Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 238 of 238 < 1 2 ... 236 237 238
Topic Options
#2338053 - 10/16/14 02:40 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
torquenale Offline

Loc: Italy
Happy birthday Malkin!!

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2338055 - 10/16/14 02:42 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
torquenale Offline

Cheryl, I know what you feel. It's normal to have lows... next time will be better!

#2338064 - 10/16/14 03:13 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: malkin]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Happy birthday Malkin! Found you a cake, but it had no fur....

Estonia L190 #7284

#2338254 - 10/17/14 04:22 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
Happy birthday Malkin!!

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

Self-taught since 12/2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

#2338467 - 10/17/14 03:57 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Donzo Offline

Loc: British Columbia
My AOTW - I am working on a piece for my teacher that introduces the Alberti Bass pattern, and also incorporates scales.... but I don't really like that piece much. So (please remember, I'm a newbie, bear with my modest achievements):

achievement #1 was recognizing the Alberti bass - "hey, I've heard this before... Aha - it was used in the Aristocats 'Scales and Arpeggios'". (yes, I have little kids). Which coincidently enough not only has Alberti bass but also incorporates scales. I then went online and found an arrangement someone had posted of this piece using MuseScore

achievement #2 was realizing that the arrangement I downloaded was in the key of C, while the assigned practice piece was in F... and then transposing the downloaded piece on the fly while playing from C to F.

Ok, ok, I realize that transposing a piece like this is really just a matter of choosing a different starting point from which to base your intervals, and remembering that one of the notes is a flat. So it isn't really very tricky. But, hey, its my first time doing this in real-time so gave me a good-feeling buzz.

Thanks for listening!

Don

People Ain't No Good - Nick Cave
A Pirate Looks at Forty - Jimmy Buffett
Scales and Arpeggios - from the Aristocats

#2338476 - 10/17/14 04:37 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Donzo]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hey Don, don't sell your achievement short. Transposing on the fly is never easy. That is a great aotw....congrats. thumb

Estonia L190 #7284

#2338572 - 10/18/14 12:02 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Donzo]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Donzo
achievement #2 was realizing that the arrangement I downloaded was in the key of C, while the assigned practice piece was in F... and then transposing the downloaded piece on the fly while playing from C to F.

HOLY COW! Great!

#2338579 - 10/18/14 12:19 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Donzo Offline

Loc: British Columbia
JimF & Whizbang - thanks for the support! It means a lot! Transposing that song is pretty easy because the right hand has only 2nd or 3rd intervals in regular progression, and no chords, so like I said, you just need to start your thumb on the right note and it isn't hard to transpose... but I'll take all the misplaced support I can get!! smile

Thanks!
Don
People Ain't No Good - Nick Cave
A Pirate Looks at Forty - Jimmy Buffett
Scales and Arpeggios - from the Aristocats

#2338794 - 10/18/14 01:24 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Sand Tiger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
Malkin, happy birthday week.

Donzo, transposing on the fly is a relatively high level of skill. I believe it becomes an optional part at grade level 6 or so on the exams. So be proud. It is something that only a very few beginners can do, and many will not attempt it, even when it becomes an option.

CasinItaly, sometimes I think that discouragement is my middle name. It was humbling when I flunked out of the online ear training course (Developing Your Musicianship) earlier this year. It made me question why I bother, when my sight reading aptitude is even worse than my ear. The experience did have me decide to give up on my singing. While my piano progress tends to feel glacial, it is a minor miracle that I can play piano at all. I thought I would be terrible at piano, because of my poor sight reading aptitude, lack of appreciation and understanding for harmony, repetitive stress issues in my hands, tinnitus in the ears.

I still find occasional moments of joy, of losing myself in the music when I play. I also have venues to perform at. Those are the things that keep me going despite what seems like a steep uphill climb in terms of progress.

Week 136: Still working on Killing Me Softly. For the upcoming recital, I have my original Between Raindrops well rehearsed. I go back to the sheet music pile and dig out My Favorite Things from the Sound of Music. I might play that at the November Songmakers meeting. My schedule tends to be busier into November and December, and that means less time and energy for piano practice.

Have a good week everyone. Cheers.

#2339895 - 10/21/14 05:01 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
BrianDX Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lewes DE
Week 60:

Well things are in motion here in lower Delaware for my teacher's adult "Fall Musicale". I've selected a duet piece where I'm in the lead. Lots of work to do, and the timing must be exact. Plenty of time to perfect this, however.

Passed Faber's "Ride Of The Cossacks" which is the fastest piece I've yet attempted. Got nice compliments as well. I would love to record this for the online recital next month; we'll see how that goes...

Little things...
Upcoming: Faber - Funiculý, FuniculÓ

#2339906 - 10/21/14 05:39 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Sand Tiger]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Sand Tiger - Its those beautiful moments "in the music" that make the struggle worthwhile, isn't it? The fact that you have obstacles to overcome just makes those moments that much sweeter.

BrianDX - Whatever you choose, I'm sure you will give it a great effort. Looking forward to hearing it.

No real AOTW for me. Still got a lingering somethingorother bug that is interfering with things. The Debussy is about as done as it is going to get...will try for a recital recording next. My teacher and I have finished a second of the Ravel suite of duets (Beauty and the Beast) and we will start a third one next week. I have a new assignment this week... CPE Bach's Solfeggietto...one of those speed-freak pieces. Obviously this little helping of peas and carrots is intended to awaken my fingers from their usual lethargic state. Should be interesting to see how that goes.

Edited by JimF (10/21/14 05:40 PM)

Estonia L190 #7284

#2339920 - 10/21/14 06:26 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: JimF]
BrianDX Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Jimf: Interesting post about your latest experience.

I know that in the 14 months since I've started, I've not yet been sick. We did have a three week hiatus during the holiday season, and it took a day or so to get back in the groove.

However since my wife and I are still comfortably in the elementery level, my guess is the more advanced you are, the longer it takes to get your mojo back after some "down time", whether it was planned or not?

#2339940 - 10/21/14 07:10 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
8 Octaves Offline

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015

Loc: USA
My AOTW is that I just spent the last 8 hours recording all 157 measures of my piece for the ABF Recital one measure at a time, repeating every measure many times. So all I have to do is now sort through 600 measures of stuff and pick out which ones I luck best to paste them all together! grin

Seriously, that's a joke, in case you believed it. In light of the discussion over on the other thread I couldn't help myself. smile What's actually true for AOTW, I did in fact finished recording. Didn't do a one-live-take and done thing like last time. Did about 4 takes. Will decide to pick one later or maybe none and record again later. Nah. I think I'm done.

#2339946 - 10/21/14 07:19 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: 8 Octaves]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Originally Posted By: 8 Octaves
My AOTW is that I just spent the last 8 hours recording all 157 measures of my piece for the ABF Recital one measure at a time, repeating every measure many times. So all I have to do is now sort through 600 measures of stuff and pick out which ones I luck best to paste them all together! grin

That sounds like more of a torture than listening to a recording of a bad performance!

#2339948 - 10/21/14 07:27 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
8 Octaves - LOL -

Cathy

#2339952 - 10/21/14 07:31 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: 8 Octaves]
BrianDX Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Seriously, that's a joke, in case you believed it. In light of the discussion over on the other thread I could help myself. smile What's actually true for AOTW, I did in fact finished recording. Didn't do a one-live-take and done thing like last time. Did about 4 takes. Will decide to pick one later or maybe none and record again later. Nah. I think I'm done.

I think that joke writes itself wink

Tonight I'm going to try to record my "reach for it" piece.
After four takes I'm done for the night, as with this piece, after 4 run-throughs my hands actually start to get tired...

Wish me luck, I'm going to need it

#2339998 - 10/21/14 09:42 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Ben Boule Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
I hurt my hands at the end of July and this week I am finally back making progress at the piano! I hurt myself biking (bruised bone in my wrist) and had to wear a splint for 4 weeks.. I managed to give myself tendonitis in both forearms while I was in the splint, mostly due to typing at work and trying to adapt to using the splint. I was in PT for about 6 weeks to work on the tendonitis.

I'm not back 100% for biking/exercising and I am still doing tons of PT exercises for my forearms which do leave my arms tired but I am pretty close to back to 100% at the piano which feels fantastic..

Currently working on a couple pieces from the Bastien book (level 1, almost finished) and Bach's Musette in D from Anna Magdalena's notebook. I think I will have the Musette coming along pretty well within the month.

#2340032 - 10/22/14 12:09 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Ben Boule]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Ben Boule
I managed to give myself tendonitis in both forearms while I was in the splint, mostly due to typing at work and trying to adapt to using the splint.

I hear ya! Good to hear you're bouncing back.

#2340069 - 10/22/14 05:20 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Whizbang]
barbaram Offline

8 Octaves - LOL, troublemaker! At least you didn't post that on the "one month to recital" thread :-)

BrianDX, my experience so far has been that when I've been away for a week or less I've got straight back into it, but when I was away for 3 weeks it took at least a week to get back to where I left off. In those cases though my enthusiasm was not dampened. Illness affected me slightly differently, as my energy levels were very low afterward and it took a while to get back to myself.

Ben Boule, glad to hear your recovery is progressing well, and JimF hope you are back to full health soon.

My AOTW is that I have taken some steps to arrange trial lessons with a couple of different teachers over the next while, and I have set up some practice time on an acoustic piano later this week (as I only have a digital).

#2340109 - 10/22/14 09:38 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: 8 Octaves]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:

LOL. I recorded my just-assigned Solfeggietto speed-freak piece at 20 bmp for 1/16ths.... now I just have to set the editing software at some speed that's slow enough to sound like me on a good day. grin

Estonia L190 #7284

#2340115 - 10/22/14 09:58 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

BrianDX - Thanks to MOYD,I don't have a lot of experience with days off from piano practicing. Pretty sure you could count my 5-year total on two hands. My teacher has actually suggested I take more time away from it more than once.

Given the major physical challenges some on these boards have to overcome all the time, I don't really have the right to whine about my case of the sniffles. Mostly it just seems to affect my ability to focus.

Barbaram - Thanks for the good wishes. Good luck with those teacher interviews.

Edited by JimF (10/22/14 10:01 AM)

Estonia L190 #7284

#2340205 - 10/22/14 02:24 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Johan B Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands, Grootegast-Gr...
Hi there,

I like to share the next story.

Last week at my school, I work as senior teacher, I decided to play piano in the musicroom for an hour. Suddenly the door opens and a junior pupil (13) enters the room. I ask......do you like pianoplaying? Yes, she says......I started pianolessons for two weeks. Then she says....What is your favorite piece? I took a piano sonate of Mozart, sight reading from my iPad..and played......
She says spontaneously suprised.......THOSE ARE A LOT OF NOTES......

Best regards,
Johan B

Currently working on:Sonaten of Haydn/Mozart, Suites Bach/Hńndel, Sonate pathetique Beethoven
'Nil volentibus arduum'
https://m.youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic

#2340248 - 10/22/14 04:04 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Johan B]
8 Octaves Offline

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Johan B

Lol, just like Amadeus the movie! Did you respond like Mozart and say, "there are exactly as many as required." smile

#2340494 - 10/23/14 07:35 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Online   blank

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Life continues to be very busy, but a bit more pleasantly so rather than frenetically so!

After the disappointment of last week, I had a much better lesson this week - I'm back on track.

Thanks again for all the encouragement!

#2340628 - 10/23/14 02:44 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: 8 Octaves]
Johan B Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands, Grootegast-Gr...
Originally Posted By: Johan B

Lol, just like Amadeus the movie! Did you respond like Mozart and say, "there are exactly as many as required." smile

Did not know this sentence..........nice....

Greetings
JohanB

Currently working on:Sonaten of Haydn/Mozart, Suites Bach/Hńndel, Sonate pathetique Beethoven
'Nil volentibus arduum'
https://m.youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic

Page 238 of 238 < 1 2 ... 236 237 238

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha UX vs WX
by goldmund
10/25/14 11:34 AM
Need help with chords
by Shirz
10/25/14 07:52 AM
Which are the best forums for piano technicians and DIYers?
by Withindale
10/25/14 03:17 AM
Prelude
by noobpianist90
10/25/14 01:55 AM
Red Striped Screws and Fancy Nuts
by chernobieff
10/24/14 11:57 PM
Who's Online
132 registered (alfredo capurso, accordeur, 36251, ajames, 0987654321, 37 invisible), 1546 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76656 Members
42 Forums
158489 Topics
2327586 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission