Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This Search is powered by Google
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Pianoteq
Grotrian Concert
Royal
for Pianoteq out now
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyers Guide
Who's Online
105 registered (AprilE, Anne'sson, Bambers, bennevis, alwatson, 30 invisible), 1958 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 304 of 304 < 1 2 302 303 304
Topic Options
#2607778 - 01/23/17 11:19 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: DrJeff]
Stubbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Midwest USA
Originally Posted By DrJeff
I received another nice compliment while practicing on the grand piano at our church yesterday morning. One of our youth group leaders came out from the adjacent kitchen and said that my playing had "centered" her. Apparently she had come in that morning stressed out from working on a project...

Due to my traveling at the end of December and early January, I never logged in to remark on the passing of my third piano anniversary. Progress is slow, but it is there!

My thanks to all the regular posters here, I really enjoy reading about your accomplishments.

Jeff
Congratulations on the kind words on your practice and congratulations on your (belated) Third Piano Anniversary! thumb

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2608085 - 01/24/17 05:37 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Happy birthday SwissMs! Hope you're enjoying it to the fullest!

My ATOW is just fixing a problem of legato in my In Church. Yes, I know I played it in the e-cital, but I'm still working on it and it is actually sounding much better, so , well worth the effort! I had abandoned it for a few weeks while I focused on Traumerei, and now I'm refining it.

Traumerei is working its way into my brain and fingers, parts of it are memorized simply because I've played them so much. This week my focus will be smoothing out legato interval chords and trying not have better volume balance.

I was supposed to have started on a "just for fun" piece, but I didn't because I wasn't really in the mood to start something new as I'm having so much fun with these two. My teacher didn't seem to mind that at all. smile

#2608101 - 01/24/17 06:16 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida

Happy Birthday SwissMs!!!!

Estonia L190 #7284

#2608109 - 01/24/17 06:31 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hello to all my AOTW friends. I haven't been around much lately, so it is nice to see what everyone is up to here.

For the first time in quite a while I have some sort of AOTW..... progress has been extra slow for me recently as I've been spending a lot of time on another hobby and work, trying to adjust to a new schedule for piano. So I was particularly pleased at today's lesson when I was able to demonstrate some very visible progress on Ravel. Even more so because, based on a recommendation of my teacher, I had read an article on "interleaved practice" that just clicked with what I was working on. When I applied it during the past week, I could literally feel the change in practice routine making a difference No doubt in my mind it was a huge contributor to my making some headway, even with fewer total hours of practice than recent weeks.

I'm pretty sure that article or something like it was posted on PW somewhere at one time, but I'll dig it out and post it if anyone is interested.

Jim

Estonia L190 #7284

#2608189 - 01/24/17 11:46 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: JimF]
Ralphiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By JimF
Hello to all my AOTW friends.
I'm pretty sure that article or something like it was posted on PW somewhere at one time, but I'll dig it out and post it if anyone is interested.

Jim

Please do. Thanks, and, congratulations on the improved progress in your practice sessions.

Casio Privia PX-760
Pianoteq Stage
Pianist since April, 2015

#2608221 - 01/25/17 02:34 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Ralphiano]
SwissMS Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Costa del Sol
Thanks for the Happy Birthday Casinitaly and JimF! I had a warm sunny day, with lunch on the beach!

I am really happy with my new teacher. Between now and the exam I am taking two lessons a week via Skype. One lesson is repertoire and technical work, and the other is sight reading and aural. Yesterday I had my second lesson of aural and sight reading, and it was very challenging. I cannot say that I have an achievement as such, but I do have a good handle on what needs to be done and a road map of how to get there.

She also managed to fix my scales and arpeggios. She suggested visualizing a straight, red line on the keys in front of the black keys. Then I play the scale or arpeggio, aligning my fingers up to that line. Prior to that, I was playing my thumbs flat and too far out and my other fingers too far into the black keys. That simple visualization of lining up my fingers resulted in better synchonicity and a better sound, especially in the third apart scales. Arpeggios also became much more secure. So that is a huge AOTW for me!

My YouTube Channel

#2608233 - 01/25/17 03:25 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

SwissMs, glad you had a good birthday! It's great to hear how well things are going with your teacher too. The red line for arpeggios sounds like a useful tip indeed.

JimF - nice to year your ATOW too - you've been less than excited about things for a while. I have heard about the interleaved practice but I don't remember much about it - I'd like that link too please!

#2608237 - 01/25/17 04:32 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
barbaram Offline

500 Post Club Member

SwissMs, that sounds interesting, I must give it a try. And delighted you had a good birthday!
JimF, I remember reading about interleaved practice here before, glad to hear it is going well for you.

#2608441 - 01/25/17 05:13 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Here's a link to the article I referred to upstream:

interleaved practice article

In my case I broke what I wanted to work on into half a dozen very small segments of as little as 2 beats or as long as a full phrase, depending on difficulty. Then, instead of practicing each segment with multiple repetitions before moving to the next section (as I normally would), I practiced each segment only once. Then went back and repeated the whole cycle multiple times....in different orders and always with a pause to think first about the next section. Then I did variations of that each day.

Estonia L190 #7284

#2608447 - 01/25/17 05:37 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Thanks for that Giacomo! I started reading it, but realized I'm too tired and should read it when my brain is fresh. From what you said and the little I read, I can already imagine which bars of Traumerei I'm going to apply the method to!

#2613058 - 02/09/17 08:39 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
dogperson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
My ATOW is actually being TOTALLY unprepared for my lesson... but not cancelling. (I actually could not bring myself to cancel), and it was a great lesson. Yes, I confessed that I was unprepared and had no idea what we should work on.

The suggestion of my teacher, which we did for the entire lesson, was to talk and play through new repertoire I should have been working on at home this last week. We discussed fingerings, identified problem sections/possible solutions, and discussed how I would approach new repertoire alone.

SOOOOO, never be afraid to go to a lesson and admit that you are not ready for a lesson. You can still learn a lot! It really was energizing.

"My toy was my piano" -Alicia de Larrocha
"Just waiting until I can retire from my day job so my piano can be my toy"- dogperson

#2613121 - 02/10/17 03:16 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: dogperson]
SwissMS Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Costa del Sol
dogperson - That sounds like a good lesson indeed, and thanks for the reminder that every lesson is valuable, even if you are unprepared. I am always anxious when I go into a lesson when I feel I am not prepared enough. Your reminder puts it into perspective!

I am so happy with my new teacher. She has been a conservatory teacher for 25 years, and normally only teaches post ABRSM 8 students. So I feel very lucky to have her. After each lesson she sends notes that are a critique of each piece or technical exercise, much like one would receive from an examiner in the exam. It points out the strengths as well as the weaknesses, so I know exactly what to practice and how to do it. She never says "fail", she says "revised", which means needs more work! My AOTW - an "excellent!" on my scales, and "improved" on all of my exam pieces. It is nice to feel like I am making progress.

She ask me if I would be willing to pair with another student next week via Skype and play exam pieces for each other. I agreed to do so. It is a little scary, but exciting!

My YouTube Channel

#2613127 - 02/10/17 03:45 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
WiseBuff Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
SwissMS so happy for you! That does sound intriguing to SKYPE perform for another student. Way to go Dogperson, I have students (not piano) who opt out when they are unprepared so I'm glad you showed up and learned. I'm anxious before lessons even prepared...usually I learn something useful.

Ahhhh...I do have an AOTW for a change. Our piano group (all students of the same teacher) had our Chopin piano party on Wednesday and I played a Waltz in A minor Opus 34 no 2. Lovely piece and I felt good about my performance. A higher level piece and my accomplishment was playing it after only 2 months of practice.

Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo

#2613144 - 02/10/17 06:12 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
RaggedKeyPresser Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Orig. land of Svear&Götar
These pieces take longer and longer to complete.
Working on getting one octave scales in the LH in 32nd notes at the tempo of 70 quarter notes per minute.
And that against other activity in the RH, in a melody mainly in thirds, and a light sprinkle of 6ths.
It sounds great at that tempo and a very nice technique to have.
Hoping to graduate well within two years of study. Now at #69 of Opus 599 and behind schedule.

#2615529 - 02/17/17 05:03 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Ralphiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Recently, a fit of intelligence set in on me, but, I'll probably be over it soon. I was struggling to play a series of descending chords, legato, with each succeeding chord requiring the use of many of the same fingers as the preceding chord. The "legato" part was the problem.

Suddenly, on my own, without provocation, explanation, or remuneration, I came up with the brilliant idea of using the sustain pedal to sustain the first chord until moving my hand to play the next. I thought of it on my own! Never before had I used the pedal without being told or shown to do it by someone else. Could this be a sign of adulthood?

I'm very proud of myself, and of the sounds I am now making. smile

Casio Privia PX-760
Pianoteq Stage
Pianist since April, 2015

#2615628 - Yesterday at 03:13 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Ralphiano]
RaggedKeyPresser Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Orig. land of Svear&Götar
Discovering a new ability that one's brain can perform, is always rewarding.
Hoping to graduate well within two years of study. Now at #69 of Opus 599 and behind schedule.

#2615670 - Yesterday at 06:19 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
cathryn999 Offline

Loc: Australia
Two discoveries got me excited. First, my sight reading is improving out of sight thanks to the 40 pieces a year challenge; and second I discovered my heartrate drops (thanks fitbit)when I'm playing something I love and I'm in the zone (you know, that kind of away with the fairies thing that happens).

Page 304 of 304 < 1 2 302 303 304

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

(ad)
Piano Summit 2017!
Piano Summit 2017!
Check out the itineraries!
Click for Details
Piano Summit 2017
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Need Advice - May Purchase 16 Yr Old Nordiska
by JJKNB
02/19/17 06:25 PM
My practice app of choice and how I use it
by JackMusic
02/19/17 06:24 PM
Software module vs keyboard inner sound engine, practical
by hag01
02/19/17 05:05 PM
Beautiful piece from Taiwanese composer - search for scores
by Cat_W
02/19/17 04:19 PM
Older Cunningham pianos
by mc_2
02/19/17 04:12 PM
(ad)
Sheet Music Plus
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Forum Stats
86,724 Registered Members
44 Forums
178,590 Topics
2,599,988 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission