2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,137 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
cfit Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Here's another beginner question:

Since thumbs are shorter than fingers I have more difficulty playing black keys with my thumbs, particularly when I am playing white keys at the same time. It seems like I can either cock my hand to the side, which brings the black key under my thumb (while moving the fingers on white out of position) or push my hand forward so that the black key is under my thumb (but now I'm playing white keys in the narrow space between black keys).

I've looked at older threads that discuss whether thumbs should ever be used on black keys, but I've decided that I want to make use of all the digits I have, so I resist the temptation to replace thumb with finger on the black keys.

Any advice for the best way to handle this?

Thanks.

I had the same question for my instructor. He said to play it however it is comfortable. Resist cocking your hand to the point where it hurts and it is fine to play the white keys near the back between the black keys. I got used to it that way.

I'm sure more experienced players here will be able to answer better.

Not on Facebook, but pretty visible at Google+
https://plus.google.com/+DruMorgan

I agree with Dru on this. My teacher has me play the white keys further up so that if I'm using a thumb on a black key I don't have to contort my wrist at all.

At first this was difficult to do because there is less space when playing the white keys in between the black keys (and also my fingers are somewhat fat!) but after a few months of practice I no longer notice that it is difficult and it feels much nicer than trying to twist your wrist into uncomfortable positions.

Half way through Alfred's Adult All in One - Level 2

https://soundcloud.com/blackjack1777/
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Isn't there a general bit of advice that you avoid using your thumb and pinky on black keys, but sometimes when you have to, you do?

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Bach and Mozart were fine with the thumb on black notes. I'm forever changing given fingerings for students done by those who either don't care or don't know. Obviously you do what you want though!

Laissez tomber les mains
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
I simply can't fit most of my fingers between the black keys without playing all three, so I have to re-finger or even re-arrange to make something workable. I do use the thumb on black keys sometimes, often it's when doing a slide-off to an adjacent white key.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Originally Posted by blackjack1777

I agree with Dru on this. My teacher has me play the white keys further up so that if I'm using a thumb on a black key I don't have to contort my wrist at all.

At first this was difficult to do because there is less space when playing the white keys in between the black keys (and also my fingers are somewhat fat!) but after a few months of practice I no longer notice that it is difficult and it feels much nicer than trying to twist your wrist into uncomfortable positions.

Well timed, I am wondering exactly that with my new favorite mourning piece. In the main verse, measures 3&4, I believe the 'C flat' is a natural B and play it almost at the top of the key and feel a torque on my hand.

And to think a couple months ago I grumbled that a piece that had a paltry five flats.

Last edited by tbonesays; 06/04/15 04:56 AM.

"Motivation is simple, you eliminate anyone who isn't motivated." - Lou Holtz.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission