2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, 9 invisible), 1,250 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Panfilov is a fine pianist, just doesn't have so much personality so can seem a bit dry.

Rajeshkumar on the other hand has a very personal way to interpret music that one either likes or not...

H
Hakki Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by outo
Panfilov is a fine pianist, just doesn't have so much personality so can seem a bit dry.

Rajeshkumar on the other hand has a very personal way to interpret music that one either likes or not...

I agree on Panfilov.

Rajeshkumar, yes he is different with his own ideas. But I think that bass line in the main theme of the fourth Ballade was, well too eccentric for me.
But who knows after a little shock the jury might like it.

O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
I really like Taratushkin, he plays with clarity and lightness while maintaining a beautiful singing tone. Everything is very well balanced and the music comes out the way it should. I don't generally care much for Bach but I enjoyed his partita.

Compared to him Xu's Bach and Haydn seem a bit heavy, sometimes even harsh. But I really liked her Scarbo…

O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Yasynsky...Nothing wrong with his playing I guess, but does not appeal to me. If these young pianists think “expressing” in their face and body will transfer into the playing and to the listener, it really doesn't, quite the opposite. Constantly aiming for dramatic effect isn't that effective either.

Greco...His hard tone and banging style is too much for me, time to go to bed.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
If these young pianists think “expressing” in their face and body will transfer into the playing and to the listener, it really doesn't, quite the opposite. Constantly aiming for dramatic effect isn't that effective either.
I feel quite differently. I think most of the audience watches a performer's face, and if the expression is genuine it can add a lot to a performance.

The above is not an endorsement of a LL type of approach which most consider to be non genuine. And it also does not mean that the most stone faced and motionless playing cannot be moving also. It's a question of degree I think, and most pianists show some emotion on their face even it is subtle.

For me at least, when a pianist like Trifonov emotes facially in the extreme, this only adds to his sense of involvement in the music.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 09/13/14 07:25 PM.
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
If these young pianists think “expressing” in their face and body will transfer into the playing and to the listener, it really doesn't, quite the opposite. Constantly aiming for dramatic effect isn't that effective either.
I feel quite differently. I think most of the audience watches a performer's face, and if the expression is genuine it can add a lot to a performance.

I guess this is where we differ. Of course my pianist ideal is ABM wink

With Yasynsky there were moments, especially in the Prok, when I wasn't watching and suddenly felt his playing was very expressive and then when I looked I noticed he was sitting controlled and calm...so I assume what he does isn't doing any good for his playing. I don't doubt it's genuine, though.

When I look at the seasoned artists with their calm demeanor I feel the expression goes straight from their mind to their playing and is much more effective that way.

O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Huang...Missed her Bach but she plays really well, that Chopin sonata was lovely, expecially the last movement.

BTW. There's a huge difference between listening to the live feed and the Youtube videos. I have the computer hooked into a Hifi-system and when listening to the feed it feels almost like being in the room, I feel can hear every nuance of the playing. Also brings out the differences in the players touches clearly.

Last edited by outo; 09/14/14 05:10 AM.
H
Hakki Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
H
Huang Miao struggled with the Chopin 3rd sonata at times, nothing related to her technique but rather to stage excitement.

O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Hakki
Huang Miao struggled with the Chopin 3rd sonata at times, nothing related to her technique but rather to stage excitement.

Those little things didn't bother me at all, but seems she relaxed more towards the end.

H
Hakki Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
H
Jang Seoyoung's Brahms is falling apart.

O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Jang...Maybe she didn't choose the right repertoire or it just wasn't her day...Quite uninspiring...

J
J
Seems they have chosen the semifinalists and although some were certainly very much deserved, some of the choices are just incomprehensible to me confused

They eliminated the best ones! frown like Candotti, Colafelice and Konczal

O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by jenny86
Seems they have chosen the semifinalists and although some were certainly very much deserved, some of the choices are just incomprehensible to me confused

They eliminated the best ones! frown like Candotti, Colafelice and Konczal

One tends to forget that these competitions are not just about the best performance smile

I find the first Kim too hard to listen to...her playing is so breathless.

O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Liked the second Kim much better, but I missed the first half of her performance.

Melnikov makes his full large tone with his skilful pedal use, which suits very well with his late romantic repertoire. IMO a little less would have been better on Bach and even the Beethoven to get more tonal variety and clarity.

Last edited by outo; 09/14/14 11:34 AM.
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
The finalists:

Xu Gehui China
Huang Miao Germany
Kim Hee Jae Korea
Kim Sangyoung Korea
Melnikov Alexei Russia
Park Sun-A USA

I would have replaced one Kim with Taratushkin, otherwise no surprises there...

H
Hakki Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
H

I would have replaced one Kim with Taratushkin, otherwise no surprises there...

thumb +1

With Yasynsky there were moments, especially in the Prok, when I wasn't watching and suddenly felt his playing was very expressive and then when I looked I noticed he was sitting controlled and calm...so I assume what he does isn't doing any good for his playing. I don't doubt it's genuine, though.

When I look at the seasoned artists with their calm demeanor I feel the expression goes straight from their mind to their playing and is much more effective that way.
A huge number of experienced performers show expression on their faces. And considering all professional pianists(i.e. including not some of the seasoned ones, which BTW doesn't mean they're superior)IMO the majority show expression on their faces.

Martha Argerich, for example, shows plenty of facial expression, often smiling at a passage she particularly enjoys. Why do you think "going directly from their mind to their playing" be an advantage? Do you think Argerich or Trifonov should now be advised to play with the demeanor of Michelangeli or that Kissin should stop moving his body in circles(he also shows tons of expression on his face when seen in close up)?

Of course, "showing emotion" is on a continuous scale so we may be talking about different things and you may be thinking of more extreme examples. I also don't want to imply that I think that showing emotion(body or facial) is necessary for a great performance.

Here are two PW members, Can Cakmur and Brendan Kinsella, who I think show emotion in their facial expressions or bodily movements but IMO never go over the top(or anywhere near "the top") and the physical emotion only adds to their playing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMvK7qZoCHI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBDm3YfNAEA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YINPs_bPXCo&list=PL81ECE615B2396234

Last edited by pianoloverus; 09/15/14 11:39 AM.
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O

A huge number of experienced performers show expression on their faces. And considering all professional pianists(i.e. including not some of the seasoned ones, which BTW doesn't mean they're superior)IMO the majority show expression on their faces.

Martha Argerich, for example, shows plenty of facial expression, often smiling at a passage she particularly enjoys. Why do you think "going directly from their mind to their playing" be an advantage? Do you think Argerich or Trifonov should now be advised to play with the demeanor of Michelangeli or that Kissin should stop moving his body in circles(he also shows tons of expression on his face when seen in close up)?

Of course, "showing emotion" is on a continuous scale so we may be talking about different things and you may be thinking of more extreme examples. I also don't want to imply that I think that showing emotion(body or facial) is necessary for a great performance.

Here are two PW members, Can Cakmur and Brendan Kinsella, who I think show emotion in their facial expressions or bodily movements but IMO never go over the top(or anywhere near "the top") and the physical emotion only adds to their playing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMvK7qZoCHI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBDm3YfNAEA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YINPs_bPXCo&list=PL81ECE615B2396234

I have nothing against expressing emotions on the face! I was talking about excessive body movements and face twisting that seems to interfere with the quality of playing. If and when it doesn't, it's fine. I was watching Kissin the other day and thought he probably needs to work his body that way to play the way he does.

I would think with most top pianists the bodily expressions are sort of side-to-side with the mind-piano process, not part of it if you know what I mean?

ABM also expresses in his face often, while having a very calm posture.

Last edited by outo; 09/15/14 12:49 PM.
H
Hakki Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
H

H
Hakki Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
H
Melnikov gave a very convincing performance of Rach 3rd.

I will be very surprised if he does not win.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission