2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (36251, Doug M., Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, David Boyce, 6 invisible), 1,092 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Bortx
First for all those calling on me to read the Ivory Manual -- my box came with no manual. It has a small 5 page booklet on installing the software. No where does it say anything about pedal support and all the nuances of the pedal we are talking about here in this forum.

Second, for those stating that the VPC1's pedal has 25 steps, this is incorrect. I did the tests my self. I recorded the MIDI from the pedal with SONAR X3 which shows the exact values produced by the pedal. I was able to produce 127 separate values so the input resolution is there in steps of 1.

I believe the problem is Ivory II which quantizes all those values down to what looks from my tests to be just 3 values: on/half/off. The problem is that the "half pedal" action is not in the middle of the pedal's range. From my observation values from around 25 to 127 are set to ON. 1 to 25 to half and 0 to off. For this reason it is very hard to achieve even the singular half pedal step because that exists in such a low and narrow range.

Just wow! I don't think you really need our help. I'll let you find the manual yourself.

Macy

CVP-409GP, Garritan CFX, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, Pianoteq, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad Pro/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
I checked VPC1's sustain on Cubase where I see only 25 values over the range between 1-127. I suppose it's possible that more recent VPC1s have been given a firmware update which tracks or reports the pedal with more detail but I'd wonder why anyone would bother. Who on this earth can detect fine differences in the effect of partial pedalling?

B
B
Originally Posted by Macy
Just wow! I don't think you really need our help. I'll let you find the manual yourself.

Ha ha - brilliant, is it me or is this thread becoming increasingly more surreal!? I think a minimum age sticker on the Synthogy 'American Concert D' box could help! :p

@dire tonic

Hi there, that's an interesting point you make about firmware revisions potentially increasing the midi range on the VPC1 ~ I wonder if that's the case (out of general interest) as I agree 25 steps in a tiny amount of half pedalling travel really is a lot; but it is indeed possible that Kawai increased this to give VSTI developers more headroom for user tweaking whether its necessary or not.

However trying to find out could be tricky from the horses mouth based on previous experience from contacting them directly ( i.e Kawai James kindly rescued us on that note previously); but I might give it a go after posting this and see if they provide any further insight!

Regards,

Kat smile

B
B
Well (as promised) I posted an email to Kawai Japan Support (i.e. or at least I think I did as the support system crashed every time I clicked on the submit button)! As such I might have sent them no email or 10 at slightly different times - lol smile

Anyway I posted the same email to Kawai Europe software support as well (just in case) so I'll see if they get back with a deeper insight next week (considering Japan is circa 9 hours ahead of the UK). A definitive answer on the issue concerning 25 or 127 would be useful - I'm intrigued!

Regards,

Kat smile

B
B
Hi all,

Well Kawai were kind enough to get back to me really quickly with a definitive answer on this which is as follows:

..."Since the 1st production until now the VPC1 is sending 25 steps"...

Hmmmm the BS detector is screaming lol! cry Well it wasn't surprising as 'Bortx' account in Macy's repost/quote seems to confirm this (i.e. the 25 step zone is there it just does not sound like it is set up right in software etc) which in this case is Synthogy's awesome 'American Concert D'. Well perhaps they will eventually locate the manual and remedy the issue!

Regards,

Kat smile

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission