2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Carey, Dalem01, Cheeeeee, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 8 invisible), 2,051 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Anne H Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I'm a solidly intermediate player who has gotten back into piano in a big way after quitting in college. Previously, I played for 13 years and wish I'd never stopped. I've gotten to the point where I feel like my skills are at the point where my current piano isn't doing it for me. I'm really emotionally attached to my Steinway console from the 1960's (I know, console, but it was there for me when I needed it) and would like to start exploring a larger piano. We live in an older Victorian, so it can't be huge. Ideally, my budget tops out around 10k. My current piano has a trade-in value of $5500, but I don't know if that applies beyond where I bought it or not.

Anyway, suggestions for mellow grands that have some of that classic American sound? I've heard good things about Ritmullers, but there aren't any to try out locally. What other chinese made brands are worthwhile? I've played several Schimmels, Kawaiis, etc and they all seem really bright to me, but that could be how they're prepped.

I appreciate any suggestions!

[Linked Image]
Works in Progress:
Rachmaninoff: Prelude Op 23 No 4

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Anne H
What other chinese made brands are worthwhile? I've played several Schimmels, Kawaiis, etc and they all seem really bright to me, but that could be how they're prepped.

It could also be the room. A bright room can affect all the pianos in the room. I think that might have happened because I don't usually think of a Kawai as a bright piano.

Hailun, new Baldwins and Ritmuller are the most famous Chinese brands, I guess.

If I were you, I would take my time and enjoy playing many different types of pianos before deciding.

Poetry is rhythm
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Try Petrof (it's not classic American of course, but many who favor a non-bright sound do like it). The Chinese brands that come to my mind have already been mentioned.

You mention that space is a significant issue. Sometimes in these situations a high end upright is excellent. I faced that issue in my teaching studio and I love the Fandrich piano I found. That FVA action outperforms many grands. Fandrich pianos are rare, but you might be able to find a Sauter or a Steingraeber. Audition it if you can find one. Used those might be in your price range. I didn't notice if you listed your region, so depending on where you are you might not be able to find any pianos in that category.

One other idea: a used Baldwin grand. You may find you like the sound, and they are nice pianos and obviously are the classic American sound.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
A
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
I can't imagine how the OP is going to find a Sauter, Steingraeber or even a good Petrof any where near her budget of $10K. Even $20K would be a challenge for uprights by those makers, and she's specified a desire to buy a small grand.

Anne,
I've been really impressed with some of the Perzina's I've tried. You can add those to your list of pianos to try. If I were in your shoes I'd be largely putting my focus on the used market. The odds of finding anything new within your budget that suits your needs seems slim from my own experiences looking at what's out there.

If you're in a position to put your $10k as a down payment towards financing something for closer to $20k then I think you stand to find something you really like. That's what I did when I bought my grand 5 years ago. But carrying debt isn't for everyone.
Good luck!

Last edited by AJF; 10/31/14 10:13 PM.

Jazz/Improvising Pianist, Composer, University Prof.
At home: C. Bechstein Concert 8, Roland RD88
At work: Kawai GX2, Dave Smith Prophet Rev2 16-voice
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by AJF
I can't imagine how the OP is going to find a Sauter, Steingraeber or even a good Petrof any where near her budget of $10K. Even $20K would be a challenge for uprights by those makers, and she's specified a desire to buy a small grand.

I meant a previously owned piano, sorry if that wasn't clear. Ernani just posted a thread about his 6'4" Petrof he bought for 10K, and I do see nice ones in that range from time to time. Certainly possible. The Sauter or Steingraeber upright would again have to be used (if that wasn't clear). Here's one from a dealer for 12.9K: http://atlanticmusiccenter.com/inventory/pianos/type/Upright . I don't know the dealer, btw. But a two second internet search yielded an easily answer, "yes it's possible." Dealers are often willing to negotiate, and private party sales are often cheaper than from a dealer.

She mentioned space was an issue. That's why I mentioned a high end upright. Sometimes people who haven't played high end uprights don't really understand that they are serious, high quality instruments. I didn't until I started playing some. Especially in USA there is a mindset of "serious piano = big grand".

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Anne H
... I've played several Schimmels, Kawaiis, etc and they all seem really bright to me, but that could be how they're prepped.

I agree with another comment - don't rush the process - take 6 months and enjoy playing a variety of pianos. Make notes about the piano after each play.

Bright - could be the environment. Many stores have big windows, hard floors and aren't the same acoustics you would hopefully have at home. It could also be what you're used to. I don't mind a bright sound in a piano - in fact, if I come across a mellow sounding one it sounds quite wrong to me. But, I did have a YAMAHA upright for 30 yrs.

Keep playing pianos - take your pile of music and spend time on each one (unless it's just awful), that way you'll get to understand their sound - and make a good comparative judgment.

Personally, I'm fussier with the action response. In my last round of auditioning pianos, I found that some I could just sit and play, they'd seem to pamper my playing and I didn't want to leave. But in each case it was how it felt much more than how it sounded.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Hi, Anne ---

Given that you're in New Orleans, it's a good idea to shop very locally. Used is the way to meet your price point, and you don't want to bring one in from a place that doesn't have your local humidity and heat. Don't get hung up on specific makes. The best deal for you could be on any of a dozen or more makes. Since you already have a piano, you must have a tuner/tech you use. Ask him/her about where to find what you want, and have it inspected by the person who will be maintaining it for you.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by JohnSprung
you don't want to bring one in from a place that doesn't have your local humidity and heat.
Why not? The original factory probably doesn't have the same climate. I'm not saying you're wrong, John, but I'm actually asking the question... why not... what will happen? I live in a "piano heaven" climate so I do realize there are some issues we don't face in CA.
The best deal for you could be on any of a dozen or more makes.
I agree. That's why it's important broaden the horizons, and play lots of pianos until you discover what's right for you.

A
Anne H Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thank you all for the great responses! Unbeknownst to me, my husband found a GH 160R Ritmuller and took me down to play it yesterday - I found out once I fell in love with it that he planned to upgrade my piano for my birthday this month! They offered it to us for a very good price since it's where we bought our first piano and we have a good relationship with them, so since I love it I think it may be fate. It had that darker sound quality that I associate with German pianos.

As far as climate, I've talked to my technician about it and he says that most pianos here that have serious problems come from a school/church environment. Most home pianos that are well serviced hold up fine over the years, he says. I know he has several clients Uptown with some very expensive heirloom pianos that are still going strong, so I think as long as your house is decently insulated the climate isn't a huge issue. Our house is from 1899, but with double insulated flooring and other additions it's nearly as efficient as a newer place.

[Linked Image]
Works in Progress:

J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Congratulations--this sounds like great serendipity!

1989 Baldwin R
A
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Congrats on finding a piano that you love!

Jazz/Improvising Pianist, Composer, University Prof.
At home: C. Bechstein Concert 8, Roland RD88
At work: Kawai GX2, Dave Smith Prophet Rev2 16-voice
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Congrats! Sounds like you found a piano you'll enjoy for a long time.

P
P
Your story and mine have a lot in common. I own a Steinway console (Regency)that I bought new in 1970. All my lessons were on grands so I knew what I was missing. I acquired an old Hardman Peck grand in 1974 and practiced on it instead of the Steinway. I kept the Steinway because my two kids were taking lessons and it was handy to have two pianos. Last year I decided to treat myself to a new piano...a Ritmuller GH 160R!! You will love your new piano. P.S. Hardman is still going strong at a friends house.

A
Anne H Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by PianoRon
Your story and mine have a lot in common. I own a Steinway console (Regency)that I bought new in 1970. All my lessons were on grands so I knew what I was missing. I acquired an old Hardman Peck grand in 1974 and practiced on it instead of the Steinway. I kept the Steinway because my two kids were taking lessons and it was handy to have two pianos. Last year I decided to treat myself to a new piano...a Ritmuller GH 160R!! You will love your new piano. P.S. Hardman is still going strong at a friends house.

Those old Steinway consoles are workhorses - I'm impressed with how mine has held up. I hope someone else gets lots of enjoyment out of it! I got lucky enough to have access to a Steinway grand as a teenager for several years when my uncle couldn't fit it into his apartment at the time - it's hard to go back once you've tried a grand.

Thanks for the good review of your Ritmuller! I'm really looking forward to mine. Did you have to redo the space you had it in very much to compensate for the larger sound?

[Linked Image]
Works in Progress:

P
P
The room that the Ritmuller is in is fairly large so no compensation was needed, just moved one grand out and another one in. Please post a photo when yours arrives.

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by musicpassion
[Why not? The original factory probably doesn't have the same climate. I'm not saying you're wrong, John, but I'm actually asking the question... why not... what will happen?

In a tropical climate, the high humidity makes everything except the plate and strings swell up. So, you're looking at a lot of regulation and tuning expense for a while until you get the piano adapted to the humidity. So, you can save money by buying a local used piano that's already been adjusted at the previous owner's expense to the climate of New Orleans. Likewise, if you were to take a New Orleans piano to Phoenix, you'd have the opposite adjustment, everything would get loose.

New pianos often require a lot of local work on the receiving end. Steinway in particular leaves a lot of work for the dealer techs to finish up.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Ok, that makes sense. Thanks.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission