2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,220 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2423374 05/22/15 12:07 AM
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Aggg, I'd forgotten how much I treasured this last year! Nothing to do but retreat into music with a whole lot of people who like to do the same thing!

It's not just piano, but chamber ensembles. There's a reading orchestra that the pianists don't participate in but this year the pianists now have their own studio class at which they can share a solo piece and then perform it on Saturday.

I wasn't going to share anything but two pianist friends from last year who are also participating again this year encouraged me to step up to the plate and do it. So I will. I'll share the Brahms 118/2 and perform it. On a real stage. With an enormous Steinway D and a spotlight. *shudder*

Tomorrow starts coaching with my ensemble, which is the Prokofiev flute sonata. We'll be participating in a recital of it on Monday.

Anyway, great fun. We started the piano studio class today and seven pianists including myself. We've got:

Chopin – Nocturne in G Minor, Op. 15 No. 3
Chopin – Mazurka in C# Minor, Op. 50 No. 3
Bach – Partita No. 1 in Bb Major
Mozart – Piano Sonata No. 12 in F Major, K. 332
III. Allegro assai
Brahms – Sechs Klavierstücke, Op. 118
II. Intermezzo in A Major: Andante teneramente)
Schumann – Waldenszenen, Op. 82 (selections)
Chopin – Piano Sonata No. 3 in B Minor, Op. 58
I. Allegro maestoso

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Is it a secret where this piano camp is, and its name? Have a great time!

P
P
Sounds like fun, enjoy it!

Please, DO NOT miss out on the opportunity to perform the Brahms on a STEINWAY D! It's the kind of piece that requires such high-end piano, so it should be glorious to play it on that beast.

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
No, it's not a secret, particularly! It's at the Curtis Institute of Music, which is a conservatory in Philadelphia. Its facilities are really terrific and the people are beyond spectacular! It's a pretty small conservatory and the summer program itself is rather intimate so you really get to know everybody.

I enjoy every minute of it.

There's a distinct possibility I will simply move in under one of the many beautiful pianos in the practice rooms and they will have to drag me out while I maintain a death grip on one of the legs.

Because I live in Philadelphia, it didn't make sense for me to stay at Curtis in their dorms, but had I done so, I could have practiced all night. As it was, I had to leave at 11 and did so leaving my four hand partner from last year still hard at work with her ensemble. I think my key card starts working again at 6am. I plan to find out!

Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Enjoy every minute! You must be a kid in a candy store this week. Keep us posted and we will understand if you are posting at 2 am Eastern time. smile

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Have fun TwoSnowflakes!

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Well, I demo-ed the Brahms, and in front of a pretty intimidating group of only pianists. I made three or four serious errors in the first section from nerves, but recovered and had some pretty long stretches there where I was playing how I wanted to play.

The reaction was positive! As always, there were so many things I normally do but couldn't do because of the general inability to ignore the setting. There are parts of it I don't even remember playing so they can't have been that good, but I'm fairly certain they weren't that bad, either. And that's an improvement. But I know in general I got to show what I want to do with it and I think it was at least moderately clear that over time and with exposure to people listening I can expand that confidence to the whole piece.

Tomorrow we do the open recital, and I'll get about 5-7 minutes at the piano onstage before they shunt us backstage to practice pianos in the wing behind the recital hall. The recital is being advertised as a free piano recital at street level, but I'm hoping that nobody notices the sign, haha. I think that if it is a very small crowd, I stand a good chance of not playing any worse than the demo version today.

Then it's more coaching for the Prokofiev. It's a tough piece and I seize up in places when I feel like I have to drive the tempo. The flutist, while a pleasant enough player, is a bit hesitant and is often behind the beat and then the tempo drags because she doesn't really fit herself to the piano part. So it's kind of up to me to wait a smidge and bring us back together because I'm always cognizant of what she's doing and how the parts make the whole. Of course, my problem is that while I have the shape, tempo and structure all set, I'm not always 100% note accurate so it feels sloppy to me in places and phrasing suffers when I'm simply trying not to totally blow the notes. I hope I can tidy that up by Monday's recital.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission