2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
33 members (Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,240 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2361864 12/15/14 11:57 AM
A
OP Offline
A
This is my first post in his room. I have been playing for just less that three years. Hope do do first exam end of next year or 2016. Feedback welcome.

http://youtu.be/XFyqkWQWOz8

Sandy
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Magnifique, magnifique!

With the exception of a major error (please reference the Schirmer score), in terms of arpeggiating the chord in measure # 22, this is a perfect performance.

You are musical beyond belief, and I will send you further information by PM.

Great, great job: And, for those who do not concur, I list a link to a prior recording of this piece made much, much earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8NTjnK8MsI

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Just wanted to help make sure you know to take Louis's comment with that good old grain of salt.

He has a 'thing' about arpeggiation. When you see a post of his, you can almost predict there's going to be something about that -- and, for what it's worth, that hardly anyone will agree with what he says about it.

And that's the case here. There is nothing at all wrong with what you do on that chord. We could all express different opinions on what's best, but what you're doing certainly isn't wrong, and I think it's fine.

My main quibble with what you're doing is some of those hesitations, but even about that, I'd say that as a general thing it's good that you're being flexible with the tempo, even though I think some of the specifics of what you're doing could be improved.

A
OP Offline
A
Thanks for those generous comments. I'm a beginner really and I will take those points to my teacher and ask her views. I haven't looked at the score yet to review the specific parts.
My favourite rendition of this is Horowitz in Moscow where the audience are all in tears. He does spread quite a few of the chords. I'll never be able to play it like him but I like the interpretation.
I first learned this before I could read music properly so I have some engrained errors.

Sandy
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Here is a link to one of the very first analog recordings of the Kinderszenen by a pianist who was Clara Schumann's TA for 20 years. The rolled chord is at 6:30.

Please listen to the entire recording, which will give you a very accurate picture as to how the piece was in intended to be performed by the composer who wrote it. Accordingly, please observe the flexible tempo, as well as the striking of the bass note slightly before the soprano, in order to accentuate the melodic line.

But, then again, this pianist ain't no Dr. Mark C. - what a joke. Gosh, I hope you are not a psychotherapist like he is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ETFnpof3Xc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSWpBtNnynY

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Even though it is difficult to hear, this is the very first recording of the Traumerei (not "ie," as stated by the OP). In that the initial recording, that was posted, was so good, I actually thought the OP was copying this recording.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8NTjnK8MsI

Enjoy, and please read the notes as to the significance of this pianist, and its associated recording. There is a much re-mastered (and clearer) version on my youtube piece on this subject.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission