Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#2064668 - 04/14/13 08:38 PM Re: Greatest piano movie or piano scene of all time [Re: Alex Hernandez]
James Scott Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Those are all great, here's a few more:

Futurama, when Bender is drifting in space: He pulls a small grand out of his chest and plays Chopin Polonaise in C-Sharp Minor, Op. 26, No. 1.

The Portrait of Dorian Gray, someone goes into a dive in some place at the seaside and someones playing a Chopin etude (prelude maybe I can't remember).

Arthur, when Dudley Moore's character is entertaining his guests at his birthday party. He was a very fabulous pianist.

And anything with the Marx Bros.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2064670 - 04/14/13 08:42 PM Re: Greatest piano movie or piano scene of all time [Re: Alex Hernandez]
James Scott Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
There's a movie with the late great John Ritter, I can't remember what the name is. While he's playing a piano, the girl he was playing for lights a match and throws it into the piano and he keeps trying to play while it goes up in flames. Tragic, but funny.

#2064720 - 04/14/13 11:33 PM Re: Greatest piano movie or piano scene of all time [Re: Alex Hernandez]
Almaviva Offline

Loc: Richmond, Virginia
There was a movie released in 1978 called "Fingers". It starred Harvey Keitel as a virtuoso pianist who also has a job collecting debts for his loan shark father. His musical inclinations come from his mother, who is unfortunately in a mental institution now. A very good performance of Bach's Toccata in D minor recurs throughout the film.

#2064873 - 04/15/13 09:20 AM Re: Greatest piano movie or piano scene of all time [Re: James Scott]
patH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: James Scott
The Portrait of Dorian Gray, someone goes into a dive in some place at the seaside and someones playing a Chopin etude (prelude maybe I can't remember).

It's a prelude, and it's important because at the relative beginning of the movie, Dorian Gray plays it for Sybil Vane; and in the later part of the movie it's her brother James who recognizes the piece.

NB: I'm talking about the old Dorian Gray movie.

#2065278 - 04/16/13 12:45 AM Re: Greatest piano movie or piano scene of all time [Re: Alex Hernandez]
Daniel R Offline

I know it was already said, but this is my favorite too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XsWI9EEric

#2065358 - 04/16/13 05:49 AM Re: Greatest piano movie or piano scene of all time [Re: Alex Hernandez]
Jinoreginar Offline

#2065499 - 04/16/13 12:08 PM Re: Greatest piano movie or piano scene of all time [Re: Alex Hernandez]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Pardon if this has already been said (and even if it has been, it deserves to be said again).... ha

Song to Remember, Chopin movie, when Chopin hadn't yet been accepted into 'music society,' Liszt asks the lights to be turned down before he starts playing Chopin's 2nd Scherzo -- and when the lights come back on, they've traded places and it's Chopin playing.

I don't care at all that this never really happened. grin

#2065641 - 04/16/13 05:13 PM Re: Greatest piano movie or piano scene of all time [Re: Alex Hernandez]
Brad Hoehne Offline

Loc: Ohio
I wouldn't say that this is "the greatest" piano scene, but I don't think it's been mentioned, and it's quite lovely if you can get around the somewhat morally suspect followup:

That scene in the movie "Blade Runner" where Deckard (Harrison Ford) falls asleep beat up and drunk, and groggily awakens to find Rachel (Sean Young), letting down her hair and trying to see if she "remembers" how to play the piano. I like how the simple music, and single notes, she plays elides into the Vangelis soundtrack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjO8wsjPqbg

Edited by Brad Hoehne (04/16/13 05:17 PM)

Currently working on:
Rach. Prelude Op 32 #12
Debussy Images #1 "Reflets dans L'eau"
Mozart Piano Sonata #17, K570
Playing by ear and "filling out" pop tunes

#2065644 - 04/16/13 05:19 PM Re: Greatest piano movie or piano scene of all time [Re: Robert H]
Brad Hoehne Offline

Originally Posted By: Robert H
Hi all,

This one is not specifically a piano movie,... but it's a must see movie!! The King of Kong!

I love that movie!

It makes me consider "Piano Documentaries" as well as fiction films. I love this scene from 'The art of the Piano" where Glenn Gould practices in his country home. He gets up in the middle of a phrase, thinks about the phrase at the window, and then sits back down and continues where the piece would be had he not stopped playing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB76jxBq_gQ

Edited by Brad Hoehne (04/16/13 05:32 PM)

Currently working on:
Rach. Prelude Op 32 #12

#2065925 - 04/17/13 09:28 AM Re: Greatest piano movie or piano scene of all time [Re: Alex Hernandez]
twitchypinkies Offline

Not the "greatest," perhaps (though three of these are among my favorite movies of all time), but a few more that spring to mind (sorry if any were mentioned before):

Schindler's List, where the SS are combing through an apartment building looking for Jews hiding in the walls and one of them sits down at an upright piano amid all of the gunfire and mayhem to play a jaunty Bach piece.

Silence of the Lambs, where Hannibal Lecter calmly butchers his prison guards while the Goldberg Variations play on a tape recorder in his cell.

Gattaca, where a pianist plays an "enhanced" impromptu by Schubert that requires six fingers on each hand. The mind reels imagining what the great composers could have done with a bit of imaginative genetic engineering.

There's a scene in This is Spinal Tap where Nigel plays a haunting tune of his own composition, in D minor, the "saddest of all keys," talking about how Bach and Mozart are his big influences. When asked the title of his piece, he says "It's called Lick My Love Pump."

Ray Charles has an unforgettable cameo in the Blues Brothers as the proprietor of a music store who demonstrates that an old electric piano still has some life in it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cnzuI4fsMs

#2065936 - 04/17/13 09:57 AM Re: Greatest piano movie or piano scene of all time [Re: twitchypinkies]
Brad Hoehne Offline

Great picks twitchy.

Currently working on:
Rach. Prelude Op 32 #12

#2164023 - 10/09/13 05:02 PM Re: Greatest piano movie or piano scene of all time [Re: Alex Hernandez]
Edtek Offline

Loc: El Paso
I watched "Secret" on Netflix streaming last night. It's about 2 Chinese piano students who meet under unusual circumstances in music school. Pianos are being played almost continuously and in fact one piano piece figures very (like VERY) strongly in the plot.

It's unusual in that the leading man, Jay Chou, also wrote, directed, and does all his own piano playing in the pic.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised if you give it a view.

#2164065 - 10/09/13 06:46 PM Re: Greatest piano movie or piano scene of all time [Re: Alex Hernandez]
Annitenth Offline

Loc: Texas
Yet another memory..."The Best Years of Our Lives" when the Harold Russell character, who had lost both hands in the war, played "Chopsticks" with his hooks.

#2164146 - 10/09/13 09:08 PM Re: Greatest piano movie or piano scene of all time [Re: Alex Hernandez]
thetandyman Offline

Loc: Indiana
Annitenth, regardless of the piano scene, that is one of the greatest motion pictures ever made. I appreciate you mentioning it on this post. I have the DVD. It was emotional to most WWII vets!

#2164151 - 10/09/13 09:16 PM Re: Greatest piano movie or piano scene of all time [Re: Alex Hernandez]
thetandyman Offline

Loc: Indiana
Call me maudlin, but, as I have mentioned before, I still like the Liberace movie, "Sincerely Yours" I recently bought a DVD of "behind The Candelabra" I have owned the book for years. Sordid, but interesting. Liberace was to be noted for his incredible income, not necessarily for intense recreations.

#2164253 - 10/10/13 02:14 AM Re: Greatest piano movie or piano scene of all time [Re: Alex Hernandez]
Romek Offline

Loc: Warsaw, Poland
Chico Marx - hilarious!

Chico Marx piano

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
75 registered (Asmodeus, Akshay, adanepst, ando, angelsong, 23 invisible), 1227 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153516 Topics
2249686 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Re-stringing an 84yr old Grand.....?
by Grandpianoman
Today at 01:56 AM
Theme identification
by Polyphonist
Today at 01:26 AM
Morning Mist: a ballade for piano
by JoelW
Today at 12:27 AM
Insanity
by Polyphonist
Yesterday at 11:55 PM
Yamaha P140 sluggish keys : how to fix?
by Bambell
Yesterday at 11:52 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission