Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2086228 - 05/21/13 12:18 PM Re: Why so many people like Steingraeber? [Re: ando]
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
Originally Posted By: ando
Originally Posted By: AJF
I would have a hard enough time choosing which I like best between two Steinway Bs or two Steingraeber 212s. There is so much subtle variation between models even of the same line that realistically it's impossible to objectively and intelligently compare something as vast and broad as two different lines of pianos.

Trying to decide between two pianos of the same model would be harder because they are more similar than they are different. That means you are looking at minute details of the sound and touch to determine which one you prefer.

Comparing two pianos of different brand and construction is a more straight forward task because the points of difference are immediately apparent - although of course it is quite possible to end up with a list of pros and cons for each and find it hard to split them, in the end. In that case it would generally depend on what sort of music you will want to play on it.

You make a good point. I suppose a better way to say what I was trying to say is that, for me, it's easier to compare a piano to my own set of ideals of what makes a good instrument than it is to compare a piano to another piano.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2086298 - 05/21/13 02:38 PM Re: Why so many people like Steingraeber? [Re: ando]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: AJF
I would have a hard enough time choosing which I like best between two Steinway Bs or two Steingraeber 212s. There is so much subtle variation between models even of the same line that realistically it's impossible to objectively and intelligently compare something as vast and broad as two different lines of pianos.

Trying to decide between two pianos of the same model would be harder because they are more similar than they are different. That means you are looking at minute details of the sound and touch to determine which one you prefer.

Comparing two pianos of different brand and construction is a more straight forward task because the points of difference are immediately apparent - although of course it is quite possible to end up with a list of pros and cons for each and find it hard to split them, in the end. In that case it would generally depend on what sort of music you will want to play on it.
If comparing piano makes in some general way was really so impossible then half the discussion on this forum, literally tens of thousands of posts, would be quite meaningless. So would the Piano Buyer(but, of course, almost everyone find that book extremely useful).

Edited by pianoloverus (05/21/13 02:38 PM)

#2086301 - 05/21/13 02:42 PM Re: Why so many people like Steingraeber? [Re: pianoloverus]
Steve Cohen Online   content

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
So would the Piano Buyer(but, of course, almost everyone find that book extremely useful).

On behalf of the staff....Thanks!

Oh, and the reason that so many people like Steingraeber....

They make one of the world's finest pianos.

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#2086312 - 05/21/13 03:02 PM Re: Why so many people like Steingraeber? [Re: Roy Roy]
Norbert Offline

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
When it comes to world's top makers it's in the end more the artist expressing the music than the instrument itself.

A good cowboy rides on the worst of horses and on good ones of course "perfectly" - exactly the way he wants the horse to go.

You can discuss a number of high end kitchen tools, pots and pans but it's always the chef who actually cooks the meal.

And the cook is "you" - the player.

Small detail perhaps worth keeping in mind...

Norbert smile

Edited by Norbert (05/21/13 03:05 PM)

#2086447 - 05/21/13 09:10 PM Re: Why so many people like Steingraeber? [Re: pianoloverus]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: pianoloverus

If comparing piano makes in some general way was really so impossible then half the discussion on this forum, literally tens of thousands of posts, would be quite meaningless. So would the Piano Buyer(but, of course, almost everyone find that book extremely useful).

Oh there's a surprise - another red-herring argument from PloverUS...

Where did I say anything about impossible? Work on your comprehension please, for all our sakes.

#2086578 - 05/22/13 04:18 AM Re: Why so many people like Steingraeber? [Re: Norbert]
joe80 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Norbert
When it comes to world's top makers it's in the end more the artist expressing the music than the instrument itself.

A good cowboy rides on the worst of horses and on good ones of course "perfectly" - exactly the way he wants the horse to go.

You can discuss a number of high end kitchen tools, pots and pans but it's always the chef who actually cooks the meal.

And the cook is "you" - the player.

Small detail perhaps worth keeping in mind...

Norbert smile

Hey Norbert,

You're totally right there, and I think that when it comes to the top makes it's just a matter of taste more than quality.

Re the point about the cook - that's fine but if the oven doesn't work.... ;-)

It's OK I'm just being cantankerous.

#2086582 - 05/22/13 04:28 AM Re: Why so many people like Steingraeber? [Re: Roy Roy]
belsha Offline

Loc: Paris, France
I think there's a good deal of snobbery in this: Steingraeber is a tiny manufacturer from a small but mythical german city (Wagner's Bayreuth), the brand is little known or even completely unknown outside of a small circle of aficionados, there's a definite cool factor to preferring an obscure brand to the world's most famous one.

This being said, Steingraeber makes wonderful pianos, without any question some of the best in the world. In Europe, by the way, they are about 10% cheaper than Steinways (Hamburg, of course), and Boesendorfer, Fazioli, and Bechsteins, which all cost about the same price.

But to me comparing these pianos, and the Steingraeber and the Steinway in particular, really doesn't make any sense at all, they are so different. Steinways have a rich, complex, earthy, wooden sound no other piano has. Steingraeber, on the other hand, are on the opposite side of the tonal spectrum, a very pure, singing sound, chime and clarinet-like sound that some could find a little bland, or even hollow. They also have a very peculiar action, it's very light but extremely precise. It's a completely different sensation at first, but very easy to adapt too. I think, if I remember well, that this is a specific Steingraeber design, and it sets these pianos apart not only from the Steinway, but from all other brands.

I once completely fell in love of a barely used Steingraeber 205 at a great price, and was decided to buy it, until I found a 1950 Steinway D at an even cheaper price (Ironically this Steinway has a very round pure sound that is more reminescent of the Steingraeber than more recent Steinways), a temptation I couldn't resist. I then considered for a while to exchange my Model B for the Steingraeber, but it's such a lovely piano too...

At this level, it really boils down to taste and the repertoire you play on them. I would not play the same music on both pianos, as a jazz pianist I would improvise and voice differently, as a classical pianist, I would prefer the Steingraeber for Mozart and Schumann, maybe Ravel and possibly Bach, but wouldn't like it at all in Chopin or Bartok, or late Beethoven. Generally, the Steingraeber lacks the dimension of a percussion instrument that's also part of the pianos spectrum, and that Steinway does so well (this is because the Steinway emphasizes the dissonant harmonics more while the Steingraeber emphasizes the fundamental, consonant ones, almost like a square wave). The Steingraeber is more of a vocal instrument than a percussion one. The Steinway really has all those dimensions wrapped up in one.

But of course, in a perfect world, I would love to have a Steinway, a Steingraber and a Bösendorfer in the same room, in my opinion these three pianos pretty much give you all the nuances and colors you could need (While the Fazioli is also very good, and possibly the best of the lot, in my opinion it doesn't have such an unique personality and sound as those three, it's more of a synthesis).

Edited by belsha (05/22/13 04:33 AM)

#2086585 - 05/22/13 04:51 AM Re: Why so many people like Steingraeber? [Re: Roy Roy]
joe80 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

In an ideal world, as you say, we'd all have different instruments available to us for different repertoire. However, many times I turn up to a venue with a programme prepared, and I have to play what's there no matter what.

Only once did I have to change my (entire!) programme, because the piano was just too bad to cope with what I'd prepared.

I suppose, if every piano I played on was a slightly under par New York Steinway, then I'd be better off than I am now where it might be a 100 year old no name baby grand, a clapped out Bechstein, or a Young Chang with action centres that make you need to play like Supergran. (80s TV character.....)

#2086590 - 05/22/13 05:18 AM Re: Why so many people like Steingraeber? [Re: joe80]
belsha Offline

Loc: Paris, France
Originally Posted By: joe80
In an ideal world, as you say, we'd all have different instruments available to us for different repertoire. However, many times I turn up to a venue with a programme prepared, and I have to play what's there no matter what.

Only once did I have to change my (entire!) programme, because the piano was just too bad to cope with what I'd prepared.

I suppose, if every piano I played on was a slightly under par New York Steinway, then I'd be better off than I am now where it might be a 100 year old no name baby grand, a clapped out Bechstein, or a Young Chang with action centres that make you need to play like Supergran. (80s TV character.....)

Well yes, of course, there was a part of irony in my "perfect world" quote, meaning we're very well off with whatever of these great pianos.

I believe Andras Schiff made a series of Beethoven sonatas with both a Steinway D and a Boesendorfer on stage, switching between the two depending on the sonata.

As a jazz pianist, we don't have this problem so much, because we simply will change our playing according to the pianos sound and action (say more percussive or more lyrical depending on the sound, or more sparse or more virtuoso depending on the action).

I remember opening for Michel Petrucciani at various festivals in France when I was in my early twenties. The pianos were always Hamburg Steinway D's, but at the first gig, it was a truly uninspiring, clumsy, inexpressive and cold instrument, a real dog as sometimes even Hamburg makes. I played a horrible set, I just couldn't connect to the instrument, and felt so embarrassed. But then Michel also played a very mediocre set, and I thought "is this what all the fuss is about ?". At the next gig, there was a great Steinway, I played a lot better, and Michel just blew my socks off....(he also played for a much longer time, clearly enjoying himself which he didn't the first time".

So this pretty much happens to everybody, and at every level....

#2086597 - 05/22/13 06:15 AM Re: Why so many people like Steingraeber? [Re: Roy Roy]
joe80 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Classical pianists do some adapting to the action too - or at least, they should.

Being in Paris have you played any of the new Pleyels?

#2086612 - 05/22/13 07:23 AM Re: Why so many people like Steingraeber? [Re: joe80]
bennevis Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Classical pianists are usually a lot more demanding of the piano they play than jazz pianists - not surprisingly, since classical music relies a lot more on voicing (in the classical sense - polyphonic strands in complex passages as well as chords) and tonal production, including of course fast, even passagework; and may choose a different piano (if they have the clout to do so), depending on the program they are playing.

In extreme cases, you have Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli touring Europe with his two Steinways - one for Beethoven, the other for Debussy. I couldn't discern much difference in their sounds per se when I attended that concert, but obviously he could, and he certainly adopted a different touch and articulation for the different composers (the Beethoven angular and abrasive, the Debussy all muted and pastel colors).

Watch the video/DVD 'Pianomania' to see Pierre-Laurent Aimard's long quest for a piano for his forthcoming Bach recording and concert, and almost driving his technician nuts with his demands......... grin

#2086625 - 05/22/13 07:50 AM Re: Why so many people like Steingraeber? [Re: joe80]
Almaviva Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, Virginia
Joe - the "new" Pleyels? I thought Pleyel went out of business (several times). If they have resurrected this company with a performance-grade piano line, that's good news. If the new Pleyel is nothing but another consumer-grade "stencil brand", that's NOT good news.

#2086646 - 05/22/13 08:33 AM Re: Why so many people like Steingraeber? [Re: Roy Roy]
joe80 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi Alma,

Pleyel have gone out of business several times, and for a while Schimmel actually made Pleyel. Of course, they were Schimmel pianos with the Pleyel name, so they were actually quite good.

These days I believe that they are a fully hand built grand piano made in France, and they are very expensive. Perhaps they see themselves in the league of Fazioli or something. I haven't seen any of the most recent pianos.

#2086743 - 05/22/13 11:43 AM Re: Why so many people like Steingraeber? [Re: belsha]
Almaviva Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: belsha
This being said, Steingraeber makes wonderful pianos, without any question some of the best in the world. In Europe, by the way, they are about 10% cheaper than Steinways (Hamburg, of course), and Boesendorfer, Fazioli, and Bechsteins, which all cost about the same price.

Belsha, you have just given me another good reason to visit France! wink

In America, most Steingraeber models retail for much MORE than a comparably-sized Steinway (Hamburg or New York), Bluthner, Bechstein, Boesendorfer, Fazioli, etc.

Vive la France!

#2086746 - 05/22/13 11:47 AM Re: Why so many people like Steingraeber? [Re: Roy Roy]
Norbert Offline

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Anybody who has travelled the world, been to many trade shows, seen and played a great many pianos knows the situation: there's many great pianos out there.

Sometimes the landscape shifts a bit or a particular model by one maker leaves an indelible mark on one's mind but it's never just "one" nor does it stay that way.

Thinking that the discussion as in this thread should impress that "variety is spice of life" not as is naively presumed, eating steak and lobster every single day.

Those who keep writing about all kinds of makes and models without even knowing them, as seems to freqeuntly be the case here, are encouraged to do so.

It may give them the curious impression that once you played the "best of the best", another nice girl will be giving you soon the wink.

Final lesson to be learned: pianos can be as seductive as women....

Norbert wink

Edited by Norbert (05/22/13 11:50 AM)

#2086761 - 05/22/13 12:09 PM Re: Why so many people like Steingraeber? [Re: Norbert]
Karl Watson Offline

Replying to both of belsha's carefully considered and thoughtful posts (a relief from other's arch poses and crushing rejoinders) - one would have to say Amen to almost everything.

At the end of the day there is the Matterhorn of the occasional, well-regulated and evenly voiced Steinway D. It will always be the ultimate for most baby-boomer Americans. I have to say that it is for me. For those contemplating a career it has always been No.1 and I see no end in sight.

However, one might, quite privately prefer to LIVE with another sound world. Being an American, I love the tone of a vintage M&H. For an older generation it could well be a Chickering.

But I think that one discounts the Steingraeber at one's own risk. It might come from a provincial German house, but it is an extraordinary piano, no qualifications of any kind and the astounding thing is that the full range of both grands and even verticals all have distiction. The seductive quality of which our Norbert speaks is palpable.

Just my feeble opinion.

Karl Watson,
Staten Island, NY

#2086816 - 05/22/13 01:26 PM Re: Why so many people like Steingraeber? [Re: Almaviva]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
Originally Posted By: Almaviva

...In America, most Steingraeber models retail for much MORE than a comparably-sized Steinway (Hamburg or New York), Bluthner, Bechstein, Boesendorfer, Fazioli, etc.

I'm not sure that's all correct. At least when I did my hunt, Faziolis were running higher, and I'd be surprised if Steingraebers were retailing for MUCH more than Hamburg Steinways or Bosies. Bechsteins, yes.

Edited by ClsscLib (05/22/13 01:30 PM)

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#2086840 - 05/22/13 02:11 PM Re: Why so many people like Steingraeber? [Re: ClsscLib]
Almaviva Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hmmm. I must have transposed some numbers in my spreadsheet.

I recalculated, and the Steingraeber models had a significantly higher Suggested Maximum Price in the latest "Piano Buyer" than did comparably-sized Steinways (both factories) and Bluthners. However, the Steingraebers, Bosendorfers, Bechsteins and Faziolis were more evenly matched.

Sorry about that.

#2086845 - 05/22/13 02:15 PM Re: Why so many people like Steingraeber? [Re: Roy Roy]
shortie Offline

When I looked for a piano for my home, I played about 50 different makes, models, Steingraeber 212 was my favorite, followed by a Grotrian 209.. they are too expensive though, so I got a Steinway B. frown

Edited by shortie (05/22/13 02:15 PM)

#2086934 - 05/22/13 05:02 PM Re: Why so many people like Steingraeber? [Re: Minnesota Marty]
patH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
Originally Posted By: R_B
Not to wander too far into the ELECTRONIC domain, but isn't the HOPE that (one day, some day) these preferences will be "switch selectable" ?

NO !!

Get ye back to the evil digital corner!

If Yamaha masters the TransAcoustic technology it might become a reality. smile

#2086937 - 05/22/13 05:06 PM Re: Why so many people like Steingraeber? [Re: Roy Roy]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
It is certainly not my HOPE.

I don't think I'm alone in my attitude toward acoustic pianos. Electronic STUFF, is just that - It is not a piano and pianos don't need switches.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2091087 - 05/29/13 01:57 AM Re: Why so many people like Steingraeber? [Re: Roy Roy]
Gary Fowler Offline

I wouldn't mind owning a Steingraeber to add to my personal collection. I already have an August Forster 7', and a Steinway K though.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
143 registered (36251, alans, accordeur, 44 invisible), 1430 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75609 Members
42 Forums
156342 Topics
2296225 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha P-85 closer to a Grand Piano action than any Upright!
by Paul678
08/01/14 07:22 PM
Do someone have a Sciortino Insta-COILER
by Olek
08/01/14 06:55 PM
Buying used piano for school district - need advice/cautions
by ChoralScholar
08/01/14 05:34 PM
Help with a leg!
by igirl
08/01/14 04:53 PM
Have you had to fire your piano teacher? Why?
by alans
08/01/14 04:02 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission