Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2055918 - 03/28/13 10:42 PM More control when playing pp chords in left hand
mermilylumpkin Offline

Hey,

I seem to have this particular struggle that I suppose is sort of related to tone, or achieving a nice balance with 3 and 4 note chords with very soft dynamics. I thought I might try to get some feedback or suggestions about how I might improve.

When I am playing certain romantic era pieces with lots of thick chords in the left hand that are meant to be played softly, I have a hard time achieving consistent enough control to produce the sound that I want. I'll practice a pianissimo LH chord in isolation as softly as possible and it's very hard to get every note to sound while making sure it stays very soft -- and this is just in isolation. Then I find that I want to weight a particular note more so that one of the tones gets more emphasis (while keeping the chord pp on the whole) and the task becomes even more complicated. And then when I want to play it in the context of the whole phrase or piece instead of just in isolation it is even harder!

I don't have a problem with dynamics when I am playing, say, a two part invention where it's just a couple of voices, or even something where just the left hand chords as a whole are soft with the RH louder. But when there are lots of voices to be balanced out I work and work to get the gradations I want within the left hand and it frequently seems that I can't get the texture of the sound quite where I want to be. If that makes sense.

I wanted to see if anyone knew of any technical exercises to improve control within several fingers of the same hand, or control of the minutiae while playing softly. Or if anyone had general suggestions. I also wasn't sure if I was just being too persnickety in general or if this is a normal thing that people struggle with. Thank you!

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2055989 - 03/29/13 01:25 AM Re: More control when playing pp chords in left hand [Re: mermilylumpkin]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
Any singer will tell you, when you want to sing quietly, you need to use more breath in order to control the sound. It's exactly the same at the piano. You need more arm support and weight to play quietly and slowly than you do to play loudly and quickly. It's the most counterintuitive thing, but it works amazingly well. Using this very simple principle and your own pair of ears, you can get the deepest, most penetrating singing tone or you can get a hushed pianissimo in the bottom octave of the piano that still can be heard at the back of a concert hall.

#2056345 - 03/29/13 04:32 PM Re: More control when playing pp chords in left hand [Re: jeffreyjones]
kuifje Offline

Often I have the same problem as the TS. I try the weight thing but i have trouble making the chords sound even especially if one of the fingers is much closer to the fallboard than the others. Also the softer the chord, the harder it is for me to sound all notes simultaneously. Do you have any advise for that maybe?

#2056359 - 03/29/13 04:54 PM Re: More control when playing pp chords in left hand [Re: mermilylumpkin]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
I had the problem with ghost notes mentioned by the OP. When I made a thread about this, one of those replying mentioned that the renowned pedagogue Maurice Hinson tells students with this problem to use firmer fingers. I tried this and solved what had been a long time problem for me within an hour. If I play a ghost note now(it happens far less frequently,)I just think "firmer"(not louder)and can get things right immediately.

#2056409 - 03/29/13 06:23 PM Re: More control when playing pp chords in left hand [Re: mermilylumpkin]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
Michelle Mares, one of my summer camp instructors suggested placing your fingertips on the keys and then simultaneously bending the most distal joints and pulling your fingertips toward you.

As far as bringing out particular notes, my own teacher suggests pushing the side of your hand with the notes you want to bring out slightly towards the fall board. If it's a note that is more central to the chord, try curling that finger slightly.

Deborah

#2056637 - 03/30/13 02:05 AM Re: More control when playing pp chords in left hand [Re: mermilylumpkin]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
One other things to consider, after all of the good advice given, is this: if you're trying to voice the RH so it is louder than the LH, quite often you have to play it louder than the LH. In other words, if the LH is as soft as it can get, don't bring out the RH by making the LH any softer-- you won't get a consistent sound. Instead, make the RH louder.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
117 registered (AndresD, AndrewJCW, 36251, Allard, Abby Pianoman, 35 invisible), 1334 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75602 Members
42 Forums
156329 Topics
2295969 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Feurich 190 cm grand from 1920 - Is it any good?
by pinkfloydhomer
25 minutes 59 seconds ago
Who's gigging with MP11
by 36251
57 minutes 1 second ago
piano technician cost list
by ascc
Today at 01:36 AM
Liszt on Steinway A3
by Reno
Today at 01:35 AM
Roland RD800 initial impressions
by fizikisto
Today at 12:28 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission