Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1990605 - 11/25/12 07:43 AM Piano shopping
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Holmes Chapel
Being very much a beginner I'm not sure what to look for.

But when buying stuff I usually bring somebody in the know. I am in the know about motorbikes, cars and cookers.

Would it be appropriate to bring your piano teacher to go look for an acoustic piano? I'm assuming its probably going to be at the rate you pay for lessons?

Or is it totally subjective? I was looking at a few dwarf pianos the other day and the touch felt absolutely horrible, the sound was WORSE than my Casio and this was in a pretty big dealer.

I find I can sort of adjust my playing to the weight of the keys, the bechstein and steinway being incredibly light. The Casio and Kembles being rather heavier.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1990613 - 11/25/12 08:09 AM Re: Piano shopping [Re: justpin]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
The best general and unbiased information about pianos is in the Piano Buyer(see free link in the left column). Your teacher could also be helpful, the degree of help depending on his playing skill and knowledge of pianos. The dealer or salesperson can also be helpful at least about the makes they sell.

Since you are unfamiliar with pianos and are a beginning pianist, take some time to become familiar with pianos before making a decision. Many people visit dealers many times and play at length each time before making a decision. Since you have been playing a keyboard, many of the acoustic pianos you try may sound terrific, but don't be tempted to just buy the first one that appeals to you. The most important considerations are usually considered to be touch and tone.

If you indicate your approximate budget and whether you are looking for a vertical or grand, you will get many suggestions fro PW members.

#1990642 - 11/25/12 10:15 AM Re: Piano shopping [Re: justpin]
Chopinlover49 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NY and NC
My advice is similar to pianoloverus but with an additional warning. Many sales people will tell you how wonderful this 40 year old spinet is, or tell you that a very old upright they have on consignment is just right for you. Most pianos they have on consignment are ones they wouldn't buy outright themselves because they are needing work or too old or whatever. Spinets and the larger console pianos have nothing in common. Stay away from spinets. (If you really want to go cheap and you like one of the spinets you find in a shop, you can probably find someone on Craigslist practically giving one away. They are not very good pianos as a rule.) You probably will be buying an upright if you are a beginner, but if you have a larger budget, a grand piano in the six foot range is usually a better piano in many ways. It all depends on your budget, space, how serious you are about playing, and so on. Read a lot of the posts here, using the search feature. There are a lot of choices but take your time. Good luck! Keep us informed how your search is going.

#1991041 - 11/26/12 11:25 AM Re: Piano shopping [Re: justpin]
Mark VC Offline

Remember one thing: it is a whole lot easier to buy a piano than it is to sell one. Since you're very much a beginner, there is the possibility that you won't actually like it much, or make time for it, or whatever. Consider that, and consider that you can have a heck of a lot of fun, and learn a lot, with a digital piano that costs well under a thousand, super easy to move, sounds pretty nice with headphones, doesn't wake the neighbors, and can be disposed of on craigslist over a weekend. Just sayin.

#1991164 - 11/26/12 04:12 PM Re: Piano shopping [Re: justpin]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Holmes Chapel
Hmm point taken. I was very happy with my digital. Until I got to play a concert grand.....

Maybe I'll get a PX150 or something instead as the touch is a bit nicer than my CDP.

#1991195 - 11/26/12 05:48 PM Re: Piano shopping [Re: justpin]
jdw Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
If you feel drawn to the acoustics, I think you'll be much happier if you go ahead and get one. A good piano will call to you and ask to be played smile !

I don't think you have to worry about losing interest, especially given that you've been interested enough so far to spend time on this forum! I think people are much likelier to get discouraged when they don't have an instrument that furthers their aspirations.

(NB I have zero financial interest in the sale of acoustic pianos smile )
Mozart, K 330
Brahms, Op. 118 no. 2

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
138 registered (Abby Pianoman, anotherscott, ABC Vermonter, Acevle, ajames, 38 invisible), 1685 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75602 Members
42 Forums
156313 Topics
2295734 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano software without sheet music
by OneSixty
07/31/14 06:05 PM
Transcribing Music
by Tigero
07/31/14 05:31 PM
Yamaha P-105 or the Casio PRIVIA px-135?
by Acevle
07/31/14 05:30 PM
Another reason to love the MP11
by Markarian
07/31/14 03:57 PM
Digital Piano for a Musical
by well23
07/31/14 03:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission