Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#2154115 - 09/19/13 11:40 PM Re: "Fully Tempered Duplex Scale" Tech article coming March [Re: Ed McMorrow, RPT]
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Thank you Gary for the kind words. If you ever are in the Seattle area please try to find the time to visit my shop. I would very much enjoy showing you my pianos.

It is difficult to innovate in such a mature industry such as the piano. But the mystery of what contributes to making an instrument with a great capacity for musical expression is one that intrigues me. When I was young and just starting piano work, I kept looking for some old guy who knew all the elements. I felt sure there had to be someone who understood the physics and engineering. When events evolved that staying in university was no longer necessary to avoid going to Vietnam-I dropped out thinking that "I'll get this piano thing figured out and then I will go back to finish my chemistry degree."

I never found that "old guy" until recently-I looked in the mirror and I was OLD! But I still don't have all the questions answered-and maybe don't even know all the best questions to ask! And I still don't have a degree.

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#2154322 - 09/20/13 10:05 AM Re: "Fully Tempered Duplex Scale" Tech article coming March [Re: Ed McMorrow, RPT]
Phil D Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: London, England
Ed...

Please...

Get this invention recorded properly. It will be worth it. We're all so excited to hear it. Pretty please?

#2196015 - 12/11/13 11:23 AM Re: "Fully Tempered Duplex Scale" Tech article coming March [Re: Ed McMorrow, RPT]
LeeSumner Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yesterday a colleague and I were able to check out Ed's freshly remanufactured M&H BB (1970s vintage) which features his FTDS design. This instrument was purchased from Prossers in June of this year for a neighborhood high school performance venue. Prior to that it had received no reconditioning excepting hammer reshaping and periodic regulation. Given Ed's extensive handiwork,(new block, rescaled lower tenor and bass section(Mapes custom made strings with stainless steel wound tri-chords at the tenor/bass break), WNG shanks,Ronsen hammers, key rebalancing, reconfigured bridge thicknesses and other modifications best explained by Ed, I can't say to what extent the FTDS alone is responsible for its substantially improved clarity, power, and sustain in the last two octaves consistent with Ed's claims. I can say that in its unrestored state, from C5 up the treble displayed the problems Ed has enumerated as does the 1971 Mason A we're about to rebuild which has resisted conventional hammer mating/voicing and string leveling remedies. At the very least his FTDS which includes meticulous reshaping of the V-bar, height/alignment of agraffes and counterbearing angle adjustments has effectively eliminated any sizzles, snare drum/buzzes noises. In combination with optimizing strike point and his choice of Ronsen hammers, the tails of which he aggressively tapers to around 5 or 6 mm in the high treble (possible with WNG shanks) to lower mass, I suspect the FTDS contributes in large part to the greatly improved sustain, power, singing quality and color in the upper register. Over a range of dynamic levels the piano's tone was even, full-bodied and orchestral sounding without ever becoming strident even at fff. All in all a marvelous piano now. I will be visiting the music director at the H.S and may have more to report in a later post.
M.M. Piano Performance, Catholic University of America 1985

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
160 registered (ajames, *windowlicker*, 36251, ando, 52 invisible), 1597 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75885 Members
42 Forums
156805 Topics
2304050 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Jazz Keyboard Harmony by Phil DeGreg
by bagatelle
32 minutes 27 seconds ago
Record and Playback to-and-from Disklavier DKC55?
by dhilderbrand
46 minutes 5 seconds ago
Looking for an Android App....
by Ohio_Mark
Today at 09:17 AM
Jazz"y" improvisation/cover issues
by kobethuy
Today at 02:00 AM
Jazz"y" improvisation/cover issues
by kobethuy
Today at 01:33 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission