2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, 9 invisible), 2,093 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2317778 08/20/14 03:11 PM
X
Xari Offline OP
OP Offline
X
I was wondering if there were any exercises to practice jumps and speed-playing. I quit taking lessons a long time ago and halted music theory.

In essence, I'm the guy who can read notes and play intermediate pieces, but when it comes to advanced and difficult pieces I lack the proper skill (most ideal hand placement, chords, arpeggios).

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I highly recommend that you get back to basics: do scales, chords and arpeggios. Depending on what your skills are right now, you may need to start with doing just one octave for these, and then when that's easy in all keys, do two octaves, and so on.

You also will want to do some technical exercises like Hanon. Just pay very close attention to how it feels. If you ever feel fatigue or pain, that means you're doing it wrong and need to slow it down and work out the extra tension.

Lastly, choose your repertoire wisely. Don't jump into the Pathetique sonata first movement if you're only able to play Clementi Op 36 No 1. Want to work on jumps? Find something at your current level that focuses on that - etudes would be best.

Speed comes from knowing what you're playing really well, without unnecessary tension. Working with a metronome can help, but if you aren't able to play something around the tempo indicated it could mean there's a technical issue that needs working out. Unfortunately, unless you know about technique, you will not be able to address that without a teacher.

Take a look at Celebration Series - Perspectives published by Frederick Harris. I don't know your level, but their etudes pieces and repertoire are very good at a working progressively.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
X
Xari Offline OP
OP Offline
X
Thanks for your brilliantly detailed response! Here is a sample piece of what I'm playing right now (not me btw). That's about as fast as I can play without messing up or losing my rhythm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uW6hUnn5Jc

There are a few jumps in there, but not too hard. I mess up quite often--about twice in the song if I'm lucky (and they're rather glaring mistakes).

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission