Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2029024 - 02/07/13 09:56 PM Re: Why do private sellers price so high? [Re: pianoloverus]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
I don't really know all the details either as I wasn't shopping at that price range, the sales person didn't really go into it. He simply ask me to play it just because he had it. It was awesome. I think it was a 225. All I know is that it was sold to the family, and once sold, the warranty is normally not transferrable. In this case, the dealer arranged with the factory to re-apply the warranty to the next owner. The family that didn't like the 225 bought something else, a 290? It's one of those unlimited resource families used to being able to return anything was my impression. I think the dealer was fine financially, but was being completely honest with the history of the piano.

What I was trying to illustrate was here is a perfectly good piano. I tried it, and it was awesome, not a scratch on the body or anything else, but it had sat in someone's home for a couple of weeks, and is no longer brand new. The factory is putting their full warranty behind it, yet, it still suffer from depreciation even though it, for what I could tell, has 100% of its life remaining. It's all perception.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2029079 - 02/08/13 12:16 AM Re: Why do private sellers price so high? [Re: PianoWorksATL]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: PianoWorksATL
However, unlike cars, a piano doesn't continually depreciate every year to nothing. After a couple of years, the price levels off, and the value during that plateau depreciates very little. In many instances, it will increase in dollar value (due to inflation) because the cost is mostly related to the cost difference from new.

That's true. It does take a piano many more years to depreciate to zero. For Steinways, they seem to be always worth something no matter how old.

#2029238 - 02/08/13 10:42 AM Re: Why do private sellers price so high? [Re: Rickster]
hmrnmky Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
I saw on CL the same Baldwin grand for sale for months at $10K, no size, model or condition mentioned in the ad. The ad finally disappeared to shortly re-appear with the same lack of information but now worth $15K. Seemed odd to me that if no one is interested at $10K why the seller suddenly thinks it is now worth $15K.

#2029250 - 02/08/13 11:20 AM Re: Why do private sellers price so high? [Re: 4evrBeginR]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: 4evrBeginR
I don't really know all the details either as I wasn't shopping at that price range, the sales person didn't really go into it. He simply ask me to play it just because he had it. It was awesome. I think it was a 225. All I know is that it was sold to the family, and once sold, the warranty is normally not transferrable. In this case, the dealer arranged with the factory to re-apply the warranty to the next owner. The family that didn't like the 225 bought something else, a 290? It's one of those unlimited resource families used to being able to return anything was my impression. I think the dealer was fine financially, but was being completely honest with the history of the piano.

What I was trying to illustrate was here is a perfectly good piano. I tried it, and it was awesome, not a scratch on the body or anything else, but it had sat in someone's home for a couple of weeks, and is no longer brand new. The factory is putting their full warranty behind it, yet, it still suffer from depreciation even though it, for what I could tell, has 100% of its life remaining. It's all perception.
I don"t think pianos drop 30% in value after two weeks.

My guess is that the dealer might have hoped you'd be interested in such a "good deal" and created a little story. Or perhaps if the people who had this piano in their home bought the piano and then traded it in for a larger one, the dealer got such a good price on the larger one he was able to offer the piano you played at a very good price.

#2029252 - 02/08/13 11:24 AM Re: Why do private sellers price so high? [Re: concertina]
Rickster Online   content

Loc: Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: hmrnmky
I saw on CL the same Baldwin grand for sale for months at $10K, no size, model or condition mentioned in the ad. The ad finally disappeared to shortly re-appear with the same lack of information but now worth $15K. Seemed odd to me that if no one is interested at $10K why the seller suddenly thinks it is now worth $15K.

I've seen this before too, particularly with dealers posing as private sellers...

I suppose the seller is more or less trying a different strategy rather than lowering the price; who knows, it may work sometimes. smile

Typically, the price is lowered rather than raised over time, unless a used piano dealer buys the piano and re-advertises it to make a profit. I’ve seen this happen before too, using the same photo of the original private seller.

I'm glad I'm not in the market to buy a pre-owned piano (unless a bargain comes along... smile )

Rick

#2029267 - 02/08/13 11:49 AM Re: Why do private sellers price so high? [Re: concertina]
Sand Tiger Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
No one mentioned the process and how markets work. Let's make a hypothetical where there are four pianos listed for sale each month. For simplicity, let us say two pianos are priced low, and two are priced high. The two that are priced low will sell quickly. The high priced ones sit.

After a year of this kind of market with no listing fees, there are 24 high priced pianos listed for sale (12 months worth) and two low priced pianos (the new ones for that month). A person new to shopping may conclude that 92% of sellers price way too high, even though in this hypothetical only 50% do so.

Real world markets are more complicated than this, but the example shows why so many highly priced pianos are listed for sale.

#2029306 - 02/08/13 01:20 PM Re: Why do private sellers price so high? [Re: concertina]
fishbulb Offline

^ exactly what Sand Tiger said.

Same thing happens with anything on Craigslist - cars, cameras, furniture, whatever.

#2029582 - 02/08/13 11:45 PM Re: Why do private sellers price so high? [Re: concertina]
J_D Offline

Loc: Texas, USA
I think some owners are under the impression the harp is made from solid gold.

#2029791 - 02/09/13 10:03 AM Re: Why do private sellers price so high? [Re: concertina]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Those would be the Lyon & Healy "Celestial."

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2030430 - 02/10/13 11:54 AM Re: Why do private sellers price so high? [Re: concertina]
flipwils11 Offline

It's good to read this thread as it helps to hear other perspective that I'm not crazy as I navigate the used piano marketplace. Determining reference prices for used pianos is very tough and I'll be honest, in almost every case where I talked to a dealer or expert like a tuner/repair person who also just happens to sell pianos on the side (hmmmm), I get a shady salesperson vibe. "With a little work this piano would be worth 5x what I'm asking".

There's a sucker born every minute right? I'm trying my best not to be one, and the advice and searches for info in this forum has really helped. Just today I cancelled an appt to look at a baby grand Yamaha (GA1) based on the helpful info I read on this forum.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
140 registered (accordeur, ajames, AndreiN, Atrys, 39 invisible), 1837 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75584 Members
42 Forums
156284 Topics
2295256 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Music competitions are rife with corruption says JLWebbr
by pianoloverus
07/30/14 02:51 PM
Midi support removed from OS X?
by fizikisto
07/30/14 02:41 PM
Some interesting finds in a museum visit today!
by LarryShone
07/30/14 01:06 PM
Help with a Bluthner
by Classicalist
07/30/14 12:54 PM
Yamaha DGX650 - looking for an alternative! Need advice
by Karinioza
07/30/14 11:51 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission