2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, 8 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D
I'm using either Senn HD595 (which I love but find too hot for the summer months) or more often a pair of old PX100 which are so much more comfortable though they're slightly bass-heavy and lack the airy top-end of the 595s. To replace the PX100 I'm looking for something physically similar so:-

v.lightweight in-ear or on-ear - positively no cups or noise-cancelling
value for money - no audiophile stuff but not dirt-cheap.
As sonically honest as possible (I hate exaggerated bass)

Would appreciate recommendations.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
HiFiMan RE-400 are decent.

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Shure SE215 in-ear "earbuds". Around $100, and worth it.

They have (supposedly) a slight bass boost, but I haven't noticed it. They're not "boomy" at all.

Very comfortable in hot weather. But you have to accept stuff inside your ears -- some people just can't adjust to that.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
AKG K451(on-ear) is portable (folds up into its case) and has a detachable cable, and it sounds good. And it costs less than £40 these days.

However, the Klipsch Image X10 earphones has even better sound quality, but costs a lot more (even though now at £100, which is less than half its original price....). Mine is the X10i which I use with my iPods. Its sound is very natural sounding - stunning, in fact.

If music be the food of love, play on!
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Comfort-wise, I prefer in-ear headphones over around/on ear headphones, but I've not been able to find something that matches the sound quality, or -wider- sound stage of the bigger headphones.

The Shure SE846 ($1,000) supposedly use 4 drivers (two for lower end; 1 for mids; 1 for highs). I wonder how good these are.

D
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D
I think I may have ground myself to a halt on all of this but that might be for the best at the moment and so I thank everyone for their suggestions which helped a lot.

Following your leads I went to amazon to research reading through the one-star reviews for those products which get an overall score minimum 4 stars. What bothered me most about a lot of the good value - good sound at a sensible price - in-ear offerings (I've now learnt these are called IEM by the cognoscenti) is that the cables are prone to damage. Surprisingly few of the 5-star reviewers kick up a fuss about this so I guess a) it's to be expected and b) they've got enough dosh to replace them periodically. In contrast, I'm tight-fisted enough to hang on to a nearly-functioning pair of 40-year old sennheisers.

Thanks, Charles, for pulling me up short to the realisation that IEMs are probably not for me anyway. I use earbuds most of the time with my laptop but never with the spongy caps preferring to drop them loosely into my ears' cartilage where they seem to hang reliably. Generally I'd rather have a draught in and around my head and almost certainly up-market buds will only deliver their full potential if they're sealed in to the ear canal.

So, that leaves me with on-ear (OEMs?). I liked the look of the AKGs and was really wowed by the massive price reduction but then was put off by 'trusted' reviews which, while acknowledging the comfort round the ears, noticed a firm headband grip - probably for joggers but I’m usually static and prefer a gentle squeeze. Also they rate them strong on bass. That's my chief no-no.

But those discounts are amazing. It's obviously better to wait until these things have been superseded and then buy the older model. For the moment though, I think I'm going to put up with my px-100s and wind up the top-end a couple of notches. Thanks again to all.

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
. . . Generally I'd rather have a draught in and around my head and almost certainly up-market buds will only deliver their full potential if they're sealed in to the ear canal. . . .

That's right. You need a good seal, to get good bass.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission