Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
155 registered (aceydawg, alans, A Guy, accordeur, 36251, 45 invisible), 1431 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2059492 - 04/04/13 10:21 PM Re: Buying a Rebuilt Piano [Re: novicesearcher]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Originally Posted By: novicesearcher
I guess what I want to know is, if my wife & son are satisfied with the sound & feel of each piano, which piano is most likely to hold up in value over time. If you had a choice of several cars, and they all performed relatively close to each other, wouldn't you purchase the one that would most likely hold up in value over time? If so, which car, or in this instance which piano, would you buy. I believe each of these pianos is an excellent instrument, but which will most likely hold up in value over time? Does this make sense? My son & wife will determine the best piano piano(s) musically, but I need to examine the choices from an investment standpoint, or should I not me concerned about that? Thanks for your help.. Thanks

I am concerned with this viewpoint. I'm guessing here that you're a business/finance guy, and are very concerned with getting the most value out of your dollar. In this, we are like-minded. But your back-end concern may be limiting your perspective a little on this one.

Consider a new car: the second you drive the car off the lot, its value decreases. And its value will decrease for every tenth of every mile after that. The 5-year trade-in value of a 2008 Pontiac G6 might be 40% of its sticker price. But usually, I'm more concerned with how the car drives, how it feels to sit in it, its crash rating, performance, and serviceability than its trade-in value. Why? Because every car's value decreases over time, so I'm more concerned with getting what I want than a few hundred dollars five years down the road.

Now, look at a piano. Pianos are a much longer-term investment. You don't typically buy a piano to sell it in five years and get a new one. Typically, you'll own that piano for 10-20-30 years or more (if it's a good instrument). Are you more concerned with 10% extra trade-in value twenty years from now, or are you more concerned with the piano's performance over those twenty years? As a pianist, and a businessman, I can tell you the piano's performance is far more important than that extra 10%. Or 20%. Heck, or 50%. A piano is, potentially, a lifetime investment, so it makes less sense to consider trade-in value (or resell value) over the quality of the instrument.

I'll clarify: it's okay to consider trade-in, trade-up, or resell value, but that value should never trump the quality of the instrument. Otherwise, you'll be miserable for the 20 years you own the piano, and happy only for the ten minutes when it finally (re)sells. wink

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2059537 - 04/05/13 12:52 AM Re: Buying a Rebuilt Piano [Re: Derulux]
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
DERLUX,
I couldn't of said it any better. I have never regretted the experience and satisfaction that producing a fine grand gives me. That is why I work on pianos. That is why I chose this line of work. I love hearing and feeling the emotion that can be produced by a wonderful instrument. And lucky for me, pianists do as well and some of them buy a piano or rebuilding or tone-regulation or general piano services from me enough to keep me in business at it.

#2293485 - 06/22/14 04:44 PM Re: Buying a Rebuilt Piano [Re: novicesearcher]
chasingrainbows Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NJ
Hi novicesearcher, it's been over a year since you posted about your rebuilt Steinway. I'm interested in knowing if you ever accepted the rebuilt piano, and if so, are you satisfied with the instrument?

#2293516 - 06/22/14 06:06 PM Re: Buying a Rebuilt Piano [Re: Derulux]
Grandman Offline

Loc: Usa
Originally Posted By: Derulux
Originally Posted By: novicesearcher
I guess what I want to know is, if my wife & son are satisfied with the sound & feel of each piano, which piano is most likely to hold up in value over time. If you had a choice of several cars, and they all performed relatively close to each other, wouldn't you purchase the one that would most likely hold up in value over time? If so, which car, or in this instance which piano, would you buy. I believe each of these pianos is an excellent instrument, but which will most likely hold up in value over time? Does this make sense? My son & wife will determine the best piano piano(s) musically, but I need to examine the choices from an investment standpoint, or should I not me concerned about that? Thanks for your help.. Thanks

I am concerned with this viewpoint. I'm guessing here that you're a business/finance guy, and are very concerned with getting the most value out of your dollar. In this, we are like-minded. But your back-end concern may be limiting your perspective a little on this one.

Consider a new car: the second you drive the car off the lot, its value decreases. And its value will decrease for every tenth of every mile after that. The 5-year trade-in value of a 2008 Pontiac G6 might be 40% of its sticker price. But usually, I'm more concerned with how the car drives, how it feels to sit in it, its crash rating, performance, and serviceability than its trade-in value. Why? Because every car's value decreases over time, so I'm more concerned with getting what I want than a few hundred dollars five years down the road.

Now, look at a piano. Pianos are a much longer-term investment. You don't typically buy a piano to sell it in five years and get a new one. Typically, you'll own that piano for 10-20-30 years or more (if it's a good instrument). Are you more concerned with 10% extra trade-in value twenty years from now, or are you more concerned with the piano's performance over those twenty years? As a pianist, and a businessman, I can tell you the piano's performance is far more important than that extra 10%. Or 20%. Heck, or 50%. A piano is, potentially, a lifetime investment, so it makes less sense to consider trade-in value (or resell value) over the quality of the instrument.

I'll clarify: it's okay to consider trade-in, trade-up, or resell value, but that value should never trump the quality of the instrument. Otherwise, you'll be miserable for the 20 years you own the piano, and happy only for the ten minutes when it finally (re)sells. wink

Exactly! I couldn't agree more.

#2293552 - 06/22/14 08:05 PM Re: Buying a Rebuilt Piano [Re: novicesearcher]
swiharta Offline

deleted

Edited by swiharta (06/23/14 02:55 AM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Whip those springs into shape
by A454.7
11/26/14 06:29 PM
New Yamaha CLP-545 or used CLP-270/280 ???
by Panpiano
11/26/14 06:28 PM
Wanted to say hi
by patty5sewing
11/26/14 05:43 PM
Price of Knabe WMV-121?
by blackjack1777
11/26/14 04:36 PM
Audiobox USB vs Audiobox 22VSL
by mitzysman
11/26/14 04:33 PM
Forum Stats
77062 Members
42 Forums
159381 Topics
2341231 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission