2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,315 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
OP Offline
N
Hello, I've been learning piano for quite a while now and I would like recommendations on a digital piano to buy.

I've played on a grand piano before and really enjoyed how it feels so I'd prefer a digital piano with the 'smoothest' feel.

Sound is also important to me as well, and I'd prefer if the digital piano sounded 'full' and 'piano-like' (I'm not good at describing these things, so feel free to use your own tastes because I'm only a novice).

My budget is $1800, and I can stretch up to $2200 if needed.

Thanks,

-Nerdsinc

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
In that price range, the Roland FP-80 and Kawai ES7 are the top contenders, if you want built in speakers. Which feels more like a grand is probably a matter of opinion, and of which grand you are comparing it to (since different grands can feel quite different from each other).

If you don't need speakers, there are other options, but then you may also have to factor the cost of speakers into your budget (unless you are content to play only with headphones).

B
B
Another popular option is to get a kawai vpc1 with rm3ii action and pair it with a software piano like pianoteq and some external monitors. You should be able to find the vpc1 with stand for under 1900usd.

N
OP Offline
N
These keyboards look very nice, but are there any cheaper options? I live in Australia, which basically means everything is a lot more expensive. Though if it is worth it to step up to the FP-80/ES7 then I would be willing to do so.

EDIT: Are there any DP's which come with good pedals? Or would I need to buy my own?

Last edited by Nerdsinc; 09/27/14 12:04 AM.
Originally Posted by Nerdsinc
These keyboards look very nice, but are there any cheaper options? I live in Australia, which basically means everything is a lot more expensive. Though if it is worth it to step up to the FP-80/ES7 then I would be willing to do so.

My opinion is that the old saw "you get what you paid for" is unfortunately true in this case. If you go cheap, you'll get cheap. If however your desire is for,
.. so I'd prefer a digital piano with the 'smoothest' feel.

and
...I'd prefer if the digital piano sounded 'full' and 'piano-like'

then you may wish to be prepared to pay a little more to get it.

EDIT: Are there any DP's which come with good pedals? Or would I need to buy my own?

The DP's web sites will usually tell you whether or not the come with pedals.

Best of luck on your selection!

Keys: Yamaha GC2, Casio Privia PX-5s, Roland RD800, Alesis VI61, Yamaha YC61, Pianoteq 7.0, Native Instruments, Gig Performer
My motto: Play and Let Play!
L
L
I have a Roland LX15. I have some older good headphones, which were OK. But I just succumbed and bought a pair of Grado Reference Series RS2i phones at a price I could not resist - and the difference is astounding.

I am actually choosing to practice on it as much as on my Bechstein.

(Dealers can't provide good tryout earphones as a rule - they disappear too easily.)

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A

Ah, those suggestions were based on your $1800-$2200 figure in the U.S.! But yeah, I'd say those are worth trying to stretch up to, if your aim is to have something with speakers and a high quality action. In a lower price range, though, you might look at the Yamaha P-255. Below that, you're more into "entry" models (which is not to say that they're bad)... i.e. Kawai ES100, Casio PX-x50.

N
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by petes1

My opinion is that the old saw "you get what you paid for" is unfortunately true in this case. If you go cheap, you'll get cheap. If however your desire is for,
.. so I'd prefer a digital piano with the 'smoothest' feel.

and
...I'd prefer if the digital piano sounded 'full' and 'piano-like'

then you may wish to be prepared to pay a little more to get it.

I understand, though as I said, Australia tends to make things a lot more expensive than my budget would like, though I will take the price:performance into consideration.

N
OP Offline
N
I think I might stretch up to the recommendations you suggested. Do you know of any good pedals that I should buy with the aforementioned suggestions? And what is the difference between the ES7 and the FP-80?

Thanks a lot for your help,

-Nerdsinc

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
what is the difference between the ES7 and the FP-80?

For your purposes, different action, different sound. Neither is simply better or worse, it's a matter of what you personally prefer.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Both the ES7 and FP-80 include a pedal that supports half-pedalling.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
FWIW --

You're asking _us_ to suggest a cost/benefit trade-off _for you_.

Until you've gone out into the world, and actually played some of these pianos yourself, you won't know:

. . . what's available on the market, or

. . . what's "good enough" for your ears, fingers, and expected use.

If you can, get some good headphones and start visiting music stores. There are real differences between "low-end" DP's and "high-end" DP's, but you're the only person who can decide how much those differences are worth.

. Charles

PS -- I'd add the Yamaha P155 (recently discontinued, I think) into the mix. Even in Australia, it should be well within your budget. I'm biased toward "slab" pianos, and own a PX-350. That's another low-budget possibility.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Having recently attended a Casio Privia presentation, I was very impressed and would suggest looking at the current crop of these digital pianos.

http://www.casio-usa.com/products/Digital_Pianos_%26_Keyboards/Privia_Digital_Pianos/

If one of these looks good to you, you can then look up prices at Amazon, Sweetwater, etc.

I have a PX-5S and really like it for its key feel, action, sound, and light weight.

Tony

Roland V-Grand

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission