Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
77 registered (ando, ajeales, alerique, 21 invisible), 949 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 288 of 288 < 1 2 286 287 288
Topic Options
#2508655 - 02/09/16 05:55 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
SwissMS Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Casinitaly - I can relate to your fears when playing the acoustic - especially with a complaining neighbor downstairs. It is difficult living in an apartment with a piano. I moved to a townhouse on top of a shopping center with no one above or below me because I always feared I would disturb the neighbors if I practiced on my grand. I played it, but I did not do deep practice on it. My teacher has noted the difference since I can actually practice on the grand. So perhaps practicing with the silent feature would give you the same effect.

I think keeping the accoustic makes sense from a development standpoint. I think it really makes a difference to play one regularly. Plus, you say you love it!

Don't be discouraged by periods without progress. This is most certainly not a linear process!

My AOTW is getting on the same page as my teacher and having a wonderful lesson. I have been the typical "bad" student, who listens to what her teacher says, and then does it my own way. After my crash and burn at my piano party on the Beethoven Sonata I decided to solve a technical issue once and for all, and put myself in her hands completely. I am working on two short grade 6 pieces and am using them to focus on feeling and eliminating tension in the non playing fingers. One piece focuses on chromatics and is a thumb tamer. The other is filled with jumps and running passages. I can go no faster than the speed where there is complete relaxation - no flying fingers. It is working! I am slowly building up speed on them again, as she allows. I can just see my teacher doing "Hallelujahs" after four years of trying to get this through my head. The last two lessons have been very positive, and though I am not there yet, I can see improvement. From now on I pledge to be a better student!

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2508674 - 02/09/16 08:31 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
@SwissMs - I so enjoy hearing of your progress - even when you hit a glitch, you get over it so gracefully.

You have some valid points about using the silent mode - the keys are weighted properly - though I do have to say that now that I'm trying to put more nuance into my playing I do notice that it is "easier" to play quietly in Silent mode than in acoustic mode - I often get empty notes in acoustic whereas in Silent they show up..... In any event that's a minor detail - it is like switching pianos, they all have a different feel.

I am not convinced I will give up the acoustic, but .....I am thinking and experimenting.

XVIII-XL
Follow your teacher's instructions and practice wisely/much, and you'll soon wonder how you ever found it hard. BobPickle
Performance anxiety: make it part of your daily routine and deal with it...Cope! zrtf90

#2508700 - 02/09/16 10:39 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Palmpirate Offline

Loc: B.C.Canada
Casinitaly, I can relate to your dilemmas.I first went back to piano down in our beach condo because I saw they had opened a music school across the road and I could get lessons in a place I could walk over to.Because it was a condo I got a Roland digital and could play as much as a I wanted and whenever I wanted. The feel was as close to an acoustic as you could get and I still love it. I upgraded the headphones which I think makes a great difference. Back home I have a disclavier Yamaha GC1 which is wonderful because you can put it in silent mode. We don't have neighbors to worry about so that feature lets me play in the middle of the night those times when I can't sleep but everyone else is out of it! It also helps if I'm in tough practice mode and other people are around who would otherwise have to listen to me repeating stuff and just not doing things that are 'easy listening'! But most of the time at home I play acoustically which is such a real pleasure and the real reason I practice! If you have room then keep the acoustic, or if you can't then try a digital piano which won't take up so much room either - but get good headphones. Good luck, tough decisions!

#2508865 - 02/09/16 06:33 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Cheryl,

Sorry to hear you're in one of those rough periods we all seem to pass through now and then. Hopefully setting aside the pieces that were proving troublesome will allow you to get over this bump in the road.

Even worse to have it compounded by neighbor/acoustic vs digital issues.

I can understand your frustration... Mrs JimF has days when my piano is an icepick in her ear. Usually she doesn't say anything, but I can hear it in the way she breathes and walks around the house. It really affects my concentration and usually I have to give up practicing in frustration on those days. I can't imagine how frustrating it would be to have to think about the neighbors every time I sat down.

I hope you can keep the acoustic, because I know how good you can sound on it. Does your teacher have an opinion on silent system vs digital?

Best,

Giacomo

Estonia L190 #7284

#2508883 - 02/09/16 09:08 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: JimF]
malkin Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Originally Posted By JimF
... Mrs JimF has days when my piano is an icepick in her ear...

Oh dear. This must be hard for both of you!

Fortunately, Brewer (says he) does not mind my practice, and puts in ear buds to do whatever he is doing. Right now there are a lot of repetitions of jumps and blocked runs to get Grieg's dwarfs fit for their marching orders. I'm rather tired of listening to it, but I told my teacher that as long as he didn't give up on it and I wasn't injured that I wouldn't give up on it.

Cas--worrying about neighbors is awful--you never know what's up with them.

#2509362 - 02/11/16 04:17 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Hi Giacomo,
Thanks for the encouragement. It's such an emotional journey - we have so many hopes and ambitions and ....let's face it, as adults we are constantly fighting the "I really should be able to do this, and do it well" syndrome!

Yes, my teacher has an opinion. He thinks that digitals are not pianos and doesn't remotely encourage abandoning the acoustic. (No surprise really smile I think that's why I talked to him about it ) -- he also gave me the name of his tuner who may be able to advise me on why my piano doesn't seem to hold its tuning very well. We shall see.

It must be really hard on both you and your wife if she is so sensitive to the sounds of your playing. Hard to find balance that makes everyone happy. Obviously you know how to work with each other and support each other's needs.

Malkin - good luck with those dwarfs!
And yes, the neighbours (well, just the daughter actually) really are my nightmare.
Fortunately the neigbours on the other side actually LOVE my playing. That helps!

My rather negative AOTW is that I seem to have done something rather terrible to my left shoulder. I can barely move my arm. I saw my osteopath yesterday and he thinks I have a problem with my rotator cuff. I am going back this morning and, as it is worse than yesterday, I think he's going to send me for an ultrasound. sigh. I am a bit worried about this.

XVIII-XL
Follow your teacher's instructions and practice wisely/much, and you'll soon wonder how you ever found it hard. BobPickle
Performance anxiety: make it part of your daily routine and deal with it...Cope! zrtf90

#2509396 - 02/11/16 07:59 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
malkin Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By casinitaly
...Yes, my teacher has an opinion. He thinks that digitals are not pianos and doesn't remotely encourage abandoning the acoustic. (No surprise really smile I think that's why I talked to him about it )

Maybe this is your subconscious taking care of you. smile

Ack--good luck with your shoulder! I had an injured rotator cuff that got better without surgery, but it did limit movement for about 18 months!

#2509422 - 02/11/16 09:39 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
jotur Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Don't get rid of the acoustic! (or at least an acoustic) laugh I'd give my eye teeth for a good one (there's only one key that doesn't hold it's tune, but I use it a lot frown )

I vote for a keyboard in addition if worse comes to worse, tho the clacking of the keys if the sound is turned down can be a surprise laugh

Practice like you are the worst; play like you are the best - anonymous

#2509703 - Yesterday at 06:39 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

I'm starting to move away from the idea of getting rid of the acoustic. My heart wasn't really in it, I was just fed up with feeling guilty and the tuning issues.

One thing I'm trying now is just "playing" on the acoustic - not doing practice on it.
I figure "how the neighbours object to playing"? smile (so immodest, I know).

I'm also going to call the tuner my teacher suggested and see what he says.

My shoulder is somewhat improved. Yesterday was the worst. I couldn't do anything! My osteopath saw me again and today I'm in pretty good shape. I will have an ultrasound to see if there is any internal damage to the rotator cuff.

XVIII-XL

#2509734 - Yesterday at 08:46 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
SwissMS Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Casinitaly - I am glad that your shoulder is feeling better. That is scary stuff. Good luck with the ultrasound!

#2509746 - Yesterday at 09:10 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Good news C, hope it continues to improve.

Oh, and re Mrs JimF's icepick days.... not to worry, fortunately they only seem to happen once a month or so. I can't really beef about anything... the other 29 days she puts up with a lot of noise coming out of my piano without complaint and even the occasional compliment.

Estonia L190 #7284

#2509780 - Yesterday at 10:46 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Moonsh1ne Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Well I don't know if this is much of an achievement, but I went to the Chinese New Year event at Steinway Hall last night, and spoke with Jiaxin Tian, who thought she recognized me and mistaken me for a musician.

At least maybe I look like a musician ha Good thing she didn't hear me butcher anything on the piano beforehand.

#2509963 - Yesterday at 07:23 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Hello just checking in from Denver airport on my way back home. Too much traveling and too little time to practice. Miss you all and be part of the forum. Someday!
Solo - Beethoven Op 14 #2, Mendelssohn Op 16 three fantasies #2 scherzo allegro Vivace, Bach Toccata in E minor, BWV914 and Scriabin Op 11 #2

#2509978 - Yesterday at 08:10 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: FarmGirl]
malkin Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Welcome home!

Page 288 of 288 < 1 2 286 287 288

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
(ad 125) Sweetwater $5700 Giveaway
Sweetwater Giveaway
(ad) Yamaha CP Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP Stage Pianos - Learn More
(ad) Summer Keys
Summer Keys, a Music Adventure in Lubec, Maine
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
Wessell Nickel & Gross
Ad (the Piano Store)
the Piano Store - Restored Steinway Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
playing minuets
by iamanders
30 minutes 41 seconds ago
Awkward songs and time spent!
by peterws
Today at 04:43 AM
Weird Pianoworld Internet Problem Solved
by JohnSprung
Today at 03:46 AM
ABC of Piano Playing (Berlin) to Celebration Series
by suu
Today at 12:25 AM
Please help evaluate pin block & bridges
by Bez
Yesterday at 09:47 PM
Forum Stats
82,572 Registered Members
44 Forums
170,461 Topics
2,494,880 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2016 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission