Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1631164 - 03/02/11 02:19 AM Re: I played Roland FP-7F today - very nice action! [Re: kishonti]
JIM1944 Offline

Loc: Philippines
Hello everyone,
I've ordered my FP-7F WHITE from Yupangco in Manila all is well. It sure is nice to hear the young people practicing and playing during my work day here in the Philippines. Notation is very good and the time couldn't be better! Play every day.
JIM

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#1631460 - 03/02/11 01:59 PM Re: I played Roland FP-7F today - very nice action! [Re: JIM1944]
limavady Offline

Loc: California
While everyone is opening Pandora's boxes I may as well too...if i was going to get another DP I would take into heavy consideration one that had the less thud when the key is bottoming. It's not really an issue when using headphones but if i'm playing through the speakers i can hear this thud and of course when i'm playing with headphones others in the house hear just the thud...this is on my yamaha p155 but in past discussions the Rolands have been mentioned as having this achilles heel as well. It seems the kawai's are the one which are best at having dealt with this issue and so i'm wondering how their models (cp33...?) might compare to the fp-7f in other regards, sound, feel etc., seeing that they apparently win out in the 'lack of thud' department.

#1631481 - 03/02/11 02:24 PM Re: I played Roland FP-7F today - very nice action! [Re: limavady]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: limavady
While everyone is opening Pandora's boxes I may as well too...if i was going to get another DP I would take into heavy consideration one that had the less thud when the key is bottoming. It's not really an issue when using headphones but if i'm playing through the speakers i can hear this thud and of course when i'm playing with headphones others in the house hear just the thud...this is on my yamaha p155 but in past discussions the Rolands have been mentioned as having this achilles heel as well. It seems the kawai's are the one which are best at having dealt with this issue and so i'm wondering how their models (cp33...?) might compare to the fp-7f in other regards, sound, feel etc., seeing that they apparently win out in the 'lack of thud' department.

The CP33 is a Yamaha. I think you're thinking of the Kawai CN33. I'd think the FP-7F is amongst the better DPs in sound and feel. It's a killer little home piano for the money.

"Be who you are and say how you feel. Because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

#1631488 - 03/02/11 02:32 PM Re: I played Roland FP-7F today - very nice action! [Re: kishonti]
mezzie Offline

Loc: New York, NY
I love my FP-7F but it wakes my wife up with the key thudding when I play after-hours with headphones. And the keyboard is in the living room while the master bedroom is one floor up and down the hall. So I'm just trying to convince her to stay up later smile
Bach WTC 1: #1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 17, 21
Chopin - Ballade #1, looking for a Nocturne

Used to play
Rachmaninoff Prelude in g#-
Scarlatti C+ Sonata
Scriabin easy Preludes
Beethoven easier Sonatas

I also enjoy jazz, my compositions and songs.

#1631509 - 03/02/11 02:56 PM Re: I played Roland FP-7F today - very nice action! [Re: kishonti]
limavady Offline

Loc: California
PianoZac, yes the kawai CN33, my mistake. ---I'm not in a position to be considering a purchase at this time (but maybe that's a good thing for more objective comparison!) but this is what I'd be weighing. As mezzie says the thud is something that can be noticed. On my P155 i mostly play with headphones but when no one's around I unplug those to get the vibe of playing in the room (with the cat and doggie as my audience!)---Then at times the thud will bother me and other times I'll hardly seem to be aware of it. Just hate to put that consideration ahead of sound and touch but have to admit for me anyway it is up there at any rate.

#1632138 - 03/03/11 02:59 AM Re: I played Roland FP-7F today - very nice action! [Re: mezzie]
Phunker Offline

Hahaha ..... love the solution ... just make your wife tired smile

My Bandcamp Page

#1632601 - 03/03/11 03:35 PM Re: I played Roland FP-7F today - very nice action! [Re: JFP]
JHbackingtracks Offline

I wish it would be a firmware fix.... but I've been in contact with Roland for the past 3-4 months about this issue, and I just keep being fobbed off by Japan about the problem.... and it sounds like nothing is going to be fixed, as it's a problem with the actual processor (hardware) so they can't really do anything. I'm in contact with the head technician from the UK, and I've been talking to him.... and I finally got a message from the guy today saying how nothing will probably be done, and that the problem doesn't happen with the FP-7F.

So nice to hear theres no problems with the FP processor... I'll have to try one out for myself obviously, but I'm very annoyed that I'm 'downgrading' because i'm going to loose a lot of features... and it really has annoyed me, as I have a perfect stage piano sitting there but with this one big issue. It seems to be a problem with just the RD's processors that can't handle SN pianos....

What would you suggest I do???

Thanks smile

Edited by JHbackingtracks (03/04/11 10:11 AM)

#1632627 - 03/03/11 04:10 PM Re: I played Roland FP-7F today - very nice action! [Re: kishonti]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

JHbackingtracks, if you don't mind moving the extra 14lbs, I'd suggest you look at the MP10. I think probably even better action, with really good piano voices, and all the features you need.

"Be who you are and say how you feel. Because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

#1632813 - 03/03/11 07:42 PM Re: I played Roland FP-7F today - very nice action! [Re: kishonti]
Kawai James Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
JHbackingtracks, I hate to sound like the forum police, but did you ask the Roland chap if you could repost this private correspondence on a public forum?

If you did, and he's has no problems, that's perfectly fine. However, if you didn't, I suggest it would be courteous to edit your message and wait for his approval.

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1632966 - 03/03/11 10:29 PM Re: I played Roland FP-7F today - very nice action! [Re: JHbackingtracks]
luisdent Offline

Originally Posted By: JHbackingtracks
due to the fact it’s a hardware (CPU speed)

I have played two different roland rd700nx stage pianos here, and this problem didn't exist in for me. I used pianos wet and dry of all three models and had absolutely no problems. I couldn't reproduce the issue at all. I played fast notes and chords in the same manner and everything was fine. So either they fixed it a while ago, or something else is wrong. :-/

This also makes me questions roland's support personnel knowledge. To my ears it sounds like it's probably not processing issues. I've heard other sampled instruments with similar issues that were considered to be running normally. It is usually related to the release sample's decay time or 'cutoff', or however roland's release system works.

It sounds like there is a setting or something that is wrong causing a faster than normal release decay time. I would try resetting the board to factory defaults. And if that doesn't work maybe it is a defective model?

I'm not sure if any of this helps, but the model I played was a dream. I hope the issue is gone by now, because I plan on possibly getting this over the fp-7f for live shows...

Edited by luisdent (03/03/11 10:34 PM)

#1633248 - 03/04/11 10:08 AM Re: I played Roland FP-7F today - very nice action! [Re: kishonti]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

It is a shame that RD-700NX has any type issue with the processor, because the NX is an outstanding board. I think for those unhappy with the issue should look into the MP10 hard for an 'acoustic-like' experience. I'd say Kawai's RM3 Wooden action/keys is the best (AG not withstanding) reproduction of grand piano action out in a digital piano, not to mention the UPHI in the MP10 has produced some outstanding sounding pianos. Just a thought for those wanting that acoustic vibe...

#1633252 - 03/04/11 10:14 AM Re: I played Roland FP-7F today - very nice action! [Re: Kawai James]
JHbackingtracks Offline

Thanks for the heads up wink

have edited it!

Thanks

#1633266 - 03/04/11 10:25 AM Re: I played Roland FP-7F today - very nice action! [Re: PianoZac]
JHbackingtracks Offline

It really is a shame, because to me the Roland was perfect for everything I wanted to do, expect this problem.

I don't particularly like the look of the Kawai (as in the way it looks) But I suppose it's not really about that, but after being used to a Roland... Will I still be able to completely edit my sounds (like the piano designer and electric piano designer etc.) and save custom patches that I can go through in a live show?? I think the main thing is the audio playback feature, it was nice being able to assign a foot pedal to trigger a backing track on the Roland... and I really liked the look of the audio key, shame it was taken away on the NX from the GX. However, Roland don't seem to be able to handle running audio and keeping 128 note polyphony, why it has to compromise it, I don't know!

I've been used to doing live shows on 'mainstage' that comes with Logic on my mac, and yes it uses more processing power running a backing track, but it certainly doesn't cut down my polyphony... the FP seems to do a lot of the RD features, and I like how it has SN pianos (But will they be the SAME or as good as the NX pianos I don't know) I could probably live with NON SN electric pianos, and the other sounds will be similar I guess, but I'll really miss having access to knobs and faders and being able to quicky press buttons to get to where I want to be etc. So really not sure what I should do... but what ever I do end up doing, I'm going to test these keyboards to the max while trying them out.

I'm really disappointed in Roland, all the hassle this has caused me, being my first Roland keyboard.... Aren't Roland supposed to be like the APPLE MAC of keyboard world!!??

#1633395 - 03/04/11 01:52 PM Re: I played Roland FP-7F today - very nice action! [Re: JHbackingtracks]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'm really disappointed in Roland, all the hassle this has caused me, being my first Roland keyboard.... Aren't Roland supposed to be like the APPLE MAC of keyboard world!!??

No, the competition between Yamaha, Roland, Kawai, Korg, and Nord is much much closer than the Apple to PC competition, with Apple being the obviously superior platform. wink Gotta love Mac!

#1634057 - 03/05/11 11:04 AM Re: I played Roland FP-7F today - very nice action! [Re: PianoZac]
JHbackingtracks Offline

Originally Posted By: PianoZac

No, the competition between Yamaha, Roland, Kawai, Korg, and Nord is much much closer than the Apple to PC competition, with Apple being the obviously superior platform. wink Gotta love Mac!

Haha, couldn't agree more laugh

#1634285 - 03/05/11 04:23 PM Re: I played Roland FP-7F today - very nice action! [Re: PianoZac]
Rimmer Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Originally Posted By: PianoZac

Gotta love Mac!

My girlfriend thinks i'm a Mac fan boy. Been struggling with that recently.. mad

My FP-7F and MacBook Pro get on like a house on fire.. thumb

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
127 registered (A Guy, a-z0-9, ajames, 39 invisible), 1476 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75569 Members
42 Forums
156240 Topics
2294589 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What piano do i have?
by allana
07/28/14 11:43 PM
Moving to Intermediate Level
by Gisele
07/28/14 11:15 PM
Mixer
by doremi
07/28/14 10:48 PM
Digital keyboard actions and price range question.
by Indra123
07/28/14 10:44 PM
First-time piano buyer: budget under 10k
by Michael101467
07/28/14 10:13 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission