Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
109 registered (accordeur, A Guy, Anita Potter, anotherscott, Anne'sson, Alkanaut, 30 invisible), 1421 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2055875 - 03/28/13 08:57 PM charge more for outside normal working hours?
michaelopolis Offline

Should i charge more for tuning at night for or just standard basic rate ?

michael

(ad PTG 757) The Value of PTG Membership
The Value of a PTG Membership
#2055878 - 03/28/13 09:00 PM Re: charge more for outside normal working hours? [Re: michaelopolis]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
It is up to you. I do not work outside of normal working hours except for shows.

#2055910 - 03/28/13 10:28 PM Re: charge more for outside normal working hours? [Re: michaelopolis]
RestorerPhil Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Ah, the things we do for love !

(or to survive, or to build a fledgling tuning practice)

I suppose the tangents of a possible answer lie in what I have already written, but the answer does depend on some "stuff."

For example, there are times when due to family schedules and college schedules I had rather get to the music practice rooms at 6:00 A.M. on a Saturday, when no one else is there. On the other hand, if some demanding customer makes it tough to schedule them and I have already tried three times to get them tuned, then I am forced to do it at an odd time even so...

yes, I would charge them extra.

Of course, you hope for the day and the place that you can skip all the goofy stuff. Some of us make it to that far, fond land - sometimes, at least. Most of us don't and life stays a little on the tough side. Count your blessings, either way!

P.S. The best time to do a retirement center is usually 8:30 - 9:00 P.M. At least it's quiet. Take your pick: hectic, noisy or when it's all done for the day.

Edited by RestorerPhil (03/29/13 12:25 AM)
Rebuilding & Restoration

#2055953 - 03/29/13 12:01 AM Re: charge more for outside normal working hours? [Re: michaelopolis]
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
SURE CHARGE more if you can get it!

#2055956 - 03/29/13 12:11 AM Re: charge more for outside normal working hours? [Re: michaelopolis]
kpembrook Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
Reality check . ..

Do you expect to pay the same for a plumber, locksmith, auto mechanic that provides service for you beyond regular hours?

The greater question would be, do you want a customer that values your time and work so little that they would not want to pay extra for accommodation to their schedule?

Sometimes when I'm trying to schedule with a customer who has called, they say something like, "Well, I work during the day". To which I reply, "So do I". That kind of sets things in perspective. I usually go on to suggest that they will need to make the same kind of arrangements as if they were having a plumber, electrician or other service person working at their house.

If you're hungry, do what you need to do, but you are probably under-valuing your service.

#2055965 - 03/29/13 12:24 AM Re: charge more for outside normal working hours? [Re: michaelopolis]
beethoven986 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

If you are building a business, as I am, probably not. When you get to the point to where you're tuning four or five pianos on Monday-Friday, then absolutely. As for right now, I don't charge extra for weekends or weird hours... I actually prefer working at night, anyway.
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#2056048 - 03/29/13 06:36 AM Re: charge more for outside normal working hours? [Re: michaelopolis]
rxd Online   happy
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, England
We are all different. Anybody who ever went to school or did a factory or office job will have the 9-5 mentality out of pure habit. Some manage to transcend it. Some are naturally early risers, others are useless until noon. I gave up a very lucrative career because I ceased to be a late night person. ( i don't know that I ever really was, but I was young enough not to know or care). There was a time I avoided tuning after4 pm in the suburbs in summer because that was when most neighborhood formation lawn mowing teams were active.

Everybody is different and enjoys working the hours that suit them. Thats one of the perks of piano work. The whole universe has conspired to give me work that is tailored to my lifestyle. I work holidays and weekends freely so that my colleagues can have time with their families. My family of choice keeps hours much like mine, my family of origin is largely retired.

Whether we charge extra for working outside our comfortable hours again depends on the particular person. Some are fearless and free with their time, others are fearful and grasping. We can't make rules for each other.

Eschew obfuscation.

#2056214 - 03/29/13 12:10 PM Re: charge more for outside normal working hours? [Re: michaelopolis]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
From the other side of the fence - as a pianist and owner.

I would fully expect that there would be an additional charge for services outside of standard business hours.

One of the techs that I use has "barber's hours." His days off are Sun. & Mon. There is no extra charge for scheduled tunings on Saturday.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2056229 - 03/29/13 12:41 PM Re: charge more for outside normal working hours? [Re: rxd]
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: rxd
We are all different. Anybody who ever went to school or did a factory or office job will have the 9-5 mentality out of pure habit. Some manage to transcend it. Some are naturally early risers, others are useless until noon. I gave up a very lucrative career because I ceased to be a late night person. ( i don't know that I ever really was, but I was young enough not to know or care). There was a time I avoided tuning after4 pm in the suburbs in summer because that was when most neighborhood formation lawn mowing teams were active.

A good perspective. My suggestion remains, though.

If someone's "normal" hours are 4-11pm Tue-Sun, it would be appropriate for them to charge extra for 9am Monday. The point being that we organize our business life according to some format or plan for greatest convenience/efficiency. Providing a "non-plan" service typically represents some kind of greater effort or sacrifice that should be compensated.

#2056257 - 03/29/13 01:51 PM Re: charge more for outside normal working hours? [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
... There is no extra charge for scheduled tunings on Saturday.
Scheduled tunings?? I don't think I have ever, in almost 30 years, done any unscheduled tunings. They were all scheduled. What am I missing?

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#2056357 - 03/29/13 04:46 PM Re: charge more for outside normal working hours? [Re: michaelopolis]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Well Jurgen,

How about someone who calls on Saturday, experiencing traumatic disintunation, and insists that the tuner come over during lunch hour. That would be un-scheduled and would command and increased fee if the tuner accepted the job.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2056362 - 03/29/13 04:58 PM Re: charge more for outside normal working hours? [Re: michaelopolis]
RPD Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Kalamazoo Michigan
Nope. Not me. We tilt the schedule to accomodate the 20-25 tunings weekly and if/when we need to make an evening happen (or occasionally Saturdays) we do so happily. People, in our experience, appreciate one simple price.

I don't work Sundays tuning (ever) and late evenings either...but from the 9am to 9pm timeframe we have a simple single price strategy and it seems to be working to keep everybody happy.

PS We DO charge more for last minute work that is event centered and requires either travel outside our area OR extra hours to complete...of course...

FWIW

RPD

Edited by RPD (03/29/13 04:59 PM)
Piano-Tuner-Rebuilder/Musician www.actionpianoservice.com

#2056499 - 03/29/13 08:57 PM Re: charge more for outside normal working hours? [Re: michaelopolis]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
If the client call in the morning and says: "Please come at noon to such and such an address", and I say yes, then it is a scheduled appointment, albeit an appointment scheduled at short notice. The moment I write down a name, address and phone # in my day-timer, I have scheduled an appointment.

An unscheduled tuning would be if I show up unannounced. I suppose this could happen, if for example an institution asks me to drop by some time in the next few weeks to tune. But even then I would always ask for a specific time to make sure I have access to the room and quiet for my work. I can't speak for others, but I don't do "unscheduled" service calls, and I don't know of anyone who does.

Edited by Supply (03/29/13 09:04 PM)

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#2058464 - 04/02/13 10:27 PM Re: charge more for outside normal working hours? [Re: michaelopolis]
Bob Offline
3000 Post Club Member

One of the best things in this business is you can set your own hours, and you can set your own rates. Some techs charge more for odd hours, but I think most charge the same amount, especially if the evening appointments are scheduled in advance, and on route with other tunings.

Where extra costs are incurred, I would imagine an extra charge is warranted. An out of town emergency tuning would be charged extra by most, I would think.... A tuning 100 miles round trip should be charged higher than one in town. A higher cost demands a higher fee.

This is a service business which means you have to be available when clients are. If that means Saturdays, Sundays, 5am, or 7pm, that's what you do - or you miss out on work.

I always make up for odd hours with extra days off. It's the best part of this business.

#2058686 - 04/03/13 12:25 PM Re: charge more for outside normal working hours? [Re: michaelopolis]
Nash. Piano Rescue Offline

Loc: East Nashville,TN Scottsville...
Here is the thing about that. I have been exposed to this business since I was about 7 years old. I think I have the same attitude as many other people who grew up in a family business like some of my childhood friends who grew up in the food or produce business'

There is a very fine line between building a good reputable business and just flat out being taken advantage of. You need to set hours to stick to and perhaps do something like Vetrenarians do with an after hours emergency call.

If you just work 20 hour days then you will be expected to do that 7 days a week until it has consumed your life. This past January while others were making new years resolutions to lose weight or never eat another piece of white bread I made one to not be taken advantage of this year.

It may seem like a brash decision or sound cold but if you enjoy the work then you want to continue to enjoy it not get burned out. Set hours of operation and stick to it. You will thank yourself later.
East Nashville
Bowling Green, KY
Scottsville KY.
Chamber of Commerce
Member/Sponsor

Putting inspiration in the hands of area musicians
Through restoration/renovation

#2058703 - 04/03/13 12:51 PM Re: charge more for outside normal working hours? [Re: Nash. Piano Rescue]
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Nash. Piano Rescue
Here is the thing about that. I have been exposed to this business since I was about 7 years old. I think I have the same attitude as many other people who grew up in a family business like some of my childhood friends who grew up in the food or produce business'

There is a very fine line between building a good reputable business and just flat out being taken advantage of. You need to set hours to stick to and perhaps do something like Vetrenarians do with an after hours emergency call.

If you just work 20 hour days then you will be expected to do that 7 days a week until it has consumed your life. This past January while others were making new years resolutions to lose weight or never eat another piece of white bread I made one to not be taken advantage of this year.

It may seem like a brash decision or sound cold but if you enjoy the work then you want to continue to enjoy it not get burned out. Set hours of operation and stick to it. You will thank yourself later.

Absolutely bang on!
thumb

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Trill technique question
by pianolearnerstride
12/19/14 10:19 PM
Anyone use a seat cushion?
by DeadPoets
12/19/14 08:48 PM
Lester Betsy Ross Spinet- worth?
by cobalt60
12/19/14 08:22 PM
How deep into the tuning hammer should pin go?
by JoeThePro
12/19/14 07:37 PM
The friction, blubbering, and lost motion are eradicated!
by music32
12/19/14 07:15 PM
Forum Stats
77362 Members
42 Forums
160004 Topics
2349655 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission