Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyers Guide
Who's Online
102 registered (AZ_Astro, augustm, barbaram, ando, anamnesis, alwatson, 19 invisible), 1298 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 298 of 298 < 1 2 296 297 298
Topic Options
#2572948 - 09/21/16 05:05 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Cheryl - have fun with Traumerei. I've always wanted to give it a try. Can't wait to hear it in a future recital.

Jeff - Nice job. thumb I would be over the moon with that kind of response to my playing from a stranger.

Nothing much to report for me. Still working hard on Ravel, polishing Liszt and Bach. Have had some minor victories, but nothing that is easy to explain other than I got a "wow" on a scale and a "who is that by?" on an impromptu improv from my teacher the other day. Those made me smile smile

Lets hear from all you lurkers... we want to celebrate whatever you've got going on.

Estonia L190 #7284

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2572959 - 09/21/16 05:33 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: DrJeff]
Stubbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Midwest USA
Jeff, that's a lovely image--piano music drifting down the hallway; small children at work and play. And everyone benefits!

Cas, I know what you mean about having to adjust to a (very) different piano. It can really throw you until you adjust. It's good to get back to lessons, too.

My AOTW is getting two new pieces assigned at my lesson last week, one from Bach's French Suites and one from Chopin's Op. 28. I love getting new pieces to work on, though getting two assigned at once is maybe more love than I can manage at the same time. grin

#2572968 - 09/21/16 06:06 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Palmpirate Offline

Loc: B.C.Canada
JimF, I do post from time to time but must admit to spending a lot of time 'lurking'!

Love that Liszt youa re working on - I want to give it a try!

Stubbie, there's a lot to choose from in the French suites and it was suggested to me I choose something from them when I said I'd like to do so some Bach. I find his music so grounding and soothing and these are a bit more fun than the more mainstream pieces.
And - which Prelude will you choose? I must get those out again too. Been quite a while...

Currently visiting down in CO and although I didn't play during the drive down I have my RD64 up now and am glad I have it here. I've set myself the goal of getting the notes down for Gershwin's 3 preludes for 4 hands while I am traveling around. It's not half as bad as I feared! Off to Tahoe to visit friends next week so hope to keep this up.

#2573024 - 09/21/16 10:55 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Palmpirate]
Stubbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Midwest USA
Palmpirate, wow, traveling with your own PP (portable piano)!

I am working on French Suite No. 6, first the polonaise, then the menuet, and now the bourree. I actually look forward to practicing these. They're pretty and not too hard.

My new Chopin prelude (which my teacher chose for me) is No. 15, the "Raindrop" prelude. As always with Chopin, beautiful but full of challenges. The one I worked on before that was No. 3. I got no where near the suggested tempo, but got some good workouts with my left hand!

#2573089 - 09/22/16 10:08 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Stubbie]
BrianDX Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: First Town, First State
After 3 years of lessons I get to start on Prelude In C by Bach this week.

Finally I will learn a piece that I get to hear all of time on Pandora in original form. smile
Current: Prelude In C (J.S. Bach) (OF); Great Barrier Reef (Faber) (OC)

#2573168 - 09/22/16 03:58 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: DrJeff]
DrJeff Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By DrJeff
Hi All,

It has been quiet here lately; this is one of my favorite threads to read through... So I will contribute for a change.

I have been going in to my church early in the mornings the past several weeks in order to practice on the grand piano downstairs (it's also used by a local theater group). This part of the church is adjacent to an area that is used for a pre-school.

While I was practicing away this morning, someone came up to the piano, and I stopped playing. It was the teacher of the three-year-olds class; she said that she really enjoyed the piano music that has been "drifting down the hall" the past mornings, and to please continue playing.

I was quite happy with this; I had been shutting the hallway door, but stopped after I noticed that someone kept propping it open each morning.

So that's my accomplishment for the week so far; I will be back to lessons this evening after a break of a few weeks from summer.

Jeff

A follow up from this morning...

As I was practicing today, a theater person came up and said "Hi, I didn't want to startle you. I left something back stage." Then "Miles Davis." and then "So What."

So at least some people recognize what I am trying to play....

My teacher is mostly a jazz pianist, and the Davis piece is my first foray into jazz. He has me alternating classical pieces with the Davis piece, and wants me to contrast the swung eighth notes with the classical straight eighths.

Jeff

#2573536 - 09/24/16 09:36 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Pianoperformance Offline

Mendelssohn op 19 no6...working on musicality now, yeah, teacher gave green light..but now really have to focus on bach invention 13 (with best friend, the metronome 😈)...

#2573558 - 09/24/16 11:10 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Pianoperformance]
SwissMS Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Costa del Sol
I am still piano-less in Spain. My pianos will be in storage until out home is completed early next year. I am seriously into PWS (piano withdrawal syndrome). Next week I will be searching for a suitable rental piano. I am listening to Youtube videos and studying theory, but I really want to get my hands on the keys!

#2573565 - 09/24/16 11:22 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Palmpirate Offline

Loc: B.C.Canada
Well I got the notes down for those Gershwin Preludes. Can't wait to start playing with Primo. but won't be back for another maybe 10 days. Maybe by then I can even try primo as well but I'll probably chicken out of that! Most likely will also be watching YouTube and playing the table top piano since my guess is the DP won't come out of the trunk much on this next section of our trip. It'll be a lot of overnight stops and visits with old friends - not condusive to squirreling away alone and getting some key time to myself. Who knows though maybe they might have a piano!.

#2573791 - 09/25/16 01:24 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Online   blank

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Nice to see everyone getting back into the swing of things!

I took a stab at Traumerei over the weekend and was DELIGHTED to see that the pieces I worked on over the summer seem to have made a huge difference in being able to figure out what to do, how to move my hands, how to use certain fingerings almost spontaneously. (almost smile ) Considering that there are two voices in each hand, and that the first time I tried reading it I simply couldn't figure it out....I'm rather chuffed.

It's still very challenging, but it's less intimidating!

XVIII-XLII
Follow your teacher's instructions and practice wisely/much, and you'll soon wonder how you ever found it hard. BobPickle
Performance anxiety: make it part of your daily routine and deal with it...Cope! zrtf90

#2574592 - Yesterday at 09:24 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JoBert Offline

Loc: Germany
Not an achievement as such (unless you count my decision to spend the money as an achievement) but it certainly got me excited, and happy:

My new Schumann books just arrived from Amazon!

Henle's Urtext edition "Robert Schumann - Complete Piano Works", volumes III and VI (I already have volume V, so now I have three out of six).
  • Volume III is the one that contains the "Kinderszenen" (scenes from a childhood) and other pieces.
  • Volume V (which I already have) contains the "Album für die Jugend" (album for the young) and other pieces.
  • Volume VI contains a collection of various shorter pieces (most not too difficult), including three easier piano sonatas which I find very interesting (written for and styled as "children sonatas").
Can't wait to get home and play some... smile

#2574601 - Yesterday at 10:09 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
joename Online   content

Had a great session yesterday. Took a break from polishing two nearly done pieces and focused on good sectional hands together working on Kabalevsky's Toccatina. It's not up to speed, but it's coming together nicely.

#2574780 - Today at 05:10 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
lvojnovic Online   content

Loc: Croatia
Hi, I am rather new to the forum.
I got myself a piano after my 30th birthday in December and found a piano teacher in January. I always wanted to play a piano so I try to practice whenever I have the time; around 1 hour on workdays, and 2-3 hours a day on weekends.
Why I am writing this? Because I was over the top happy after my lesson this week. For the last 3 month I am learning an Etude by Clementi that I thought was way over my level. And this week my teacher told me it is remarkable how good it is going and that it usually goes this good after 3 or 4 years of piano experience. So I was really happy and proud of myself smile Of course, other pieces that I play are at my level or just slightly beyond it.

#2574788 - Today at 06:23 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: lvojnovic]
f3r Offline

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By lvojnovic
Hi, I am rather new to the forum.
I got myself a piano after my 30th birthday in December and found a piano teacher in January. I always wanted to play a piano so I try to practice whenever I have the time; around 1 hour on workdays, and 2-3 hours a day on weekends.
Why I am writing this? Because I was over the top happy after my lesson this week. For the last 3 month I am learning an Etude by Clementi that I thought was way over my level. And this week my teacher told me it is remarkable how good it is going and that it usually goes this good after 3 or 4 years of piano experience. So I was really happy and proud of myself smile Of course, other pieces that I play are at my level or just slightly beyond it.

Cool! Keep going!

Kawai CA97 | YouTube Channel

#2574794 - Today at 06:51 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: lvojnovic]
michaelvi Online   content

Loc: Israel, Haifa
Originally Posted By lvojnovic
Why I am writing this? Because I was over the top happy after my lesson this week. For the last 3 month I am learning an Etude by Clementi that I thought was way over my level. And this week my teacher told me it is remarkable how good it is going and that it usually goes this good after 3 or 4 years of piano experience.

Congratulations for your achievement !!!
I also started this January and I also can practice up to 1 hour on workdays, and 2-3 hours a day on weekends. I just was going to write here about what got me excited this week, but after reading other posts here and especially yours I see that my "achievement" is literally nothing to talk about smirk
I am now curious - is this that "Etude by Clementi", which you are playing now? (I am not even able to read this score cry )

#2574799 - Today at 07:07 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
barbaram Online   content

500 Post Club Member

Well done lvojnovic!

Michaelvi, it's so easy to fall into the trap of measuring ourselves against others. This "Achievement of the Week" thread is *really* not about that! It's about finding something positive in our piano week, no matter how small.

For me, my AOTW relates to scale practice.

I had been doing 2 octaves, but just before the summer break my teacher suggested 3 octaves. As I play 2 notes to each metronome click, the switch to 3 octaves meant that the click was falling on the other note than the one I as used to for each pair as I descended. This totally threw me and I kept screwing up as a result. So I ignored the whole 3 octave thing over the summer break (and my scales in general some of the time).

Anyway, AOTW is that I tried again and it was no bother at all. It felt totally natural and I can't even understand why I found it an issue the first time!

SwissMs, big sympathy on your piano-less state!!
What about buying a cheap digital and then selling it again when your new place is ready? Any loss on resale would quite likely be less than the rental. Or perhaps now's the time to justify buying a travel DP smile
Though you have such wonderful pianos that it would probably be very hard to adjust to a cheapie

#2574802 - Today at 07:48 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: michaelvi]
lvojnovic Online   content

Loc: Croatia
Originally Posted By michaelvi

Congratulations for your achievement !!!
I also started this January and I also can practice up to 1 hour on workdays, and 2-3 hours a day on weekends. I just was going to write here about what got me excited this week, but after reading other posts here and especially yours I see that my "achievement" is literally nothing to talk about smirk
I am now curious - is this that "Etude by Clementi", which you are playing now? (I am not even able to read this score cry )

Thank you!
Yes, it is no. 4 from Gradus ad Parnassum. I would not be able to even know where to start or how to practice it without the help from my teacher.
Please do not feel bad, I did have a head start because I already knew how to read music when I started playing piano (I played flute for 6 years as a child)

And please, do write about your achievement!

#2574809 - Today at 08:47 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
michaelvi Online   content

Loc: Israel, Haifa
lvojnovic, I don't feel bad, I actually feel good reading about other people's achievements! It also makes me optimistic smile

Till very recent time I was repeatedly saying the same story to my teacher and my wife: "I am not able to play a piece while reading its score. There are only 3 notes that I can quickly recognize on the sheet - 'Do' and 'Si'of main octave on treble clef and 'Si' on bass clef. For any other note I need to use my finger to count steps up or down from those notes and then I need to count it again on the keyboard - this is how I find key that I need to press now. For the next note I need to repeat this process. So to play a piece I have now other way but first memorizing it entirely and only then I can practice it, without looking to sheet". I though I'll never be able to read sheets and play right from that reading...

Two days ago I was learning a piece given by my teacher. I was doing my first phase - memorizing it... And eventually I found myself playing right from sheet without loosing temp... I was excited! But the piece is very very simple, with many 'raw' sequences like 'Do'-'Re'-'Mi'..., which means it is very simple to play them once first note is recognized and found on keyboard. So now in the following two days I need to train myself to correctly express those legatos (where they start and end)...

Page 298 of 298 < 1 2 296 297 298

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Piano Summit 2017 - Join Us!
along with Chick Corea, Jonathan Cain,Set Rudetsky, Ray Chew, Onree Gill ...
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad
Let Your Piano Sing
Let Your Piano Sing
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommendations - New/Used vs Grey/Online?
by j29
41 minutes 11 seconds ago
Seeking piano teacher recommendations in London, UK
by Nadia
Today at 07:07 AM
20 Year old Bosendorfer 200 - but never played?
by SwissMS
Today at 05:09 AM
Chopin no7 Prelude in A Major question
by Terry Michael
Today at 03:11 AM
Yamaha C2 Recording
by tuffy
Today at 02:41 AM
Forum Stats
85,111 Registered Members
44 Forums
175,408 Topics
2,558,960 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2016 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission