Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2053437 - 03/24/13 12:04 PM Lesson Intervals
AmandaJ Offline

So I realize that weekly lessons are the norm. However I can't pay for weekly lessons for myself, and my son. I prefer to pay for him. So I'm thinking monthly lessons are more in line with what I can afford. I'm curious if anyone here has done that or has experience with either monthly or bi weekly lessons.

Motivation for practicing is not a problem. I feel I need focus from a teacher on what to practice, along with working on my technique, and increasing my theory knowledge. I've lost alot of theory knowledge since lessons in high school stopped.

I want to do the exams for whichever level is applicable to me. I need a teacher to assess that as well. I want pieces in line with the applicable level, as well as assistance in how to learn and improve different pieces I'm working on.

So looking for opinions on whether or not monthly lessons would work or would be feasable

Edited by AmandaJ (03/24/13 12:06 PM)

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2053533 - 03/24/13 03:03 PM Re: Lesson Intervals [Re: AmandaJ]
Marco M Offline

Loc: Europe
I have had my first lesson yesterday! Hurra!

I am in the same boat as you, and needed to search for a while to find a _good_ teacher. A good teacher who is not only well known to more frequently than other teachers have successfull students, but to be even good to understand that adults with family and low money need a special flexibility in the time planning. I asked for every 14-days 1 hour lesson, and the answer was: of course, because it wouldn´t make sense to teach me if I haven´t got time to fullfill my homeworks. So, my teacher did not see any problem in lessons which are not weekly, but encouraged me to in my case better go for the every 14-days classes instead of weekly classes. And my teacher for sure does not teach anymore because of any needs to earn even more money. My teacher now only teaches because loves to teach. I want to say, the offer was not made like this for not losing me as a paying stundent, but purely because the chemistry between us appeared to be the correct one for a longer lasting yourney.

Just speak with your teacher and consider to also ask for every 14 days receiving a 1/2 hour class instead of every month a 1 hour class.
before playing Drums in adults bluesband on handpicked set; before crashing E-Guitar in kids garage band; raised on home entertainment Organ and Keyboard models Eminent Solina P240, Farfisa Maharani 259R, Technics KN800, and on Mouth Organ, Recorder and Accordion

#2053544 - 03/24/13 03:43 PM Re: Lesson Intervals [Re: AmandaJ]
torquenale Offline

Loc: Italy
Last year I started taking piano lesson (non completely beginner, I had lessons as a teen): weekly, 45 minutes each.
It was a bit... too much for me; I have a job (almost full time) and two children (and my husband works abroad so he can "contribute" only in week-ends), so not much time to practice. And at work sometimes I have several crazy weeks in a row (January and February, usually). It was frustrating to have lesson and feel that no improvement has been done.
This year I switched to bi-weekly 1 hour lessons and found that it works really better for me. As adults, I think we are more motivated and more able to plan our practice, we practice because we like it and not only because we are given a homework by the teacher. So, I can wholeheartedly advise biweekly lesson; maybe only one lesson in a month would not be enough because the teacher's feedback is really important.

#2053551 - 03/24/13 03:57 PM Re: Lesson Intervals [Re: AmandaJ]
AmandaJ Offline

torquenale I also have a full time job and two children - oldest is 6.5. Plus I'm training for a marathon lol. So Quite busy. I decided to post an ad and see if anyone replies as well replied to a couple to feel out their thoughts as well. I could probably swing an hour bi weekly.

Ideally financially it'd be monthly, but I'm hesitant because of what you said as well needing more feedback, more often

#2053600 - 03/24/13 05:25 PM Re: Lesson Intervals [Re: AmandaJ]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
I had monthly lessons in the beginning. I also have children with weekly lessons, so I'm completely with you on the issue of costs.

I found that the monthly lessons were helpful, but the length between lessons were a bit long, and there is a tendency to practice something wrong for a long time before correction. My personal experience is that bi-weekly hour-long lessons are the most optimal for me. As a busy adult with family we have a lot of other things to do then to practice 2-3 hours a day, which is necessary to make sufficient progress for weekly lessons to maximize the costs. However, as it is difficult to find a teacher willing to go for bi-weekly lessons, I am now on weekly lessons plan. I would say my speed of progress is exactly half of that of my children, so I really don't need weekly lessons, but I also understand it is difficult for a teacher to reserve a weekly timeslot for someone showing up half the time.

Bottom line, any lesson time is helpful. If you can only afford one lesson per month or every two months, go for it. You should schedule a longer lesson though, as I found my teacher had completely forgotten what I was doing and my problem areas when the lessons were far apart. That is the single benefit of weekly lessons. Over time, your teacher begin to know you better than you know yourself after a few years.

#2053605 - 03/24/13 05:34 PM Re: Lesson Intervals [Re: Marco M]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Marco M
My teacher now only teaches because loves to teach. I want to say, the offer was not made like this for not losing me as a paying stundent, but purely because the chemistry between us appeared to be the correct one for a longer lasting yourney.

Yes, this is a good point. If you are able to find an older teacher who is no longer teaching 40 students a week, you will find more flexibility than a younger teacher who is in their prime earning years needing to fill very open slot.

#2054296 - 03/25/13 10:40 PM Re: Lesson Intervals [Re: AmandaJ]
joyoussong Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
My current teacher is a student, & between my erratic schedule & his, we usually manage a lesson every 2nd week. I had a similar arrangement with my first teacher. But I've recently started feeling that 2 weeks between lessons is a bit too long, so if it works for my teacher, I may try for every week during the summer when I'll have more time.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
133 registered (36251, accordeur, AndresD, ando, 44 invisible), 1584 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75498 Members
42 Forums
156123 Topics
2292639 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Halloween Fantasy
by Axtremus
07/24/14 08:56 AM
Visited Yamaha's Flagship Store Today
by biasa199
07/24/14 08:53 AM
Tag!
by Axtremus
07/24/14 08:53 AM
Things are not working out for me
by Teodor
07/24/14 08:45 AM
UVI has a sale on 5 grand piano sounds
by Morodiene
07/24/14 08:31 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission