Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2003225 - 12/22/12 07:29 PM Re: low-use SK5 vs. restored 1901 Steinway O [Re: Robert 45]
PianoWorksATL Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted By: Robert 45
Dear LFL...A whippet is a British breed of dog!!
Stranger still, it's the street name for a can of whipped cream, used for the Nitrous Oxide high. shocked

Congrats! Your new-to-you piano will give you a natural high. grin
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2003257 - 12/22/12 09:55 PM Re: low-use SK5 vs. restored 1901 Steinway O [Re: LFL]
j&j Offline

Loc: Southwest
Congratulations on your new Shigeru! I'm sure you'll be ecstatic with it's sound and performance. No matter what you decided, the fact that you researched the options, tried different pianos, and made your choice based on your tastes, playing, and needs, means you made a well-informed decision that you can feel happy and confident about.

Please post pictures when it's delivered. Congratulations again. Fabulous Christmas present to yourself!
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." Pablo Picasso

#2003260 - 12/22/12 10:10 PM Re: low-use SK5 vs. restored 1901 Steinway O [Re: LFL]
Ed Foote Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Tennessee
Originally Posted By: LFL
Withindale--I found the "better" option, I think. After extensive (and perhaps overly analytical)financial considerations, including looking forward for 20 years, I decided to get a new SK5, instead of the used one and instead of the restored Steinway. Although it is more outlay of $$ initially, it seems like it will cost me the equivalent of (only) $400-500/year extra, over the next 20 years--taking into consideration the cost of the used SK5 plus the additional cost of regulation plus the anticipated reconditioning in 8-10 years (replacement of strings, damper felts, etc). For that, I get the Millenium III action, fancier birds-eye maple on the inner rim, longer keys, ABS-carbon fiber whippets (instead of just ABS on the 2012), reinforced key slip, the MPA visit, 10 year warranty, and a hopefully worry-free instrument for the next 20 years. The 2012 Shigeru has some presumably improved design features. Seems like an acceptable trade-off.

greetings,
Why would you think you need new strings in this piano? I have many pianos in my care with strings 60-100 years old and the strings are just fine. In fact, a number of Steinways from the '20s and 30's I care for have less false beats than brand new Steinways.

Spend your money on regulations and voicings, instead.
Regards,

#2003264 - 12/22/12 10:19 PM Re: low-use SK5 vs. restored 1901 Steinway O [Re: pianoloverus]
j&j Offline

Loc: Southwest
pianoloverus,

Quote:
I think it's misleading phrasing to say that one's piano is only as good as one's tech in the long run.
Maybe we should change it to say,
"A piano is only as good as the long term maintenance it gets by a qualified tech over its lifetime." We've all heard the sad tales of high end pianos that went for years without tuning, voicing, or regulation.
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." Pablo Picasso

#2003331 - 12/23/12 03:28 AM Re: low-use SK5 vs. restored 1901 Steinway O [Re: j&j]
Withindale Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, England
j&j
Please note I have started this thread to discuss these issues. I think they are out of place here now that the OP (who knows the importance of maintenance) has decided on a new Shigeru SK5.

#2003416 - 12/23/12 08:50 AM Re: low-use SK5 vs. restored 1901 Steinway O [Re: j&j]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: j&j
pianoloverus,

Quote:
I think it's misleading phrasing to say that one's piano is only as good as one's tech in the long run.
Maybe we should change it to say,
"A piano is only as good as the long term maintenance it gets by a qualified tech over its lifetime." We've all heard the sad tales of high end pianos that went for years without tuning, voicing, or regulation.
Not really. The condition of the piano is dependent on the care of the tech.

But if one starts out with a very poor piano no amount of tech care will make it great. And even after 20 years a sensational piano that's not played eight hours a day and is kept in an appropriate environment may very well sound much better than an inferior piano even if the the sensational piano is simply tuned once a year by a tech with average ability. Of course, it also goes without saying that more frequent care by a great tech will make it sound even better than minimal care by a tech with less skill.

Suppose you had these two choices:

Choice 1:You are given a well prepped highest quality performance grade piano(the very highest level in the Fine rankings)of your choice for free. You play it 1-2 hours a day and keep it in a room with stable humidity at the correct level. You have it tuned once year by a tech with decent but not super skill. Every ten years you can get one day of voicing and one day of regulation by the same tech. All the tech services are for free also.

Choice 2. You are given the same size intermediate level consumer grade piano for free. You play it 1-2 hours per day and keep it in a room with stable humidity. You have the services of a super tech who comes twice per year for tuning and also does lengthy regulation and voicing every 4 years for as much time is necessary. The tech services are for free.

I bet a lot of people would choose choice 1 and that their piano would sound and play far better after 20 years than those who chose the second option.

Edited by pianoloverus (12/23/12 09:12 AM)

#2003523 - 12/23/12 02:12 PM Re: low-use SK5 vs. restored 1901 Steinway O [Re: Ed Foote]
LFL Offline

Ed--thanks for your input. All I can say is that the RPT who inspected the used SK5 is VERY reputable and that is what he advised. I think, in retrospect, it was more of a "consider this" but not "you'll have to". And, he was coming from a very professional viewpoint of keeping the piano in "optimal" condition, not just "acceptable".

#2008765 - 01/03/13 10:19 PM Re: low-use SK5 vs. restored 1901 Steinway O [Re: LFL]
LFL Offline

SK-5 (new) delivered today...with assistance of a crane to reach 2nd floor of the house...video to follow.

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/IMG569.jpg

#2008772 - 01/03/13 10:49 PM Re: low-use SK5 vs. restored 1901 Steinway O [Re: LFL]
Furtwangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Danville, California
Unbelievable!

Going to see some tomorrow myself

Congratulations!!

#2009126 - 01/04/13 07:57 PM Re: low-use SK5 vs. restored 1901 Steinway O [Re: LFL]
LFL Offline

See new thread "SK5 delivered"

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
135 registered (accordeur, antony, 42 invisible), 1446 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74217 Members
42 Forums
153533 Topics
2249973 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
"Love More" Chris Brown and Nicki Minaj - Piano Cover
by Zach Evans
14 minutes 59 seconds ago
Sheet music for Philip Glass's etudes?
by Eldridge
59 minutes 9 seconds ago
Charles Walters piano
by Colleen05
Today at 07:05 PM
Why 88 keys?
by gsmonks
Today at 03:01 PM
Casio AP range advice please
by thamajor7
Today at 01:38 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission