Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2058421 - 04/02/13 07:01 PM Flash Cards
Bruce B Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Howdy...before I choose what to buy can anyone recommend the most effective flash cards to assist me in learning the notes etc. and improve my memory? I have now completed my sixth lesson and not feeling too comfortable with reading up and down the staffs without always pausing. We are now exploring major scales so I feel the need to speed my reading capabilities. The cards I have in mind are the small ones I used in school days affectionately called "cheet sheets"...many thanks.

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2058425 - 04/02/13 07:15 PM Re: Flash Cards [Re: Bruce B]
ElleC Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Hi Bruce...I just posted this in another forum, in any case, it's an iphone/ipad app called Music Tutor. it's a free app that offers a good sight reading drill for beginners and intermediate. Works just like a flashcard. If you have the volume on, it even plays the note for you. it's fast paced and logs your achievements..you can also challenge your friends! anyway, i've already noticed an improvement in my sight reading skill. Good luck!

-Michelle

Edited by ElleC (04/02/13 07:15 PM)

#2058442 - 04/02/13 08:21 PM Re: Flash Cards [Re: Bruce B]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Hi Bruce......I made my own flash cards by cutting up a scale sheet, easily found on the web. Worked really well in the first month of learning. I then invested in what I thought was a cheap program called Prestokeys which runs on my laptop attached to my digital piano. Basically it shows notes either as flash or scroll and you play it on the piano. You have to hit the correct note before proceeding. Too many features to write here but the main one is as you get better so the program can be increased in difficulty. I think I will get years out of it. However, I always have to remember it is just one tool. Scales, technique, hand independance, diversity of material all come into play.
One other recommendation is Bartok's Mikrokosmos which you can find free on the web. Book 1 is all in the five finger position and is excellent in confidence building.
All the best

#2058457 - 04/02/13 09:36 PM Re: Flash Cards [Re: earlofmar]
Bruce B Offline

Thank you!

#2058459 - 04/02/13 09:38 PM Re: Flash Cards [Re: ElleC]
Bruce B Offline

I am way behind the times...I do not own a "smartphone"...but sure sounds neat. Thanks.

#2058463 - 04/02/13 10:25 PM Re: Flash Cards [Re: Bruce B]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada Alberta
Bruce, I have read your post, here:

Howdy...before I choose what to buy can anyone recommend the most effective flash cards to assist me in learning the notes etc. and improve my memory? I have now completed my sixth lesson and not feeling too comfortable with reading up and down the staffs without always pausing. We are now exploring major scales so I feel the need to speed my reading capabilities. The cards I have in mind are the small ones I used in school days affectionately called "cheet sheets"...many thanks.

Ultimately, what works for you is awesome. I am old, dyslexic and have memory problems.

In the little piano books it says:

Fist, play and say the letter-names of the notes.
Slow and even counting is essential. Endeavour to maintain strict time in all exercises. Correct fingering as shown must be used to ensure smooth playing. Begin these exercises slowly and gradually increase speed. Don't memorise the sound, --> but READ every note and PLAY it as written with its correct time value.

Learning to play the piano is a very slow process, like 10 or 20 years, and it is spent on the piano bench. My book doesn't have lessons but has numbered pieces and there were 50 pieces which I would review everyday. So if you review your six lessons that you have learned and played them several times a day, a week, a month, month after month on the piano bench playing your lessons over and over, slowly, without mistakes, you will have a wonderful journey learning to play the piano. It is that simple, just your piano book, your hands, fingers, piano and brain all workking together at the piano.

It is no different than any sport. If you are playing basketball, you have shoot the ball into the basketball hoop everyday for many years. Piano is the same thing. Enjoy the journey.

#2058568 - 04/03/13 07:06 AM Re: Flash Cards [Re: Bruce B]
Jean-Luc Offline

Loc: France
It's maybe not exactly what you are after but here are a few links with (free) online note trainers (and more).

http://www.musictheory.net/exercises
http://www.emusictheory.com/practice.html
http://www.vicfirth.com/education/keyboard/speednotereading.html

I am also a beginner and while I can identify the notes pretty fast (I never used any trick like "every good boy.." to learn them and I think it helped) I still hesitate a lot when actually reading music (especially if the voice in the bass travel in a different direction than the melody) so do not worry, it takes time, try to work as much as possible with very simple reading material and preferably at the piano if you can (it's one thing to be able to name a note, it's another one to play it).
One thing I also noticed, if you go the flash card way, try to have flash cards representing the full grand staff, even if they only show a bass or treble note in the question. I noticed that when you get used to the grand staff it's quite disorientating to see only half of it and you tend to make more mistake.

Good luck, learning to read is a lot of work but I am sure it's very much worth it smile

Jean-Luc

#2062550 - 04/10/13 08:13 PM Re: Flash Cards [Re: ElleC]
JazzyMac Offline

Originally Posted By: ElleC
Hi Bruce...I just posted this in another forum, in any case, it's an iphone/ipad app called Music Tutor. it's a free app that offers a good sight reading drill for beginners and intermediate. Works just like a flashcard. If you have the volume on, it even plays the note for you. it's fast paced and logs your achievements..you can also challenge your friends! anyway, i've already noticed an improvement in my sight reading skill. Good luck!

-Michelle

Thanks very much. I purchased musictheory and Tenuto for the iPhone before seeing this. I like it very much!

#2062612 - 04/10/13 10:08 PM Re: Flash Cards [Re: Michael_99]
Polyphonist Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Michael_99

It is no different than any sport. If you are playing basketball, you have shoot the ball into the basketball hoop everyday for many years. Piano is the same thing. Enjoy the journey.

Personally, I think practicing piano is a bit more interesting than shooting baskets over and over and over...

Polyphonist

#2062650 - 04/10/13 11:34 PM Re: Flash Cards [Re: Polyphonist]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada Alberta
Polyphonist,

I have read your post, here:

Personally, I think practicing piano is a bit more interesting than shooting baskets over and over and over...

Oh, absolutely, absolutely, but my point is flash cards I can't relate to - - but playing and saying the notes will be enough. It is what you will continue to do for the rest of your life - piano life.

By playing simple pieces from a beginner book many times a day, week, month, I easily learned the notes by saying and playing the notes on the staff as I played them.

I have never heard or read that a person was so excited that he/she learned all the notes on the staff and could play them all without any problem and was a joy by using flash cards.

Looking at any music and not knowing the name of any
note should tell you what you need to know.

In fact, start at middle c and go up to the next c and back down to middle C and then go from middle c down to the c below middle C. Write it out on staff paper and play it and say the notes when you read them and play them. Believe you will know the notes in quick order if you do that every morning before breakfast for 10 minutes.

It is about real live action of reading and play the notes as you read them and play them on the piano.

#2062654 - 04/10/13 11:42 PM Re: Flash Cards [Re: Michael_99]
Polyphonist Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Michael_99
Polyphonist,

I have read your post, here:

Oh, absolutely, absolutely, but my point is flash cards I can't relate to - - but playing and saying the notes will be enough. It is what you will continue to do for the rest of your life - piano life.

By playing simple pieces from a beginner book many times a day, week, month, I easily learned the notes by saying and playing the notes on the staff as I played them.

I have never heard or read that a person was so excited that he/she learned all the notes on the staff and could play them all without any problem and was a joy by using flash cards.

Looking at any music and not knowing the name of any
note should tell you what you need to know.

In fact, start at middle c and go up to the next c and back down to middle C and then go from middle c down to the c below middle C. Write it out on staff paper and play it and say the notes when you read them and play them. Believe you will know the notes in quick order if you do that every morning before breakfast for 10 minutes.

It is about real live action of reading and play the notes as you read them and play them on the piano.

Of course, I understood your point. Thanks for clarifying. smile

Polyphonist

#2062673 - 04/11/13 12:48 AM Re: Flash Cards [Re: Jean-Luc]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Florida
Originally Posted By: Jean-Luc
It's maybe not exactly what you are after but here are a few links with (free) online note trainers (and more).

http://www.musictheory.net/exercises

I'm trying to keep an open mind here, so I went to this page. I tested the site with the idea of finding out how many notes would be in an exercise. So at 101/101 I quit. Of course I'm not going to miss any. I've been playing since age seven or so and teaching for more than 40 years. But I note that only the treble is used, by default. Please, if you use this site, pick both clefs or work more with the bass clef.

When I reset to four lines above or below either staff, it became very hard to focus because of the way the notes appeared, in isolation, in a way that we NEVER see notes in real piano music.

I have also played and taught brass instruments using both clefs, but you NEVER have clefs alternate this way when playing a single line. So I would never recommend this exercise as useful to a student.

#2062681 - 04/11/13 01:00 AM Re: Flash Cards [Re: Jean-Luc]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Jean-Luc

Continuing check:

This site allows use of grand staff. Much better test for pianists. I could only pick the correct answers at perhaps 1/4 the speed at which I could instantly play them, so it still felt a bit weird to me.

For grins it would be nice to have the program pick bass on top, treble at the bottom, two treble clefs and two bass clefs. All these formations are common in advanced music.

My conclusion is that this still has very little to do with actual reading though.

#2062689 - 04/11/13 01:12 AM Re: Flash Cards [Re: Jean-Luc]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

This one is really bad, in my opinion. It made my LH thumb sore. I use a trackball with my left hand.

There is a pitch that has nothing to do with the pitches of the notes shown, and the keyboard shown does not bear any resemblance to that of a piano.

I would suggest staying away from this one...

#2062702 - 04/11/13 01:50 AM Re: Flash Cards [Re: Gary D.]
Polyphonist Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Gary D.

This one is really bad, in my opinion. It made my LH thumb sore. I use a trackball with my left hand.

There is a pitch that has nothing to do with the pitches of the notes shown, and the keyboard shown does not bear any resemblance to that of a piano.

I would suggest staying away from this one...

This one is ridiculous. How am I supposed to quickly find notes on a piano keyboard where instead of white and black keys you have pink and pink?

Polyphonist

#2062791 - 04/11/13 08:23 AM Re: Flash Cards [Re: Bruce B]
BrainCramp Offline

Loc: USA
Bruce,

I don't think anyone has mentioned this online tool yet:

http://www.musicteachers.co.uk/namethatnote/?service_path=namethatnote

#2062810 - 04/11/13 09:22 AM Re: Flash Cards [Re: Bruce B]
DanS Offline

I use these with my students. I've tried a bunch, these are the most comprehensive that I've found, and they're inexpensive.

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/Bastien-Music-Flash-Cards/289239

#2063263 - 04/12/13 02:37 AM Re: Flash Cards [Re: Bruce B]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
112 registered (ando, bennevis, Arizona Sage, Almaviva, anotherscott, 36 invisible), 1333 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153518 Topics
2249716 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A question about app.box
by LarryShone
04/17/14 07:08 AM
Re-stringing an 84yr old Grand.....?
by Grandpianoman
04/17/14 01:56 AM
Theme identification
by Polyphonist
04/17/14 01:26 AM
Morning Mist: a ballade for piano
by JoelW
04/17/14 12:27 AM
Insanity
by Polyphonist
04/16/14 11:55 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission