through Skype) actually used the words "Your wrists look so relaxed and supple", which I guarantee was the first time that phrase was ever uttered in my direction.

Pieces seem to be taking me forever these days. Probably overthinking everything. I'll be ready with a few items for our piano soiree next month, but it is not looking good for the May online, the Pop recital, or even the 40-challenge throwaways, which I keep putting on the back burner pending one issue or another with Liszt or Bach.
My Foolish Heart-Young

Estonia L190 #7284

#2538566 - 05/10/16 07:28 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
malkin Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Happy Birthday JimF! That's quite a compliment! Perhaps we should start calling you "JimF, the guy with the relaxed and supple wrists!"

#2538653 - 05/10/16 11:56 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: JimF]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Happy Birthday Jim

Here's a pic for you from another struggling soul. Music makes me move this monster across the hotel floor. I keep it in my Denver office when I'm not in CO. Not sure when I can post again. I just had a sliver of time tonight while changing my flight on my phone.
Solo - Beethoven Op 14 #2 3rd mvmnt, Chopin Ballade #3, Baroque piece to be decided soon

#2538688 - 05/11/16 03:25 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Online   blank

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Giacomo, con i polsi leggeri e flessibile, --- sono in ritardo! Buon compleanno!

XVIII-XLII
Follow your teacher's instructions and practice wisely/much, and you'll soon wonder how you ever found it hard. BobPickle
Performance anxiety: make it part of your daily routine and deal with it...Cope! zrtf90

#2538694 - 05/11/16 04:13 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
Muitos Parabéns JimF! Um abraço.

Edited by CarlosCC (05/11/16 04:14 AM)

SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

#2538697 - 05/11/16 04:31 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: CarlosCC]

Originally Posted By CarlosCC
Muitos Parabéns JimF! Um abraço.

smile I love that I don't need a translator to understand this!

XVIII-XLII
Follow your teacher's instructions and practice wisely/much, and you'll soon wonder how you ever found it hard. BobPickle
Performance anxiety: make it part of your daily routine and deal with it...Cope! zrtf90

#2538889 - 05/11/16 08:40 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
_silvia_ Offline

Loc: Southeast PA, USA
This week I recognized that a piano was out of tune! I was at a hotel, attending a conference, and searched for a piano to practice late in the evening. I found a covered up Yamaha that was shiny and clean, but terribly out of tune even to my beginner's ears. Plus I played in a hallway where staff was walking back and forth, cleaning up after an event. My first... er... performance in public on a piano that was not my own or at my music school. Probably all hotel pianos are out of tune. Never mind, I count this as an achievement.

#2539060 - 05/12/16 11:30 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Stubbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Midwest USA
Silvia, it is an achievement. Listening to how we sound (and how the piano sounds) is important. I find that I can play a sligtly out of tune piano okay, but when it's really out of tune, I start to question whether or not I'm playing the correct notes--and of course they're not the correct notes, if the piano is far enough out of tune!

My AOTW is getting some new books and starting some new pieces. I just love new books and new pieces to learn. thumb

#2539075 - 05/12/16 12:11 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Stubbie]
SwissMS Offline
1000 Post Club Member

JimF - Here is wishing you a belated happy birthday! I hope you had a great day.

My AOTW is recording 21 pieces so far this year. I have been targeting recording one piece a week, and so far I am on that schedule. The side benefits to this are - I have become quite comfortable with the infamous red dot, and I am getting better at listening to what I play and adjusting my playing to sound more to my liking. This began with the 40 piece challenge last year, and I feel like my playing has benefited a great deal. I think it is one of my best learning tools.

#2539257 - 05/13/16 06:30 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]

SwissMs, that's an encouraging achievement. You have me thinking about doing it. I am not in the 40 pieces group, but I am sure that I have enough pieces to do some recording regularly. Who know, with time and regular recordings I may even get one or two flub- free takes!

My AOTW this week is having a very good lesson and some excellent focused practice sessions despite being sick. I have had a crummy cold and am now coughing a lot.. Such fun.
However, I was really dead focused in my lesson and was really pleased with the way I played for my teacher.
I find that it is getting easier to avoid the pitfall of trying to "perform" for him and to just stay in "work" mode.

In my practice this week I see that I am starting to do things spontaneously rather than having to go through my mental checklist.
It's very satisfying.

XVIII-XLII

#2539275 - 05/13/16 09:12 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: malkin]
JimF Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Thank you all for the very kind birthday wishes. blush

Originally Posted By malkin
Happy Birthday JimF! That's quite a compliment! Perhaps we should start calling you "JimF, the guy with the relaxed and supple wrists!"

Whoa there, let's not get carried away. She just omitted the "compared to how stiff you usually are". But it's a nice dream.

Farmgirl - What dedication! Can't believe you lug that beast around. thumb thumb

Cheryl - whome LOL. Don't think I've ever been called limp-wristed in Italian before. Grazie per i bei fiori . Raffreddori sono così fastidioso . Guarisci presto!

Carlos - muito obrigado!

SwissMS - I wish I could find a way to record weekly too. I'll bet you start hearing things you didn't before.
My Foolish Heart-Young

Estonia L190 #7284

#2539287 - 05/13/16 10:00 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Palmpirate Offline

Loc: B.C.Canada
This week has been incredible. I've kept practicing though. That's how I start the day, else it just doesn't happen and I'm keeping my MYOD vow come heck or high water, and I'm so glad I do because no matter what else happens I'll still be able to play something half decent should everything else fall apart!
I'm on a re-visit to some pieces - Brahms intermezzo 118 no 2. So very beautiful. But it's painful to feel so bad at it after working so hard on it before. But my teacher reassures me the learning curve is mush faster second time around. Trouble is I am so much more picky, over every single note.... I think we only got through 8 measures in an hour! Only a couple of hundred to go......
BUT the big excitement for me was the possibility, only a possibility mind, of getting a second piano, and I've got a feeling it's one starting with an S.
We put on 'concerts' in our courtyard - music from Les Mis, and Phantom of the Opera. Yes we bring in some big stars but this year instead of a keyboard we want to bring out a grand. I've always said No to letting them have my Yamaha GC1but they have enticed me into 'giving it a go'. SInce we are putting on on 8, yes that is eight, shows this year ( it was only 2 last year, and 1 the year before) instead or renting one it was suggested we buy one for the concerts. Well I think they can use the Yamaha and I'll go shopping for another😏

#2539561 - 05/14/16 07:47 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]

Jim, that's NOT what I meant! Just flexible, that's all.....why do I feel there is no tidy way out of this one?

Palmpirste--- that's quite some news! Let us share the shipping vicariously!

XVIII-XLII

#2539642 - 05/14/16 03:11 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]

Ok, week I know the week isn't over...it is it How do we measure them? Starting on Sunday, or Monday or in the day of our piano lessons? .. I go by my lessons for the most part.

Anyway......

This last 48 hours have lead to some kind of major breakthrough for me.

I have hit a new phase of musicality, I can feel I am more relaxed and the music is flowing very differently.
I am getting one of those rare "Ah, THIS is what it should feel like" feelings.

Wow.

XVIII-XLII

#2539644 - 05/14/16 03:13 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
malkin Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Good thing I didn't sign up for MOYD. I am going to Peru for a month!

#2539899 - 05/15/16 08:50 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By casinitaly

This last 48 hours have lead to some kind of major breakthrough for me.

I have hit a new phase of musicality, I can feel I am more relaxed and the music is flowing very differently.

Wow.

That is so awesome C. Bask in that good feeling... you worked hard for it. Happy for you. smile

Giacamo
My Foolish Heart-Young

Estonia L190 #7284

#2539901 - 05/15/16 09:02 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: JimF]
SwissMS Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Casinitaly - That is fantastic! Those breakthrough moments are very special, and they kind of sneak up on you. Congratulations!

malkin- Wow! A month in Peru! Have fun!

#2539920 - 05/15/16 10:07 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: malkin]
Palmpirate Offline

Originally Posted By malkin
Good thing I didn't sign up for MOYD. I am going to Peru for a month!
Wonderful county - fantastic geography - inspiring views. I've just got to quickly ask goggle for the names of Peruvian composers, can't think of any myself.

#2539925 - 05/15/16 10:21 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Palmpirate Offline

Ok, week I know the week isn't over...it is it How do we measure them? Starting on Sunday, or Monday or in the day of our piano lessons?

Wow.

Yes I wondered how we measure the week. Sunday is often the day I just spend browsing through, but not very often writing in!
'Wow"moments are treasures aren't they - wish I had more of them at the piano. For me I sometimes feel they are all too fleeting but spur me on to keep going.
Why can't that happen at lessons! We laughed about it last lesson and as I was critiquing myself I got the comment back - ' Don't worry about it, it doesn't matter' but I quickly interrupted and said' Yes it does!'
The thing is that it's practice that does make those 'wow' moments achievable and slowly they become the norm.
It's hard being an adult returner thinking of all those years of missed practice and very aware that not so many are left. But to have those pieces that I have learned and am learning is really a special thing to me and does uplift me no -end. It's something that is enduring and I'll never be without and certainly will never give up!

#2539929 - 05/15/16 10:27 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: FarmGirl]
Palmpirate Offline

Originally Posted By FarmGirl
Happy Birthday Jim

Here's a pic for you from another struggling soul.

Gosh and I fuss about trekking my 64 keys around..... but it is neat to think of all the views I've had to play at!

#2540725 - 05/17/16 05:02 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]

TRAUMEREI !!!!!!!!!

My summer homework!

I had a really good lesson today and part of it was planning what I would be working on over the summer.

The idea is to work with my teacher to get an over view of the pieces and check out any potential pitfalls before we finish up at the end of June so that I can be comfortable working over the summer.

I picked a Rondo by Mozart, very sweet and light.
I picked Grieg's Op 65, N2 Peasant's song - and I had another one picked out but....
When my teacher was looking at the Grieg piece I said "one of my long range plans is to play Schumann's Traumerei but I think it's too hard for me right now".
His reply was that it wasn't any harder than Peasant's Song and so I am going to do them both!

I will start with the Rondo though.

I feel like I have a lot of music on my plate now !

XVIII-XLII

#2540750 - 05/17/16 06:07 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Cameront9 Online   content

Loc: Central Texas
Hello all, I'm new here--my achievement of (last) week was having my first actual piano lesson! I played when I was a kid but dropped piano for trumpet.

I'm very fortunate to have free piano lessons, courtesy of my wife who has a Masters in Piano Performance from LSU. She has me doing the Faber Piano Adventures Adult All-in-one book. I'm about halfway through that book and loving every minute!

#2540782 - 05/17/16 07:26 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
earlofmar Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
congratulations on starting your journey again Cameront9, having a piano teacher as your wife sounds like both my dream and nightmare.

XL, XXXVIII-9-XXX

#2540785 - 05/17/16 07:31 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
earlofmar Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
TRAUMEREI !!!!!!!!!

My summer homework!

it is a beautiful piece, good luck with the homework.

XL, XXXVIII-9-XXX

#2540863 - 05/18/16 01:41 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: earlofmar]
SwissMS Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Casinitaly - It sounds like you have lots of fun projects for summer, and lots of variety to play. Traumerei is wonderful. Have fun with it, and I hope we will hear it in recital!

My AOTW: My teacher asked me to send her a link to my YouTube recording of Shui Cao Wu to review. I am always nervous about that because she is quite picky in lessons, always pointing out what I need to do better. After all, teachers are supposed to help you improve. So, I was blown away when she deemed the recording very good, pointed out positive aspects and actually congratulated me on it! I am walking on air now! It was a great confidence builder. I will play this piece at a piano party on Saturday and in a live recital in front of about 40 people on June 12. At least I know the music is in there now!

The second AOTW isn't an achievement quite yet. I have been so frustrated with the aural exams section that requires sight singing and singing with an accompaniment that- drum roll- I signed up for voice lessons! I have always wanted to be able to sing and play, so I am going to give this a shot. I took voice a bit when I was in junior high school a looong time ago. So next week is my first lesson. Wish me luck!

Edited by SwissMS (05/18/16 01:49 AM)

#2541057 - 05/18/16 02:11 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Moonsh1ne Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
TRAUMEREI !!!!!!!!!
My summer homework!

Awesome! Something I'm also looking forward to learning

#2542522 - 05/23/16 01:09 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Moonsh1ne Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
So my wife threw me a surprise birthday party which included a piano recital. It's not like I achieved much (besides getting older and butchering a Mozart and a Chopin piece in the said recital), but just wanted to share, since it seriously scratched my piano itch. smile

#2543134 - Today at 02:11 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]

What a great celebration moonsh1ne!

My AOTH, is that after botching the 3rd movement of my sonatina in my lesson, I buckled down to some serious focussed study and have made a real leap forward in smooth playing.
If I keep this up, Ana I plan to, I should demonstrate avejoke new level at my next lesson. Not to mention being in much better shape for the piano party!

I also played the whole sonatina tonight and felt like it was truly musical.

Feeling satisfied!!!

XVIII-XLII

Page 294 of 294 < 1 2 292 293 294

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Why It's Impossible to Tune a Piano!
aka, why you should be nice to your tuner.
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
(ad)
Hammond A100 for Sale!
PRICE DROPPED!
(Think B3)
Hammond A100 for sale!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad 125)
Sweetwater $55,000 Giveaway
Sweetwater $55,000 Mic Locker Giveaway
(ads)
PD - WNG - MH
Wessell Nickel & Gross
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Resource on Learning how to play by ear
by sonhnguyen
05/25/16 02:04 PM
Waldorf blofeld
by Edb123
05/25/16 01:48 PM
Using someones Synthogy samples
by rychubil
05/25/16 01:45 PM
Keep making the same mistake
by Adelheid
05/25/16 01:33 PM
20% OFF TICKETS TO GARRICK OHLSSON - MAY 26 2016
by PhilharmonicSoc
05/25/16 12:50 PM
Forum Stats
83,748 Registered Members
44 Forums
172,922 Topics
2,527,612 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2016 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission