2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
bzpiano Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Last day of 2012, this year, I am doing a ratio here:
For every $100 that I receive from parents, I only pocket $65 because $35 goes to tax and business expenses such as...

Dues
Piano books
Rent
Communication (cell phone)
Education
Office supplies
Postage
Health Insurance
Advertisement
Printing
Quarterly Tax
etc.....

I like to know if this is a healthy ratio? How about other piano teachers? What is your ratio?

Last edited by ezpiano.org; 12/31/12 09:46 PM.

Piano lessons in Irvine, CA
Follow my 4YO student here: http://bit.ly/FollowMeiY
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
I don't know if it's a healthy ratio or not.

My ratio would be higher than that, however. There are many things you listed that I don't pay for out of tuition (the money from parents/students): piano books, cell phone, education, postage, advertisement, printing.

That leaves my main expenses as rent and health insurance. My health insurance is fairly inexpensive thanks to my age, health, and the fact it's not really a very good plan.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
That seems about right. It's definitely hard to make a living with that, however. But I'm not really sure what you can do about it. Actually, the more students you have, the better the ratio, of course, because most of those expenses don't increase with an increased number of students (you'll pay the same rent, so more students means more money you get to "keep").

musicpassion: Where are you getting the money to pay for your cell phone, education, postage, advertising and printing if not from tuition?

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Are you taking all the deductions you can, for tax purposes?

Piano Teacher
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
musicpassion: Where are you getting the money to pay for your cell phone, education, postage, advertising and printing if not from tuition

Postage: I hardly mail anything. I mail a few things on behalf on our association, but those expenses are reimbursed. Correspondance to my students/families I hand out in lessons.

Advertising and Printing: these expenses are paid by recital fees/donations. Some of our recitals have a set fee, some are a donation basis. These funds pay for program printing, etc.

Cell phone: that's a personal expense. My tax expert told me I can't claim my cell phone as a business expense as I also use it for personal use. Maybe she's wrong, but I'm sticking with her advice.

Education - I assume you mean continuing education for us the teachers? I've finished my university degree some years ago and am not currently working on another. So I don't have those major expenses right now. I am certainly active in continuing my learning, but that doesn't have to cost much. Our association has free workshops, masterclasses and events designed for continuing education. And occasionaly I've taken lessons with an expert in a particular area. So I guess whatever it costs does come out of my tuition fees.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I don't think you're too far off the mark. Many of these expenses are fixed, so they do not vary with the number of students you have. An example might be rent, or heating, so increasing your teaching load has the effect of cutting the ratio, where as if you lose students, the ratio will increase.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission