Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2250423 - 03/22/14 10:59 AM Re: Kawai CA95 - The Inside Story, With Pictures [Re: McBuster]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Gee - has anyone noticed that this thread is a year old? Doubtful that the OP is going to respond.

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#2250528 - 03/22/14 03:10 PM Re: Kawai CA95 - The Inside Story, With Pictures [Re: McBuster]
R_B Offline

Depends... maybe it has been replaced BECAUSE of the twang thang.
At a guess this thread is still on his watched topics list, he MIGHT be interested in either warning other potential owners off, or reassuring them.
One way or another it should have reached a conclusion by now - doncha think ?

#2250865 - 03/23/14 09:33 AM Re: Kawai CA95 - The Inside Story, With Pictures [Re: McBuster]
Splash Offline

Mine is a CN-34 and I have a similar problem. F below central C has a metallic sound when is pressed hard. It is clear when not using headphones but it is gone when transposing. My opinion is that all Kawai DPs share the same sample.

#2251838 - 03/25/14 10:36 AM Re: Kawai CA95 - The Inside Story, With Pictures [Re: McBuster]
McBuster Offline

Loc: St Paul Minnesota USA
Okay fellas, after one year ...

The "Twang" is more subtle, still there, and if it aggravates me enough, I have another three-finger bourbon. And if I do not imbibe, I simply do not care anymore and simply ignore the thing. My playing is so lousy, that is the --least-- of my issues these days.

:-)

Kawai CA95
Sailor, Consultant, Gourmet, Dreamer

#2251845 - 03/25/14 10:54 AM Re: Kawai CA95 - The Inside Story, With Pictures [Re: Splash]
evamar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Spanish living in UK
Originally Posted By: Splash
Mine is a CN-34 and I have a similar problem. F below central C has a metallic sound when is pressed hard. It is clear when not using headphones but it is gone when transposing. My opinion is that all Kawai DPs share the same sample.

All that say that they share it, that is... there might be different samples depending on models/ages. It also happens with the CA65. Again, we are only talking of a handful of notes, not a biggie.

I prefer the Concert Grand 2 voice anyway, and it's almost not noticeable using it, enough for me and I'm quite picky. Even though the Concert Grand 1 is supposed to be better, it is a bit too bright for me but that's just my taste, I really like the Grand 2.

But I really cannot understand why actual faults existing in the acoustic (and that metallic ring in certain notes is a fault, not a characteristic) is reproduced in a digital, when it would be just so easy to correct it. Precisely because it is far more noticeable with speakers than it is with the acoustic. The acoustic piano might camouflage it with its rich undertones (and all those characteristics...) but it can be quite obvious in a digital using that sample, so how it will sound in the digital should be more important that how it actually sounds in the acoustic.

I thought that pianists with trained ears are extremely exigent, so really cannot understand digitals reproducing faults. Let them try to get as close as possible to the best things, but they already have their own problems as to also imitate the problems of the acoustics.

Don't get me wrong, very happy with my dp, and I still think that it offers far more than any at its price range, but I simply think that it would be much better if instead of reproducing faults the acoustic sound was adapted to sound at its best in a different medium, because a dp is not an acoustic, as simple as that.

KawaiJames, just in case you are reading this... any chance of a software update to amend those metallic notes in the sample? It should be easily done by all those clever Kawai sound engineers... laugh
Just to make it even better.... Please pass the feedback as several people seem to notice it.

Edited by evamar (03/25/14 11:02 AM)

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted
Because I actually like playing the piano in spite of the large number of mistakes I make... so many that for many people I'm just wasting my time. whome

#2251882 - 03/25/14 01:06 PM Re: Kawai CA95 - The Inside Story, With Pictures [Re: McBuster]
McBuster Offline

Loc: St Paul Minnesota USA
Just another piece of info.

As I stated in the original post, long ago, if I record to a USB Drive or wear headphones, this Twanging issue is -----not----- present. All the sampled notes sound the same in tone charm wit personality and looks.

It is -----only----- when I use the speakers/soundboard and the Tech and I deemed it a mechanical issue, not sampling nor software. One day I may open it up and find the spot ... Maybe ...

So, like so many things in "life", I have ignored it and hardly notice it any longer.

Kawai CA95
Sailor, Consultant, Gourmet, Dreamer

#2251910 - 03/25/14 02:09 PM Re: Kawai CA95 - The Inside Story, With Pictures [Re: McBuster]
evamar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Spanish living in UK
? I can still hear it with headphones (extremely cheap headphones, 15, all being said) in Concert Grand 1, but not as much as with speakers. Maybe it's a combination of both mechanical and sampling?

Anyway... even without this, I would still prefer the Concert Grand 2 voice and I don't really notice it using this voice, with our without headphones, so not really an issue for me...

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted
Because I actually like playing the piano in spite of the large number of mistakes I make... so many that for many people I'm just wasting my time. whome

#2252109 - 03/25/14 10:32 PM Re: Kawai CA95 - The Inside Story, With Pictures [Re: McBuster]
lolatu Online   content

Loc: UK
First of all, thanks OP for the pictures. It gave me the confidence to open up the case and sort out the issue I had with the humming transformer.

I do not have any kind of "twang" on either F3 or G4.

However I do notice that for Concert Grand 1, the sampling of some notes sounds different, compared to adjacent ones. In particular:

- C6 has a sharp metallic ring

- A5 (and to a some extent Bb5) sounds dull, almost muted, and lacking bite when played loud

I just donned my headphones, turned off reverb, and went through the whole keyboard and also noticed:

- G2 has a metallic ring / buzz when played loud

- G#3 has a weird bell-like overtone played loud

- G#4 sounds "harsher" than surrounding notes

I suppose every piano has its imperfections. But I kind of agree with evamar that any such imperfections should be detected and ironed out as part of the sampling process. A good piano technician needs to be on hand who can sort out any buzzes or twangs, and the offending notes re-sampled. A piano that will be reproduced thousands of times and has no prospect of adjustment must be held to higher standards!

Concert Grand 2 does not suffer the same idiosyncracies, as it is a different sample set. Rather than 88 different notes, the stretching is obvious to hear, in groups of 4 notes. Try a chromatic descending scale starting at middle C, count in 4 and listen as the tone changes.

The other patches are a very mixed bag, IMO. Studio Grand and Mellow Grand sound pretty good (I think they're based on the 88-note Concert Grand sample). Studio Grand 2 barely sounds like a piano, and Modern Piano has approximately 1 dynamic level. Never mind; 3 good pianos is plenty anyway.

#2252302 - 03/26/14 10:07 AM Re: Kawai CA95 - The Inside Story, With Pictures [Re: McBuster]
Splash Offline

Hi again, yesterday I carefully test more keys by using the Light touch setting and actually more keys have a metallic/different sound than others. I can hear too the sound when using headphones at a high volume level.

Maybe Kawai can publish an software upgrade to solve it.

This not happens in Mellow setting and harder to sense in Concert Grand 2.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
149 registered (accordeur, ando, Akshay, 36251, 47 invisible), 1730 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74217 Members
42 Forums
153529 Topics
2249942 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Why 88 keys?
by gsmonks
04/17/14 03:01 PM
Casio AP range advice please
by thamajor7
04/17/14 01:38 PM
Installing plain wire: no twists involved
by A443
04/17/14 01:12 PM
Disney - Mulan - Reflection (arr. by K. Landry)
by Gi Dy
04/17/14 12:32 PM
A good introduction to history of French classical music?
by BWV 846
04/17/14 10:50 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission