Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
150 registered (accordeur, anamnesis, AZNpiano, anotherscott, 36251, 33 invisible), 1539 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 270 of 270 < 1 2 268 269 270
Topic Options
#2419501 - 05/11/15 11:54 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
earlofmar Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
I think is was a nice thing to say but of course the result of much hard work that many could not put in

XXXVIII-9-XXX

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2419598 - 05/12/15 08:30 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
PhilipInChina Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: China
Smashed through the sticking point and onto something new. I am trying to learn some pieces with absolutely no help from either teacher. I have got to be able to do that for when I retire so won't have the access to teachers that I have at present.

Very happy.

#2420964 - 05/15/15 07:00 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Online   blank

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
My AOTW is that I have made another breakthough in my Tchaikovsky.....this piece has been torturing my brain since I started --- a few weeks ago I was starting to be able to actually remember what notes were coming up next rather than struggling to read it as if it were brand new each time (most of the time I'm playing 4-5 notes all at the same time, it is a headache!!!)

But... the past week or so it is really starting to flow, my tempo is evening out (yes, I've resorted to the metronome..... It is becoming my buddy rather than my nemesis) and FINALLY I feel like I actually know what is coming, and what I'm doing.
whew!

#2420977 - 05/15/15 07:52 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
2000 Post Club Member

good to hear you are doing well casinitaly

XXXVIII-9-XXX

#2421277 - 05/16/15 04:08 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: earlofmar]
SwissMS Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
My AOTW was hosting another piano party for my teacher's students today. We had eight players ranging from beginner through advanced. Everyone played quite well, and we all had a great time. I played my recital piece, Chopin nocturne in C# minor Posth. I was a bit nervous when I first sat down at the piano, and I completely blanked out on the opening chords. I could not remember where to go after the first one! I remember thinking to myself, "Well this is ridiculous. I have played this a 1000 times!" I have never had a mental lapse there. I mentally rolled my eyes and started again, and everything fell into place. After that, the piece went smoothly. So, note to self-- know the opening chords completely. What are they? What is the harmonic progression? Play them hands separately. etc. Ah well, the post playing toast of champagne erases all errors!

European Piano Party in Switzerland Jul 4, 2015

#2421524 - 05/17/15 10:25 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: SwissMS]
Sand Tiger Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
Been a while since I reported.

Ever wonder what happens if you give a party and no one shows up? Well, I arrive half an hour late to my local music group (Songmakers) and there was one other musician guest there. Since I am an old timer at the group, it was okay. We talked a lot and did make a little music. There were five people all together. Thankfully the other musician could play guitar and lead some of the sing alongs. That's something I am no where near doing on piano.

I was able to play my two prepared songs, Con Te Partiro (my recital piece) and my new original Natalie's Lullaby. With so few people I told the story.

Natalie Merchant wrote a song, Verdi Cries, when she was with the 10,000 Maniacs. It is one of my all time favorite pop songs. I tried learning it by ear on the piano. However, I got stuck, and the song isn't much as an instrumental without the vocals. It would be ruined by my below average singing.

So I took the first two bars, the intro to the song and developed that into a piece. Hence the name, Natalie's Lullaby.

Anyway, despite the record low turn out at the meeting, we had a good time, talked more than usual, had some good home made strawberry pie.

For the life of me, I could not get out some tunes. The Kawai EX1 has a different sound than my Casio PX150. On a couple of tunes, I couldn't get past the differences, so could not perform and had to switch to another piece. Short practice times definitely contribute to the issues.

Edited by Sand Tiger (05/17/15 03:14 PM)

#2421705 - 05/17/15 07:10 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Sand Tiger]
BrianDX Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: First Town, First State
Pretty easy AOTW:

Participated in my teacher's adults-only musicale this afternoon (my 4th). Played the first piece pretty well, even though I was very nervous. I'm also playing this at the Guild auditions in 10 days, so this was good "under pressure" practice.

Then I played the second piece, my own composition. Went pretty well, messed up a few sixteenth-note combinations (which I have not gotten to yet in my Faber books) but overall it was well received.

To date, the best piano day of my 20 months so far (and I've had a lot of good ones!).
Current: Prelude (Op. 137 No. 22) (Bertini) (OF); The Bear (Rebikov) (OF)

#2421765 - 05/17/15 10:45 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
raskdog Offline

Loc: Melbourne Australia
I pretty much have Beethoven's Adagio Cantabile under control and ready for my exam.

#2422172 - 05/18/15 06:42 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]

SwissMs - sounds like your party was great fun- and what a good recovery! Brava!

Sandtiger - you too had a good recovery with the unexpected non-turn out! Seems you were very flexible in managing what you would do, that's a skill to value!

Brian - Congrats on the recital. I wish my school had an adult recital, I just can't bring myself to be the only adult playing with the kids.

Raskdog - that's great - when is your exam?

Today I played for my neighbour (the nice one, next door smile ) --- they have a console digital, which has quite a different feel from mine, so it is good training for me to play it - and good to play for an audience. I played all three movements of the Clementi, from memory, and I was thrilled I was able to play half of the Tchaikovsky from memory! woohoo This is another significant break through - I'm starting to "own" this piece. smile

#2423194 - 05/21/15 12:02 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Stubbie Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Midwest USA
My piano lesson went much, much better this week and I'm calling that my AOTW.

I did have a lapse, though. I had promised myself I would never utter, "I played this so much better at home." I told my teacher about my promise to myself and then said, "But I'm going to make an exception--I played this piece so much better at home!" She laughed and said she probably said that herself a bazillion times when she was taking lessons. smile

Then she said she can tell when a student makes an honest error due to nerves or a slip-up and when the mistakes are the result of not practicing and trying to fake it. I really, really hope this is true! (And I think with a good teacher it is true.)

#2423252 - 05/21/15 03:22 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JeanieA Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Reno, Nevada
I played my little Bach piece (Prelude No. 1) well at my lesson - from memory, complete with legato right hand and staccato left hand, got all the little trills in the right place, didn't blow the fast run at the end AND kept it in time!!! WoOt!

My reward? A moment of applause and 'graduating' to a Two Part Invention! (And finally NOT having to say "I play this better at home.")

#2423288 - 05/21/15 05:22 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: JeanieA]

Originally Posted By JeanieA
And finally NOT having to say "I play this better at home."

A glorious moment indeed! (In my experience, it happens very rarely! )

Congrats!

#2423290 - 05/21/15 05:25 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: JeanieA]
Stubbie Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By JeanieA
I played my little Bach piece (Prelude No. 1) well at my lesson - from memory, complete with legato right hand and staccato left hand, got all the little trills in the right place, didn't blow the fast run at the end AND kept it in time!!! WoOt!

My reward? A moment of applause and 'graduating' to a Two Part Invention! (And finally NOT having to say "I play this better at home.")

Very nice. Bach needs to be played just so, and it's not easy.

It was a Bach Two-Part invention that prompted my BIPTBAH moment (BIPTBAH: "But I played this better at home.") smile

#2423293 - 05/21/15 05:31 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Stubbie]

Originally Posted By Stubbie

Then she said she can tell when a student makes an honest error due to nerves or a slip-up and when the mistakes are the result of not practicing and trying to fake it. I really, really hope this is true! (And I think with a good teacher it is true.)

Both of my teachers have told me this - and though I don't teach piano, I too can tell when my students are making a mistake because they don't know or because they are tired/not paying attention/nervous. Believe it!

#2423395 - 05/22/15 02:21 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
I played my Rach piece at our local piano club tonight. The host had a Beckstein piano. It went ok. Could have done better but people told me that it was beautiful. Well it made me feel so much better. I think I'm finally getting used to play in front of roomful of accomplished pianists. I seldom shake on stage in community college recitals. But I experience nerve attack in front of this crowd. Piano is fun. I have to continue to practice this piece until August (playing it with amateur group in Tokyo) but now I can start a new romantic / impressionist piece. Excited. Hope you all have great weekend.
Solo - Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Beethoven Sonata #14-2, Granados Spanish Dance #2

#2423421 - 05/22/15 05:45 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
2000 Post Club Member

cycled 141 kms today and taking a casual 7 hours away from piano I think I have finally got over my obsessive piano phase. Now I am just an extreme piano hobbyist laugh

XXXVIII-9-XXX

#2423450 - 05/22/15 08:02 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: earlofmar]
malkin Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Originally Posted By earlofmar
cycled 141 kms today and taking a casual 7 hours away from piano I think I have finally got over my obsessive piano phase. Now I am just an extreme piano hobbyist laugh

I would love to have that much time!

#2423953 - 05/23/15 05:59 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: earlofmar]
Jytte Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: presently Germany (Danish)

141km? And you're still alive to tell the tale???

I take at least 7 hours away from piano at least 5 days every week. It's called work laugh

#2423985 - 05/23/15 07:45 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
malkin Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
I attended my daughter's medical school graduation today and bumped my lessons to 1 hour!

#2423997 - 05/23/15 08:37 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Jytte]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Originally Posted By Jytte

141km? And you're still alive to tell the tale???

You people should be reminded that earlofmar has run much farther than that on foot.
For him...that was just a nice bike ride.

#2424020 - 05/23/15 10:24 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: rnaple]
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By rnaple

For him...that was just a nice bike ride.

Thanks for remembering Ron. I know to most of you our Australian Winter would be laughable but it was cool and then it rained big time, but as my longest bike ride to date I was pretty happy with myself.

However while my AOTW was being able to separate myself from my beloved piano for an extended time, a second AOTW came yesterday when I played my next PW recital piece (to my ears) just about perfect....pity I did not have the recorder on. Yes I know, it's a little early to be talking about the next recital but I stuck a whole lot of pieces in the oven seems like ages ago on a low heat and every now and again I open the oven to see how they are going......this one was al dente grin

XXXVIII-9-XXX

#2424029 - 05/23/15 10:57 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
leel Online   content

Loc: Lacey WA
At last! My hands are HT! I really thought it was never going to happen--I'm not playing fast, but it is together and I'm thrilled beyond words. yippie

#2424041 - 05/23/15 11:33 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: leel]
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By leel
At last! My hands are HT! I really thought it was never going to happen--I'm not playing fast, but it is together and I'm thrilled beyond words. yippie

now add a foot grin

sorry could not help but be silly. This is a great achievement and for me my preconceived notion was playing hands together could only be done by special people. I felt overjoyed as well when as a mere average person I found I could do it too. Soon you will not even think twice about it.

XXXVIII-9-XXX

#2424138 - 05/24/15 06:02 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: leel]
Jytte Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Congratulations smile Wonderful feeling, isn't it? Keep going, there will be more victories like this!

#2424361 - 05/24/15 04:08 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: leel]
Stubbie Offline
500 Post Club Member

Well done. thumb HT is no simple task. Slow is okay--the speed will come.

#2424394 - 05/24/15 06:15 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]

Leel, that is a tremendously exciting breakthrough! Congratulations!!!!!

I had an interesting experience this week. I was doing some sight-reading, and found that I could hear the music BEFORE I played it. I knew what the next notes and chords were going to sound like, before touching the keys. That was very nifty!

#2424400 - 05/24/15 06:27 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Jytte Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Wow! Nifty indeed. I can't even imagine. You must be extremely good at reading. Hat's off!

#2424455 - 05/24/15 09:32 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
leel Online   content

Loc: Lacey WA
And just how long did it take for THAT to happen?? Asks the one who's struggled to get HT for seemingly forever smile

#2424523 - 05/25/15 04:37 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]

Well... How long did it take...hmm. Good question.

I have often been able to anticipate what the next notes will be, but I think most of us have some ability to do that simply because we are familiar with how pieces evolve. We might not be able to explain what isvhappwning, but we understand a resolution to conclude a piece for example.

This is the first time I have consciously heard what was going to happen just by looking.

I have been playing for over five years now, but I also had extensive experience in high school, playing a great range of genres in our concert band, much of with has stayed with me over the years.

So, I am not sure how to answer your question. ... Could be I have been doing it for a while without realizing it, could be a new development that is an accumulation of experiences. I don't know, but it was really nifty!

Page 270 of 270 < 1 2 268 269 270

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
(ad) Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
Wessell Nickel & Gross
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Incredible piano cover/music video of "A Thousand Years"
by Josh Stefanski
05/28/15 06:13 PM
Zoom Q 8
by Mark...
05/28/15 06:05 PM
Gershwin concerto in F (transcribed)
by phantomFive
05/28/15 04:35 PM
Ervin Nyiregyhazi plays March of the Three Holy Kings
by Michael Sayers
05/28/15 03:29 PM
70's Gray Market C3?
by CardinalBiggles
05/28/15 03:29 PM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
79,453 Registered Members
44 Forums
164,410 Topics
2,411,777 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission