2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 5 invisible), 1,300 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Brian, I'm trying to understand the word "parallel". I know that for scales, where we say "relative major" (A minor, C major) and "tonic major" (A minor, C major), in the US you say "parallel major" instead of "tonic major". So is that what you mean by "parallel mode"?

Well modern modes are not like Renaissance modes - it's a different musical system. The solfege (movable do) itself is kind of a bastardization too that doesn't quite fit the old system of music, nor the new one, so I tend to agree with you. In the RCM theory when it came to modes, they actually taught two systems for writing them out - I didn't know what to think about that.

Actually, now that I think about it, in the world where III means 3 minor, what would you call a 3 major chord?

I don't think we had that. If you mean the Bb chord in the key of G minor, that is a major chord (Bb D F). That's the one you called bIII and I would have called III in the system I first learned.

The only system I know where a minor chord would be called III is a system where you don't distinguish quality and III simply means "3rd degree chord, whatever the quality may be". You're just supposed to know that the 3rd degree of a major key is minor so why write it out? My old Horwood book works that way (written in the 1940's).

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by keystring
Brian, I'm trying to understand the word "parallel".

It's the opposite of relative. C major is parallel to C minor or C Dorian. Basically, the tonic stays the same and the rest of the scale degrees change with the new scale.

If you mean the Bb chord in the key of G minor, that is a major chord (Bb D F). That's the one you called bIII and I would have called III in the system I first learned.

No, sorry, I meant a B chord in G minor. I meant to say "in a world where III means a flatted third, what would you call the unflatted third chord?". See the system you are mentioning doesn't take into consideration that there may be chord roots that aren't native to the natural scale.

I'm starting to think we might be boring the rest of the board with this discussion. smile

-Brian
BM in Performance, Berklee College of Music, 23+ year teacher and touring musician
My Downloadable Video Piano Lessons
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music
Originally Posted by Brian Lucas
Brian, I'm trying to understand the word "parallel".

It's the opposite of relative. C major is parallel to C minor or C Dorian. Basically, the tonic stays the same and the rest of the scale degrees change with the new scale.

In Canada we call that the "tonic minor" or "tonic major". "Parallel" is an American term. I didn't know it was also used for modes.

No, sorry, I meant a B chord in G minor. I meant to say "in a world where III means a flatted third, what would you call the unflatted third chord?". See the system you are mentioning doesn't take into consideration that there may be chord roots that aren't native to the natural scale.

What do you mean by "natural scale"? Do you mean as in "natural minor"? Or are you deciding to consider the major scale as being the "natural" scale, and all other scales to be offshoots of that scale?

This is what I meant previously when I wrote of contexts and systems. There are many ways of seeing music, and we create systems around that. But other people may not be sharing those systems, so it has to be defined.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
In Canada we call that the "tonic minor" or "tonic major". "Parallel" is an American term. I didn't know it was also used for modes.

That's interesting. I didn't know that.

What do you mean by "natural scale"?

Ok, so in the key of G minor, Bb major is the III in the system you've mentioned, correct? Bb is the natural scale tone in that key. So, in that system, what would you call a B major chord? As we discussed before, I have 2 names for both those chords, III and bIII. It's been a while since I've done roman numeral analysis, so I'm not sure there is a method for chords that don't start on scale tones. I'm guessing this system may not account for really complex chord changes.

Anyone from other parts of the world like to jump in and tell us how you notate chords?

-Brian
BM in Performance, Berklee College of Music, 23+ year teacher and touring musician
My Downloadable Video Piano Lessons
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission