Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Yamaha CP4 Rebate
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
69 registered (anamnesis, ando, beet31425, beeboss, accordeur, AZ_Astro, 17 invisible), 893 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 264 of 264 < 1 2 262 263 264
Topic Options
#2401173 - 03/22/15 03:14 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
PhilipInChina Online   sleepy
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: China
I am now able to memorise a few simple pieces. I won't pretend it is easy but I am confident it will become easier as those particular neurons start firing.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2401177 - 03/22/15 03:37 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
RaggedKeyPresser Online   content

And it can be an interesting journey...
The Grand Conservatory method for the piano,1885 edition. Chopin Op.28 No.15

#2401187 - 03/22/15 04:07 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: RaggedKeyPresser]
SwissMS Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
I had a good lesson last week and received a "pass" on Chopin Nocturne in C# minor and a "very nicely played". I still have some polishing to do, before I make a final recording, and this is one I definitely want to keep in my repertoire. It should be my May quarterly recital piece as well. I was pleased with the fact that this one came together faster than previous nocturnes, and that I can play it without looking away from the score, and also from memory. That is a first for me. In the past, I have always had to memorise and watch my hands, because of the the large jumps in most nocturnes. This one, I learned by keeping my eyes on the score, and it really paid off! I never lost touch with the score, never had a problem with getting lost. Learning that skill is my AOTW.

We are starting Sinfonia #11 in G minor next, which will be one of my exam pieces. It will be my first Sinfonia, and I absolutely love it. It should be fun!

#2401308 - 03/22/15 02:07 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Stubbie Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Midwest USA
PhilipInChina, congrats on getting some pieces into memory. It's a good skill to have in your toolbox.

SwissMS, nice work, getting a "pass" on the nocturne and working totally from the score. Another nice tool to have on hand.

My AOTW: We went shopping for an acoustic yesterday. We're aiming for a grand in the 5 1/2 to 6 foot range, based on budget and space considerations. There's a lot more shopping and playing to be done, but we took the necessary first step! I'm excited!

#2401328 - 03/22/15 03:07 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
wimpiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Thanks all for your nice words, I appreciate it very much. @JimF, I wish your parents the very best. They're the age of my grandparents for whom it has also been a tremendous loss. My mother was only 57.

@Philip, good work! Memorizing is hard!
@SwissMs wow, a Chopin Nocturne!
@Stubby, hardly anything beats a new piano! Good luck and make sure you're well informed. the Piano Forum is a good resource ans so is PianoBuyer.

Schimmel 116 S ....

#2401404 - 03/22/15 07:34 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Ben Boule Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
This was an exciting week for us, Friday we had a rental Yamaha P22 delivered. It's 25 years old but seems to be in pretty great shape, the dealer tuned & regulated it quite nicely.

I can't believe how nice it is to play on an acoustic at home!

#2402697 - 03/26/15 04:11 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
I keep you people in mind, always. Wish you all the best.
A little update on my health. It appears I'm in the process of rising from the grave again. Did it 11 years ago. Doing it again.
I don't think you all are interested in hearing my whining on all the details. Am starting to get back on piano. Can sit in a new chair with heating pad on my lower back. All in all. Am not doing great. But definitely better.
Just want to say Hi. I appreciate all the well wishes from the last time I posted. Yes, I did see them.

#2402699 - 03/26/15 04:28 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Stubbie]
peterws Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
"My AOTW: We went shopping for an acoustic yesterday. We're aiming for a grand in the 5 1/2 to 6 foot range, based on budget and space considerations. There's a lot more shopping and playing to be done, but we took the necessary first step! I'm excited!"

Not surprised! I reckon the size is perfect for sound and playability! Have fun!

""

#2402711 - 03/26/15 05:09 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: rnaple]
earlofmar Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By rnaple
I keep you people in mind, always. Wish you all the best.
A little update on my health. It appears I'm in the process of rising from the grave again. Did it 11 years ago. Doing it again.
I don't think you all are interested in hearing my whining on all the details. Am starting to get back on piano. Can sit in a new chair with heating pad on my lower back. All in all. Am not doing great. But definitely better.
Just want to say Hi. I appreciate all the well wishes from the last time I posted. Yes, I did see them.

wishing you all the best Ron, we are missing your distinctive voice in the forum so hope you do make a return one day.

#2402771 - 03/26/15 10:02 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Ron - please do keep in touch. I'm sorry it's such a haul for you, but I'm glad you're still around smile Hope it gets better and better for you - I'm always interested in how the piano system is working.

Lots of good thoughts coming your way - you're certainly valued here -

Cathy

#2403062 - 03/27/15 07:19 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Good to hear of your health and piano resurrection, Ron. Welcome home! thumb

Estonia L190 #7284

#2403170 - 03/27/15 12:06 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: JimF]
SwissMS Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
I am glad to hear that your health is improving and you are playing piano again! Welcome back!

#2403176 - 03/27/15 12:15 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
wimpiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Good to have you back Ron!

Schimmel 116 S ....

#2403347 - 03/27/15 09:58 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: wimpiano]
BrianDX Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: First Town, First State
Falling behind on my newly assigned pieces. I'll try to do another "six hour challenge" this weekend to try to prepare for Monday's lesson.
Current: Hava Nagila (AR), The Tempest (N. Faber) (OC)

#2403544 - Yesterday at 12:02 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Dave Androos Offline

I started learning Ravel's 'Pavane pour une infante defunte' last night.

I absolutely love Ravel's music and this is my first attempt at learning something of his.

Very happy to get familiar with the first 5 bars smile I posted the audio on Soundcloud.

https://soundcloud.com/daveandrews82/maurice-ravel-pavane-pour-une-infante-defunte-bars-1-5

#2403547 - Yesterday at 12:11 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: peterws]
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

Loc: Toronto
Wishing you well, Ron.

Originally Posted By peterws
"My AOTW: We went shopping for an acoustic yesterday. We're aiming for a grand in the 5 1/2 to 6 foot range, based on budget and space considerations. There's a lot more shopping and playing to be done, but we took the necessary first step! I'm excited!"

What up wit dat? Though you were pro digital, Peter. I'm excited for ya too. Keep us posted eh.

Edit: Congratulations, Stubbie rather. Sorry peterws. Perhaps you will still get a grand one day though. smile

Edited by Greener (Yesterday at 01:05 PM)
Edit Reason: should have read further first .....

#2403591 - Yesterday at 01:54 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Sand Tiger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
Rnaple, good to see your pixels again.
Stubbie, a grand piano? Congrats on moving towards that upgrade.
Ben Boule, congrats on your new acoustic rental.

Sounds like a few folks have been going through a piano funk. I remain in a similar boat. What has changed is that I am no longer stressing about the reduced practice time. It is what it is.

During the past couple of weeks, I attend a concert featuring clarinet, piano and cello. At another event, the church coffehouse, there is a singer songwriter with two keyboards. She has to be her own roadie most of the time and has a 50 pound keyboard plus another 25 pound one. Yikes! I couldn't even do that part of being a musician (lifting a 50 pound keyboard), much less play, and sing.

On some songs she plays the bass part on the upper keyboard, the melody on the lower, sings, and keeps time with the percussion. Four things! Many of us beginners can barely handle the one thing. I think that some minds tend to be better at this multitasking than others.

I bought a tote bag from the singer-songwriter with her theme "Peace Through Music." The curious can hear some tracks at:
http://karie.com/

#2403766 - Yesterday at 09:44 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Moonsh1ne Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
We organized and hosted a neighborhood recital today. Whew. Two of my kids played among other kids and I played among other adults. Didn't feel as nervous as the previous time, so there's definitely some improvement. Might also help that it was my piano smile

Highlight of the evening was my next door neighbor's daughter (she's a junior in HS) playing the Revolutionary Etude. Gave us all something to aspire to.

Page 264 of 264 < 1 2 262 263 264

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
circle of 5ths coaster
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Hal Leonard Teacher VIP
Hal Leonard Teacher VIP Your Source for Piano Music
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A Visit to the Wizard's Workshop (trip report)
by phantomFive
03/29/15 03:24 AM
HELP!!! PIANO COLLEGUE REVIEW ON THESE PROGESSIONS…
by piano_primo_1
03/29/15 12:26 AM
$2600 For a 1980 Kawai KG-2C 5' 10" Grand?
by ANMiller
03/29/15 12:07 AM
Best Books for Piano Technique
by Batuhan
03/28/15 11:38 PM
Yamaha P-90 Power Issue
by JlMoriart
03/28/15 09:29 PM
What's Hot!!
Trade Regrets: Gary Trafton - Piano Rep
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
78,692 Registered Members
43 Forums
162,788 Topics
2,389,667 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission