Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2085379 - 05/19/13 07:30 PM Claude Debussy - Maid with flaxen hair
inzovu Offline

Loc: Belgium
I wanted to make a recording of this piece before starting to study for my exams. I will have to record it again but i hope you enjoy this one :):

It i recorded with a casio px-130.

#2085398 - 05/19/13 08:34 PM Re: Claude Debussy - Maid with flaxen hair [Re: inzovu]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Overall, I feel the tempo is a little too slow and the result is that the piece does not flow too well. The internal beats of each measure are sometimes too strong; I am too often hearing an accent on each beat, further impeding the natural flow of the music.

I am more concerned, though, that you have many timing issues that you need to work out. While Debussy is played with considerable rubato (it is marked "sans rigueur" at the outset, you still need to have a sense of beat, however fluid it may be, and it is lacking in your playing.

These examples need to be worked out :
- measure three/four : you hold the D-flat for five beats instead of four (two beats in measure four, two beats in measure five)
- measure 7 : the B-flat is late coming in
- measure 11 : you do not hold the D-flat on beat two for its full value plus the sixteenth-note it is tied to
- measure 15 : You do not hold the C-flat for a full beat before playing the bass G-flat
- measure 16 : you hold the G-flat that starts on beat two for three beats instead of two
At measure 19, the score is marked :"un peu animé which, as you know, means to increase the tempo. You do not do so.
- measure 24 : All of a sudden you double the tempo; you're playing the eight-note chords almost as quickly as you played the sixteenth-notes earlier. I know the score indicates "au mouvement," but that just means to return to the original tempo after the "cedez" in measure 27. I didn't feel that you observed the "cedez" indication, either.
- measure 28 : What happened here? You hold the chord for almost five beats; it gets only two full beats before the upper D-flat comes in.

Once you get these timing issues worked out, consider next working on the dynamics. While the piece is gentle throughout, it does need some judicious touches of cresc. and dimin.

I would like to hear what you can do with this once you correct the many timing issues that you seem to have overlooked in this performance.

Regards,

#2085542 - 05/20/13 02:48 AM Re: Claude Debussy - Maid with flaxen hair [Re: BruceD]
inzovu Offline

thanks a lot for your advices! i'll work on these points.

#2085575 - 05/20/13 05:24 AM Re: Claude Debussy - Maid with flaxen hair [Re: inzovu]
inzovu Offline

I tried to imporove it a little bit:

Please give me some more advices. I don't have a teacher so i'm glad to have comments from other pianists. I'll try to imporove it later because now i'm starting my exams at the university so i won't have much time to pratice but i will read your comments.

#2085637 - 05/20/13 08:53 AM Re: Claude Debussy - Maid with flaxen hair [Re: inzovu]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Since you've probably memorized some of the timing errors I'd suggest playing it with the music as a reference and counting or using a metronome for a while. I think you eliminated some of the errors Bruce mentioned in your second video, but the measure 24 near doubling is still there.

I would also try to add some more dynamics as indicated in the score.

#2085651 - 05/20/13 09:31 AM Re: Claude Debussy - Maid with flaxen hair [Re: inzovu]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
Hi inzovu! Welcome to Piano World!

My comments would be similar to those of Bruce and Pianoloverus, but with a specific underlying reason which I will explain. Debussy was a notation stickler because he had certain effects he wanted to hear come from the piano as part of his compositional art. Keep in mind, he was alive in that Impressionist milieu. Therefore, it is critical to examine the note values, pedal markings, dynamic markings, and all the specific notations you can see, then listen deeply into them as you play in order to hear and understand what sound Debussy was trying to capture for you to re-create by way of his notations.

This will be difficult to do with a Casio keyboard. But, if you use your imagination you will see what I mean. Right now, because of the limitations of the Casio sound, you are relying on melody phrasing to relate the beauty of this piece. You have a very, very nice touch and good musical sensitivity. But I think you need access to a better instrument to experience my point. If you follow the instructions in this thread and get thee to a well tuned grand piano, you might just have an over-the-top epiphany as you hear the rich interplay of live harmonics undulating and shimmering around you! grin Debussy knew how to play with the piano's resonance, and the best interpreters of his music (I believe you could become one) listen to re-create those effects as they play.

Thanks for sharing! Good luck with your exams.

--Andy

Edited by Cinnamonbear (05/20/13 09:42 AM)

Moderator:  Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
169 registered (36251, accordeur, ADWyatt, 45 invisible), 1766 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153543 Topics
2250244 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha U3FS
by Piotr Dydycz
04/18/14 10:34 AM
Uneven key balance
by Beemer
04/18/14 09:25 AM
Antique Piano Shop from TN
by IPDRPT
04/18/14 08:52 AM
Piano song requests?
by kent2012
04/18/14 08:19 AM
Requests?
by kent2012
04/18/14 08:06 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission