2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2406157 04/03/15 05:39 PM
D
Dreyer Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Recently I noticed that my Kawai VPC1 is not registering the notes correctly. The problem is that when I play a chord for example it registries one of the notes twice, with a much lower volume, giving the impression that I released that note.

An example can be seen in the following MIDI file that I recorded.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xnci3l9x7nou9vl/error_1.mid?dl=0

In the last G chord it records the B twice: First time with a volume of 64 and second time with a volume of 14.

Any ideas what could be the problem?

Physical setup:
-KAWAI VPC1 connected to the computer via the USB cable
-Focusrite 2i2

Softwares:
-Ravencroft 275
-UVIWorkstation
-ASIO4ALL v2.12
-Anvil Studio (for the recording)

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Have you tried plugging the VPC1 right into the USB port and bypassing the Focusrite? It may be a good way to test if it's a software/driver issue or if it's the DP itself.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Your link doesn't work.

D
Dreyer Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Just tried without the Focusrite. The problem is still there...

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Do you have both the midi in and outs connected? That could cause a midi loop if the whole thing is on the same midi channel. Is it possible that something in your software, or combination of software running on your computer, or the midi routing within the software configuration is creating a midi loop? Such a midi loop would cause a note played on your controller to come back to it and through to play another note.

Edit: is there some setting on the controller itself that might be causing this? If there is a factory reset function on your controller, you may want to try that to clear out any possibility of such a midi routing or channel setting.

Tony

Last edited by TonyB; 04/03/15 08:14 PM.

Roland V-Grand
D
Dreyer Offline OP
OP Offline
D
The link is working fine for me. Nevertheless I re-uploaded it in another website:

http://www.filedropper.com/error1

Regarding the MIDI channels I am not using any of them, only the USB to Host interface.

There is no factory reset that I am aware off.

Thanks for the help so far

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Good luck with further investigation. Midi loop just seemed a possible explanation. If that is not it, then really one need to be hands-on to determine the problem unless there is somebody in these forums who has a VPC1 and has an understanding of that particular controller.

Tony

Roland V-Grand
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I suggest you record into some other software, to rule out the possibility that Anvil Studio is the culprit. There is something called MIDI Ox, which doesn't record, but receives the MIDI signal sent by some source, and shows it in a console window.

Don't remember any free sources recording MIDI from a DP, there probably are some, although you can download trial versions of both Notation Composer and MIDI Illustrator from Rallentando. Both can record as MIDI from external MIDI devices.

Can the VPC1 record itself, some internal memory or USB stick?

Last edited by TheodorN; 04/04/15 12:32 PM.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Is it always the same note or notes? Could it be a sensor problem? I think some here have reported erratic midi messages because of a dirty or faulty sensor.

D
Dreyer Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by dire tonic
Is it always the same note or notes? Could it be a sensor problem? I think some here have reported erratic midi messages because of a dirty or faulty sensor.

No. All the notes seems to have this problem.

Originally Posted by TheodorN
Can the VPC1 record itself, some internal memory or USB stick?

No it cannot. I am going to use some of the softwares you mentioned to see if the error persists.

Anyways, It seems that the problem is not so straight forward, I was hoping it would be. I will send an email to KAWAI to see if they have any ideas. If I manage to fix it I will update the thread.

Thanks

Online Content
Dreyer, with the latest VPC1 firmware it's possible to perform a Factory Reset by pressing and holding the power button (while the VPC1 is turned on), then pressing the bottommost (bass) three white keys simultaneously.

The VPC1's firmware can be checked/updated using the VPC Editor software. If you have the VPC Editor already installed, I recommend uninstalling and reinstalling the latest version from the link below:

http://www.kawaivpc.com/en/downloads/

Note that the updating the firmware of the VPC1 will take approximately 8-10 minutes. Please do not attempt to use other software or play the VPC1 while updating.

If the Factory Reset function does not resolve the issue, please contact your Kawai dealer/distributor to report the problem formally.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
C
C
Does anybody has solution for this?
Kindly share with me

Thank

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Curtin1130
Does anybody has solution for this?
Kindly share with me

Are you, like the OP, using UVI+Ravenscroft?

L
L
Hi Dreyer,

Like Dire Tonic suggests and as indicated in your original post, this could be the combination in how our instruments in UVI respond to MIDI and how the VPC1 triple sensor works. We're working with a few customers as well as folks at Kawai to try to get to the bottom of this. We do have a new version of the Ravenscroft 275 library that modifies the way it responds to MIDI note on and note off messages so that it will ignore the 2nd softer strike. It's very obvious in your MIDI file, and I've seen the same thing from my VPC1 and the MIDIs that customers send when describing the problem. What's physically happening is the key is rebounding slightly after you press the key and hold it, thus triggering the 3rd sensor which sends another MIDI note on message without first sending a note off message. Normally this is good when playing repetitions on a real grand as you're not fully lifting the key (lowering the damper fully) before playing the key again. This causes the strings to only be partially dampened which would be simulated in MIDI by allowing more than one note on message without a note off in between so the first note continues to sustain even as a second note is played. Unfortunately even with 3 sensors, it's impossible to tell how far a key is lifted before another strike occurs so the sustain either has to continue at full volume or be cut completely as there is no in between. Eventually when we have controllers with full variable 1-127 values on each key, we'll be able to track the motion much better.

On a real piano where a hammer is too close to the strings at let-off and/or the hammer isn't being caught by the backcheck, you can get double or multiple hits unintentionally. This happens on some weighted controllers with triple sensors. We've noticed some of the 'squibs' (rubber devices that simulate the jack escapment feel at let-off) get in the way of the hammer and will cause these double strikes because the hammer doesn't fully pass through the friction of the squib and is pulled back slightly, thus triggering the third sensor.

Now it only seems noticeable on virtual instruments designed to respond to note off messages, and if a note off isn't received, it doesn't know what to do with the current sustaining sample from the first note on message. Part of this has to do with the way Digital Performer handles MIDI note on and off messages. We do have a fix right now that ignores this and causes the odd behavior to go away but still allows intentional repetitions using the triple sensor. We're still working on this and will work more with Kawai to find a long-term solution.

In the meantime, for the OP and anyone else having this issue with the VPC1 or any triple sensor controller, please contact us via our website vilabsaudio.com to make sure you get the link for this latest version. Also, you can easily delete the unintentional strike events with MIDI editing. Thanks for your understanding and please contact me if you have more questions.

Lance @ VI Labs

Originally Posted by Dreyer
Recently I noticed that my Kawai VPC1 is not registering the notes correctly. The problem is that when I play a chord for example it registries one of the notes twice, with a much lower volume, giving the impression that I released that note.

An example can be seen in the following MIDI file that I recorded.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xnci3l9x7nou9vl/error_1.mid?dl=0

In the last G chord it records the B twice: First time with a volume of 64 and second time with a volume of 14.

Any ideas what could be the problem?

Physical setup:
-KAWAI VPC1 connected to the computer via the USB cable
-Focusrite 2i2

Softwares:
-Ravencroft 275
-UVIWorkstation
-ASIO4ALL v2.12
-Anvil Studio (for the recording)

Lance @ VI Labs
www.vilabsaudio.com
C
C
Yes i am using UVI + Ravenscroft 275. I installed Ravenscroft 275 again according to VL Labs instruction. It seems better than before. VI Labs has amended Ravenscroft 275 software to ignore the second repeated midi notes but i can still discover the odd behaviour occasionally.

I hope they can amend software further.

Thank you for replies

C
C
VL Labs gave me fixed version file and the problem has been settled.
If anyone encounter this issue, please contact VI Labs

Thank you for many replies

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission