2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
There are no import duties or taxes from Estonia, EU to Denmark, EU. There is the local 20% VAT of Estonia but that is already included in the $24000 price. Mr. Laul even send me the prices of transport from Tallinn to Copenhagen with three different courier companies. It was only about $250.

It seems like I get the best deal with Estonia, quality vs price. The question is whether I like the sound and feel of them. I will have to try them.

Nordiska 120CA (Dongbei) upright from about 2004, Kawai MP11 digital piano, Sennheiser HD 600 headphones.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
A few things to consider:

1 - Are the prices you mention for the Kawais list prices or actual sales prices? Once you are decided about which piano you want a negotiation of the price is fully in order, I guess that is also the case in Denmark.

2 - I would never recommend to buy a piano (of whatever make) you have not extensively played and liked before buying.

3 - About voicing down: Yes, sure, this can be done. However as others pointed out there is a basic character of tone in each piano which is not easy to change. And if you soften the hammers substantially that may have other effects as well (on dynamics, attack behaviour, etc.) that may or may not be wanted. Moreover softened hammers will harden again over time, bringing back the brightness you wanted to avoid in the first place. Hence: Another reason to follow no. 2.

4 - If you import a piano from a foreign country with no dealer around for this brand: What about issues of guarantee, servicing, parts etc. At least you should talk to a piano technician whom you trust and make sure that you can get all the service you need locally.

C
C
How much for the 190?

I would certainly go to Estonia to pick your piano. Tallinn is a delightful place to visit—it's the most intact medieval Capitol in Europe, I believe. I was there last year, but unfortunately the piano factory closes for the summer, so I couldn't visit it.

When we were visiting a medieval abbey near the city wall, the old lady taking admission made a point of telling us we were welcome to sing in the basement chapel, so my sister and I harmonized a verse of the crusaders' hymn.

A few weeks ago I played a beautiful Estonia concert grand, about 10 years old, for sale for $30,000 at one of the piano stores in Salt Lake City. Of course, there are hidden costs—I would have to buy a house to put it in!

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I am beginning to regret having quoted Estonia prices in this thread. Of course, the prices of the two pianos is very relevant when discussing the best option. But I do not want to put Estonia in a difficult position with regards to their factory prices vs us prices. The price I got was from a year ago and I might have misunderstood it or forgotten important hidden costs.

Nordiska 120CA (Dongbei) upright from about 2004, Kawai MP11 digital piano, Sennheiser HD 600 headphones.
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by pinkfloydhomer
I am beginning to regret having quoted Estonia prices in this thread. Of course, the prices of the two pianos is very relevant when discussing the best option. But I do not want to put Estonia in a difficult position with regards to their factory prices vs us prices. The price I got was from a year ago and I might have misunderstood it or forgotten important hidden costs.
Don't regret - prices are relevant to the discussion and we understand everything is a ballpark price. Furthermore, the additional information helps everyone and, I think, the industry as well. If you want to buy a new Ford pickup truck (a popular automobile around here), you can just look it up and get a genaral idea. Why should pianos be any different?
That's part of the power of the Piano Buyer book - he lists the prices pianos usually sell for.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
The currency is USD. It is converted from the EURO price I got from Mr. Laul.

So you're saying that $24000 for the Estonia 168 is a very good price?

The Piano Buyer SMP price is $39,608. So yes, I'd say $24,000 is a good price.

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M

One other thought - the factory doesn't really matter to the US market. Piano prices vary by region, even within the same state in the USA. A different continent? Of course the prices will be different.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission