2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (bcalvanese, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 14 invisible), 2,097 guests, and 324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Just finished grading final exams...so to celebrate I sat down to play a little Scarlatti: Sonata in E Major, K380

Critical feedback appreciated!

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Nice for sitting down and playing it, but needs work. smile

The main thing is rhythmic stuff, which I think you could take care of by listening closely, including maybe listening to the recording, which often reveals these things better than even the most concentrated listening while we're playing. A lot of the piece isn't really even, like almost every time there are 16th notes. Also very often you don't 'hold' notes and beats long enough....this kind of comment is often misunderstood; sometimes people think it's about staccato vs. legato or something like that. That's not what I mean; I mean "when the next note comes in" -- often it comes in too soon. Maybe this kind of thing is clearer if we put it just in terms of not holding beats long enough, and forget about talking about "notes."

Speaking of "staccato"....I think a lot of your short notes are just too short, in view of how you're playing the piece in general. They stick out as too much of a contrast, kind of "clipped." I love contrasts, but that particular kind of thing doesn't work well. I think what's happening is that you're not fully realizing the different kind of impression that is made by pedaled vs. non-pedaled notes and passages. When we have pieces or movements where we're pedaling a lot in some places but not at all in others, it's important to realize the difference in the quality of the sound between the two kinds of places, and make sure that the rest of what we're doing in those places doesn't make it seem like the different parts of the piece don't fit together. I think the way you 'clip' many of the staccato notes keeps those non-pedaled sections from fitting in with the whole of what you're doing. So, I would say you need not to 'clip' those notes so short, or not pedal nearly as much in the piece as a whole. I'm not sure the 'clipping' would work quite that way anyway, but with your pedaling as much as you do, it really doesn't.

And speaking of "contrasts": I think sometimes you're trying too hard, particularly when you suddenly get loud. Some people would say that you shouldn't do that at all; I think you can, but, unless the way it's sounding is a function of how you're doing the recording (I don't think it is), you're pushing it with the fortes way more than what I think the piece can take. Maybe it's not a thing exactly of loudness per se; maybe it's 'touch,' or balance of the hands or voices, I'm not sure. But the impression is of a forte taken too far.

But even through all of that, it sounds like you're playing it with fun and joy. I'd rather hear the piece played with fun and joy and without fixing all the things I'm talking about, than the opposite. grin

Congratulations on finishing grading the papers. For mine own part, I just finished some backlogged reports, and I celebrated by listening to your Scarlatti.

Merry Christmas! smile

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Wow, Mark, thank you so much for your detailed feedback on my Scarlatti! It's just what I needed as I don't have time for lessons anymore.

The message I get from your critique is that I need to pay a lot more attention to rhythm and dynamics...making sure I give each note/beat its full value and avoiding excessive dynamic contrasts. I suspect part of the problem is that I don't yet have control of the piece at tempo so I need to slow it way down and work out the kinks. Perhaps practicing scales (something I never do!) will help with evenness in the 16th note linear passages.

So, I have my work cut out for me over the holidays...but it is pleasant work as I love this piece! I'm glad my joy came through in spite of the technical shortcomings. smile

Many thanks and Merry Christmas/Happy Hanukkah to you too!

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission