2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 10 invisible), 1,847 guests, and 273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Yesterday afternoon I spent a wonderful two hours at Cunningham with Rich as my personal tour guide. smile

I will sort through my photos later this morning and post them when I can. Some highlights:

1) A complete tour of their facility, both the showroom, restoration and preparation factory, and a pipe organ demo!

2) I had the opportunity to play many fine instruments, including a Bosendorfer, Estonia, and of course, a Matchless Parlour Grand.

3) Had a personal 10 minute performance of Beethoven by a young man who is simply fabulous and quite personable. Rich can provide the name of this young man and the time of his performance this Sunday I believe? Anybody within a reasonable distance should try to attend.

Back with more details later. I'm still recovering from my "Three hours at a Rush concert" last night. shocked

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Brian,

Have you seen the Rush documentary that's on Netflix? If you haven't, it's a must see. Even my wife who only tolerates Rush liked the story/film.

Sorry for the drift everyone. I left it on the public forum because we may have other closet prog-rock fans.

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
No problem KurtZ, I'm a huge Rush fan, have been for 30 years.

OK, some pics: (Fifth one is me, the sixth is the young pianist mentioned above.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Looks great. Did you buy a piano?

Poetry is rhythm
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I did not, as that decision had been made over a year ago. This was more of a "get the golden tour of a real piano factory" trip than a "what piano will I buy" trip.

However, had I visited Cunningham before our purchase, things would have become very interesting.

When you get to play pieces you know and practice every day on high-end pianos, as well as on a piano that would be in my price range, that in itself is a great experience.

The only negative aspect of my visit was that every time Rich approached while I was playing something I started to screw it up. shocked

Message to Rich: I've been playing that Beethoven piece all night at the required speed without mistakes, so yes the problem was you. wink

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Ha! I was just there Wednesday Am still in Philly, but suffering from a lousy internet connection that makes working with pictures a real pain.

When I get back to Bowling Green I'll tell my story, but Rich and crew are so generous and hospitable!

Isn't that Cunningham parlor grand wonderful?

Forrest

Last edited by Forrest Halford; 06/26/15 10:56 PM. Reason: wednesday, not tuesday

Mompou, Cancion y Danza #6
some Chopin, some Bach (always), Debussy
My beliefs are only that unless I can prove them.
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Forrest Halford
Isn't that Cunningham parlor grand wonderful?

Indeed it is. The action was perfect to my taste, and the sound overall was quite frankly better than anything I've heard in that price range.

The bottom line is, whether or not you are actively looking to purchase a piano, a trip to Cunningham is a MUST if you are anywhere near the Philly area. And if there is a nicer and more knowledgeable host than Rich and his staff I've yet to meet them.

Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Brian,

It was a pleasure spending some time with you. I am happy to share when I have such an enthusiastic audience. That goes for Forrest as well. You and Forrest were so willing to learn that everyone enjoyed sharing with you. Thank you both for taking the time to visit.

Originally Posted by BrianDX

Message to Rich: I've been playing that Beethoven piece all night at the required speed without mistakes, so yes the problem was you. wink

The problem was me? I am sure you are right. That is what my wife has been telling me for years. wink

Forrest,

Enjoy Old City Philly - you must get ice cream at The Franklin Fountain - 116 Market St. - also right next to it is Shane's Candy where they make everything from scratch. Call me for more tips. Enjoy!

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Rich,

Is that Curt in the second picture?

Barbara
...without music, no life...
Online Content
Who's that good looking guy in the first picture???

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Who's that good looking guy in the first picture???

I've read somewhere that he sings better than Garrick Ohlson!

Forrest

Mompou, Cancion y Danza #6
some Chopin, some Bach (always), Debussy
My beliefs are only that unless I can prove them.
R
R
That place is a candy store for pianists! I have been there twice and Rich is such a great host, even when he knows we are just "tire kickers". That Cunningham concert grand was what was amazing to me. Wow, sounded like a Mason-Hamlin but much less expensive. A great piano. Thanks, Rich, for your hospitality.

Mason-Hamlin "A" and Schlicker 2 manual and pedal pipe organ
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Brian DX
Had a personal 10 minute performance of Beethoven by a young man who is simply fabulous and quite personable. Rich can provide the name of this young man and the time of his performance this Sunday I believe? Anybody within a reasonable distance should try to attend.

Sorry Brian. I should have mentioned this earlier. Benjamin Dannibale is a really fine young pianist in the Philly area.

He is frequently involved in solo and ensemble engagements in and around the Philadelphia area. I was truly impressed with his recent performance in RAVEL 1-2-3, a concert he organized of music for solo piano, concerto, and piano trio by Maurice Ravel.

All Beethoven Recital Today - June 28th at 3 pm at our showroom. Reception to follow. Catering provided by Le Bus. (which is always great stuff). Call me if you are coming!

Originally Posted by Forrest Halford

I've read somewhere that he sings better than Garrick Ohlsson!

Forrest

This comment needs explanation, I think. A few years back Garrick used a piano from us at the last minute because he preferred an Imperial over what the local venue provided. We wound up spending some time together at a reception and he gave me a signed headshot, but he signed it:

Dear Rich, I wish I could sing like you. Garrick

To be fair, he has never actually heard me sing. He just knows that I am a singer and he was being a nice guy.

Originally Posted by RickG1
Thanks, Rich, for your hospitality.

Anytime Rick. Since your daughter is in the area consider this your "piano home away from home".

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Music Me
Rich,

Is that Curt in the second picture?

That is Joe Cossolini, a wonderful action man whose hands were featured in Art Reblitz book for piano techs. years ago. Joe has been around the block a few times. wink

I believe you have met him, though, Music Me.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Brian and Forrest,

Don't cheat yourselves out of the complete Cunningham experience!! Buying a piano from Rich is way more fun than than the factory tour or trying out pianos. thumb

Happy 4th, Rich! grin

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by JimF
Brian and Forrest,

Don't cheat yourselves out of the complete Cunningham experience!! Buying a piano from Rich is way more fun than than the factory tour or trying out pianos. thumb

Happy 4th, Rich! grin

Thank you Jim. I had a great 4th and I hope you did as well.

I don't often see you on "this side of the forum". Thank you for checking in, and if I may say so, based on your MOYD badges you must be much improved since last I heard you play. If you are passing through on your way north, stop in. It would be good to see you.

Cheers,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JimF
Brian and Forrest,

Happy 4th, Rich! grin

Well JimF, the "buying a grand piano" train left the station for us many months before I had a chance to visit Rich in Philadelphia. Although we are very happy with our piano, I can tell you that had we visited Cunningham before the purchase, we would have had a difficult and interesting decision to make.

What there is no doubt about in my mind that had we bought at Cunningham our "post purchase" dealer experience would have been superior to what we have actually had at our dealer so far.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
I don't often see you on "this side of the forum". Thank you for checking in, and if I may say so, based on your MOYD badges you must be much improved since last I heard you play. If you are passing through on your way north, stop in. It would be good to see you.

Hi Rich. Hard to believe its been five years!

Usually remain in lurk mode, but often check out what's going on up in the piano forum. I've actually been looking for an excuse to get up your way so that I can check out the new Cunninghams, as well as the new Estonia 210's. I don't know why, since my tuner/tech tells me the L190 just gets better and better every time he works on it. smile And my wife would demand a new house if I got a piano any larger. sick

As for the playing, well, I keep at it diligently but results, as you know, are incremental and glacially slow in coming. cry At my teacher's recital in May I declared myself a normal nine-year old. wink

Jim

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Rich and Cunningham Pianos come to mind all over the place. I am just back from a marvelous Alaska tour, and in Metlakatla on a tour I came across an 1885 Mason and Hamlin organ, which holds pride of place in the local museum. As Cunningham Pianos (and Rich) were the source of my wonderful Mason and Hamlin piano, of course I thought of them!

Last edited by Rank Piano Amateur; 07/10/15 02:57 PM.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission