Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyers Guide
Who's Online
86 registered (al reds, AndyP, ando, AprilE, anamnesis, 36251, 21 invisible), 1553 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 297 of 297 < 1 2 295 296 297
Topic Options
#2557107 - 07/17/16 05:29 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Those are some wonderful achievements SwissMs!

Congratulations!

XVIII-XLII
Follow your teacher's instructions and practice wisely/much, and you'll soon wonder how you ever found it hard. BobPickle
Performance anxiety: make it part of your daily routine and deal with it...Cope! zrtf90

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2557298 - 07/18/16 04:41 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Palmpirate Offline

Loc: B.C.Canada
Well, they say learning and instrument, a new language, or giving up retirement keeps you young. I and still learning what feels like a new instrument every time I start practice, am linguistically challenged even in my mother tongue, but can attest to the third suggestion. Mind you there is another saying that I feel is appropriate - Never worked and never will. Although we have never worked harder in our lives, it remains a joy to be involved with what we have created. But to get back on topic, I had the best lesson ever last week. The first after about 8 weeks by now. I really had only played about 2 hrs after an extended absence so really wondered about even going and I am so glad I did. Beethoven's Sonata No15 is almost there. Into the last 10% was what my teacher proclaimed. Phew! Now for the fun bit.

#2558882 - 07/26/16 03:41 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Palmpirate Offline

I started the Aria from the Goldburg Variations for a change of pace and was pretty pleased with my weeks work on it. A lesson helped simplify bars 21 and 23 with the really funny squiggles, which different people on Youtube play differently! But now I'm out of town so practice time is down. I know I could have nailed it this week. Will have to skip a lesson too so maybe I'll be back on track by then.

#2559438 - 07/28/16 09:21 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Stubbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Midwest USA
My AOTW is resuming lessons after almost two months off. It's good to get back to lessons, though (sigh) they never get easier nerves-wise.

#2560459 - 08/02/16 05:41 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

I hear you Stubbie! I have THREE months off every year and it drives me absolutely insane. I won't get back to my teacher for another six weeks. frown

My AOTW was to see that my new pieces have not fallen apart after a week away from the piano (traveling for a little holiday). In fact they sounded pretty good.
I am pleased.

I have also found that these pieces are giving me more scope for being expressive - or maybe I've just picked up new skills that are letting me make the music sing in a fuller, more stirring way. Whatever the case, again, I am pleased.

XVIII-XLII
Follow your teacher's instructions and practice wisely/much, and you'll soon wonder how you ever found it hard. BobPickle
Performance anxiety: make it part of your daily routine and deal with it...Cope! zrtf90

#2560465 - 08/02/16 06:05 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Exalted Wombat Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London UK
I's great that you're becoming more secure in your technique! But beware of playing OVER-expressively. There are examples on YouTube of concert pianists performing horribly over-wrought versions of a 'lollipop' like 'Minuet in G. They seem to find it hard to accept its simplicity. As we say when an actor is doing too much 'acting' - trust your material.

#2560468 - 08/02/16 06:11 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Exalted Wombat]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By Exalted Wombat
I's great that you're becoming more secure in your technique! But beware of playing OVER-expressively. There are examples on YouTube of concert pianists performing horribly over-wrought versions of a 'lollipop' like 'Minuet in G. They seem to find it hard to accept its simplicity. As we say when an actor is doing too much 'acting' - trust your material.

Thanks! Your point is well taken. I've seen /heard some over-the-top performances too. I don't think I'm at risk for the moment simply because I am just starting to feel able to give a bit more smile For the future, I will trust that my own sense of good taste will keep me on track --- not to mention the fact that my teacher will be quick to set me straight should I even be tempted to get carried away!

XVIII-XLII

#2560469 - 08/02/16 06:12 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

oh, and btw... I'm actually working on 2 minuets in G smile (though they aren't my newest pieces).

XVIII-XLII

#2560485 - 08/02/16 07:21 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
barbaram Offline

500 Post Club Member

My AOTW is that on returning to the 40 piece challenge after neglecting it horribly between March and June, I've seen a dramatic improvement in my ability to get to grips with easier (for me) pieces.
Last year I took a bunch of my pieces for the challenge from Classics to Moderns Book 2, and they took me typically 1-2 weeks to get acceptable for the challenge.
This year I stepped up to Book 3, and over the last couple of weeks I've got a number of them to the "acceptable" point in 2-4 days, along with a couple of pieces from Faber Jazz & Blues Level 4 in a similar timeframe. Now admittedly I have also prioritised the challenge so the pieces are getting more time per day than the Book 2 pieces that were taking 1-2 weeks last year.
All the same, it's definitely the case that I'm taking material that's a bit more challenging, and I'm getting it basically playable more quickly, which is really encouraging.

#2560527 - 08/02/16 10:07 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Exalted Wombat Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London UK
Excellent! Trust your musicianship, and trust the composer.

After all, you're hardly an 'adult beginner' any more. You've been posting here as long as I can remember. Time to graduate? :-)

#2560638 - 08/02/16 05:09 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Exalted Wombat]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By Exalted Wombat
Excellent! Trust your musicianship, and trust the composer.

After all, you're hardly an 'adult beginner' any more. You've been posting here as long as I can remember. Time to graduate? :-)

Well..... technically, having started to play as an adult, I will always be an adult beginner. smile

On the other hand, it is true, I am not at a beginner level anymore.

I am certainly not Pianist Corner material either.

I am just one of the many who will continue to hang out here because it is the friendliest place to be.

XVIII-XLII

#2560763 - 08/03/16 08:33 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Palmpirate Offline

Originally Posted By casinitaly

On the other hand, it is true, I am not at a beginner level anymore.

I am certainly not Pianist Corner material either.

I am just one of the many who will continue to hang out here because it is the friendliest place to be.

It is a comfort to know there are those of like mind out there!

#2560766 - 08/03/16 08:38 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Palmpirate Offline

I am off to my next lesson later today and I think things have changed quite dramatically lately. I am going with very specific questions for help in several pieces I am working on. It isn't just a weekly 'progress report' anymore and worrying about what Teacher thinks.
It's more about what I want to achieve and where I have got stuck. I probably can work through on my own but I know that he will immediately have a solution or suggestion that will make such a difference I'll hardly believe it. Guess that's why I pay the guy!

#2561279 - 08/05/16 05:51 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Palmpirate I hear you! There's not always a good reason to struggle with figuring out something when you know that your teacher can sort you , and it, out in a flash.

My AOTW is that I played, for an audience.....and did really welll. I have NEVER played so well with someone listening.

It was my friend who helped me pick out my piano . We have decided to work on a duet, so he came over to work on it.

Before trying the duet he said he wanted to hear me play.

I played my Diabelli sonatina, 3 minuets, my 2 new pieces and Morning prayer.

I played so well that my husband came into the room to double-check who was playing. He said he'd never heard me play so well. (And he hasn't !)

My friend hadn't heard me play for about six months and he was impressed .

I am tickled pink. I feel this is a significant breakthrough.

XVIII-XLII

#2561300 - 08/05/16 06:58 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Stubbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Cas, that has got to feel just wonderful! Congratulations! That kind of experience is like a booster rocket that puts you in orbit. Enjoy!

#2561327 - 08/05/16 08:46 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
malkin Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Wow! Cas, that's great!!!

#2561362 - 08/06/16 02:11 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: malkin]
SwissMS Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Congratulations Casinitaly! That is quite a long program to play for an audience, and it sounds like you did fantastic!

#2562654 - 08/12/16 12:45 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
cathryn999 Offline

Loc: Australia
CasinItaly, that made me smile very widely. Congratulations, that must be a great feeling!
What got me excited (like so many others here) is returning to lessons but even more than that, two things:
- with my teacher, a plan to work towards overcoming my performance anxiety
- and he has me moved me on to Grade 8 pieces :-) :-) :-)

The first is Mozart K309, starting with the Rondeau which I'm coping with very well.

So - I'm back to where I left off 38 years ago. Perhaps I will get to be good by the time I'm 60 after all.

#2563404 - 08/15/16 01:36 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Congrats C. thumb Sounds like you have really made a big transition in playing for other people. All those recitals and EPP's are paying off bigtime, as they should, in allowing you to relax and let your musicality come through. Sono molto felice per te!!

My AOTW is getting back to the bench after nearly three weeks away from the piano. Vacationed hiking and sightseeing across six western states. Had a fantastic time, culminating in my favorite niece's wedding in the Seattle area. It took a few days to get the Liszt and Bach pieces back to where they were, but the layoff has me hearing it better than before.... hoping that also translates into the playing as I resume work with my teacher this week.

I haven't contributed much around here lately, but I still read all of the posts.

Jim

Estonia L190 #7284

#2563797 - 08/17/16 07:37 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: JimF]
BrianDX Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: First Town, First State
Three year pianoversary is today.

Boy those three years have gone by fast. Started at age 57, now I'm 60. Have probably played 500+ pieces of all sorts in that time frame.

Started with playing Mary Had a Little Lamb, just finished a Beethoven Sonatina in original form.

Goes to show what happens when you combine a great teacher, relentless work ethic, a great instrument, and spousal support.

And yes... The ABF has helped me along as well smile
Current: Summer Solstice (Faber) (OC); Wild Flowers (Faber) (OC)

#2563905 - 08/17/16 03:32 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Congrats Brian, it does seem like just yesterday when we were welcoming you to the board! Three years seems to be kind of a dividing line, to me anyway, where you often see people losing interest or motivation. I'm pretty sure you are not even remotely at risk. grin

Technical (microphone) problems aborted yesterday's skype lesson....argghhhh cry . But it was easily fixed and we did the lesson this morning. I knew she was going to have a new piece for me to start work on, but I had no idea it was going to be Ravel's Sonatine - Mvmt No.2 Menuet. Geeeez, that's what she played at our last recital. sick We spent the whole hour doing fingering just to the first repeat. She says it isn't that much of a stretch, but boy.... it sure looks like a finger-twister with all kinds of skills I don't yet have. Ah, well, nothing to do but get on with it I suppose. One thing I can say is that if I ever get to where I can play this, I will have figured out how to keep my hands very relaxed.

This guy plays some wonderfully expressive piano. I really like his interpretations.

here's the link in case the embedded function misfires Ravel's Sonatine: Menuet

Edited by JimF (08/17/16 03:35 PM)

Estonia L190 #7284

#2563926 - 08/17/16 04:53 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Stubbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Brian, congratulations on your Year 3 anniversary!

Oh my goodness, yes, the time does go fast and yes, it is a lot of work, but you have the right teacher, the ability and desire to work hard, a good instrument, and the right spouse ( smile ). What blessings!

Now get back to practice. wink

#2563929 - 08/17/16 05:05 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Stubbie]
SwissMS Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Congratulations Brian! Three years is quite a milestone, and you have progressed very well. Well done!

#2564043 - 08/18/16 08:51 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: SwissMS]
BrianDX Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: First Town, First State
Thanks everyone! On to year 4... smile
Current: Summer Solstice (Faber) (OC); Wild Flowers (Faber) (OC)

#2564710 - 08/21/16 12:11 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Stubbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

There are two types of complements my teacher gives: Type 1: "That was good, but let's try......." or Type 2: "That was good. That was miles ahead of what you did last week. Good work."

My AOTW was getting a Type 2 compliment on one of my pieces and even getting a "pass" on it. I had worked hard on the piece with the metronome, and it paid off.

#2564981 - 08/22/16 08:19 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
barbaram Offline

500 Post Club Member

Congrats BrianDX on your pianoversary! Great achievement - not just the 3 year timespan, but the attitude, the diligence, and the progress actually made in that time.

Well done too to Stubbie, Casinitaly, Cathryn, SWissMS - and anyone I've left out who's recently shared an AOTW smile

I'm putting a lot of focus on the 40 piece challenge this month, trying to catch up on lost ground. I'm hoping to be "only" a month behind by the end of Aug smile.
My small AOTW is that I'm accidentally tackling some trickier pieces within the challenge, and it's not a complete disaster smile
I picked a piece from what I *thought* was a selection of Gr 3-ish pieces. Thought it was awfully tough at the grade until I discovered it's on the ABRSM Gr 5 syllabus smile
I'm certainly not claiming to be playing the piece well after just a few days, but I am pleased at what progress I have made, especially as I found it hard to get to grips with initially (ie not just hard to play the notes, but hard to make sense of musically). There's good learning in it for me, for sure!

Page 297 of 297 < 1 2 295 296 297

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Piano Summit 2017 - Join Us!
along with Chick Corea, Jonathan Cain,Set Rudetsky, Ray Chew, Onree Gill ...
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
(ad)
Calculator Looks Like Piano Keyboard
Calculator that looks like a piano keyboard
Piano Keyboard Calculator

New in the Piano World online store (PianoSupplies.com) now.
(ad)
Pianist Magazine
Pianist Magazine - Helping you become a better player
(ad)
Teaching Children Music
Teaching Music to Children
(ads)
PD - WNG - MH
PianoDisc
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
New Topics - Multiple Forums
DIY: Who does your key cover monikers?
by LanceMilton
08/31/16 12:16 AM
side slipping question
by Hi there
08/31/16 12:15 AM
Sohmer baby grand
by bams
08/30/16 10:57 PM
The blindfold test.
by Piano90X
08/30/16 08:56 PM
Very New to my Digital Piano and I Need External Speakers
by Laymond
08/30/16 05:55 PM
Forum Stats
84,830 Registered Members
44 Forums
174,867 Topics
2,551,783 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2016 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission