Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
110 registered (anotherscott, Anita Potter, ando, 36251, 38 invisible), 1270 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2040796 - 02/28/13 01:56 PM LH and RH co-ordination?
90abyss Offline

Hello!

I've been learning to play the piano since two months now.
Whenever I try to play any moderate song, this is what happens:
When I play only treble: Perfect
When I play only base: Perfect
When I play both simultaneously: Disaster

How do I improve the co-ordination between left hand and right hand?
Even when base and treble are going at different pace I have this tendency to mingle up the two. My left hand actually tends to imitate the finger movements of my right hand.
Is it just me or you've also experienced this? How did you cope up?

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2040801 - 02/28/13 02:01 PM Re: LH and RH co-ordination? [Re: 90abyss]
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Go as slow as necessary to be able to do it.

For example, slow as in one beat every 10 seconds.

Also, ask your teacher for help with this. Hands Together is a common piano playing obstacle, and most teachers are skilled in helping people with this.

#2040821 - 02/28/13 02:46 PM Re: LH and RH co-ordination? [Re: 90abyss]
Brian Lucas Offline
500 Post Club Member

Also you could try focusing on when the hands play alone and when they are together, instead of counting. This is sort of a "follow the bouncing ball" concept. So for a simple example, a song could go. Together, Right, Together, Left, Right, Together, Rest, Together... etc

Don't worry too much about the rhythm to start, you've already done that with hands separate. It's more about the coordination at first.
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music

#2040882 - 02/28/13 04:08 PM Re: LH and RH co-ordination? [Re: 90abyss]
Derulux Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Believe it or not, there are actually different kinds of "disaster". Knowing which one can go a long way towards solving your specific issues. Since you're a beginner-beginner, meaning very fresh to the piano (under six months), I would infer it is one of a few basic things that should work themselves out as you become more familiar with the way the hands move, the position of the keys, etc. Some may not, but that is a separate issue. (I am avoiding naming anything, because it probably won't help and may hurt more than help, but I will name one idea.)

Typically, the coordination issue happens because there are left/right movements, in/out movements, and up/down movements. Sometimes the hands move in parallel, and sometimes they move opposite each other. When they're moving together or when they're moving opposite, it's much easier to coordinate. But when they are constantly flip-flopping, this is when problems occur. (And the hands flip-flop more than they align.) There are specific techniques that help you to understand these movements better, but I am afraid I would confuse the heck out of you if I just started rattling things off with only 2 months under your belt. For now, I will say this:

rocket's advice is very good. If you can post up some videos, we may be able to get more specific. Otherwise, about the best thing we can offer is to say, "Go slower."

#2041164 - 03/01/13 04:14 AM Re: LH and RH co-ordination? [Re: 90abyss]
mabraman Online   content

Loc: Valencia, Spain
What I do is:
-Work on each measure at first, and then go for the whole phrase. If you are working on binary rithms this is very easy to do (though first weeks are a nightmare, you'll do it well soon!). Besides, beginner's sheets usually are oriented to learn movement patterns, which are simple and logical.
Try to find the logic in it, try to get relaxed, trust your brain.
-One thing that helps me a lot is to close my eyes and point my attention towards an imaginary target right in front of me (I should look at the sheet, but pieces are so simple now), I mean not paying attention to any of both hands, but to the work they do together.
So, work slower; work on one single measure/pattern until you get it; aim to the center;try to flow.(and then pray if you are the kind, or just go to sleep, your brain will do the rest).
As many others have already said, practice time is when we send data to our brains, so we'd better sending them well.

#2041175 - 03/01/13 05:42 AM Re: LH and RH co-ordination? [Re: 90abyss]
samasap Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Sounds like you need to break your music down into smaller sections. So maybe work on bar to bar or do in sections of 4 bars. If the Bass section has quite a bit going on at the same time as the treble then I'd suggest taking the first note in the bass or the note that sounds like it fits best and playing that at the start of the abr and holding down for the length of the bar i.e. if in 4/4 then hold for 4. Once it changes up in the bass then change up but as a single note held out throughout the bar.

Once we have developed the co-ordination like this as a simple arrangement and are confident of this you can then start adding in more parts.

Hope this helps!

#2041185 - 03/01/13 06:17 AM Re: LH and RH co-ordination? [Re: 90abyss]
Eglantine Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013

Loc: Another Country
I found one thing that really helped get me to deal with The Great Hands Together Problem (after 30+ years away from a keyboard) was doing some pieces where the hands share the load. In other words, where the LH always alternates notes with the RH (they never play at the same time), to create a single melody. There are probably pieces you can find at different levels that do this. [I used Bach's Preludes 846 and 999, played quite slowly, but there will be other simpler pieces that do much the same.]

I found this was a really good stepping stone, that (after learning a couple of such pieces) allowed me to then read and play both hands simultaneously.

I think part of the issue here is that you are not only having to play two hands at once, but also you are having to read two lines of music at once. Lots of stuff happening at the same time.

So, this stepping stone reduces slightly the cognitive load, as the notes are always consecutive on the page, and struck consecutively rather than simultaneously (until the final chord). And then a speeded-up consecutive approaches simultaneous.

Edited by Eglantine (03/01/13 06:20 AM)

#2041736 - 03/02/13 06:27 AM Re: LH and RH co-ordination? [Re: 90abyss]
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: 90abyss
Hello!

I've been learning to play the piano since two months now.
Whenever I try to play any moderate song, this is what happens:
When I play only treble: Perfect
When I play only base: Perfect
When I play both simultaneously: Disaster

How do I improve the co-ordination between left hand and right hand?
Even when base and treble are going at different pace I have this tendency to mingle up the two. My left hand actually tends to imitate the finger movements of my right hand.
Is it just me or you've also experienced this? How did you cope up?

I know it is frustrating but it will get better. As others have said, go slow. After 5 years of learning, even I have to work on seperate hands first especially on unfamiliar pieces.

You wait until you have to do scales with both hands together. Practice makes perfect.

Edited by adultpianist (03/02/13 06:29 AM)

#2041774 - 03/02/13 09:38 AM Re: LH and RH co-ordination? [Re: 90abyss]
malkin Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
And your HT disaster is probably quite different that when you can't play HS!

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Odd sound effect on old upright
by 661-Pete
Today at 06:38 AM
Define "atmospheric" in piano music
by Pianolism
Today at 06:18 AM
1 Hour 2-5-1 Jazz Workout Backing Track - Slow to Fast Swing
by Nahum
Today at 05:36 AM
Jools Holland wow
by Shey
Today at 05:23 AM
How to determine felt thickness without specifications?
by JoeThePro
Today at 01:09 AM
Forum Stats
77362 Members
42 Forums
160009 Topics
2349753 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission