2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (AlkansBookcase, AndyOnThePiano2, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, 10 invisible), 2,108 guests, and 311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by UnrightTooner
Originally Posted by Mark Cerisano, RPT
Can you give me some simple examples to try?

Sure!

Go to your piano just like it is and tune G3 until it is a pure 4th with C4. If the C4-D4 M2 is properly tempered, the G3-D4 5th will beat too fast, but not outrageously. Now do the same with making the G3-D4 pure and listen to the G3-C4 4th. Again, the other interval (this time the G3-C4 4th) should beat too fast, but not outrageously.

OK, if everything is perfect then (assuming no inharmonicity)
P4g3d4 =-1.3280 P4bg3c4 = 1.7706 (beatrates).

If D4 was a cent flat then we'd have

P4g3d4 =-1.6671 P4bg3c4 = 2.2229

Is that difference really audible?

If the C4-D4 M2 is out of whack, tune G3-C4 4th at 1bps, then G3-D4 5th at 1/2 bps.

Resulting error in M2 C4D4 is 0.23 cent.

Kees

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Thanks. I will try it. I am going to use this as a test and make an app that asks users to do exactly that. Then ask them to tune CM3 and see if we can measure the error. I'll let you know when it's finished.

The next hurdle is, what will be the "bench mark". It's not an easy question. Apparently there doesn't seem to be a clear answer as to what an imperially correct tuning is, given an iH curve. Whodda thunk? ;-)

How do you judge the correct size of a M2 aurally?

For me, the benchmark is plain: Progressive M3s and M6s, provided that 4ths and 5ths are tempered in the right direction. On some pianos you can't have both, so a jump in the RBI progression is needed. But this is a benchmark that I believe is rarely obtained, so perhaps it should be considered an ideal instead.

How do I judge the correct size of an M2 aurally? Well, not by playing it and listening, that's for sure! Myself, I listen to the 4ths and 5ths that are common to the two notes. Also two M3s or M6s that are two semitones apart (an M2) should be correctly progressive. If not, then the two M2s are tempered differently.

For example: If the G3-B3 M3 beats the same speed as the A3-C#4 M3, then the B3-C#4 M2 is tempered more (is narrower) than the F3-G3 M2. Listening to the SBIs that are common to the notes in each M2 (D4 and F#3) should point out where errors are.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
DoelKees #2375359 01/19/15 09:09 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by DoelKees

Sure!

Go to your piano just like it is and tune G3 until it is a pure 4th with C4. If the C4-D4 M2 is properly tempered, the G3-D4 5th will beat too fast, but not outrageously. Now do the same with making the G3-D4 pure and listen to the G3-C4 4th. Again, the other interval (this time the G3-C4 4th) should beat too fast, but not outrageously.

If the C4-D4 M2 is out of whack, tune G3-C4 4th at 1bps, then G3-D4 5th at 1/2 bps.

Kees

If you are going to assume no iH, then assume 5ths that beat at -0.7bps, please. 5ths are affected much more than 4ths by iH.

Also, can you check your post, please? The P5-G3/D4 is -0.66bps...

As far as what is audible, I am afraid that without some sort of investigation we only have anecdotes. I can separately tune the three notes in a unison as 4ths and 5ths to an M2 and when sounded together it is beatless.

But I think I know what you are getting at. Let's look at it a little differently.

Let's say we are tuning WBW and each SBI is tempered 1.5 cents instead of 2. Would we notice? Maybe not, until G#3 is tuned! But let's say we are refining a temperament and an M2 is off by 1 cent (which also means that the 4th's and 5th's average error is 1/2 cent) would we be able to notice a difference between these 4ths and 5ths and the others? The "Beat Speed Difference Test" says yes.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
M
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
M
As for the Beat Speed Difference test, I have found that the results are not practical. I.e. I can tune up to 3% on the test, but after I tune, record, and measure my temperaments, I'm finding much larger errors.

Possible reasons are:
1) Varying frequencies which produce varying beat speeds.
2) Varying measurements because it depends where I take the measurement.
3) Extraneous noise

I still have some more research to do to determine the effect of these conditions on error.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
As for the Beat Speed Difference test, I have found that the results are not practical. I.e. I can tune up to 3% on the test, but after I tune, record, and measure my temperaments, I'm finding much larger errors.

Possible reasons are:
1) Varying frequencies which produce varying beat speeds.
2) Varying measurements because it depends where I take the measurement.
3) Extraneous noise

I still have some more research to do to determine the effect of these conditions on error.
4) Physical limitations in the pinblock and rendering: 'ya can only get so close.

But have you determined whether there is less error in cents with SBIs compared to RBIs?

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
M
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
M
Hi Jeff,

For me, rendering is not a limitation, it is mearly a condition that can be dealt with. I will be talking about this in Denver.

What kind of physical limitations are you referring to?

Regards,

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Hi Jeff,

For me, rendering is not a limitation, it is mearly a condition that can be dealt with. I will be talking about this in Denver.

What kind of physical limitations are you referring to?

Regards,

Mark C:

I said what kind of physical limitations: pinblock and rendering. You addressed one of them and then asked my what I was referring to. How strange...

Anyhoo, since you do not where the errors are coming from, how can you know where they are not coming from?

Also, since you have decided that the results of the Beat Speed Sensitivity Test do not reflect what really happens when you tune, why do you think another app that compares tuning an M2 with 4th and 5ths (or visa versa?) with tuning CM3 would be realistic either?

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by DoelKees

Sure!

Kees

If you are going to assume no iH, then assume 5ths that beat at -0.7bps, please. 5ths are affected much more than 4ths by iH.

Also, can you check your post, please? The P5-G3/D4 is -0.66bps...

As far as what is audible, I am afraid that without some sort of investigation we only have anecdotes. I can separately tune the three notes in a unison as 4ths and 5ths to an M2 and when sounded together it is beatless.

But I think I know what you are getting at. Let's look at it a little differently.

Let's say we are tuning WBW and each SBI is tempered 1.5 cents instead of 2. Would we notice? Maybe not, until G#3 is tuned! But let's say we are refining a temperament and an M2 is off by 1 cent (which also means that the 4th's and 5th's average error is 1/2 cent) would we be able to notice a difference between these 4ths and 5ths and the others? The "Beat Speed Difference Test" says yes.

Those beatrates are correct. Remember G3C4 beats fast because (per your own instructions!) G3D4 is tuned pure and vice versa.

Redoing with 0.7 per your suggestion:
"tune C4 in G3-C4 4th at 1.4bps, then tune D4 G3-D4 5th at 0.7 bps."

Resulting error in M2 C4D4 is 1.24 cent.

Of course the correct P4 is closer to equal beating with the P5 than to beating twice as fast.

The "Beat Speed Difference Test" Mark put together puts an upper limit to our ability to disciminate beats by presenting interfering pure sine waves. Since what comes out of piano is less clean than that, accuracy will be less when tuning an actual piano. I suspect it is a lot less.

Someone will have to create a similar test with recorded real piano sounds to find out. It will of course depend on the piano, the range, and which particular interval you listen to. I find when checking M3 beatrate progressions (aurally or with a computer) there are usually some M3's with hard to hear (weak) beats.

Kees

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Sorry, Kees, I misunderstood you:

I read:

"OK, if everything is perfect then (assuming no inharmonicity)
P4g3d4 =-1.3280 P4bg3c4 = 1.7706 (beatrates)."

To mean: theoretically the beatrates are... So let me re-respondt to:

"OK, if everything is perfect then (assuming no inharmonicity)

Is that difference really audible?"

Those beatrates aren't what I would be listening for. I would be listening for the beatrates when the 5th beats half the speed of the 4th, but since we are talking theoretical the ratio would be 1:1.35 :

Theoretical: 0.89bps/-0.66bps
With D4 flattened 1.0 cent: 1.12bps/-0.83bps

A tuner might not hear it being wrong all on it's own, but compared to others, yes, I think they would, especially while actually tuning.

And maybe I still haven't had enough coffee this fine Monday:

'Redoing with 0.7 per your suggestion:
"tune C4 in G3-C4 4th at 1.4bps, then tune D4 G3-D4 5th at 0.7 bps."

Resulting error in M2 C4D4 is 1.24 cent.'

Are you referring to where I said:

"If the C4-D4 M2 is out of whack, tune G3-C4 4th at 1bps, then G3-D4 5th at 1/2 bps. Otherwise just tune G3 so the 4th is about twice as fast as the 5th."

If so, the intent is to leave C4 where it is ala WBW and tune the 5th to 1 bps and the 5th to 1/2bps (or 0.7bps with no iH).

I get an error of -0.35 cents on the C4-D4 M2.

But the real intent of the exercise is to see how SBIs can be used to tune and evaluate an M2, not what beatrates would be theoretically perfect. I suspect that change in the 5th's beatrate from 0.7 to 0.5 makes things easier to hear. smile

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Are you referring to where I said:

"If the C4-D4 M2 is out of whack, tune G3-C4 4th at 1bps, then G3-D4 5th at 1/2 bps. Otherwise just tune G3 so the 4th is about twice as fast as the 5th."

If so, the intent is to leave C4 where it is ala WBW and tune the 5th to 1 bps and the 5th to 1/2bps (or 0.7bps with no iH).

OK, I read your sentence in another way.

"Tune G3-C4" is ambiguous and I still don't know which note you want to move when you write "then G3-D4 5th at 1/2 bps".

Anyways, theoretically G3C4 is closer to equal beating with G3D4 than it is to beating twice as fast so would it not be better to make them equal beating in your example? I guess you say inharmonicity changes this but I'm not sure.

For example on a simulated Steinway D tuning, using 4:2/6:3 equal beating octaves I get beat rates
Code
    M3    M6    m3    m6    P4    P5 
G3  7.8   9.0   -11.4 -13.2 0.9   -0.7

On Heintzmann upright with 4:2 octaves I get
Code
G3  7.5   8.7   -12.3 -15.8 0.9   -0.7

With 4:2/6:3 octaves I get
Code
G3  7.7   9.0   -12.2 -15.3 1.1   -0.5

where now the P4 is more than twice as fast as the P5 but this is not a good octave. Something in-between 4:2 and 4:2/6:3 (which sounds good) produces
Code
G3  7.6   8.8   -12.2 -15.6 1.0   -0.6 

with P4 close to twice as fast as P5. So it (get P4 to beat twice as fast as P5) seems to work for the Heintzman but not for the Steinway.

Kees

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Kees:

Someday I may tune an SSD. I'll let you know then how it works out. wink

In the meantime, if you give this exercise a try let me know what you think.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Prout and others:

Have you had the chance to experiment with Spear? Have you come to any conclusions after seeing the notes in Spear?

More generally, has anyone else been experimenting with the Spear program to look at notes? I know that Olek used it a bit, but I haven't seen much discussion. Seems valuable, assuming that it's accurate. Does it raise some questions about things that have been discussed in this thread about tuning to SBI versus RBI? Ie:

1. Is the bandwidth of a partial a bandwidth of simultaneous freqs, or does the fundamental drop out earlier than we might expect on some notes, making other "near-partials" more audible, so that they show up in other spectral analysis programs as having more amplitude than they actually have? These programs take the entire time of the recording of a note, and then graph the relative amplitude of all of the freqs over that time. In other words, in a ten second recording, if one freq was loud at the start, but vanished midway through to be replaced suddenly by another single freq at the same amplitude as the first, the graphed result would show that the recording consisted of two freqs of equal amplitude. The situation with a piano note is of course much more complex, with beats causing some partials to rise and fall in amplitude, etc, but the same averaging problem appears.

2. Does it offer the opportunity for greater precision in choosing whether to tune to the start or the end of a note? I avoid the phrase "tune to the attack," since Spear is sometimes showing a distinct change in partial amplitude well after the attack transients die. I'm not sure if these changes correspond with a given decay stage--the decay of the amplitude of the entire note.

Should I start a separate thread for using Spear? Jeff and others--I don't mean to interrupt your discussion. Analyzing notes in Spear is relevant, but it takes things in a different direction.

Last edited by Jake Jackson; 01/24/15 11:27 AM.
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission