2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,283 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2260436 04/11/14 08:50 PM
D
Dan2581 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I just moved to a new city and could not bring the acoustic piano with me so I purchased a yamaha p105b based on the price, size, feel, and sound. As soon as I tested it I knew that's what I wanted, nothing over the top but a great sound and feel.

The sales guy told me I would be able to play new sounds (aside from the presets already on it) using a USB cable and software on my computer. I bought the usb cable (type A to type B) but haven't connected anything yet because I don't even know what to do yet.

So I'm sure there is plenty of sounds out there for purchase or download, or that probably come in some sort of software.

So what I'm asking is:

a.) What software do you recommend for my purpose?
b.) What is the process once I have the software and keyboard connected to each other to play new sounds?

D
Dan2581 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
If it helps anyone out or makes it easier, I really only want 1 new sound that would sound just like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGgWf_KnyXo

Obviously that keyboard came preset with that sound, lucky for him. I just need a way to play a similar sound through my keyboard and I really am struggling to find information on this on the internet. Any guidance in the right direction would help a lot.

R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
You can download a demo of pianoteq for free. Has a honky tonk piano in it.

You can also go listen to the Ivory Uprights. Beware...if you compare the two. You'll like the sound of Ivory better.

You'll need to download an ASIO4ALL driver. Taking it for granted you're on a ms based computer. Latency in ms's driver is awful. Apple is fine. No need for a driver.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
D
Dan2581 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by rnaple
You can download a demo of pianoteq for free. Has a honky tonk piano in it.

You can also go listen to the Ivory Uprights. Beware...if you compare the two. You'll like the sound of Ivory better.

You'll need to download an ASIO4ALL driver. Taking it for granted you're on a ms based computer. Latency in ms's driver is awful. Apple is fine. No need for a driver.

Thanks for helping me get started!

I just wanna figure out how this all works for now, and will dial in the right sound later. I am currently playing a lot of ragtime and like the sound better than the grand piano. Not to knock the grand piano, I'm amazed at how well yamaha did emulating it in this keyboard.

Yup I'm on MS, I was researching earlier and I read about some way to reduce latency but not really sure. Are you aware of any of these techniques? I'm sure it comes at a cost of reduced quality or reduced something, but for now anything will work.

Downloading pianoteq now and searching for driver..I'm sure i'll run into an issue here shortly and have more questions.

D
Dan2581 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Wow...that was painless and exactly what I'm looking for. I downloaded both and have the sound I'm looking for coming out of my computer.

I want to play with this more in the future, but I have exactly what I'm looking for now, thx!

Edit: Forgot to add, latency is barely noticeable at all. Maybe I just have low standards but its pretty damn close to instant.

Last edited by Dan2581; 04/11/14 10:30 PM.
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Hey, if it works ... go with it.

Do not look for issues. There will be plenty of opportunity for that later.

Enjoy

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I have pianoteq on mine, and it`s very good particularly for recording. But you might find you can de tune your P105 using the internal menu, and achieve a similar honky tonk effect . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission