2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (beeboss, Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,277 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2326991 09/13/14 02:08 AM
J
OP Offline
J
I have located a Baldwin Grand at a church that is selling it. I thought it was a Baldwin R, however the serial number is B291992 and the person I emailed with thinks it's 5'3". I'd have to drive a couple of hours to look at it, so I want to know the model and size ahead of time. It was built in 1990/1991 I believe.

Here is a picture: [Linked Image]

It looks longer than a B1 to me, but who knows. I figured I'd ask the experts here. I have listened to the R on youtube and really like it, but of course need to hear one in person.

J
OP Offline
J
Here is another picture from the front: [Linked Image]

They are asking 3500 for it, but I'm sure I could get it cheaper, but with moving costs I don't want to bother with something that's not going to have good sound.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
The Baldwin R is 5'8", I believe.
Just a word of caution: institutions like churches tend not to get rid of pianos until they are pretty worn out, with some sort of problem they didn't want to pay to fix. Also, given their weekly pattern of usage and to save money, churches tend to vary in temperature quite a lot from day to day, which isn't great for the instrument. Maybe you should hire a technician to inspect it for you before you spend hours driving to see it.

Although not impossible, finding a decent grand piano in serviceable condition for less than $3,500 is going to be a challenge. You can find new low-end verticals and decent quality used verticals for that price pretty easily, however.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Terminaldegree is right, churches can be rough on pianos... on the other hand, you can usually buy a piano from a church pretty reasonable. If it needs work, it needs work, for better or worse.

The music desk looks unusual on that particular piano and I am not aware of 1990's something Baldwin model "B"... an older model "B", yes, but not that late a model.

If you are really interested in the piano, I'd take a look at it in person, measure it yourself, (front edge to tail/back curve at the center of the piano) and then have a qualified tech to look at it for you.

A lot of sellers are not sure, or just don't know what they really have, in terms of size. I've had sellers call a 5'8" a 6'; when it comes to pianos, that's a big difference.

Good luck and keep us informed!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Re: the music desk- almost looks like it is fastened to the flylid.

David

B
BDB Offline
B
I think it is. That is generally the sign of a poor-quality piano.

Del has discussed the problems with the Baldwin B often here. I think this is one to avoid.

Semipro Tech
J
OP Offline
J
Thanks for the advice, this would explain why it's not sold yet, it's been on craigslist for awhile. I think that I will not travel to look at it, but when I get down that way I might see if it's still available.

I'm not necessarily looking for a grand for $3500, but right now I'm limited in funding. It's going to have to be more of a long-term plan it looks like. I'm keeping an eye on Craigslist, but not much is coming up there.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission