Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 17 of 17 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17
Topic Options
#2284024 - 06/01/14 05:22 AM Re: What think technicians about of max's temperament? [Re: Maximillyan]
Maximillyan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: KZ
Dear technicians. For me it is very important your opinion and your evaluation. Today I found this video on the network. It was 04.11. 2014. This is three weeks before my tuning two grand piano in a school
http://youtu.be/jLuhfKt5Kjg
Is there a positive dynamics of my corrections in my tuning? Or it does not was?
http://youtu.be/GdhCjtzJoRY
Regards,Max

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#2285164 - 06/03/14 12:33 PM Re: What think technicians about of max's temperament? [Re: Maximillyan]
rxd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, England
Max, could your spread in the unisons be a conscious or subconscious attempt to ameliorate the harsh tone quality of these pianos? Good unisons only serve to focus the harshness and hardness of the hammers but tuning poor unisons doesn't really solve the problem. It only disguises it while creating another.

While it is possible for a highly skilled pianist to produce a variety of more acceptable tone qualities even from these pianos, some tone regulation that keeps most of the attack but increases depth of tone and removes the hardness (clankiness) from the tone would make the pianists' work easier while retaining their ability to manipulate the tone quality as they play.

Well practiced as the pianists on your videos are, tone quality is not uppermost in their minds.

This is highly skilled work that can be practiced on old hammers before they are replaced or on a piano that is on its last legs anyway and could only be improved while gaining experience.

There are some single needle techniques mentioned recently that you could practice. Each hammer will be of uneven hardness so deal with only those hammers that are the loudest first after sanding all the hammers as close to the original shape as you can.
Practice on old spent uprights first so that you develop a good idea of what you are doing.

As you improve the tone, see how much you can also improve your unisons.

Eschew obfuscation.

#2285285 - 06/03/14 05:32 PM Re: What think technicians about of max's temperament? [Re: Maximillyan]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
ALso, with a so hard tone, the ear get tired an "forget" to listen to the hard attack (unless you play very softly)

I agree the defects of voicing may be very apparent once the piano is tuned, . That is what help to voice efficiently, the harshness can be a little reduced by unison eventually but that is not worth the effort.

It is clearly hear that you have tried to even the tone. That mean that you gained some mastering of the lever manipulation, which is good.

I think that massaging the hammers with pliers could help to hear better what need to be voiced, because it will "close" the tone somehow and make the shoulders more supple.

Hardness will still be present but more sustained tone will show you the way.
Just try on one hammer on a too clear note for instance.
Pliers will at the same time free the crown and ad some resiliency to the shoulders (temporarely unfortunately)

Edited by Olek (06/03/14 10:17 PM)

#2285374 - 06/03/14 09:36 PM Re: What think technicians about of max's temperament? [Re: Maximillyan]
Maximillyan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

My dear teachers, Isaac & RXD.
I'm very happy for your complete answers. Hope this will help me continue my work. Today I will study ALL. Now a lot of work in the garden. I shall hard work in the vegetable beds to survive in future.
I will very carefully study your every word.
Regards Max

#2285987 - 06/05/14 08:27 AM Re: What think technicians about of max's temperament? [Re: rxd]
Maximillyan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: rxd
Max, could your spread in the unisons be a conscious or subconscious attempt to ameliorate the harsh tone quality of these pianos? Good unisons only serve to focus the harshness and hardness of the hammers but tuning poor unisons doesn't really solve the problem. It only disguises it while creating another.

While it is possible for a highly skilled pianist to produce a variety of more acceptable tone qualities even from these pianos, some tone regulation that keeps most of the attack but increases depth of tone and removes the hardness (clankiness) from the tone would make the pianists' work easier while retaining their ability to manipulate the tone quality as they play.

Well practiced as the pianists on your videos are, tone quality is not uppermost in their minds.

This is highly skilled work that can be practiced on old hammers before they are replaced or on a piano that is on its last legs anyway and could only be improved while gaining experience.

There are some single needle techniques mentioned recently that you could practice. Each hammer will be of uneven hardness so deal with only those hammers that are the loudest first after sanding all the hammers as close to the original shape as you can.
Practice on old spent uprights first so that you develop a good idea of what you are doing.

As you improve the tone, see how much you can also improve your unisons.

Good day,my dear,rxd.
Rather, I did it more than consciously. Should also be noted that at first I was taken aback and did not know how to act when I did found that grands . it's public playing was not enough time for me tuning before. Between two grand pianos had bad tones. I took a chance and made it's as soon as possible. I understand that you are all well noted many things about my tuning here.But I had still huge difficulties. Especially with " Petrof ", who refused to had good unison. I am very slowly builded each unison repeatedly checking and verifying hearing effect of their actions. City audience was satisfied with my sound , but I realize that this is not something that should be at the city concert. A sound must better .
Yes , the ladies pianist deserve better sound. And they did play a super class for these unsightly pianos , I think so. You correctly pointed out that I tried was only a " hidden flaws " but I could not make a good pitch ( Good unisons only serve to focus the harshness and hardness of the hammers but tuning poor unisons doesn't really solve the problem. It only disguises it while creating another). But I made a try it's
To improve the piano sound by improving the technical properties of the hammer , I shall read certainly about needles and grinding , etc. I have their own training , I 'll just make for junk on the piano , as you recommend ( that you develop a good idea of &#8203;&#8203;what you are doing and understand it's . )
Perhaps improve their own unison will help improve my whole tuning. I sure hope so .
Regards, Max

#2285994 - 06/05/14 08:39 AM Re: What think technicians about of max's temperament? [Re: Olek]
Maximillyan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Olek
ALso, with a so hard tone, the ear get tired an "forget" to listen to the hard attack (unless you play very softly)

I agree the defects of voicing may be very apparent once the piano is tuned, . That is what help to voice efficiently, the harshness can be a little reduced by unison eventually but that is not worth the effort.

It is clearly hear that you have tried to even the tone. That mean that you gained some mastering of the lever manipulation, which is good.

I think that massaging the hammers with pliers could help to hear better what need to be voiced, because it will "close" the tone somehow and make the shoulders more supple.

Hardness will still be present but more sustained tone will show you the way.
Just try on one hammer on a too clear note for instance.
Pliers will at the same time free the crown and ad some resiliency to the shoulders (temporarely unfortunately)

I shall read ALL your german link. Thank your very much, Isaac. And I soon shall find this pliers as on pictures

#2308430 - 07/29/14 09:40 AM Re: What think technicians about of max's temperament? [Re: Maximillyan]
Maximillyan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Max has some confusion about this
Published the results of the International Music Competition "SILVER PASSAGE" 2013-2014.(International Arts Festival
Competition and Exhibition Project)
http://start-culture.com/results/passage-2013-2014

According to the results Mary Sidorovich is Laureate First degree. Instrumental Performance (Piano)
http://youtu.be/9uRD9oYM4IQ
http://youtu.be/lbIidg8wJmc
Then all tuners spoke: "the piano does not have the temperament." Max knows that does have some flaws and bad beats in the choruses. But why noble jury of music professors give Mary the highest score? Perhaps their charmed nor only Mary's manner of play but also Max's temperament of "Yamaha" . And what do you think about it?

Edited by Maximillyan (07/29/14 09:41 AM)

Page 17 of 17 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
130 registered (aesop, amv256, anamnesis, *windowlicker*, acortot, 37 invisible), 1474 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75907 Members
42 Forums
156873 Topics
2305057 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Baldwin BJ124; Are Baldwins still quality?
by Benn
08/22/14 07:30 PM
Tuning levers
by AaronM
08/22/14 07:17 PM
Buying a Piano
by boppy75
08/22/14 06:24 PM
Midi file format on Roland Piano Partner App
by Banzai_Ed
08/22/14 05:58 PM
Imperial Concert 61 Phase Piano
by DanPianjo
08/22/14 05:34 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission