Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2139424 - 08/26/13 10:20 PM Re: Maknig Good Tuning Pin Coils [Re: BDB]
Chuck Behm Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boone, Iowa, USA
Hi BDB - You're counting pins to come up with that figure, I presume. I'm counting strings - each treble string being connected to two pins.

But really, it's just a guesstimate on my part. I would guess that for the entire piano, the process adds an hour or two to the total time as compared to just yanking each string tight and chopping it off at a hand's width.

I know that every time I do a job like this, the first few strings and pins seem to go slow, but as I get into a rhythm, I pick up speed.

One thing I try to do is to always lay the tools down in exactly the same spot, so that I can reach for them automatically instead of looking and searching each time I switch from one tool to the next. Since it's always the same tools used in the same order, it's easy to gain some speed that way without sacrificing quality.

As I'm sure I've stated before, we always work by the job, not by the hour, with the price decided upon before we start. I enjoy working a lot more when I'm not feeling rushed. Chuck

"The act of destruction is infinitely easier than the act of creation" - Arthur C. Clarke

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#2139567 - 08/27/13 07:37 AM Re: Maknig Good Tuning Pin Coils [Re: Maximillyan]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
the stringer have usually 2 saw lines on his wire cutter. one for strings with small stretch, one for the large one.

Edited by Olek (08/27/13 07:43 AM)

#2139579 - 08/27/13 08:51 AM Re: Maknig Good Tuning Pin Coils [Re: Chuck Behm]
Maximillyan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: KZ
Originally Posted By: Chuck Behm

I know that every time I do a job like this, the first few strings and pins seem to go slow, but as I get into a rhythm, I pick up speed.

One thing I try to do is to always lay the tools down in exactly the same spot, so that I can reach for them automatically instead of looking and searching each time I switch from one tool to the next. Since it's always the same tools used in the same order, it's easy to gain some speed that way without sacrificing quality.

I've never dealt with reinstalling all the piano strings, I did a reinstalling old and broken. However I'm agree with you,Chuck Behm, that the amount of time spent on each string must not be a subject of discussion. The main thing is that each new string has been set to the correct it's historical becket angle and it have certain number of coils. It must firmly lay capo (bar) . Other odds and ends must made same, I think so

#2139585 - 08/27/13 09:21 AM Re: Maknig Good Tuning Pin Coils [Re: Maximillyan]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

perfect eyelets are also very important, in case there is one by string, loose eyelets will release much length when tightened, so there also the job must be consistent.

I do not restring enough pianos /year to be as good as a "stringer", but try to be consistent indeed.

A small paper ruler with a magnet at the back have proved to be useful at the beginning of the job, to calibrate the eye.
I learned with the 3-4 fingers as a measuring tool, but did string way more pianos at that time so indeed the job was good after some time.
The principle was to make the first side tight, turn around the plate pin and be used to the slack left for the lenght cut on the left string. The strings are installed in the bridge at the end.

No need to use pliers to pull on the wire, nor to make a becket, for me. Minimal tools, consistency. The beckets are pushed tight in the pin before tension is added.
it sometime make the coils oval for a moment, not a problem, what count is that the wire is well inserted in the hole, if not the angle may round with the tension.

some back and forth corrections necessary sometime, the less the best indeed.

#2140079 - 08/28/13 07:23 AM Re: Maknig Good Tuning Pin Coils [Re: Chuck Behm]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Chuck Behm
Hi all - I got interested in this topic a long time back when I tuned a piano which had been restrung by an out of state rebuilder. The beckets were nearly perfectly aligned, and with my string cutting technique (using the old hand width measurement standard) my beckets never looked that uniform, not by a long shot.

Anyway, on my next restringing, I started working on more precision, and over time got to the point where my beckets are very uniform.

If you would like to look over my methods, which add probably a minute per string to the process, check out this article I wrote up for Schaff - that is if you haven't seen it before. I hope it is helpful. Chuck

Chuck, the strings are massaged, in the way I learned. Relatively strong and with a hard wood extremity (makes some heat).

The beckets can be more lining, also, indeed it is not so easy on verticals due to the tightening of the pressure bar, but it is possible.

The method that use a coil tightening tool from above and no protuberating becket, allow for really tight coils as they can be tapped with the piano chipped.

If not , there is a fair abuse of the coil tightening tool while the piano is pulled to pitch, the tool need to be first quality and it is not really easy.

What I hate is dismounting a string because I see I missed my cut.up to 1/4 turn I will leave it after evening the mistake between the 2 tuning pins.

Edited by Olek (08/28/13 07:27 AM)

#2140444 - 08/28/13 09:44 PM Re: Maknig Good Tuning Pin Coils [Re: Maximillyan]
tdv Offline

Loc: MI
Is there a really good string coil compressor tool for compressing from the bottom of the coil when there is significant tension on the string - not brought up to pitch, but not loose either? I have been looking around for one but have not found anything that does a good job on almost all of the pins. Some do a good job on some of the pins, but then don't work well on others. I am actually working on a new design that might work. Please note that I said that it might work. I am not sure at all. Today I have actually been filing away on a Schaff #3151 tool to make one of the parts for my proposed compressor tool. But it would be a waste of time to put 10 - 20 hours in designing, shaping, and welding together a new tool if there is a great tool that I have not yet been able to find.

Edited by tdv (08/28/13 09:49 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Advice? First digital piano for family--already own a GP
by SCD
10/20/14 07:58 PM
Help with my DGX-650 and Synthesia!
by Jtreimer
10/20/14 07:21 PM
Piano tuning career prospects 2014
by Morrisos
10/20/14 06:56 PM
Ack! My piano is diseased!
by TwoSnowflakes
10/20/14 06:34 PM
Painting Piano Keys
by imustlearn
10/20/14 06:00 PM
Who's Online
127 registered (angga888, anotherscott, 36251, anamnesis, accordeur, 39 invisible), 1475 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158391 Topics
2325857 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission