2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, AlkansBookcase, 11 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2360780 12/12/14 01:21 AM
M
mek42 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Is there any harm in making a copy of a piece not in C (or Am) and highlighting the notes that are black keys? I'm a rank beginner, just added B in the Alfred All-in-One at page 35.

Any other suggestions on learning the black keys?

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Go right ahead and highlight them And don't feel a shred of guilt when you do it.

I have three degrees and have taught music for forty years ... and if you look at my scores, you will see many notes marked in. Sometimes a "brain bug" causes me to miss a note and I pencil it in. Sometimes there's an unusual hand position and I add a warning arrow.

The most important trick to learning a piece of music quickly is to NEVER play a wrong not nor use an incorrect finger from the first time you play it. This may mean playing it very slowly ... but DO it. And if a few highlights help you, go for it.

See my site for the " Best Learning Trick Ever" ... there's even a reminder chart to print out for students.

http://www.thehappypianoprofessor.wordpress.com

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I thought those black ones were just to stop the white ones from rubbing together.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
A
A
I would say learn circle of fifths. Learn to know which are black keys in each key. It's not really that hard. When you look at the sheet music, on the first bar you see either C (which is common or key of C) or number of sharps or flats. Then count the amount of them and refer to sharps/flats I wrote below:

For sharps:
Fat Cats Go Gown Alley Eating Birds

#: F
##: F, C
###: F, C, G
####: F, C, G, D
#####: F, C, G, D, A
######: F, C, G, D, A, E
#######: F, C, G, D, A, E, B

For Flats:
Same as sharps but in reverse

b: B
bb: B, E
bbb: B, E, A
bbbb: B, E, A, D
bbbbb: B, E, A, D, G
bbbbbb: B, E, A, D, G, C
bbbbbbb: B, E, A, D, G, C, F

See the pattern? The Flats are Sharps in reverse. Once you learn the line you can the just count how many sharps or flats you see marked in the sheet music and after practice you'll just learn. And the more you play, the better you'll learn to hear if some note is not fitting in with the rest of the notes if you play it natural when it should have been flat or sharp.

People really hate practicing scales, but it is truly worth the effort. Why? Because when you know you play a song in the key of G then your fingers automatically play all natural except for F which is sharp. This, however, takes lot of practice and is not achiever over few weeks of practicing.

- Artur Gajewski

Working on:
Beethoven - Fur Elise
Chopin - Waltz in A minor
A
A
The way I've been learning them is flats are to the left and sharps are to the right. If you know the note location for the white key to the left is flat and to the right is sharp. Except in the case of B and E (no sharps) and C and F (no flats).

[Linked Image][Linked Image] XXXVII-XXXIX

Casio Privia PX-160
Yamaha PSR-160
Piano Playing since November 2014
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Anita Potter
.......Except in the case of B and E (no sharps) and C and F (no flats).

Anita, there's no reason you should know this yet so early in your piano life, but eventually you will encounter music having e or b-sharps, or c or f flats (not to mention double flats and sharps).

I understand your current perspective of just looking at the black keys, but it might be more useful long term to just think of flats and sharps as whatever note is 1/2 step down or up (left or right) regardless of what color that note is.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Lets not forget, F is just E sharp. And E is Fflat...

If the piano is the King of instruments then I am its loyal servant.
My blog:
https://mymusictree.blogspot.com/

Currently on Barratt Classic Piano Course book 1
Casio AP450

My Facebook Piano Group
A
A
Yep Jim I've seen the double flats and those notes in questions when I was looking up musical notations for the piano. I've yet to come across them in anything that I'm learning yet. I tried reading about them but haven't grasped the concept of what they're used for or how they're even played but I do know I will come across them eventually once I can move away from being a beginner.

[Linked Image][Linked Image] XXXVII-XXXIX

Casio Privia PX-160
Yamaha PSR-160
Piano Playing since November 2014
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I enjoy looking back over the pieces I've played in the past to see what I wrote on them...

Originally Posted by PhilipInChina
I thought those black ones were just to stop the white ones from rubbing together.

Laugh of the day!

Originally Posted by TheHappyPianoMuse
The most important trick to learning a piece of music quickly is to NEVER play a wrong not nor use an incorrect finger from the first time you play it.

This is slightly tangential, but I had my piano teacher howling with laughter at this true story, just under a year ago. The week before, she'd set me a new piece to learn, a little sonata by Scarlatti, persuading me it was now within my reach to play it. I went home, and that evening, all the day's chores behind me, I sat down for my piano time. Had just a table lamp in the far corner, dusk falling outside, and took out the Scarlatti book and set it on the piano. I began to play, slowly, sight-reading, and all was going well until I reached the second section, read the right hand staff and played what I saw. I remember thinking that the G above middle C that I'd just played with my 5 finger didn't sound like it fitted in, and I looked a little closer. The G then promptly walked off and flew away. It was a fruit fly, which had landed on the base of a quarter-note rest sign!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]

time for new glasses maybe??

[Linked Image]XXXVII-XXXVIII
I pray, that tomorrow I may strive to be a little better than I am today - and, on behalf of everybody else, I give thanks for headphones.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Good one!

Learner
M
mek42 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Now I have this image of a maestro playing a virtuoso piece, only to have a swarm of fruit flies fly off when he is done, leaving behind a blank staff. Might make a good Supernatural episode or something.

Anyway, I've started marking up a piece I'm working on (Am, so limited black notes) and have taken the spirit of the discussion here and am doing it how I want to. Specifically, I'm using classical guitar finger identifiers, adding 'T' for left thumb. It really confuses me that piano numbers are the same by finger and not left-to-right. Whatever works, right?

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mek42
Is there any harm in making a copy of a piece not in C (or Am) and highlighting the notes that are black keys? I'm a rank beginner, just added B in the Alfred All-in-One at page 35.

Any other suggestions on learning the black keys?

Instead of coloring the notes, write # or b in front of notes that are sharp or flat. Using # and b symbols to remind yourself is totally cool. Also, if the key of E has a # in front of it, you should play the F (white F). There are two notes like this in every octave when # and b of a white key results in another white key. I'll leave it to you to find the other one.

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
I used to color the notes with a highlighter. But I would do it on a photocopy of the score. As soon as I was comfortable playing the piece and had it under my fingers pretty well I would go back to the original score. It's o.k. to use training wheels when you're starting to learn to play in different keys, but in my opinion you should wean yourself off of them as soon as you can. You may be surprised to find that after playing a few pieces in a particular key that way, you no longer even need the training wheels at the beginning, you're just better able to pay attention to the key signature.

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission